TheAstronaut's First 5.1 setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey all, I've been admiring all the great set ups here, so I thought I'd finally post the results of my first build. I'm fairly new to HT setups so be gentle in your criticisms, but feel free to give me some pointers.

Unfortunately, my point-and-shoot camera takes somewhat grainy pictures, I'll try to see if I know someone with a better camera so I can upload some better quality pics here.

Display: Sceptre X42 42" LCD
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V765

Center: Polk Audio RM8 (center model)
Speakers: Two Polk Audio RM7's for front, two Polk Audio RM8's for rear.
Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW110

Media Players: Popcorn Hour C-200 with slimline BluRay drive, AppleTV 2G (jailbroken) with XBMC, Dish Network ViP722k DVR

File Server: AMD Quad-core running OpenSUSE 11.4 with 6TB storage in RAID5 array. Soundproof case by Fractal Designs.

Networking: Gigabit Ethernet, D-Link DGL-4500 wireless router, D-Link 8-port Gigabit switch.

Here is what the whole setup looks like.

Side close-up.

Rear-view, it's actually neater than it looks.

File server with Fractal Designs Define R3 case. Also, one of the best PC cases I've ever owned.

Inside of file server, taken during build process.

Close-up of the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 02:57 AM

Liked: 11
Sounds good... Looking forward to the pics!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Pics are now up! Don't have pics of the rears up yet, will get those later today or tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Liked: 10
HA I have the same speaker/sub setup. First time I've seen anyone else with that.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUENGR View Post

HA I have the same speaker/sub setup. First time I've seen anyone else with that.

I picked them up as a bundle a little over a year ago, Newegg had them for quite a good price (around $350 if I remember right).
Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 PM

Liked: 10
Yup, got mine from Newegg as well. RM510 if I remember right
Old 10-20-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

They're great sounding speakers, though I think the RM7's might be a little on the weak side for front speakers. Once I have some money I might upgrade the fronts to something larger. My living room seating is about 16.5" from the speakers.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Upgraded to Polk Audio CS1 Series II center speaker around Christmas time as I was having trouble hearing center-channel speech in movies through the RM7. Center channel sound is much more pronounced now, definitely glad I upgraded.

Also, picked up a BenQ W710ST projector that I am working on a ~92" BOC screen for. I would like to be able to hang my screen from the ceiling, does anybody have any suggestions for the best way to go about this?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Congrats on the center upgrade. You may want to do the same on your two mains as well given the size of your room.

Pictures showing the whole front area will help people provide advice on hanging a screen.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I'm posting from work so I'll try to get some pictures up soon.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a wider-angle view of the room. You can see at the top where I currently have my homemade roll-up screen mounted. The BOC was cut to 54x85" but I lost a couple on the top and bottom when I mounted it to the PVC pipe using double-sided carpet tape.

There was too much sag in the screen using PVC alone, so I added a 1/2" galvanized pipe through the center of the top PVC which seems to be working well. The only problem I've been having so far with the way the screen is made is the carpet tape does not want to hold the BOC.

I'm not against building a wooden frame to stretch the fabric across, but I would still like to hang it from the ceiling. Anybody out there have any good suggestions for how to go about this?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Congrats on the center upgrade. You may want to do the same on your two mains as well given the size of your room.

Pictures showing the whole front area will help people provide advice on hanging a screen.

What brand/model of mains would you recommend I upgrade to? I'm looking for something affordable, but with decent sound. Floor-standing models would be nice, but nothing too tall as it would be blocked by the screen.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAstronaut View Post

What brand/model of mains would you recommend I upgrade to? I'm looking for something affordable, but with decent sound. Floor-standing models would be nice, but nothing too tall as it would be blocked by the screen.

A couple thoughts/questions:

How close does your screen come to the floor?
Since the center speaker is the most important in surround sound, I would not go too much bigger than the center (unless you listen to a lot of 2 channel music) I was just thinking maybe upgrading slightly to maybe the Polk VM10 - there is a great deal on them at Amazon right now. The tweeter (1") is 2x the size of the RM7 (1/2") and there are two 3" mids versus the one 1 1/2" mid in the RM7
Old 02-28-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

A couple thoughts/questions:

How close does your screen come to the floor?
Since the center speaker is the most important in surround sound, I would not go too much bigger than the center (unless you listen to a lot of 2 channel music) I was just thinking maybe upgrading slightly to maybe the Polk VM10 - there is a great deal on them at Amazon right now. The tweeter (1") is 2x the size of the RM7 (1/2") and there are two 3" mids versus the one 1 1/2" mid in the RM7

The screen comes down to about 4" above the center speaker. I do like the look of the VM-10's but they are a little out of my budget for the time being (though the stands they come with do look nice). I was looking at the Polk CS1 Series II Bookshelf speakers, as they are from the same series as the center. Do you know if they would be a good fit, or should I save for the VM-10's?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not seeing a Polk CS1 Series II Bookshelf speaker out there? I only see the center speaker CS1. If you can get a speaker that matches your center with the same tweeter and same or larger mids - I would think that you would be better off. I'm not a fan of over extending on budget - stay where you are comfortable.

I had recommended the VM10s because of the significant deal on Amazon - I'm a value guy
Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, sorry I was actually talking about the Monitor30 Series II bookshelf speakers. The have a similar look to the center so I got the names confused in my head.