Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 320 Old 12-07-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Dun dun dun

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 320 Old 12-16-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
92 inch bedsheet temp setup. 16.5-17 feet away. Sorry for pic quality, took them real quick with iPhone 5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #303 of 320 Old 12-16-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Ive been absent for a while Nez, sorry.

A couple opinions based on personal experience:

- Black out that window, Permanently. I actually used aluminum foil and HVAC tape(ghetto). Any light introduced in a projection setup is contamination IMO even in a dark room.

- An acoustically transparent screen with the dialogue coming from the center was the most drastic change i ever made. The db or two loss in the last upper octave is easily corrected with EQ and not audibe besides in my experience. AT material may run a bit more but IMO for the ultimate experience its the way to go.

- Also dont constrain yourself to commercially available AT screen materials especially if budget is a concern. Ive seen impressive testing results here on the forum from "DIY" materials like spandex which perform equally as well acoustically and very close visually to materials like Seymour XD etc.

- It wont matter much which direction you face the subs they radiate mostly omni. I actually prefer to face subs away from the listening position or fire them at acoustic absorption to absorb out of band harmonics and junk which is localizable if fired at the listener.

FWIW i used seymour xd material on a DIY frame and have been totally satisfied.
nezff likes this.
post #304 of 320 Old 12-16-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Ive been absent for a while Nez, sorry.

A couple opinions based on personal experience:

- Black out that window, Permanently. I actually used aluminum foil and HVAC tape(ghetto). Any light introduced in a projection setup is contamination IMO even in a dark room.

- An acoustically transparent screen with the dialogue coming from the center was the most drastic change i ever made. The db or two loss in the last upper octave is easily corrected with EQ and not audibe besides in my experience. AT material may run a bit more but IMO for the ultimate experience its the way to go.

- Also dont constrain yourself to commercially available AT screen materials especially if budget is a concern. Ive seen impressive testing results here on the forum from "DIY" materials like spandex which perform equally as well acoustically and very close visually to materials like Seymour XD etc.

- It wont matter much which direction you face the subs they radiate mostly omni. I actually prefer to face subs away from the listening position or fire them at acoustic absorption to absorb out of band harmonics and junk which is localizable if fired at the listener.

FWIW i used seymour xd material on a DIY frame and have been totally satisfied.

If I build a false wall, I plan on blacking out the window for sure.
An AT screen from Jamestown is on my list of wants. Can get more for the money, plus place my center behind it.
The subs facing into the corners about 6-12 inches are mainly just to get them out of the way. They only take up 22 inches compared to 34-36 facing towards the listener. Also on the flipside of that, is that they put out a lot of bass facing into the corners after some testing I did a year or so back.

My current thinking is:

build a false wall.
turn the subs into the corners giving me more room
move the front speakers out in front of the false wall closer to the side walls.
keep the tv stand removing doors etc.. and using black fabric frames that will also cover the rest of the false wall.
all my equipment can stay there and the remotes still work through the fabric
place the center on top of the tv stand bringing it UP and out of the stand giving me more dynamics. The screen will come down almost touching the tv stand and the center will hide behind the screen.

the fronts will be out next to the wall like in this pic

Subs facing in like in this picture
DSC00795.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #305 of 320 Old 12-17-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

been working on other things around the house:

boring office space:

bottom cabinets

top cabinets

bottom cabinets dry fitted

painting

Crown and false panels to hide wires is all that's left.

top installed

bottoms installed

post #306 of 320 Old 12-17-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The issue with turning the subs and getting a screen bigger than 92 will be that I wont ever be able to turn them back the way they are now because the screen would cover the speakers. I have about 84 inches in between speakers for a screen. I plan on building a false wall and turning the subs like in this pic.

By turning the subs I can move the front speakers out more giving me room for a screen larger than 92 inches. More like 100-106 or so. I plan on trying to keep my components in the tv stand behind the false wall covered in fabric. I would move my center channel up on top of the tv stand either behind the screen or covered by a fabric panel. Im assuming it wont be covered up by the screen unless I hung it very low. I test fitted a 110 screen today and it didn't even hang down to the tv stand.

I would rather keep the center below the screen because the frame of the screen might block it. Unless I raise the center up enough to fire through the AT screen. The tv stand would hold all my componets (bluray, Marantz, xpa5, xbox one, ps4).

