Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 356 Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I agree Mike - this is an excellent write up/comparison. I really enjoyed it and the pics too!
Fantastic job, Craig!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 356 Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Excellent write up! If I could afford the Plats I'd go for them but I think I'll have to settle for the 8200e!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #183 of 356 Old 06-03-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Excellent write up! If I could afford the Plats I'd go for them but I think I'll have to settle for the 8200e!

I have made the mistake of reading his well written post and am now thinking about getting 6 of the platinum LRs and a CC. Time to short some stocks.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #184 of 356 Old 06-03-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

That is hardly "settling". I predict you will *love* them. I thoroughly enjoyed mine. They were a huge upgrade over the Klipsch RB-75's I had before them.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #185 of 356 Old 06-03-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I have made the mistake of reading his well written post and am now thinking about getting 6 of the platinum LRs and a CC. Time to short some stocks.

If the budget allows, the Platinums are just awesome. I don't know how to "short" stocks, but if it allows a Triad Platinum purchase, I'm all ears!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #186 of 356 Old 06-08-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I can agree with what Craig said his AT setup sounded fantastic and I don't think it would "settling" to get the 8200e's for a HT system.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #187 of 356 Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Triad's:
Hi Craig,

For others who may be inclined to Platinums, especially likely after that great review, just wondering why not use another of the LCR units for the center, instead of the horizontally configured one, being that in the AT setup all are hidden from view. I'm sure they are sonically well matched in either case, but was there some particular reason?
post #188 of 356 Old 06-08-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Hi Craig,
For others who may be inclined to Platinums, especially likely after that great review, just wondering why not use another of the LCR units for the center, instead of the horizontally configured one, being that in the AT setup all are hidden from view. I'm sure they are sonically well matched in either case, but was there some particular reason?

It was too expensive nib. He bought the speakers used and the previous owner only had the center . I believe that's right?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #189 of 356 Old 06-08-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 176
You also have the issue of horizontal dispersion of the tweeter. I'd think you'd want a CC instead of a LR for center channel duty.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #190 of 356 Old 06-08-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was too expensive nib. He bought the speakers used and the previous owner only had the center . I believe that's right?
From what I remember Craig saying, this is correct. But I think his first choice may have been three speakers that were the same. Again, I am guessing here.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #191 of 356 Old 06-09-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

That makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

You also have the issue of horizontal dispersion of the tweeter. I'd think you'd want a CC instead of a LR for center channel duty.
That doesn't. tongue.gif
post #192 of 356 Old 06-13-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hi Craig,

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

From what I remember Craig saying, this is correct. But I think his first choice may have been three speakers that were the same. Again, I am guessing here.

Quote:

That makes perfect sense.
Hi Roger,

I just returned from vacation and saw these posts. As Kevin and Mike said, I bought the speakers used, and the set came with a CC. My preference would have been for a 3rd LCR, but beggars can't be choosers. smile.gif My previous Atlantic Technology system was 3 identical LCR's across the front soundstage:

That system was solid, seamless and very cohesive. The exact timbre-match of 3 identical speakers, all mounted at the same, ear-height, is the ideal front soundstage, and that system exhibited all the ideal properties associated with that arrangement.

The Triad Platinum CC gets as close to the ideal as possible with a horizontally arranged speaker. It uses the exact same drivers, in the exact same internal volume box, with the exact same alignment of the MTM as the LCR. The crossover is slightly tweaked to account for the horizontal arrangement of the woofers, but otherwise it's the exact same speaker. On axis, it measures very similar to the LCR:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/triad-inroom-platinum-speaker-system-measurements
Nonetheless, as you can also see from those measurements, it does exhibit some of the usual off axis anomalies associated with horizontally aligned speakers, especially in the 200 to ~600 Hz range:

Fig.3: Platinum Center, pseudo-anechoic response at 45° (red) and 60° (blue) off-axis in the horizontal plane.

