Scout's Staff HT - work in progress - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 62 Old 05-24-2012, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how did you run your wii sensor to the tv?

also did you run usb extension cable to your tv as well for like a webcam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 Old 05-24-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyyyy View Post

how did you run your wii sensor to the tv?

also did you run usb extension cable to your tv as well for like a webcam?

Hi Tonyyyy,

The wii sensor is wireless - you can pick them up pretty cheap on Amazon.

I only ran 2 sets of cables between the equipment and TV. One HDMI cable and one 5 wire component video/audio RCA cable from Cables to Go. The audio cables connect the cable box to the TV speakers for when we do not want to use the HT system (WAF). There is also an optical cable run from the cable box to the receiver for when I want to use the HT system when watching sports.

Good luck story - When we were having the house finished back in early 2007, my AVR at the time could only handle component video and lower. After doing some reading, I decided to add the HDMI cable at the very last minute just in case....so glad i did.

Getting to your USB question - there is a USB input on the front of the Onkyo AVR where I can pass any signal through to the TV (I'll confess that I have only used it once during original set-up). I typically pull videos or pictures from either the Apple TV, AVR network capability or simply plug in the Atlona AT-Air3 wireless broadcast steamer to a laptop.

Hope this helps
post #33 of 62 Old 07-03-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I couldn't take the lack of auto on/off between the AVR and amplifier (helps the family out too since they often forget to turn off the amp when shutting the system down), so I purchased a 12 volt trigger and short Pangea power cables to connec the AVR to the Furman power filter. A 3.5mm mono cable then connects between the 12v trigger and amplifier to turn it on and off when the AVR is turned on or off. smile.gif

The Onkyo does have a 12v trigger, but it is designed for zone 2, not the main mad.gif

12VtriggerwithPangeapowercables.jpg
post #34 of 62 Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I thought I would also post a couple pictures of the Dynaboxes and FM antenna located in the scuttle above the family room....I mean HT... I've been very happy with the result on both the sound quality of the speakers and FM reception

Dual Dynaboxes for the two in-ciling center speakers
DSC_0026.jpg

Dynaboxes with FM antenna
DSC_0027.jpg

Other side of the dynaboxes - ceiling with dual center speakers (angled woofer and directional tweeter)
DSCN1673.jpg
post #35 of 62 Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Question for all you universal remote users out there. I really need to add a universal remote to my system and I am considering either the Logitech Harmony One, Harmony 900 or Harmony 1100. I know the major differences between the three (# of devises and RF capability of yes or no). What would you recommend?

Devices that I would control:
  • AVR
  • Blu ray player
  • Wii
  • PS3 (I think this needs an RF adaptor, but I do not use it for movies - it's more of a back up blu ray system since my son plays games on it.)
  • cable box
  • Plasma TV
  • Zone 2 Speaker switch (RF)
  • Apple TV
    [/LIST

thank you
post #36 of 62 Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The 900 and the 1100 are essantially the same, different form factor. The Hamony One is much cheaper and proven. Unless you plan to use your second zone often, the One should be...well the one.
post #37 of 62 Old 07-25-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 332
As an owner of oth the 1100 and the 900 (and former 100 owner), I would definitely suggest the One for its more conventional design if your family uses the room a lot and your gears' it receivers can receive the signal from your seating area (if not, then definitely the RF 900).. But for pure pride--and watching the expressions on guests' faces when you use it-- I would definitely recommend the 1100 for it's "home theater-ness.". I use the 1100 in my main theater and the 900 in my media room. A difficult choice to be sure, but it's hard to go wrong with any of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Question for all you universal remote users out there. I really need to add a universal remote to my system and I am considering either the Logitech Harmony One, Harmony 900 or Harmony 1100. I know the major differences between the three (# of devises and RF capability of yes or no). What would you recommend?
Devices that I would control:
  • AVR
  • Blu ray player
  • Wii
  • PS3 (I think this needs an RF adaptor, but I do not use it for movies - it's more of a back up blu ray system since my son plays games on it.)
  • cable box
  • Plasma TV
  • Zone 2 Speaker switch (RF)
  • Apple TV
    [/LIST
    thank you
post #38 of 62 Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I use the 1100 and like it a lot. At first, I wasn't quite sure about it but it's a lot of fun to use and I don't miss the regular remote form factor. The 1100 looks and feels a lot more high end without spending a small fortune on a Crestron or other really high end remotes.
post #39 of 62 Old 12-23-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's been pretty quiet on the HT front the past few months. I had picked up some Pangea AC-14 power cables a few months back and finally decided to switch out the Emotiva power cabes from the power conditioner and amp to the two powered subwoofers.

