Finally My Ideal HTS Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 11-14-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well NOW finally after a raise from a new job, and cost of living going down due to moving to a different state, I finally got my ideal home theater system. I did get the great deal of 0% interest on Best Buy Rewards Zone credit card and got my system through the standalone Magnolia Audio Video store in Santa Monica, CA but had it shipped to out of state thus avoided paying the sales tax!

So going from my below poverty line system of a (I kid you not):

13" JVC color tv (yes that is a thirteen and not a typo!)
DIRECTV TiVO HR10 upgraded with Weakness dual hard drives 260GB satellite DVR receiver

to this setup below is my dream. The UPS Freight truck came this after now and here's what was on the pallette (minus the Martin Logan center speaker which is on backorder)

Flat Panel TV - Plasma Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT30 (55" Plasma 3D HD)
Blu-ray 3D/HD DVD Player Oppo BDP-93
Audio/Video Receiver Marantz SR7005 (comes with 3yr warranty)
Speaker System Martin Logan Speaker System (Electro-Motion Series - ESL speakers [left, right], Electro-Motion Series C2 speaker [center], Dynamo 700 Sub-woofer with wireless option). Speakers do come with a 5yr warranty except sub-woofer.
A/V Furniture Stand Avion Series II - 8927 (ESPRESSO)
A/V TV Mount Arena Mount 9970 (BLACK)
Extended Warranty For Television (4 Years)
Extended Warranty Sub-woofer (4 Years)
Extended Warranty Blu-ray Disc Player (4 Years)

Thanks to Vinh at Magnolia Audio Video for getting this deal for me. Can't wait to set this up over the weekend and get on all the threads for each of my items to learn more about them.

EDIT: Just upgraded my sub-woofer. SOLD the Martin Logan Dynamo 700 Sub (10"). Nothing wrong with it...but for $550 the Outlaw LFM-1 EX (12") is the best BANG for the buck!
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-14-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'll take a picture when it's all setup and out of the boxes.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
You've got some great looking, uh, boxed up gear there. I hope your neighbors love you. Can't wait to see it set up.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #4 of 23 Old 11-14-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

You've got some great looking, uh, boxed up gear there. I hope your neighbors love you. Can't wait to see it set up.

Yeah I'll be easy on the neighbors for sure. Once they're all out of the boxes, I'll post the pics.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-03-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Okay finally got around to taking pictures. Here's main setup (overall pic). Just finally got the center speaker delivered by X-mas.
LL
LL
post #6 of 23 Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

And here's the inside of the cabinet. Top left is the Marantz receiver, bottom left is the Oppo Blu-ray player. Top Center is the EM C2 center speaker, Bottom center is the DIRECTV TiVO DVR HR10 (SD old one with dual 160GB hard drives).
LL
LL
LL
post #7 of 23 Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Top right is my new DIRECTV HD DVR HR24, bottom right is my old Super-VHS JVC VCR. On top of the Avion cabinet to the left is Apple TV surrounded by the wireless network connectors for the Panasonic Viera VT30 3D-HD TV on the left, and to the right is wireless network adapter for the Oppo Blu-ray disc player. And off to the right is the AM antenna from the Marantz receiver.
LL
LL
post #8 of 23 Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramill View Post

Yeah I'll be easy on the neighbors for sure. Once they're all out of the boxes, I'll post the pics.

I just found out that the apt below me is empty and un-rented
post #9 of 23 Old 01-03-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
You mustve copied and pasted the equipment info or you felt proud of the warranties lol. I rarely see people use the esl's for ht usage. How are they? I've only heard stereo stuff from them at best buy and was impressed. Out of my range though lol

Edit: that is a lot of boxes ! Surprised it all came at once!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #10 of 23 Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 PM

Liked: 10
You should consider taking your center out of the cabinet and placing it on top. You will see a large sound improvement and it will cover up some of the TV mount.
post #11 of 23 Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

You mustve copied and pasted the equipment info or you felt proud of the warranties lol. I rarely see people use the esl's for ht usage. How are they? I've only heard stereo stuff from them at best buy and was impressed. Out of my range though lol

Yeah I did copy paste the warranty info I had but also left it in there for people to get an idea of the length of warranty in case they're curious about buying the same equipment I got.

