AVS Forum banner

craig john's theater

114K views 618 replies 71 participants last post by  gregavi 
#1 · (Edited)
Updated on 8-13-2022 to show the current state of the theater:

In 2009, I upgraded my speaker system with a full set of Triad speakers. The fronts are Platinum LCR's with a Platinum CC:

The deep red burgundy drapes in this pic were hand-made by my wife.

I bought these speakers "used" and the set came with the horizontal CC. Even though it is a horizontal CC, it uses the same vertical MTM driver array as the L/R's. It also uses the exact same drivers as the L/R's. The only significant different is the lateral placement of the woofers. I would have preferred a 3rd identical LCR speaker, but the set came this way, and the timbre-match between the 3 speakers is so good that I feel no need to replace the CC with a 3rd LCR. Please note that all 3 tweeters are at exactly the same height, which is exactly my seated ear height, and which further enhances the timbre-match.

CC:

The stands were custom built by a good friend and forum member, @DMark1. I helped, but my woodworking skills pale to insignificance compared to Dennis'. Dennis has a side business building drum kits. He has honed his wood working skills by making some beautiful drums kits. Markley Custom Drums He's also a professional drummer and percussionist, so he has a great ear for music and has helped me significantly in fine tuning my system.

The stands have 1.5" thick plinths with columns supporting the speakers. The columns are 1 layer of 3/4", 9-ply plywood with an inner layer of 3/4" MDF. The two layers are adhered with Green Glue and the CC column is additionally lined with No-Rez. All this was done to reduce resonance in the columns. (Doing the knuckle rap test shows that the efforts were successful. The columns are very dead.) They were painted with the original Triad factory paint used on my speakers. We bought the paint directly from Triad and got the application instructions directly from the lead "paint guy" at Triad. Dennis has a spray booth in his drum shop, and he applied the paint there. The final coat is a textured "spatter" coat that required some specific painting skills. Fortunately, Dennis has them. Here is a pic of the CC stand:

As you can see, the paint is a perfect match. What's even more amazing is how good the texture match turned out.

Needless to say, I am extremely happy with how they compliment the speakers!

I also added Triad surrounds. I used the Silver Monitors because they use the same mid-woofers as the LCR's, but 6.5" instead of 5.25"), and a tweeter that is almost exactly the same as the Platinum's but without the dispersion lens. I use 4 Silver Monitors placed as Wides and Sides. The Wides are supposed to be at 60 degrees to the listening position, but as you will see in the pic below, I couldn't quite get them that wide. Due to wall constraints, they ended up at about 50 degrees. They still work quite well there. Here is a pic of the right Wide:

I have 3 Submersive HP's for subwoofer duties. They are placed somewhat randomly around the room and EQ'd with Audyssey XT32. Here is a pic of the right, front Submersive HP:

In addition to the Submersive on the right side of the CC, there is a 2nd Submersive on the left wall beneath the left Wide. The 3rd Submersive is on the left side wall behind the LP at about 4/5 of the long dimension of the room. About a year ago, I replaced the amps in the subs with the redesigned amps from Seaton Sound. They have more control and flexibility than the origianal amps. After gain-matching the 3 subs, optimizing their Delay settings, EQ'ing them with Audyssey XT32, and adjusting the target curve to my preference in Audyssey:X, I get the following frequency response and max output/compression:

That is just the subs, (no speakers, with an 80 Hz crossover.) That is 115 dB at 10 Hz with no compression.

