Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 356 Old 07-23-2011, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283

I have recently upgraded my speaker system with a full set of Triad speakers. The fronts are Platinum LCR's with a Platinum CC

The stands were custom built by a good friend and forum member, DMark1. I helped, but my woodworking skills pale to insignificance compared to Dennis'. Dennis has a side business building drum kits. He has honed his wood working skills by making some beautiful drums kits. http://www.markleycustomdrums.com/ He's also a professional drummer and percussionist, so he has a great ear for music and has helped me significantly in fine tuning my system.

The stands are 1.5" thick plinths with columns supporting the speakers. The columns are 1 layer of 3/4", 9-ply plywood with an inner layer of 3/4" MDF. The two layers are adhered with Green Glue and the CC column is additionally lined with No-Rez. All this was done to reduce resonance in the columns. (Doing the knuckle rap test shows that the efforts were successful. The columns are very dead.) They were painted with the original factory paint used on my speakers. We bought the paint directly from Triad and got the application instructions directly from the lead "paint guy" at Triad. Dennis has a spray booth in his drum shop, and he applied the paint there. The final coat is a textured "spatter" coat that required some specific painting skills. Fortunately, Dennis has them. Here are some pics of the stands:

As you can see, the paint is a perfect match. What's even more amazing is how good the texture match turned out. Needless to say, I am extremely happy with how they compliment the speakers!

I've also added Triad surrounds. I used the Silver Monitors because they use the same mid-woofers as the LCR's and a tweeter that is almost exactly the same as the Platinum's but without the dispersion lens. I used 4 Silver Monitors placed as Wides and Sides. The Wides are supposed to be at 60 degrees to the listening position, but as you will see in the pic below, I couldn't quite get them that wide. Due to wall constraints, they ended up at about 50 degrees. They still work quite well there. Here is a pic of the right Wide:

I have 3 Submersive HP's for subwoofer duties. They are placed somewhat randomly around the room and EQ'd with Audyssey XT32. Here is a pic of the right, front Submersive HP:

In the first pic of the theater above, there is another Submersive on the left side of the CC. That sub has since been moved to a point on the left wall beneath the left Wide. The 3rd Submersive is on the right side wall behind the LP at about 3/5 of the long dimension of the room. After gain-matching the 3 subs, EQ'ing them with Audyssey XT32, optimizing their Distance setting, and invoking the 2nd DSP program on the Submersives, I get the following combined frequency response:

and here is an RTA of the full bandwidth of the system:

The rest of my audio equipment consists of:

Oppo BDP93
Marantz AV 8801
Earthquake Cinemova Grande BR7
Emotiva RPA-1
Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR
Crowson Technology TES 100 Shadow 8 Dual Motion Actuator System
Buttkicker BKA 1000 Amplifier

Here is a pic of the equipment rack:

The video system consists of:

JVC RS-55

Darbee Darblet Video
SeymourAV 120" Diagonal 2.35, motorized, drop down Acoustically Transparent screen
Panamorph UH 480 Anamorphic Lens

JVC 3D Glasses

Here is a pic of the screen deployed:

The room is acoustically treated with 8" thick acoustic cotton and fiberglass bass traps in the front corners, (they're behind the burgundy drapes.) The front wall is treated with 2" of acoustical cotton, as are the first 4' of the side walls. The ceiling is a dropped acoustical ceiling using CaPaul Open Plan 1" thick tiles with a black nubby finish. Above the dropped ceiling, the overhead joist spaces are stuffed with fiberglass insulation, making the entire ceiling a large bass trap/broadband absorber. The floor is concrete with dark brown carpet over the thickest pad. With all the dark surfaces, and all the acoustic absorption in the front of the room, when the lights go out and the movie starts to play, the front of the room is on big black hole for light and sound.

There are other acoustical treatments placed around the room to reduce slap echo. Here is a pic of one of them:

The seating is a 4-chair row of Acoustic Innovations Traditional seats configured as in this pic:

The seats are a Burgundy leather. They sit on an 8" riser. This gets my eyes to 1/3 screen height, my ears to tweeter height, and allow the transducer system to shake the entire riser.