It's not a huge deal to me because I do all my critical listening on-axis, in the sweet spot, and it sounds fine there. I know only a few people who would have any idea what to listen for if they were sitting off-axis. When they're here, I give 'em the sweet spot. smile.gif (although, honestly, on those occasions when I do sit of-axis, I always surprised at how good the system sounds in those less-than-ideal LP's)

More importantly, as you can see from the picture you linked above, I have all 3 tweeters mounted at the exact same height. When Dennis and I built the stands, we were very precise about the height of the CC stand to make sure we got the tweeters aligned perfectly. This is probably more important than the horizontal arrangement of the speaker. The central image is exactly where it needs to be to solidify the front soundstage. So many people mount their CC above or below their display. That, to me, is a bigger compromise than a horizontally aranged center speaker.

I was skeptical about CC before I bought this set, but I was fortunate to get an in-home audition of the the speakers before I purchased. I think it took about 3 minutes for me to make up my mind. I put on Dire Straits, Money For Nothing, MC SACD. When the drums came in, the hair on my neck stood up, I got goosebumps and couldn't breathe. It was almost scary how incredible it sounded. We listened to a bunch of other stuff before I told the guy I would take them... but I *knew* right away. smile.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #193 of 356 Old 06-13-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Hi Jim,

A horizontally aligned speaker will exhibit response anomalies that a vertically aligned speaker won't exhibit. See the Stereophile measurements I linked in the above post. 3 identical, vertically aligned speakers, all mounted at the same height and aimed at the listening position is absolutely the best possible front soundstage. A horizontal CC is a compromise, any way you look at it.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #194 of 356 Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

hey Im using the same stands you have for my system 450 e biggrin.gif well the ones you used with your 8200s

post #195 of 356 Old 06-13-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

hey Im using the same stands you have for my system 450 e biggrin.gif well the ones you used with your 8200s
Yeah, they're great stands. They weren't rated to handle the weight of the 8200e's, but they did just fine. They were a little "tippy", but with the screen down, no one got near them anyway. smile.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #196 of 356 Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

They were a little "tippy", but with the screen down, no one got near them anyway. smile.gif Craig

I've had that problem before when I exceeded my allotment of two glasses of wine!

I still want to get up there and hear the "tied-for-first" (tongue.gif )world's best home theater system. My only concern is I might end up liking "wides" and then I have to convince the bride that Mark Seaton needs more of my money!!

Or worse yet, wanting to put my center channel behind my screen. THAT would be serious, serious, serious money !!
post #197 of 356 Old 06-19-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

I've had that problem before when I exceeded my allotment of two glasses of wine!
Lightweight!!! biggrin.gif
Quote:

I still want to get up there and hear the "tied-for-first" (tongue.gif )world's best home theater system. My only concern is I might end up liking "wides" and then I have to convince the bride that Mark Seaton needs more of my money!!
You're welcome, Mark. biggrin.gif
Quote:

Or worse yet, wanting to put my center channel behind my screen. THAT would be serious, serious, serious money !!
That would be money well spent. Not only would you get the dialogue to the proper location, you would get that CC standing up vertically. And it wouldn't be all that expensive, (relatively speaking), if you used a motorized, drop-down screen, like mine. OTOH, if you wanted to build a false wall, that would start run into some serious change. eek.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #198 of 356 Old 06-19-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be money well spent. Not only would you get the dialogue to the proper location, you would get that CC standing up vertically. And it wouldn't be all that expensive, (relatively speaking), if you used a motorized, drop-down screen, like mine. OTOH, if you wanted to build a false wall, that would start run into some serious change. eek.gif
Craig

I already have the false wall. There is about 18 inches between it and the real wall and the Catalyst is only about 14 inches deep if I recall. The cost is the new screen material, modifying the existing false wall and building some kind of support for the speaker and then figuring out how to power it up since I would no longer have access to the power switch on the rear. I really don't have any desire for a drop down screen but without it, getting to the center speakers (e.g repair) would be ugly at best (e.g removing the screen and frame from the wall)
post #199 of 356 Old 06-19-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Craig

I already have the false wall. There is about 18 inches between it and the real wall and the Catalyst is only about 14 inches deep if I recall. The cost is the new screen material, modifying the existing false wall and building some kind of support for the speaker and then figuring out how to power it up since I would no longer have access to the power switch on the rear. I really don't have any desire for a drop down screen but without it, getting to the center speakers (e.g repair) would be ugly at best (e.g removing the screen and frame from the wall).