Not being an audiophile but I'm curious how a speaker can be better for music and not for HT (home theater)? Sound is sound right? Anyway I love the way they look and the technology behind HOW ESL (Electro-Static Loudspeakers) work. Watch Martin Logan's YouTube channel for their videos. The ESLs sound great and once I did put in the center speaker, it took the load of the dialogue from the left/right speakers and now the ESLs work less and come in when needed for any sound going left to right and vice/versa.

But I agree that I heard them first time in someone else's apt and it was a music demo and the sound was just amazing. Overall I am very pleased with Martin Logan's products.

Quote:

Edit: that is a lot of boxes ! Surprised it all came at once!

Yes, lots of boxes, and it all came at once because I bought from Magnolia Audio/Video in California (Santa Monica) but I had just moved to another state (Arizona) so had it all delivered in one shot. Thus saved on taxes Basically UPS Freight came in and just dropped a big pallette of boxes at my door. Thankfully I lived only on the 2nd floor and carried each one up box by box. My X-Mas gift to myself.

The center speaker was the only thing that wasn't available as it JUST came out from Martin Logan at the time of my order (early Nov), so I figured I could live without it for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxphenomx View Post

You should consider taking your center out of the cabinet and placing it on top. You will see a large sound improvement and it will cover up some of the TV mount.

Really? Hmmm....I like the idea of having it in the cabinet to have a more clean look (another reason why I like the ESLs because of the clear grill-mesh). I guess I can try it out and see how the sound is.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-04-2012, 10:49 AM

I would place the center on top of the stand and then lower the tv to sit on top of the center channel. Ideally the center needs to be as close to the screen as possible. Plus I think the floating tv looks better. Give it a shot
post #13 of 23 Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would place the center on top of the stand and then lower the tv to sit on top of the center channel. Ideally the center needs to be as close to the screen as possible. Plus I think the floating tv looks better. Give it a shot

Ah lowering the TV is a PAIN in the ***. I would need to 2 people. Not impossible but I did lower it one spot down. I actually like it slightly higher but I understand your point. I'll move out to the top of the cabinet over the weekend.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 PM

Wow, what a system. I really like the Martin Logan (ESL) speakers. As Pokekevin said these are (mostly) for music. But why not. A good sounding speaker system speaks for itself, doesn't it? Please post some comments after you use the system for a while. I would really appreciate your feeling about watching movies as well as listening to music.

I just don't know Best Buy sells Oppo too.

Keep the good system, jaramill! I am jealous.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuqing View Post

Wow, what a system. I really like the Martin Logan (ESL) speakers. As Pokekevin said these are (mostly) for music. But why not. A good sounding speaker system speaks for itself, doesn't it? Please post some comments after you use the system for a while. I would really appreciate your feeling about watching movies as well as listening to music.

I saw that best buy was selling oppos too. The rep told me they dont have em stuck and its ordered when you buy one.

As for the speakers being better for music, I think its a personal preference thing. I'll let the speaker gurus chime in on this one before I butcher the explanation lol

Either way though, IMHO a good a speaker is a good speaker. Enjoy those new bad boys!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #16 of 23 Old 01-04-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramill View Post

Ah lowering the TV is a PAIN in the ***. I would need to 2 people. Not impossible but I did lower it one spot down. I actually like it slightly higher but I understand your point. I'll move out to the top of the cabinet over the weekend.

I'm not meaning to put you through a lot of trouble. Personally I like the sound of the center when it has room to breathe, especially when it's rear ported. If you are happy with the way you have it you should leave it. I'm redoing my home theater and am looking at your stand among others. How do you like it?
post #17 of 23 Old 01-04-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm not meaning to put you through a lot of trouble. Personally I like the sound of the center when it has room to breathe, especially when it's rear ported. If you are happy with the way you have it you should leave it.