Here is the in-room decay of the subs:

... and here is a 1/3 Octave RTA of the full bandwidth of the system:

I also added Atmos to my system in 2020. I used RSL C34e's for the speakers, 4 speakers in a Top Fronts and Top Rears configuration. These are unenclosed in-ceiling seakers with 15 degree angled baffles and an additional 15 degrees of tweeter tilt adjustment. I had custom-built backboxes made that are exactly 2'x2' squares and drop right into my ceiling gridwork. The speakers are rotated in the boxes to aim them as closely as possible at the Primary LP:

The rest of my audio equipment consists of:

Pre/Pro:
Marantz AV 8805

Power Amps:
Sanway Clone Amp, 2,400 wpc x 2, for L & R
Earthquake Cinemova Grande BR7, 650 wpc @ 4 Ohms x 7, for CC, Wides, Sides and Rears
Earthquake Cinenova Grand 5, 650 wpc @ 4 Ohms x 5 for 4 Overheads

Source Devices:
Roku 4k Ultra
Apple TV 4K
Oppo BDP UDP 205

Tactile Motion Actuators:
Crowson Technology TES 100 Shadow 8 Dual Motion Actuator System, (2 transducers)
Crowson Technology D-501 Tactile Mtion Amplifier

Here are pics of the audio equipment:

... and the Middle Atlantic Rack that holds everything:

Video System:
JVC RS2000 4K Projector with HDR and Theater Optimzer
SeymourAV CenterStage UF, 115" Diagonal, 2.35, motorized, retractable, Acoustically Transparent, (AT), screen with Side Masking
Panamorph DCR Palladin Anamorphic Lens
DataColor SpyderX meter for use with JVC AutoCal

Here is a pic of the Seymour AT screen deployed:

(This pic shows the L/R speakers outside the screen borders. I have since moved them to just inside the screen borders. This places them at 23 degrees from the LP, which is inside the recommend 22 to 30 degrees.)

Here is the screen with the 16x9 Side Mask's deployed:

(Screen shots are available here:

Acoustic Treatments:
The room is acoustically treated, with 12" thick acoustic cotton over fiberglass bass traps in the front corners, (they're behind the burgundy drapes.) The front wall is treated with 2" of acoustical cotton. The side walls past the first reflection points are treated with 6" of acoustic cotton. All the absorption is covered by the deep burgundy velvet drapes, hand-made by my wife.

The ceiling is a dropped acoustical ceiling using CaPaul Open Plan 1" thick tiles with a black nubby finish. Above the dropped ceiling, the overhead joist spaces are stuffed with fiberglass insulation, making the entire ceiling a large bass trap/broadband absorber. The floor is concrete with dark brown carpet over the thickest pad available. With all the dark surfaces, and all the acoustic absorption in the front of the room, when the lights go out and the movie starts to play, the front of the room is one big black hole for both light and sound.

There are other acoustical treatments placed around the room to reduce slap echo. Here is a pic of one of them:

The seating is a 4-chair row of Acoustic Innovations Traditional seats with power recline, heating and vibration. configured as in this pic:

Brown Couch Furniture Product Rectangle

The seats are a Burgundy leather. (The pic makes them look lighter than they actually are.) They sit on an 8" riser. This gets my eyes to 1/3 screen height, my ears to tweeter height. The seats are shifted to the left so the 2nd seat from the left is directly the sweet spot, (guess who's seat that is!) The Crowson transducers are placed with two seats straddling each transducer, allowing all 4 seats and the riser to have tactile motion with with deep bass.

Summary:
I have been an HT enthusiast for about 35 years. I built my first "HT" in 1987, (before the term "Home Theater" was even in use). That theater used a 50" Pioneer RPTV. At the time a 50" TV was unheard of, and my "HT" had a huge "WOW Factor." Soon after, I acquired a LaserDisc player... and the rest is history. :) I have been through quite few different systems in the ensuing years. However, the above system is far and away the best I've ever had in my HT. I have a few things to do yet, but I am close to the point that my "upgradeitits" is almost cured. :) (Yeah right, she said!) :D

In the meantime, I am thoroughly enjoying my system!😄

Thanks for reading.

Craig

Last edited on 8-13-2022

See less See more
#3 ·
Fantastic set-up. I am sure it looks and sounds unreal. Well done.

#4 ·

INCREDIBLE Set Up Craig!

Awesome Job!