I have been an HT enthusiast for about 25 years. I built my first "HT" in 1987, (before the term "Home Theater" was even in use), using a 50" Pioneer RPTV. At the time a 50" TV was unheard of, and my "HT" had a huge "WOW Factor." Soon after, I acquired a LaserDisc player... and the rest is history. I have been through quite few different systems in the ensuing years. However, the above system is far and away the best I've ever had in my HT. I have a few things to do yet, but I am close to the point that my "upgradeitits" is almost cured. (Yeah right, she said!)

In the meantime, I am thoroughly enjoying my system!

Thanks for reading.

Craig

LL
LL

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 356 Old 07-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #3 of 356 Old 07-23-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Fantastic set-up. I am sure it looks and sounds unreal. Well done.
post #4 of 356 Old 07-23-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
INCREDIBLE Set Up Craig!

Awesome Job!

PS. there's a few pics I cant see like the Equipment rack and Seats. Wonder if its an issue on my end.
post #5 of 356 Old 07-23-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

INCREDIBLE Set Up Craig!

Awesome Job!

PS. there's a few pics I cant see like the Equipment rack and Seats. Wonder if its an issue on my end.

Thanks Claude, Frolich and Roger That!

I have reattached the pic's of the equipment rack and the seats. Please let me know if you can see them. Are there any others not showing up?

Craig

PS. Claude, I'm following your thread and will be interested to hear what you think of the JTR's. Frolich and Roger, I have checked your threads as well. Awesome theaters guys!

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #6 of 356 Old 07-23-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I can see the Equipment Rack and the seats. They look great BTW!

The only one I cant see now is this:

Quote:

There are other acoustical treatments placed around the room to reduce slap echo. Here is a pic of one of them:

post #7 of 356 Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I can see the Equipment Rack and the seats. They look great BTW!

The only one I cant see now is this:

I re-attached that one too. I'm not sure why they didn't attach to begin with, but they show at the bottom of the post now, and they didn't before.

Thanks!

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #8 of 356 Old 07-23-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I can see that one now too. It looks great as well - I really like the design and that it matches the curtains in the front of the room.

How far back do you sit from that screen?

Something about this pic gives me goose bumps!
Not sure if its the Platinum Triads, 120inch AT screen, the SubMersiveS or just the combo of everything...Either way, I love it!

PS. The stands look Fantastic!
wilfredent likes this.
post #9 of 356 Old 07-23-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Wow cj, very nice indeed. Well planned, equipped and exicuted. Looks like someone did their homework. Do you do any music listening on this system or is it strictly ht?

post #10 of 356 Old 07-24-2011, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Good Morning Craig,

I'm glad to see you have started a thread about your wonderful HT room. Everything looks great and from what I know about you that system as been tweaked to the MAX. Can you decribe how the wide speakers enhance the overall soundstage?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #11 of 356 Old 07-24-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
How far back do you sit from that screen?
About 11 ft. It's *immersive*!

Quote:
Something about this pic gives me goose bumps!
Not sure if its the Platinum Triads, 120inch AT screen, the SubMersiveS or just the combo of everything...Either way, I love it!
Thanks!

Quote:
PS. The stands look Fantastic!
I'll pass that along to DMark1. He deserves the credit for 'em.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #12 of 356 Old 07-24-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
Wow cj, very nice indeed. Well planned, equipped and exicuted. Looks like someone did their homework. Do you do any music listening on this system or is it strictly ht?
Thanks! I listen to a *lot* of music on my system, both multi-channel music and 2-channel. It's a terrific music system as well as a great HT.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #13 of 356 Old 07-24-2011, 05:05 PM

Liked: 10
Nice setup! I'm jealous.
post #14 of 356 Old 07-24-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
Good Morning Craig,

I'm glad to see you have started a thread about your wonderful HT room. Everything looks great and from what I know about you that system as been tweaked to the MAX. Can you decribe how the wide speakers enhance the overall soundstage?
Thanks htg! Good to hear from you!

