Law Student Bachelor Pad - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-13-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I just moved in to a new place to start school and finally got everything up together, including my spanking new Denon AVR 2112CI that I just finished configuring for AirPlay.

Since I'm still in school, my furniture isn't high end. I compromised by using an attractive IKEA bench (TOBO - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20117674) to house my HT system. One thing I didn't like was the legs that came with the TV unit so I instead opted to buy some brushed steel legs (CAPITA http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...538#/20054563/). It made the bench lower and slicker IMO. The other thing I didn't like was the cheap/flimsy back panel.

Since I'm going to be running alot of electronics (i.e. hot), I wanted something that could ventilate easily while allowing me to mount all my unsightly wires/power strip/power bricks. I figured that a pegboard was the best of both worlds, and I bought mine at Home Depot and got them to cut it to size after doing a measurement at home of the unit beforehand. A couple of zip ties and nails later and the back panel was done.

For my speakers, which are Paradigm Titan V6 Monitors, I wanted them to be flush with the bench and not stick out like a sore thumb. Since the TV unit didn't come with any speaker stands, I decided to build some to match them. I bought the EKBY HEMNES shelf (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50178779) and cut them into 2 measured pieces that would fit my speaker fully (I had a 3rd middle piece of the board that was scraps). All I had to do was then add 4 CAPITA legs to each stand and I was done with my system.

For my TV mount I went to Monoprice and order the Super Slim Flat Panel, which for my budget, came out to an attractive $25 with shipping. Wiring hiding in an apartment is tough, especially when I really wanted to cut into the drywall. After much deliberation, I decided on simply using a wire hider like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Wiremold-C210-...3271177&sr=8-1) from Amazon. It requires screwing, but other than that, works well. I painted the cover to match the wall and mounted it directly center underneath the mount.

So what's my next project? Well, the TV unit does come with sliding doors but I'm not a fan of tealish/green glass. Down the road I'll probably either find a way to tint the glass or order online black glass pre-cut to the dimensions of the doors. For now though, I'm quite content with the currently finished product.

My equipment:

- Samsung LN46C600 46" LCD 1080p
- Denon 2112CI A/V Receiver
- Cisco E4200 Dual-Band Wireless N Router
- Xbox 360
- Sony BDP350 Blu-Ray Player
- Paradigm Titan Monitors v6
- Elemental Designs A2-300 Subwoofer

Hope you guys enjoy and if you guys have any other questions to help out with your setup, lemme know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Nice setup, and I love the creative do it yourself work.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-13-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Law student, you sure you're not supposed to be an engineering student? lol

I definitely like the look and can appreciate the clean wire management on the back. The width of everything makes the tv look a bit smallish but hey work with what you got, right?

How's the Denon receiver so far? Impressed? What do you and don't you like about it?
post #4 of 19 Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Law student, you sure you're not supposed to be an engineering student? lol

I definitely like the look and can appreciate the clean wire management on the back. The width of everything makes the tv look a bit smallish but hey work with what you got, right?

How's the Denon receiver so far? Impressed? What do you and don't you like about it?

An engineering student would know better then to have the speakers that low...unless he sits on the floor. Nice clean look but those speakers really need to be up higher.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

True I was more referring to his reworking of the cabinet and back panel. I agree the speakers need to be raised. Cleaner look or not the soundstage is being affected.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-13-2011, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Well I really do like the features and sound quality I'm getting with the receiver. I think the networking feature is great, however I do have issues with Airplay. Apple's iTunes has simply not tweaked it perfectly and I run into issues often (ex: dropped connections/reboot router/reboot AVR/etc). It's nice when it works but don't bank on it being awesome as of lately. As I used my xbox360 to stream to my HT, I would recommend using Orb to broadcast your iTunes library so that the Denon can receive it that way.

I know I was expecting criticism from the speaker layout but it's simply preference at this point. My couch is surprisingly very low and so as of now it's not a dealbreaker for me to have it that way. Completely understand those who feel otherwise.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-14-2011, 06:11 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 298
[quote="JulienLN"]

A very nice tidy setup JulienLN.

Frank
post #8 of 19 Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
very clean setup nicely done.

Few suggestions (some which were already made)

1.) Raise the front speakers up higher.

2.) The xbox is not the greatest media streamer (and as you've already seen Apple's product is buggy). Build a very inexpensive HTPC and run XBMC. Cooler interface, cleaner interface, and not so buggy. See my sig for my setup if you want an idea of what it looks like or go to xbmc.org.

3.) Not a suggestion but a compliment on how neatly you used that peg board in the back. Great idea. I like how it hides a lot of the wires.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #9 of 19 Old 08-14-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey as long as you're happy with it that's all that matters. I've heard the same issues with Airplay from a few people using itunes. Less issues seem to crop up with the Zune software or with a standard folder setup but I'm sure they'll get it together with Apple sooner or later. It's too cool a feature to leave as is.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-14-2011, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Some MoPads from Auralex will help to de-couple those speakers from the stand, and give them a good angle to raise the soundstage a bit.....definitely worth the $20 they cost for a full set for 2 speakers from any musician's store.

TV's ain't theaters buddy.

My junk collection.

post #11 of 19 Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Pretty cool.

I dig the pegboard idea (I might try something like that myself, to tame my cable mismanagement).

I really like the speaker stands. They really tie everything together - I didn't even see them at first, which I think says a lot.

I don't dig the height of the TV. It seems like you just really wanted to wall-mount it, and I think it's too high. You want it to be at eye level, and close to the level of your speakers. I think the whole setup would look cleaner if you just set the TV on the top shelf.