I guess I need to ask in some other forums how those who have center channels behind fixed screens access the speaker? (My wife is going to kill me)
post #200 of 356 Old 06-19-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I already have the false wall. There is about 18 inches between it and the real wall and the Catalyst is only about 14 inches deep if I recall. The cost is the new screen material, modifying the existing false wall and building some kind of support for the speaker and then figuring out how to power it up since I would no longer have access to the power switch on the rear. I really don't have any desire for a drop down screen but without it, getting to the center speakers (e.g repair) would be ugly at best (e.g removing the screen and frame from the wall).
I guess I need to ask in some other forums how those who have center channels behind fixed screens access the speaker? (My wife is going to kill me)

Borrowing a pic from your thread, is the false wall the black wall behind the speakers?

Is that acoustically transparent? I always thought it was acoustic *treatments*. Also, remember, if you move your speakers closer to the back wall, you'll magnify the SBIR off that wall. Audyssey may be able to deal with it... maybe not.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #201 of 356 Old 06-19-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Third attempt!!

Here is the false wall being built. The fake wall was built to get the length of the room to be what the room designer wanted:

False wall with screen on it (previous speakers):

I then added acoustic treatment to (a) remove the effects of the hard surfaced walls and (b) hide the masking system. It sits about 5 inches in front of the fake wall. It is anything but acoustically transparent as the top and bottom are 1 inch Owens 703 and the sides are 1 inch RPG BAD Panels.

I believe I could easily cut into the center of the fake wall behind the screen and place the Catalyst but really don't know how I would access it for repairs or anything else without taking the entire screen down. I might also want to cut a larger opening so that I could weather/moister seal those windows since the back of the Catalyst would be very close to it.

As I post these pictures and think about what would need to be done to make this work, I get cold sweats. Maybe I won't come to visit after all confused.gif

I also have no interest in moving the left and right speaker any closer to the front wall. Soundstage depth would go in the toilet plus this is where I get reasonably good FR prior to Audyssey.
post #202 of 356 Old 06-19-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

In my case, piano hinges:

IMG_0225.JPG

Quote:

also, remember, if you move your speakers closer to the back wall, you'll magnify the SBIR off that wall.

But you also raise the frequencies that it affects, which makes it easier to treat with absorption.
post #203 of 356 Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

In my case, piano hinges:
IMG_0225.JPG
But you also raise the frequencies that it affects, which makes it easier to treat with absorption.

I never thought about piano hinges but I would still need to think through it as I have a masking system attached to the screen. Thanks.

Does your screen hang free at the bottom or is it attached somenow?
post #204 of 356 Old 06-19-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Just hangs, and fits snugly against panels at the bottom and sides
post #205 of 356 Old 07-01-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I spent a nice afternoon over at Craig's house yesterday. It was the first time I have been over since the changes were made. The chairs are very comfy. Plus, I have to admit, the auto recline is pretty cool. The picture from that projector is just sick. But I will get to that in a sec. First we listened to some music. It sounded really good. With all of the speakers going you were really envolped in the music. It was quite cool. So we did that for a little while. Then Craig put on Avatar. Holy crap did that look fantastic. The colors and clarity were out of this world. Plus, with a picture as big as Craig has, it only adds to the experience. Also, the sound from that movie was so good it was scary. The motion arround the room plus the clarity of the dialog plus the bass made it quite the moive watching experience. We watched about an hour and a half of that. Then we switched movies to Star Trek. That also was just insane. The black start field with the ship against was so good looking. Plus with this movie, Craig was able to fill the entire screen with the picture. I was really impressed. Plus the audio was just so dynamic and clear. We listend to -3db all day and it was not a strain at all. So I can say without restraint, that Craig has put together one of the best HT I have ever experienced. It was a fun day. Then I went back to my room and watched TFDOTM. It sounded great but going down to a 42in TV made me frown.gif.

My System

post #206 of 356 Old 07-01-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Well, I spent a nice afternoon over at Craig's house yesterday. It was the first time I have been over since the changes were made.
Yes, it was a great afternoon. smile.gif We don't do this often enough.

Quote:
The chairs are very comfy. Plus, I have to admit, the auto recline is pretty cool.
I really like these Acoustic Innovations chairs. They're comfy and attractive. I'm glad you liked them.