The Wides can add a level of immersiveness I've never experienced before. They can make you feel like you're in a 3D hologram of sound with a very cohesive front, side and rear surround effect. They can make you feel like you're in the *middle* of the soundfield, which is something no 2-channel system can do, and it's better than a 5.1, or even a 7.1 with rear surrounds, can do.

Note that I said "can." I said that because they don't always do that. When they do it, it's phenomenal. However, they can also cause the imaging to become "unfocused." It may be that the less focused imaging is more "real", but it's not what I'm used to.

Because of this, I don't use it at all for 2-channel listening. Also, in order to use it for 2-channel, you need to use PLIIx or DTS Neo before you can add DSX. The resultant sound is too "processed" for me. It sounds kind of fake. For MC music, it's definitely beneficial on some content... not so much on others. For movies, it generally excellent. In fact, there have been moments where it's jaw dropping.

Bottom line, I'm keeping them, but I don't use them for everything.

Do you still have those Forte's? I loved those speakers!!! My son still has them so I get to visit them occasionally.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #15 of 356 Old 07-24-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismyst View Post
Nice setup! I'm jealous.

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #16 of 356 Old 07-24-2011, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Very nice setup, Craig. A friend has the Triad Golds and they kick like crazy. I can't even imagine what the Platinums can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Also, in order to use it for 2-channel, you need to use PLIIx or DTS Neo before you can add DSX. The resultant sound is too "processed" for me. It sounds kind of fake.

I found when using DSX with 2-ch sources and PLIIx Music mode, that would override my Center Width setting (usually the default #3), and force it to 0, so all the vocals come from the center speaker. This also somewhat collapses the stereo spread. This is done so tat DSX will tap the L/R channels with minimal vocals in them, so as to avoid making them too fuzzy. The 5.1 music I tried has vocals in L/C/R so that was not a happy result, either.

Quote:

For movies, it generally excellent. In fact, there have been moments where it's jaw dropping.

Any particular movies/scenes that you recall?

I found some passages in Ratatouille that created extended L/R pans, but I did not hear any soundfield difference.

Where are your surrounds positioned?
post #17 of 356 Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Hi Craig a fantastic system. I love the choice of speakers and subs.I bet it sounds awesome

Frank

post #18 of 356 Old 07-27-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Craig, glad to see this on here. Those chairs look sweet. I hope I still have an invitation to check it out . Again, one bad ass system that makes me want to try and make mine sound as good as it can. With your help, I am certainly there. Thanks for your help the other day with the amp.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #19 of 356 Old 07-27-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Hi Craig a fantastic system. I love the choice of speakers and subs.I bet it sounds awesome
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the kind words. Coming from you, and knowing what a fantastic theater you have makes this high praise indeed.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #20 of 356 Old 07-27-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Craig, glad to see this on here. Those chairs look sweet. I hope I still have an invitation to check it out . Again, one bad ass system that makes me want to try and make mine sound as good as it can. With your help, I am certainly there. Thanks for your help the other day with the amp.
Hi Mike,

Thanks. As soon as I get the new seats, I'm planning to have you and few other forum members over. I'll let you know.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #21 of 356 Old 07-27-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Very nice setup, Craig. A friend has the Triad Golds and they kick like crazy. I can't even imagine what the Platinums can do.
I found when using DSX with 2-ch sources and PLIIx Music mode, that would override my Center Width setting (usually the default #3), and force it to 0, so all the vocals come from the center speaker. This also somewhat collapses the stereo spread. This is done so tat DSX will tap the L/R channels with minimal vocals in them, so as to avoid making them too fuzzy. The 5.1 music I tried has vocals in L/C/R so that was not a happy result, either.
Thanks Roger. I have been following your posts on the Audyssey thread. Let's take the DSX discussion back there.

Quote:
Any particular movies/scenes that you recall?

I found some passages in Ratatouille that created extended L/R pans, but I did not hear any soundfield difference.
King kong jungle scenes. Avatar jungle scenes.