PS. there's a few pics I cant see like the Equipment rack and Seats. Wonder if its an issue on my end.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 /forum/post/20732157

INCREDIBLE Set Up Craig!

Awesome Job!

PS. there's a few pics I cant see like the Equipment rack and Seats. Wonder if its an issue on my end.

Thanks Claude, Frolich and Roger That!

I have reattached the pic's of the equipment rack and the seats. Please let me know if you can see them. Are there any others not showing up?

Craig

PS. Claude, I'm following your thread and will be interested to hear what you think of the JTR's. Frolich and Roger, I have checked your threads as well. Awesome theaters guys!

#6 ·
I can see the Equipment Rack and the seats. They look great BTW!

The only one I cant see now is this:

Quote:
There are other acoustical treatments placed around the room to reduce slap echo. Here is a pic of one of them:

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 /forum/post/20732494

I can see the Equipment Rack and the seats. They look great BTW!

The only one I cant see now is this:

I re-attached that one too. I'm not sure why they didn't attach to begin with, but they show at the bottom of the post now, and they didn't before.

Thanks!

Craig

#8 ·
I can see that one now too. It looks great as well - I really like the design and that it matches the curtains in the front of the room.

How far back do you sit from that screen?

Something about this pic gives me goose bumps!

Not sure if its the Platinum Triads, 120inch AT screen, the SubMersiveS or just the combo of everything...Either way, I love it!

PS. The stands look Fantastic!

Reactions: wilfredent
#9 ·
Wow cj, very nice indeed. Well planned, equipped and exicuted. Looks like someone did their homework. Do you do any music listening on this system or is it strictly ht?

#10 ·
Good Morning Craig,

I'm glad to see you have started a thread about your wonderful HT room.
Everything looks great and from what I know about you that system as been tweaked to the MAX.
Can you decribe how the wide speakers enhance the overall soundstage?

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99
How far back do you sit from that screen?
About 11 ft. It's *immersive*!

Quote:
Something about this pic gives me goose bumps!

Not sure if its the Platinum Triads, 120inch AT screen, the SubMersiveS or just the combo of everything...Either way, I love it!
Thanks!

Quote:
PS. The stands look Fantastic!
I'll pass that along to DMark1. He deserves the credit for 'em.

Craig

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman
Wow cj, very nice indeed. Well planned, equipped and exicuted. Looks like someone did their homework. Do you do any music listening on this system or is it strictly ht?
Thanks! I listen to a *lot* of music on my system, both multi-channel music and 2-channel. It's a terrific music system as well as a great HT.

Craig

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek
Good Morning Craig,

I'm glad to see you have started a thread about your wonderful HT room.
Everything looks great and from what I know about you that system as been tweaked to the MAX.
Can you decribe how the wide speakers enhance the overall soundstage?
Thanks htg! Good to hear from you!

The Wides can add a level of immersiveness I've never experienced before. They can make you feel like you're in a 3D hologram of sound with a very cohesive front, side and rear surround effect. They can make you feel like you're in the *middle* of the soundfield, which is something no 2-channel system can do, and it's better than a 5.1, or even a 7.1 with rear surrounds, can do.

Note that I said "can." I said that because they don't always do that. When they do it, it's phenomenal. However, they can also cause the imaging to become "unfocused." It may be that the less focused imaging is more "real", but it's not what I'm used to.

Because of this, I don't use it at all for 2-channel listening. Also, in order to use it for 2-channel, you need to use PLIIx or DTS Neo before you can add DSX. The resultant sound is too "processed" for me. It sounds kind of fake. For MC music, it's definitely beneficial on some content... not so much on others. For movies, it generally excellent. In fact, there have been moments where it's jaw dropping.

Bottom line, I'm keeping them, but I don't use them for everything.

Do you still have those Forte's? I loved those speakers!!! My son still has them so I get to visit them occasionally.

Craig

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismyst
Nice setup! I'm jealous.

