Tezster's modest 7.1 Living Room HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I've always been reticent to create a thread of my own, as looking at other people's setup has the effect of making mine look wholly inadequate. But I've finally decided to go ahead and make a post of my system (since it really isn't going to get much better).

(Updated 8/16/2014)

Equipment:
  • Sony KDL-70R550A
  • Denon AVR-X2000 Receiver
  • Playstation 3
  • WDTV Live
  • Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player
  • Rogers SA8300 PVR

7.1 Speaker Configuration:

*Klipsch Icon V for the main soundstage*
  • VF-36 L/R
  • VC-25 Center
  • VS-14 Surrounds
  • Energy Take 2.2 satellites for the front heights
  • SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer + Subdude platform

Front view

Antec HDTV Bias Lighting Kit (2)

Bias Lighting rear view

Front Height Speakers

Back wall/seating area

A few equipment shots

Last edited by tezster; 08-16-2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: updated HT equipment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-28-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Greetings! This is a great setup....I am loving those Klipsch speakers! In regards to the statement in in the first sentence of your post, no need to feel this system is inadequate. As long as you smile in satisfaction when watching a movie or listening to music, then you're all set!! Great job! How are those height-channels working for you?
wilfredent likes this.
post #3 of 27 Old 12-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
X2 on BrolicBeast's comment - nice set-up. If you are happy with the sound and picture, then all is good.

I'd also like to give you kudos on the wire management effort. Nice and clean

Best,
Dan
post #4 of 27 Old 12-28-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, Brolic - I'm definitely happy with my own little corner of HT

I find the height channels very subtle; I wouldn't call it a significant improvement. It's most noticeable in scenes with inclement weather (i.e. heavy rain), or with crowd noise in sports broadcasts. Since the receiver is new to me as well, I'm still dialing-in the settings.
post #5 of 27 Old 12-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
looks nice. I would have went with more separation between the left and right from the TV but otherwise nice!

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #6 of 27 Old 12-28-2011, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I like it! Very clean. How are the takes for height speakers? Was always considering doing heights.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #7 of 27 Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

looks nice. I would have went with more separation between the left and right from the TV but otherwise nice!

Thanks Yes, more separation would definitely be ideal for the fronts - I'm limited by lack of wall space, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I like it! Very clean. How are the takes for height speakers? Was always considering doing heights.

Thanks

I've set the Takes +5dB louder than the Audyssey calibrated settings, to make them more audible. They're almost invisible, otherwise. In my case, my thought process went along the lines of "my (newish) receiver is capable, and I already have the speakers, mounting hardware and extra wiring, so why not?" instead of being driven by any real need. But I'm glad I did it.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-29-2011, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Very neat looking setup you got there.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

Thanks Yes, more separation would definitely be ideal for the fronts - I'm limited by lack of wall space, unfortunately.

Thanks

I've set the Takes +5dB louder than the Audyssey calibrated settings, to make them more audible. They're almost invisible, otherwise. In my case, my thought process went along the lines of "my (newish) receiver is capable, and I already have the speakers, mounting hardware and extra wiring, so why not?" instead of being driven by any real need. But I'm glad I did it.

Ahh ok glad you're enjoying them! I was considering doing heights with some left over speakers but early reviews of heights haven't persuaded me to drill holes in the wall yet lol. Oneday lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #10 of 27 Old 01-21-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Your system is very nice. You don't need to spend six figures to have a setup to be proud of. It looks like your mains are very close to the wall behind them. You might get a better balance of sound if you can pull them out a little.

post #11 of 27 Old 01-21-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks bartman with the front mains, I'm assuming you're referring to the sound reflections off the front wall causing a problem? The speakers are front-ported, which hopefully means any detrimental effects from being too close to the wall is minimized.

I can definitely move the mains forward a bit (a few inches), but not too much, as I don't want them to project too much into the room (when I say project, I don't mean acoustically, but rather from an aesthetics standpoint, due to the limited space I have).

I'm also trying to keep the tweeters of the center channel and the front L/R as close to the same plane as possible.

In any case, I can reposition them slightly, rerun Audyssey and see if I notice an improvement.
post #12 of 27 Old 01-21-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Where did you buy those cable moldings?
post #13 of 27 Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bought it from a Canadian hardware store called Rona - http://www.rona.ca/shop/shop?storeId...words=duraline

Most hardware stores should carry some type of cable organization line of products.
post #14 of 27 Old 01-22-2012, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
You actually have a very respectable set up. Don't know why you've waited so long. If you've ever taken a look at my first set up, you'd probably laugh your a** off.

You can see my progression over the last two years, my thread is titled "Finally get first man cave".

Your set up is very clean and organized. I tried heights for awhile and found the wides to be more active. In your case, I don't think you could go any wider, what you've done looks great!!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #15 of 27 Old 03-04-2012, 02:34 PM

Liked: 13
very nice. loving the bias lighting. what did you use for it?

HD-DVD: 55 / Blu-ray: 83
newest: Brotherhood of the Wolf / Battlestar Galactica (series), TDKR Part 2, Ip Man 2

AVR: Marantz SR6006

F/C/R: Polk RTi A9's / CSi A6 / Speakercraft AIMWIDE 3

Sub: SVS PB12-NSD

Samsung PN58C8000 Samsung BD-P2550, Toshiba HD-A30, SA 8240HDC, Xbox360 Elite, PS3, WDTV Live

post #16 of 27 Old 03-04-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemetblk View Post

very nice. loving the bias lighting. what did you use for it?