Looking forward to playing with the much anticipated Harmony 1100 remote for Christmas.

Have a good holiday everyone!!smile.gif
post #40 of 62 Old 12-01-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Haven't posted in a while since it's been pretty quiet on the AV world. I happily re-allocated the funds to celebrate my wife's 50th earlier this year.

Question for the group as many of you have Oppo players. Christmas is coming and the wife is asking what to get me. I'm trying to decide between the Oppo 103 and 103D to replace the Sony S560. The plan is to move the Sony to the bedroom by replacing an older Onkyo DVD player. I've seen conflicting reviews on the benefits of the Qdeo vs the Darbee. Except of the $100 difference and the processor chip, do you find everything else equal? What would you recommend between the two players?

Thanks
post #41 of 62 Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haven't posted in a while since it's been pretty quiet on the AV world. I happily re-allocated the funds to celebrate my wife's 50th earlier this year.

Question for the group as many of you have Oppo players. Christmas is coming and the wife is asking what to get me. I'm trying to decide between the Oppo 103 and 103D to replace the Sony S560. The plan is to move the Sony to the bedroom by replacing an older Onkyo DVD player. I've seen conflicting reviews on the benefits of the Qdeo vs the Darbee. Except of the $100 difference and the processor chip, do you find everything else equal? What would you recommend between the two players?

Thanks

The Qdeo will probably be more beneficial if you watch a lot of DVD's, but if Blu Ray is your source, the 103D is the better model with the Darbee processing.

post #42 of 62 Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

The Qdeo will probably be more beneficial if you watch a lot of DVD's, but if Blu Ray is your source, the 103D is the better model with the Darbee processing.

Thank you Sir - I tend to watch more Blu-rays these days. Although the DVD collection is rather extensive.
post #43 of 62 Old 12-29-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, I'm not sure how I won the "I have the best wife in the world prize", but I did. Not only was she okay with me using our main living space as a dual purpose quasi home theater she embraced it - especially when I tried going somewhat stealth on the many speakers with in-walls. For this Christmas I had asked my wife for an Oppo BR player. What did she decide to pick up for me instead...... A projector and TBD power retractable screen. I'm speechless eek.gifbiggrin.gif
slemmon likes this.
post #44 of 62 Old 01-04-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:

Ok, I'm not sure how I won the "I have the best wife in the world prize", but I did. Not only was she okay with me using our main living space as a dual purpose quasi home theater she embraced it - especially when I tried going somewhat stealth on the many speakers with in-walls. For this Christmas I had asked my wife for an Oppo BR player. What did she decide to pick up for me instead...... A projector and TBD power retractable screen. I'm speechless eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Okay, I have to jump in here.

First off, yeah, that's pretty freaking awesome!!! If I hadn't married my wife, I'd marry yours for sure biggrin.gif

Mine does not allow me into the living space, but so long as I keep a dedicated room, the sky is the limit. My wife puts no restraints on my set up. She not only got me my first receiver and gave me my first upgrade on my mains, but she's perfectly okay with me going from a 7.2 to an 11.4, once budget allows of course. But she says, "it's your thing, do what you want",

So, after reading your post, I'll share the best in the world prize with you cool.gif

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #45 of 62 Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You are absolutely correct Geoff. Many of us here on AVS have amazing significant others and the honor should be shared. Can't wait to see your set-up of 11.4. biggrin.gif
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #46 of 62 Old 02-28-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Big orders have been placed in the past 2 weeks!!! Finally decided on a motorized retractable screen and after several quotes and store visits – we finally ordered our “mostly” motorized black-out window shades for the room. I’m probably 3 weeks out from actually getting this stuff installed due to delivery timing and mounting the PJ and screen will be a significant effort and require a contractor to install the screen and PJ. It’s been killing me to have a PJ sitting in a box since New Years.
slemmon likes this.
post #47 of 62 Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Upgradeitis has set-in and progress is coming I swear. In addition to the retractable screen, PJ mount and semi-motorized light blocking shades I've also ordered a new AVR (Anthem MRX 510) to help with the reflections (my room is made of glass) , PBK subwoofer calibration kit and Oppo 103D. I'm told the screen has finally shipped and should be able to get installed over next weekend. The AVR, PBK kit, PJ mount, 3D kit and Looong Audioquest HDMI cable are in. I'll pick up the AVR and PBK kit this weekend. The Oppo is scheduled for delivery tonight. Most of my black-out shades are in now in (at dealer), they are just waiting for the arch window shades to be delivered. They are suppose to ship Tuesday.

