Here's my modest system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Lately I've been away from the HT hobby and enjoying other hobbies even more. Anyhow, I just updated my TV to a 3D LED LCD and added a new 3D Bluray player, so I'm getting back to it slowly.

Here's a run down of my system with the new additions.

LG 47LW5600 LED TV: A very very nice 47" 3D LED LCD TV with local dimming. 2 component inputs, 2 A/V inputs, 2 USB inputs, 1 VGA input w/audio input, and 4 HDMI (1 w/ARC). It also has an included Wifi dongle. Very nice 3D Smart TV with great PQ. I can't stand Active 3D but love the passive 3D (No jerkiness and no flickering).

New Denon AVR-2312CI: This receiver is replacing my Denon AVR-3803. It's a downgrade in stereo audio performance but looks to be an upgrade in video processing, HD Video processing and switching, HD and DPL IIz surround formats, Networking Audio and room audio correction. It was hard downgrading audio but the AVR-2312CI is only 1 step below the AVR-3803's replacement, the AVR-3312CI. I'm hoping the audio quality is not much worse, if not better, considering the room sound correction. The main reasons for the replacement is that the wife has a hard time switching sources when it's required on the AVR-3803 for sound and the LG 47LW5600 TV for video. The AVR-2312CI combines everything so it cuts the confusion of switching and cuts down on a LOT OF CABLING! With kids and cats around, the fewer the cables, the better! The AVR-2312CI is also one of the few new receivers that still has enough analog inputs for my audio equipment and composite video inputs and recording loop output for recording my TV shows on my DVD-Recorder.

ART DJ PRE II Phono Preamp: The Denon AVR-2312ci doesn't have a Phono Preamp Input so I needed this. The gain looks awesome at 45db and specs state a flat frequency response within +/- .5db where so many are 1 or more db. The noise ratio is also speced really good at 90 db. While these are just specs, many reviews say this is a really great phono preamp. I originally was going to get a Technolink Phono Preamp but the limited sales through just one USA vendor seemed odd. I feel more comfortable with a known brand leader with a lot of good customer reviews behind it. Just waiting for it now.

Sony PS-LX350H MM Turntable: Just excellent sound quality from an affordable MM fed turntable.

Comcast HD DVR: Pretty nice Motorola HD DVR. Most HD programming is 1080i with some at 720p. Most standard 480i channels have a HD channel as well.

LG BD670 Blu-Ray Player: This player has 3D capability, built in Wifi, Smart capability with DNLA, services and Apps, PLUS does CD Recording to a USB Flash-drive in MP3 or Wave formats.

Magnavox ZV427MG9 VHS/DVD Recorder: A very high performing DVD recorder built by Funai. Surprisingly it's A/D video conversion has none of the digital artifacts I've seen with Panasonic DVD recorders and it's Equalled my Pioneer DVR-531HS DVD recorders ( I have 2 but one quit writing to DVD-Rs) in picture quality.

HK CDR 20 CD Recorder: A very nice CD recorder with nice A/D conversion along with nice D/A conversion.

JVC TD-W318 Dual Cassette Recorder: At the time, one of the best cassette decks I could find for any price. It still does playback duty on some older cassettes I don't have on CD.

Speakers: Infinity Reference 2000.4 (main speakers), Infinity Reference CC2 (center channel speaker), Infinity Reference RS1 (surround speakers), Infinity Entra Point 5 (surround back speakers), Velodyne CT-100 (Subwoofer)

It's just a standard living room system doing multi-duty. That is acting as the normal family TV, acting as the family home theater, and acting as the family stereo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Looks great. Next thing I would upgrade if I were you is the receiver, you want to be able to take advantage of the HD/Master Audio tracks on the blu ray discs which you need a receiver that takes HDMI in for that to happen. Other than that looks good. I am in the same situation as you with a living room home theater.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

Looks great. Next thing I would upgrade if I were you is the receiver, you want to be able to take advantage of the HD/Master Audio tracks on the blu ray discs which you need a receiver that takes HDMI in for that to happen. Other than that looks good. I am in the same situation as you with a living room home theater.

Actually I can take advantage of them. My Panasonic Bluray player outputs the audio through 7.1 analog outputs to the Denon's 7.1 audio inputs.

I have looked into going with another receiver, but none match the performance of the AVR-3803 unless they are over $2000. I just don't have any disposable income to justify that yet. It's funny, with all the computer added circuitry to the new receivers, they've taken away the audio sections and video switching sections to compliment that circuitry. It's nice, but I'd rather keep it in the players so I can upgrade the players and not the receiver all the time. Also HDMI switching changes all the time and it would likely be obsolete in a few years where a 7.1 channel audio input keeps you up to track. After looking for over a month for a suitable replacement, I decided just to keep the Denon AVR-3803. I'd be only happy with the Denon AVR-4311CI or the Denon AVR-4810CI. I just don't have the funds for those right now when the 3803 is doing just fine.

