Anamorphic's Apartment HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-25-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I guess it's about time I start a little thread here about my system as it's gone through some major changes in the past few weeks. I just took these pics today after repositioning the X-Statik's (mains) to the inside and moving the Wii to the bedroom system.

Here's the list:

Onkyo TX-NR809
iPad w/ oRemote
PS3
Samsung 50" Plasma
Epson 720HD 3LCD
EliteScreens 100" Powered Screen
AV123 X-Statik
AV123 X-Voce
Audio Pro EGO 212 x 4
Polk PSW505 x 2

And here we go...

"I don't care if he's Mohamed "I'm Hard" Bruce Lee!" - Brick Top Polford: Snatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-25-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a few screen shots...

"I don't care if he's Mohamed "I'm Hard" Bruce Lee!" - Brick Top Polford: Snatch
post #3 of 14 Old 12-25-2011, 08:29 PM

Liked: 10
Very impressive. I love the way those mesh grills look on the speakers.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
I like the dual flat panel + PJ/screen setup in your space (given the amount of light you must get during the day).

I noticed that you use front height speakers - do you notice an improvement with the surround effects when watching movies?
post #5 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
wow!, sweet setup. I'm sure you have no problems getting some friend over to watch the game. Your room doesn't seem very big for that massive output...bleeding ears anyone

cheers
post #6 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Very nice!
Just need a little cable work
post #7 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the warm complements!

bencorn, I too like the metal mess grills. The added bonus being that they hold up much better to cat claws than cloth grills. Though luckily, they haven't done anything to any of the speakers.

tezster, the height speakers do add "size" to the sound, giving me an entire wall of sound to match up with the 100" screen when it's down. They even sound good with music. Speaking of the screen, it only comes down after night fall, so no worries about light killing the image.

jproy13, no game watching going on here. Also, no ear bleeding either. These speakers are very extended but smooth, plus there's this little thing called the volume control which keeps ears from bleeding.

galvs, since I live in an apartment, this is about as good as I'm going to get the cables. Now in a year or two, we hope to move into a large condo. Then I can do the system up the way it should be.

post #8 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
That's no center channel!!! I know a flying saucer when I see one!!!!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #9 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Hi Anamorphic, congrats for your setup!! Awesome as it is, one of the best I have ever seen on this thread! Really!! I bet it sounds fantastic!

Just a couple-a observations:

1. As I see you took the photo while seated at the couch, so in this respect I can see the top of the center speaker. You may try to find a way to tilt the center to seated ear height resulting in improved dialog intelligibility. You know, speakers always have their widest frequency range and highest SPL (Sound Pressure level) when on-axis to our ears.

2. Same could be done with the Front Heights, a little tilt downward should do the trick.

3. Your Onk has the Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction software. Did you run it with all 8 mic positions? For best results you may read the Audyssey setup guide (link under my sig). After the setup the best results you will get when using MultEQ + DynEQ together!

Congrats again!
post #10 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Hi Anamorphic, congrats for your setup!! Awesome as it is, one of the best I have ever seen on this thread! Really!! I bet it sounds fantastic!

Just a couple-a observations:

1. As I see you took the photo while seated at the couch, so in this respect I can see the top of the center speaker. You may try to find a way to tilt the center to seated ear height resulting in improved dialog intelligibility. You know, speakers always have their widest frequency range and highest SPL (Sound Pressure level) when on-axis to our ears.

2. Same could be done with the Front Heights, a little tilt downward should do the trick.

3. Your Onk has the Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction software. Did you run it with all 8 mic positions? For best results you may read the Audyssey setup guide (link under my sig). After the setup the best results you will get when using MultEQ + DynEQ together!

Congrats again!

I highly doubt my system is one of the best you've seen. There's nothing special about it.

As for angling the center channel, the tweeter is only about an inch or two below my ears while seated. It's not enough to make any difference. I don't have brackets for the surrounds. They are just hung by the keyhole slots on the backs of them.

Yes, I ran all 8 mic positions.

post #11 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
nice to see a fellow HT guy doing up an apartment too! How's the noise with neighbors? I've been able to keep myself in check but it's hard. Like you, I'm upgrading to a house in less than 2 years and then I'm going all out!!!

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #12 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

nice to see a fellow HT guy doing up an apartment too! How's the noise with neighbors? I've been able to keep myself in check but it's hard. Like you, I'm upgrading to a house in less than 2 years and then I'm going all out!!!

Well like I said before, I don't play the system too loud, especially since I'm on the second floor. I haven't measured with my SPL meter, but I would imagine that I typically run the system around 85-90dB. There are a few times when I like to play a certain section of a movie and song at blasting levels, but only for a few moments, just to get my "fix", if you know what I mean.

One of the nice things about having dual subs (one in close proximity to the listening position), enables me to keep their levels down and still get the sound and feel of the action. When I had just the one SVS PB12-Plus/2, it was rather loud and shook the entire apartment. It just didn't sound right. With the dual Polk subs, even at low volumes, the sub in the corner of our couch and love seat rumbles our hinies like crazy. Then again, I do have the rear slot port shooting directly under the couch!

post #13 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
what did you do it the old sub?

It still looks like an amazing set up. Best of luck with it. It looks amazing.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #14 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

what did you do it the old sub?

It still looks like an amazing set up. Best of luck with it. It looks amazing.

I sold the SVS a couple years ago. Thanks for the great complements too!

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page