Quote:
Where are your surrounds positioned?
The sides are at 90 degrees and the rears at 140 degrees, just like the Dolby rec's.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #22 of 356 Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks. As soon as I get the new seats, I'm planning to have you and few other forum members over. I'll let you know.

Craig
Cool. Can't wait.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #23 of 356 Old 07-27-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

Thanks Roger. I have been following your posts on the Audyssey thread. Let's take the DSX discussion back there.

Perfect.

Quote:

King kong jungle scenes. Avatar jungle scenes.

Key word, jungle. Got it.

Quote:

The sides are at 90 degrees and the rears at 140 degrees, just like the Dolby rec's.

Goot. Thanks.
post #24 of 356 Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Key word, jungle. Got it.

I watched Sherlock Holmes last night with some guests. I gave up the primary LP and sat outside the sweet spot. The first half of the movie, I had the Wides off. I noticed that the side surrounds were out of balance, with the closer right surround being louder and more prominent than the left. When I turned on the DSX Wides, that completely changed and the surround field was more symmetrical, even sitting outside the sweet spot.

Just thought I would mention that.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #25 of 356 Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Sherlock Holmes, is a good one for sure. I love the overall music and soundtrack in that one. Plus it does have dynamics .

My System

post #26 of 356 Old 08-11-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Craig, quick question. You said your screen was an AT 120" screen. That is obscene BTW. The Plats are to either side of the screen. Obviously the center is behind the screen. You said you were thinking about a new projector and you are getting new seats that will go on a riser. In your space, could you adjust everything so that you can accommodate a larger screen that would extend past the right and left Plat's? Not that you have to. Your screen is pretty damn big as it is. I was just wondering if it could be done that's all. Just for the total illusion feeling.

My System

post #27 of 356 Old 08-11-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Craig, quick question. You said your screen was an AT 120" screen. That is obscene BTW. The Plats are to either side of the screen. Obviously the center is behind the screen. You said you were thinking about a new projector and you are getting new seats that will go on a riser. In your space, could you adjust everything so that you can accommodate a larger screen that would extend past the right and left Plat's? Not that you have to. Your screen is pretty damn big as it is. I was just wondering if it could be done that's all. Just for the total illusion feeling.

Hi Mike.

Yes, I could get a bigger screen and have it extend past the L/R Plat's. However, that gets to be a very big screen. At my 11' seating distance, 120" diagonal is already plenty big. My wife actually thinks the current screen is a little too big, but I think she's gotten used to it. To go bigger and get the speakers behind it, (without moving them), I would need to go to about 146" diagonal. That's a very big screen... too big for an 11" viewing distance.

Also, I wouldn't want the bottom of the screen any lower, so the added 10" of screen height would have to go at the top. That would force the viewer to look up too much and cause some neck/eye strain.

I could also move the L/R speakers in so they are behind the current screen. Actually, when I first got them, that's were I placed them. However, with the Plat's outside the screen edges, the front soundstage is noticeably wider, and I like that better. It seems just right.

I'm pretty content with my screen right now. A new projector is definitely on the horizon though.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #28 of 356 Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Got you. Yea 146" would be huge. But I think I have seen screens that big. That's just plain silly. Your screen size is awesome to me. Personally, I don't think you need any bigger. You picture is crystal clear to me. I am sure that you will pick the best new projector also.

My System

post #29 of 356 Old 08-12-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Where does the madness end. I just saw a theater in the $20,000 section that has a 170" wide screen. I don't know what that is diagonal. Plus I have seen another one that has a 176" screen. Now that IS just plain silly

My System

post #30 of 356 Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Where does the madness end. I just saw a theater in the $20,000 section that has a 170" wide screen. I don't know what that is diagonal. Plus I have seen another one that has a 176" screen. Now that IS just plain silly

Actually, in a larger theater, with a greater viewing distance, a larger screen makes sense. Here's a calculator that can help determine the optimal screen size for the viewing distance:
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html
You'll see that I'm actually sitting a little too close to my screen... but I'm OK with that.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page