Thanks

It's a VERY simple setup: two 12" F8T5 strip lights (w/ 6500k bulbs) stuck onto either side of the mounting frame of my TV stand. To reduce the light output and limit light scatter, I just taped a couple of layers of electrical tape over the strip covers, and "constructed" a mask out of foam board (to make sure most of the light is directed towards the rear wall, and not out the top or sides).

The strips are connected to an AC outlet on my receiver, so the lights turn on and off with the receiver.

Here's a pic of the back of the TV with the top portion of the mask removed:

It's not exactly pretty, but it doesn't need to be as it's out of sight.
post #17 of 27 Old 03-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Nice setup!!

Is that a Boltz CD/DVD/Blu-ray rack on the right?
post #18 of 27 Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't remember what brand it is, but it isn't a Boltz rack (I guess it looks a tiny bit similar). I bought it from a small furniture store about 5 years ago.
post #19 of 27 Old 03-05-2012, 06:40 AM

Liked: 10
Completely off topic, but is there a name for that painting above your couch? I have a feeling the wife would love it.
post #20 of 27 Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain77 View Post

Completely off topic, but is there a name for that painting above your couch? I have a feeling the wife would love it.

It's actually a photo print on canvas from a landscape photographer named Andrew Collett. This photo in particular is called Algonquin:

http://www.andrewcollett.com/gallery/?page=4

My original plan was to buy an oil painting for that space, but for the size I wanted, the prices for the pieces I liked were far beyond the budget I had in mind; a canvas print was a cheaper alternative that still gave me the look I wanted.
post #21 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Original post has been updated with new photos (replaced the TV with a Sony 70" a few weeks ago). Now I need a receiver that's 3D compatible, but that'll have to wait until my credit card recovers from this particular purchase wink.gif

post #22 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Great setup! Really clean and I dig the backlights. What is your initial assessment of the Sony TV? I'm eyeing it myself. This will be my first non plasma since CRT TVs.

Have you tried the 3D at all? I know you said your AVR is not 3D compatible, but have you tried anyway? Apparently, there are some cases where such receiver will pas the signal anyway.

Any who, have a good one,

cheers
post #23 of 27 Old 12-15-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! smile.gif

I think my old CCFL-based LCD was a tad better in terms of picture quality - the Sony is decent. I was very wary of all the PQ issues inherent with current edge-lit LCDs, but it's hard to get away from unless you have a very generous budget to work with (which I didn't). Out of the box, mine had very evident cloudiness/uniformity issues. Fortunately, I was able to 'massage' it out (sounds strange, but it worked for me). Now I'm quite pleased with it. If you do get one, make sure you do it from a store with a good return policy, so you can return/replace it if you're unhappy with the PQ.

As for 3D, yes I've tried it, and I actually quite like it - it looks better than I thought it would. I know that each eye is only getting half resolution, but the image detail holds up quite well (I specifically wanted to get a passive 3D set). My receiver can pass through 720p 3D signals, but not 1080p, so I have an HDMI switch that bypasses the AVR and connects my PS3 directly to the TV for watching 3D movies. I watched Pacific Rim and was quite impressed - the 3D effect is very pronounced. I bought myself a pair of clip-on 3D glasses to use over my prescription glasses, which is much better than trying to wear a pair of 3D glasses over my own.
post #24 of 27 Old 08-16-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Nice set up! Now all you need is a new up date to include that new SVS SB-2000.
tezster likes this.

Living Room
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony PS3, Marantz SR5008, Center PC2000, Front & Surround's PM1000, Sub PB-2000, Harmony Smart Remote

Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P46S1, Panasonic HTIB SA-BT200
post #25 of 27 Old 08-16-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reminder! First post updated with new photos and equipment list.

post #26 of 27 Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Great setup. Extremely clean! I noticed a lot of the commenters compliments were almost backhanded. You know, such as, "so long as you're happy with it," insinuating it was inferior in some way. These people must be high. Your set up is freaking awesome. Good job. I don't know how you could have ever felt inadequate at posting a gallery? The only thing I wonder is, where is the second sub located?
tezster likes this.

post #27 of 27 Old 08-21-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post
Great setup. Extremely clean! I noticed a lot of the commenters compliments were almost backhanded. You know, such as, "so long as you're happy with it," insinuating it was inferior in some way. These people must be high. Your set up is freaking awesome. Good job. I don't know how you could have ever felt inadequate at posting a gallery? The only thing I wonder is, where is the second sub located?
Thanks for the positive comments For now, I'm just running the one new sub (old one is in storage). Since I'll be getting a Buttkicker for my sofa to compliment the sub soon (whenever they get it in stock), I think this should provide me with enough tactile feel, without bothering my neighbours too much.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv , Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Western Digital Wdtv Full Hd Media Player Recertified , Klipsch Icon Vf 36 Floorstanding Speaker , Energy Take Satellite Speakers Pair Black , Energy S 10 3 800 Watt 10 Inch Subwoofer Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page