Thanks for the compliment also.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

Actually I can take advantage of them. My Panasonic Bluray player outputs the audio through 7.1 analog outputs to the Denon's 7.1 audio inputs.

I have looked into going with another receiver, but none match the performance of the AVR-3803 unless they are over $2000. I just don't have any disposable income to justify that yet. It's funny, with all the computer added circuitry to the new receivers, they've taken away the audio sections and video switching sections to compliment that circuitry. It's nice, but I'd rather keep it in the players so I can upgrade the players and not the receiver all the time. Also HDMI switching changes all the time and it would likely be obsolete in a few years where a 7.1 channel audio input keeps you up to track. After looking for over a month for a suitable replacement, I decided just to keep the Denon AVR-3803. I'd be only happy with the Denon AVR-4311CI or the Denon AVR-4810CI. I just don't have the funds for those right now when the 3803 is doing just fine.

Thanks for the compliment also.

Ah that works too sorry. I didn't look up the exact model numbers you had. But yeah if you are happy with the system you have there is no reason to upgrade now.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well I retired my Denon Universal DVD Player. I only had 3 DVD-Audio discs and one SACD disc. I honestly thought these formats would grow and they are actually going the way of mini-disc, DTS 96/24, and HDCD. Since I don't want to grow a collection that for the most part is obsolete and requires only the most expensive equipment to retain it's compatibility, I decided to cut some clutter that I rarely use anymore.

I also retired my Panasonic Blu-Ray player. It's 2 good features were built in Wifi and it's 7.1 output. Since almost all Blu-Ray discs are 5.1, I rarely used this as well. The player does not use any matrix scheme (DPL IIx) for the rear surround channels, to make 2 separate rear 'back' channels, as do the lastest surround receivers. Since I want a full 7.1 setup and get close to that with 6.1 (same channel for rear back speakers) with DD-EX and DTS-ES Matrix, I enjoy that more than the 5.1 higher resolution formats. If it were studio music, it would be a different situation but movie sound tracks and live music sound best to me when they completely surround me with 7 speakers.

On top of that, the Panasonic wasn't a very good player IMO. When up-converting 4:3 DVDs, it changed the aspect ratio to be actually narrower. Also the VOD services were few and very slow loading. Also the player was super, super slow. The new LG player loads up with the speed of a DVD player. The Panasonic was a bear to use because it was just so slow.

I bought the new LG BD670 player and so far I'm really impressed. It's load speeds for Bluray with and without BD Live are impressive to say the least. The VOD is easy to use as well and has a lot to offer as do their new LED LCD Smart Tvs. It also has 3D capability and CD recording to a USB Flash-Drive. So far I'm very, very impressed with this blu-ray player.

Since I retired my Denon DVD Player, I moved the Magnavox DVD Recorder into it's place, and out of the TV cabinet. The spot where it was in the TV cabinet now is a higher shelf for pictures, that the center speaker was previously blocking.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

Ok, I finally did. I woudn't call it an upgrade but an update.

Lost a lot of analog connections, Lost S-Video Output, Lost Digital Optical Output, Lost 1 A/V recording loop and lost 1 audio recording loop, lost phono preamp, lost some processing performance features, lost composite/S-Video conversion to component video, lost On-Screen setup/info guide output on composite and component video outputs, and lost some current capability.

Gained networking for audio and pictures, gained new HD Audio formats, Gained DPL IIx/z processing for analog 2 channel sources and Digital 5.1 channel sources, gained room correction (which has turned out to degrade the sound more than help it ), gained HDMI switching, gained HDMI upconversion, gained one wire to TV simplicity for wife.

It was a wash and perhaps I lost more than I gained, but I really wanted true 7 separate channel surround sound which EX and ES couldn't give me and Denon's Widescreen 7.1 sounds aweful on Digital 5.1 sources. I also gained the most important feature, simple switching for the wife's use. I was also able to get rid of a lot of wires as well.

Since I'm more into music, I have a lot of analog music sources. Since HT receivers are gearing more toward lossy MP3 streaming formats and mainly just A/V formats, analog connections are being deleted in favor of lesser formats. So I had to act quickly to get a year end receiver that still had plenty of analog inputs for my music equipment. HK, Pioneer Elite, NAD, and even new 2012 Onkyo models, did not have enough analog inputs and did not offer analog outputs for recording. So the new models skimped on important connections so I had to jump fast on these 2011 models while they lasted. Luckily I got a great deal on a AVR-2312ci. It was almost half what I paid for my deeply discounted AVR-3803.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 AM

Liked: 10
looks good well done on the come back!!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryceo View Post

looks good well done on the come back!!

Thank you, I believe all I now need is a nice Technolink Phono Preamp and it will be finally complete and up to date.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 AM

Liked: 13
Hi, great system.

How is that LG 47" LED TV working for you?, i'm thinking on getting myself one-
Old 06-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Liked: 10