Also, is there a way to remove the door hinges?

I hope my (minor) criticisms aren't unwelcome. I think it's a very clean and very nice setup. Good DIY'ing!
post #12 of 19 Old 08-14-2011, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Very nice job, everything looks clean and neat. It's awesome what you did in the back with cable management, I also have the same TOBO ikea unit. I didn't install the center cabinets though and left them for my HTPC previously I had my center channel there aswell but recently I placed my center channel speaker on top in the middle of the tobo unit and placed my
PS3 where my center channel was due to the fan.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #13 of 19 Old 08-14-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=Franin;20819754]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienLN View Post

A very nice tidy setup JulienLN.

Thanks for the compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

very clean setup nicely done.

Few suggestions (some which were already made)

1.) Raise the front speakers up higher.

2.) The xbox is not the greatest media streamer (and as you've already seen Apple's product is buggy). Build a very inexpensive HTPC and run XBMC. Cooler interface, cleaner interface, and not so buggy. See my sig for my setup if you want an idea of what it looks like or go to xbmc.org.

3.) Not a suggestion but a compliment on how neatly you used that peg board in the back. Great idea. I like how it hides a lot of the wires.

Thanks for the tips and compliments. I wholeheartedly agree that the xbox isn't the greatest streamer. Even with Orb broadcasting my iTunes library, it's slow and has to be manually updated in order to see the latest music on my computer. I am planning to build soon my own cablecard DVR, so it will also double as my HTPC. The only problem in the way right now is money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theonetruegreg View Post

Some MoPads from Auralex will help to de-couple those speakers from the stand, and give them a good angle to raise the soundstage a bit.....definitely worth the $20 they cost for a full set for 2 speakers from any musician's store.

I've never heard of them (probably because I'm still somewhat of an audio noob) but I'll check those out to see if they can work out in my situation. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

Pretty cool.

I dig the pegboard idea (I might try something like that myself, to tame my cable mismanagement).

I really like the speaker stands. They really tie everything together - I didn't even see them at first, which I think says a lot.

I don't dig the height of the TV. It seems like you just really wanted to wall-mount it, and I think it's too high. You want it to be at eye level, and close to the level of your speakers. I think the whole setup would look cleaner if you just set the TV on the top shelf.

Also, is there a way to remove the door hinges?

I hope my (minor) criticisms aren't unwelcome. I think it's a very clean and very nice setup. Good DIY'ing!

Thanks for your thoughtful criticisms. The TV in the pictures does look quite high in comparison to the view but not so bad in person. The height is at maximum 5'9". The primary reason I have it abit higher than need be is that I'm planning down the road to snag a Paradigm CC-290 center channel speaker which are apparently quite big. I alloted some space so that the speaker fits nicely between the bench and TV. If it's still too high after the speaker installation, I'll probably look into moving it down (although not looking forward to it!)

In regards to the door hinges? Yeah I should remove those slider on the top, which I won't use them until I tint the sliding glass doors that come with it. Hopefully I have some free time next weekend to figure out the door issue.

Thanks again guys for posting up. I really appreciate the compliments and most especially criticisms.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Hey as long as you're happy with it that's all that matters. I've heard the same issues with Airplay from a few people using itunes. Less issues seem to crop up with the Zune software or with a standard folder setup but I'm sure they'll get it together with Apple sooner or later. It's too cool a feature to leave as is.

For sure, I'm definitely not complaining about having the AirPlay feature. To me, it was one of the features that attracted me to the AVR model. Although the 2112CI can stream from media servers using its network function, it's just too bad that the quicker (and much easier option) of using AirPlay is still nary of carefree everyday use. Here's hoping that patches come soon from both parties to remedy the situation quick.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-14-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Great start Julien. Very clean.

You NEED to raise those speakers up though. Tweeters should be as close to ear level as possible. It will sound better.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-14-2011, 09:35 PM

Very cool idea with the pegboard on the back to hold all the wiring in place and keep it looking neat. Personally I like the height of your tv. I like my displays to be up higher so I can lay back and still enjoy them.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-15-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Hi Julien, you've got a neat setup here, indeed! Congrats for that!

Meantime, please allow me to point out some aspects I would have done otherwise.

1. Sub in the left corner might not be the ideal place, there can be too much so-called "corner gain" involved with that placement that may result in boomy bass that can be hard to tackle. Note, there is a way to find the best place for the sub call subwoofer crawl

This may help you find the best place for the sub in you room. Ad absurdum, depending on the results it could even be put on the right/left side of your couch.

2. Did you run Audyssey set up yet? The Denon 2112 has the MultEQ XT version which is supposed to give you pretty good results when it comes to room EQing.

3. The mains (Left + Right) may benefit from a slight toe-in in order to face the main listening position (MLP) together with tilting them prior to running Audyssey. Please note, speakers always have their widest frequency response when they are on-axis to the MLP.

4. Care to share some photos of your back stage?

5. Please try the above tips and report back your findings.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-17-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Very clean set up and well done customizing/building everything to your needs. But I think you need a bigger tv, as it looks awfully small amongst everything else

Click here for my home theater setup
post #19 of 19 Old 11-22-2012, 11:52 AM

You made our day over here in Europe with your tip of how to get proper legs for the bench ;-). If I am not mistaken, the whole tech bench may be moved for convienent acces.
The idea with the holeboard ist also perfect. We are just accumlating our order for that.
biggrin.gif
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Samsung Ln46c600 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bdp S350 Full Hd Blu Ray Disc Dvd Player W Hdmi Lan
Gear in this thread