Quote:
First we listened to some music. It sounded really good. With all of the speakers going you were really envolped in the music. It was quite cool. So we did that for a little while.
The DSX Wides do add a sense of envelopment that seems "missing" when it's turned off. The "gap" between the front soundstage and the side surrounds is filled in and the whole soundfield becomes more immersive and enveloping. It works best with multi-channel music and that's what we listened to. With the limited time we had, we didn't get to listen to any 2-channel. We'll do that next time. smile.gif

Quote:
The picture from that projector is just sick. But I will get to that in a sec.
Quote:
Then Craig put on Avatar. Holy crap did that look fantastic. The colors and clarity were out of this world. Plus, with a picture as big as Craig has, it only adds to the experience. Also, the sound from that movie was so good it was scary. The motion arround the room plus the clarity of the dialog plus the bass made it quite the moive watching experience. We watched about an hour and a half of that. Then we switched movies to Star Trek. That also was just insane. The black start field with the ship against was so good looking. Plus with this movie, Craig was able to fill the entire screen with the picture. I was really impressed. Plus the audio was just so dynamic and clear. We listend to -3db all day and it was not a strain at all. So I can say without restraint, that Craig has put together one of the best HT I have ever experienced. It was a fun day.
Thanks Mike!!! It was a fun day. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. And your kind words mean a lot because I know how passionate you are about this hobby of ours.
Quote:
Then I went back to my room and watched TFDOTM. It sounded great but going down to a 42in TV made me frown.gif.
Well, as with anything else, quality is always more important than quantity. The picture quality on your display is second to none. I would take an excellent, smaller picture over a mediocre, larger picture any day. So, instead of this: frown.gif, you should have this: smile.gif. IOW, just enjoy what you have because it's darn good!. smile.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #207 of 356 Old 07-01-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Craig. OK. I will turn that frown.gif upside down smile.gif. I do like the way my picture looks. I really think that it is very clear and clean. If I watch Avatar on my TV, I am impressed with how it looks. But, I will say that watching it on your screen just added more, And I don't mean just the bigger picture. There are points in Avatar where they have scrolling words or infomation on their screens in the movie. Like when they do the video log. On you big screen, I could see all that very clearly. It was very cool to be able to read that. It really brought you into the movie more. On my TV, while the picture is simply stunning, scenes like that lose their impact a bit because I can't read everything. I can read some things, but not all. That's all I meant. But I figure I make up for that on the audio side so it sort of evens out.

I agree that it would great if we could do this more often. I was really close to asking about just 2ch but I know how much you like using the MC stuff so I figured we could just stick with that. I know this is your thread but I will give a quick update for me here. Do you remember what I said about the chiars moving. I said something like "wow, those Crowsons really feel good. But not like mine." You asked something like "are yours more?" I answered "Nope, yours are." Then we had a little chat about it. When I came home i just moved it up a smidge because as we said, that amp is very sensitive. Well, when I watched TFDOTM, I could tell that little bit made a difference. Now I really like the way it feels. I am going to double check but I still may be just below 3. Anyway, I hope we can do this again biggrin.gif.

My System

post #208 of 356 Old 07-01-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 19
Hi Craig and Mike. Next time you come up, we'll have to spend some time at my theater too. It's not quite up to Craig's system, but it's slowly getting there. smile.gif

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #209 of 356 Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Dennis, I would love to hear your theater. Too bad we could not meet up this past time. If I remember correctly, the only "not there" part are the subs. I think you have your Legacy speakers, great electronics, projector and screen. All you need are maybe more treatments, your subs, and if you want them, dedicated theater chairs. But I am sure your system also kicks butt. It's a little bit of a haul but it is fun when I can find time to do it. I would like to check out your system when you think it may be further along. Maybe with your subs? Are you going to order Seaton SubMersive subs? I can imagine though that those Legacy speakers are quite dynamic as well. Anyway, I had a great afternoon smile.gif.

My System

post #210 of 356 Old 07-02-2012, 07:03 AM

Liked: 12
Looks like I found the Eastern/Lancaster PA crowd, glad to see some folks in my neck of the woods.. just thought I'd say hi.smile.gif

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page