#16 ·
Very nice setup, Craig. A friend has the Triad Golds and they kick like crazy. I can't even imagine what the Platinums can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/20736187

Also, in order to use it for 2-channel, you need to use PLIIx or DTS Neo before you can add DSX. The resultant sound is too "processed" for me. It sounds kind of fake.

I found when using DSX with 2-ch sources and PLIIx Music mode, that would override my Center Width setting (usually the default #3), and force it to 0, so all the vocals come from the center speaker. This also somewhat collapses the stereo spread. This is done so tat DSX will tap the L/R channels with minimal vocals in them, so as to avoid making them too fuzzy. The 5.1 music I tried has vocals in L/C/R so that was not a happy result, either.

Quote:
For movies, it generally excellent. In fact, there have been moments where it's jaw dropping.

Any particular movies/scenes that you recall?

I found some passages in Ratatouille that created extended L/R pans, but I did not hear any soundfield difference.

Where are your surrounds positioned?

#18 ·
Craig, glad to see this on here. Those chairs look sweet. I hope I still have an invitation to check it out
. Again, one bad ass system that makes me want to try and make mine sound as good as it can. With your help, I am certainly there. Thanks for your help the other day with the amp.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin
Hi Craig a fantastic system. I love the choice of speakers and subs.I bet it sounds awesome
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the kind words. Coming from you, and knowing what a fantastic theater you have makes this high praise indeed.

Craig

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke
Craig, glad to see this on here. Those chairs look sweet. I hope I still have an invitation to check it out
. Again, one bad ass system that makes me want to try and make mine sound as good as it can. With your help, I am certainly there. Thanks for your help the other day with the amp.
Hi Mike,

Thanks. As soon as I get the new seats, I'm planning to have you and few other forum members over. I'll let you know.

Craig

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler
Very nice setup, Craig. A friend has the Triad Golds and they kick like crazy. I can't even imagine what the Platinums can do.

I found when using DSX with 2-ch sources and PLIIx Music mode, that would override my Center Width setting (usually the default #3), and force it to 0, so all the vocals come from the center speaker. This also somewhat collapses the stereo spread. This is done so tat DSX will tap the L/R channels with minimal vocals in them, so as to avoid making them too fuzzy. The 5.1 music I tried has vocals in L/C/R so that was not a happy result, either.
Thanks Roger. I have been following your posts on the Audyssey thread. Let's take the DSX discussion back there.

Quote:
Any particular movies/scenes that you recall?

I found some passages in Ratatouille that created extended L/R pans, but I did not hear any soundfield difference.
King kong jungle scenes. Avatar jungle scenes.

Quote:
Where are your surrounds positioned?
The sides are at 90 degrees and the rears at 140 degrees, just like the Dolby rec's.

Craig

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/20747125

Thanks Roger. I have been following your posts on the Audyssey thread. Let's take the DSX discussion back there.

Perfect.

Quote:
King kong jungle scenes. Avatar jungle scenes.

Key word, jungle. Got it.

Quote:
The sides are at 90 degrees and the rears at 140 degrees, just like the Dolby rec's.

Goot. Thanks.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/20748005

Key word, jungle. Got it.

I watched Sherlock Holmes last night with some guests. I gave up the primary LP and sat outside the sweet spot. The first half of the movie, I had the Wides off. I noticed that the side surrounds were out of balance, with the closer right surround being louder and more prominent than the left. When I turned on the DSX Wides, that completely changed and the surround field was more symmetrical, even sitting outside the sweet spot.

Just thought I would mention that.

Craig

#26 ·
Craig, quick question. You said your screen was an AT 120" screen. That is obscene BTW
. The Plats are to either side of the screen. Obviously the center is behind the screen. You said you were thinking about a new projector and you are getting new seats that will go on a riser. In your space, could you adjust everything so that you can accommodate a larger screen that would extend past the right and left Plat's? Not that you have to. Your screen is pretty damn big as it is. I was just wondering if it could be done that's all. Just for the total illusion feeling.