Still trying to understand how to build a false wall and fabric panels. Ive seen so many screen walls but not many like my room. Im thinking Im going to have to strip out the whole side walls, and ceiling with 1x4s for panels to attach to?

post #307 of 320 Old 12-25-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Merry Christmas brother

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #308 of 320 Old 02-04-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I am absolutely thrilled I stumbled across this thread via your signature link!

AWESOME setup bro!

I just hit sub and looking forward to your PJ and screen!

You every think about doing a retractable screen and leaving speakers behind it?

great use of your space and the office with custom cabinets and counter top is very sweet.

keep up the good work!
post #309 of 320 Old 02-04-2014, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435 View Post

I am absolutely thrilled I stumbled across this thread via your signature link!

AWESOME setup bro!

I just hit sub and looking forward to your PJ and screen!

You every think about doing a retractable screen and leaving speakers behind it?

great use of your space and the office with custom cabinets and counter top is very sweet.

keep up the good work!

Thanks.

I have some house projects that need finishing before I tackle the pj and screen. I did purchase a used Seymour Xd 125 inch screen which I can cut down to fit my space.

post #310 of 320 Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've never commented on your thread before but I always find myself revisiting to be in awe of your setup.

post #311 of 320 Old 02-10-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thank you sir

post #312 of 320 Old 02-11-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello Nezff. I like your thread and set up because it will be similar to mine in regards to room size and configuration. I hope to start building my house next month (dedicated HT room over garage). My room will be 27x18 with 9ft ceiling in the middle (sloped ceilings just like yours). I hope the knee wall will start about 4 or 5 ft (wish it were higher, but). I am researching quite a bit of topics on the forum, including room treatments. I saved the website where you purchased. I read where your room echoed quite a bit. I assume the treatments (including bass traps) helped out the sound overall? I have never experienced "before and after" with room treatments. I realize every room is different (material, size, a/v gear etc.). Thanks.
post #313 of 320 Old 02-12-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt61443 View Post

Hello Nezff. I like your thread and set up because it will be similar to mine in regards to room size and configuration. I hope to start building my house next month (dedicated HT room over garage). My room will be 27x18 with 9ft ceiling in the middle (sloped ceilings just like yours). I hope the knee wall will start about 4 or 5 ft (wish it were higher, but). I am researching quite a bit of topics on the forum, including room treatments. I saved the website where you purchased. I read where your room echoed quite a bit. I assume the treatments (including bass traps) helped out the sound overall? I have never experienced "before and after" with room treatments. I realize every room is different (material, size, a/v gear etc.). Thanks.

Hey bud, thanks.

I basically started thinking about the panels because of the echo in the room. When I got them, I planned on putting them up a certain way, but then decided to put them up in a aesthetically appealing way. smile.gif They still did their job. I ordered bass traps for the front and rear corners because I was told that you can never have enough bass traps in a residential setting.

post #314 of 320 Old 03-19-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

Hey bud, thanks.

I basically started thinking about the panels because of the echo in the room. When I got them, I planned on putting them up a certain way, but then decided to put them up in a aesthetically appealing way. smile.gif They still did their job. I ordered bass traps for the front and rear corners because I was told that you can never have enough bass traps in a residential setting.

I'm glad bigmouthinDC linked this thread fir me. My room will be very similar only 16' x 11'. Did you get the projector and screen up yet?
post #315 of 320 Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepower View Post

I'm glad bigmouthinDC linked this thread fir me. My room will be very similar only 16' x 11'. Did you get the projector and screen up yet?

Not yet. I purchased a Seymour AT screen from a member. It is 125 inches which would probably not fit. I am going to make a frame, then wrap and cut the excess off.

post #316 of 320 Old 04-27-2014, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
any new update?
post #317 of 320 Old 04-28-2014, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post

any new update?
Sorry guys. Between detailing vehicles and firefighting, it's been put on the back burner.

I actually thought it would be too much work and hassle at one point to try and fish all the cabling in the ceiling, cut a hole on the wall for the equipment, run new cabling, and build a false wall. I was going to sell the pj and screen but might hold off.

post #318 of 320 Old 06-19-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Panasonic 8000 brand new in the box is now up for sale in the classifieds. Pm me for details and info.

post #319 of 320 Old 06-19-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 146
No more projector????
post #320 of 320 Old 06-19-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
No more projector????
Don't have the time right now.

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Mitsubishi Wd 73738 73 Inch 3d Dlp Hdtv , Marantz Av8801 , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Ed C 12 , Elemental Designs A7s 450 , Sony Bdp S580 Blu Ray Disc Player Black
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page