No worries. Appreciate the suggestions. Moving the center speaker out to the top is easy to test. Though if it's out, I can put on the grill. In the cabinet, it can't fit with the grill ONLY because of the speaker wire with the banana plugs sticking out from the back, which puts it right at the end of the enclosure. Then the wire is almost pinned and bent. But with the removal of the grill it gives me just enough room (I think an extra inch). And besides it's enclosed so no one can see it anyway so it's easier that way.

As for the raising of the TV up and down that is a major haul. But again appreciate the suggestion.

Quote:

I'm redoing my home theater and am looking at your stand among others. How do you like it?

As for the stand, it's specific to certain pieces of furniture and made for TV sizes up to 60". According to the manual, depending upon the size of the TV, they tell you to set at a certain height.

So for 50-60" they recommend middle to the top. Less than 50" then middle to lower. I had it at the very top, and when looked at it, I realize it was a tad too high, so I dropped it down one notch and it's a "perfect height for me". Meaning that when I'm sitting on the couch I'm looking at the TV with my eyes slightly looking up. Like as if I were in a movie theater

Now if someone were to walk into my living room, they would be looking at the TV at eye level as opposed to looking down at the TV if it were placed on top of the cabinet without using a mount and just the tv stand it came with. So I thought about that as well. Say if I have a party and have it on, people can see it at eye level.
post #18 of 23 Old 01-04-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I saw that best buy was selling oppos too. The rep told me they dont have em stuck and its ordered when you buy one.

Quote:

As for the speakers being better for music, I think its a personal preference thing. I'll let the speaker gurus chime in on this one before I butcher the explanation lol

Either way though, IMHO a good a speaker is a good speaker. Enjoy those new bad boys!

And pokekevin is correct. Oppo has finally let a few retailers sell them. One is Best Buy or Magnolia Audio/Video or Magnolia Home Theater (which are inside the Best Buy stores). Once I heard that, then it was easy to get everything in one place with one credit card (got their 0% interest for 3yrs deal).
post #19 of 23 Old 01-04-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuqing View Post

Thanks zhuqing for the comments. Yeah I do recall hearing and reading that the Martin Logan's are great for music but like everyone says...speakers are speakers right? Anyway, I had sold a few years ago all my VHS tapes of movies and didn't buy DVDs because I didn't have one. Then this new format called Blu-ray came out and now I'll get those versions instead. First movies I'll watch are The Empire Strikes Back, Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Aliens, Raiders of The Lost Ark and Predator to give the speakers are REAL good test!

So far I'm breaking them in sound wise and the only true test has been watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars on the Cartoon Network. And on my PC with 13yr old Altec Lansing 2.1 system sounds nice.

But on my 3.1 HTS.........WOW! I mean at a low volume my apt rumbles! Will give feedback after I play some movies in the next few weeks.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 AM

I have the 58VT25 (2010) and some new ML ElectroMotions, they ROCK. Now you have to resist the urge to get a dedicated amp to power those Logans. Good luck, I was not able to resist but I regret nothing!
post #21 of 23 Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

When I first got my new speakers I would play the top gun intro all the time to motivate me for work lol. Great intro

post #22 of 23 Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafunkiestmonkey View Post

I have the 58VT25 (2010) and some new ML ElectroMotions, they ROCK. Now you have to resist the urge to get a dedicated amp to power those Logans. Good luck, I was not able to resist but I regret nothing!

I actually thought about getting a pre-amp but as I read in another thread, I will never need the volume that loud where I need to power all 7.1 speakers. In fact I only have 3.1, soon to be 5.1 or 5.2 and for me the Marantz SR7005 does just fine. Besides I'm in apt though no neighbors below me but that won't last for long, so I have to take things into consideration.

So upgrade-itis will be cured once I got a 5.2 then I'm all set and cured

Quote:

When I first got my new speakers I would play the top gun intro all the time to motivate me for work lol. Great intro

Yeah I can't wait to play that movie on the speakers and see how they sound!
post #23 of 23 Old 02-01-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Update to system are advice from Forums and my new knowledge on subs: Sold the Martin Logan Dynamo 700 (10") Sub and upgraded to the Outlaw LFM-1 EX (12") Sub.

This big bad boy BOOMS, SHAKES, RATTLES and ROLLS!
LL
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page