I'm changing from the Onkyo to Anthem to utilize the in theory higher quality room correction software to help tame the reflections since sound panels are off the table for WAF. I looked at samples of screen printed sound panels to help with minimizing the clunky visual, but the wife did not like the shiny nylon look. I'm hoping the shades cut down on reflections as well during movie time.

Pictures and product impressions coming soon. biggrin.gif
post #48 of 62 Old 04-03-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So the custom electric retractable shade was delivered to my AV dealer this week, but it was damaged in transit and therefore rejected. My dealer is working with the manufacturer to build a new one and ship for delivery early next week. patience. patience.

I'm enjoying the new Anthem AVR and Oppo, but I have not had time to perform any kind of audio calibrations yet. Loving the new sound though already - but I may be just telling myself that. rolleyes.gif I'm not sure if I need to break in the new AVR first before any calibration despite using an external amp that is already broken in.

Dumb first impression, the Anthem remote and set-up interface is much better than the Onkyo. I have not updated my Harmony 1100 yet - and may not since I am getting a new universal remote along with the PJ and screen install.
post #49 of 62 Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are 2 new pieces of equipment - the new Oppo 103D and Anthem MRX510. I've also included a side by side picture of the older Onkyo TX-NR3007 and new Anthem. Amazing the size and weight difference between the two AVRs. While ripping everything apart, I decided to remove the Wii from the set-up as well since it hadn't really been used much. I had also added a Roku3 a couple months back to take advantage of amazon prime. Of course I have yet to watch any movies via the Roku.

post #50 of 62 Old 04-11-2014, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Projector and Screen install has begun today finally!! Large hole in the ceiling at the moment - but it's all good. The light blocking window shades will be installed Monday.

Oh, and have tickets to see Captain America for Saturday night at the "local" Imax theater. We'll see if I can leave the HT, I mean house to go see it.
post #51 of 62 Old 04-11-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the world of Anthem smile.gif ARC is fantastic!! the Anthem MRX thread is full of helpful highly knowledgeable ppl. Congrat on the screen and projector.

cheers
post #52 of 62 Old 04-14-2014, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you jproy13 I'm really looking forward to running ARC soon. I'm still burning in the receiver before I do that. I also picked up a PBK since I read that ARC has issues calibrating subwoofers.

The projector screen in 95 percent Installed. Hopefully the final adjustments will be complete Tuesday along with the projector install. The light blocking blinds are to be installed today.
post #53 of 62 Old 04-14-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you jproy13 I'm really looking forward to running ARC soon. I'm still burning in the receiver before I do that. I also picked up a PBK since I read that ARC has issues calibrating subwoofers.

The projector screen in 95 percent Installed. Hopefully the final adjustments will be complete Tuesday along with the projector install. The light blocking blinds are to be installed today.

The pbk is certainly a great tool. I really never had issues calibrating my subs. "Quick measure" showed me a big flaw that I had that I wasn't aware of. I was able to get rid of a severe null I had between 50 and 80Hz that I couldn't see with audyssey. I'm a fan of both but I like the visuals and tweakability I get with ARC. Its kind of like MCACC combine with Audyssey.

I'm sure you'll be able to achieve great result and will be following your these for your impressions :-)

Cheers
post #54 of 62 Old 04-15-2014, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Frustrations are mounting on my pj and screen installations. Sometimes I think I should have gone a less expensive route. First I will say my AV dealer and his contractor have been great, my issues have been around the actual equipment. To sum up, I had 5 power shades installed - 1 came with a bad motor. I'm told it will be at least 2 weeks for a replacement. The remote and trigger switch does not appear to be working on the screen preventing me from raising and lowering it without going into the crawl space above the room to raise or lower from a temporary hard wired controller. Hopefully this will be resolved this week. And finally, the 50' HDMI cable did not work - it had already been run through the walls up into the attic. Now a new cable has been ordered and will need to be run. This is killing me

So to keep my spirits up, i thought I would pose a fun question. What was your first movie when you added your first projector and screen? I'm wrestling with what to watch first to make it special. A movie I've seen or something new? Of course it will need to be some kind of action adventure - I'm simple like that.
post #55 of 62 Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...i thought I would pose a fun question. What was your first movie when you added your first projector and screen? I'm wrestling with what to watch first to make it special. A movie I've seen or something new? Of course it will need to be some kind of action adventure - I'm simple like that.
TRANSFORMERS!!!!! I'll never forget that moment. :-)
post #56 of 62 Old 05-10-2014, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally posting an update with photos of the new power retractable screen, PJ and power light blocking shades installed. Have had the new screen and projector working for almost 2 weeks, but I still need to get it calibrated. However, the picture looks very good so far.

flush mount 110" screen - SI Black Diamond 16:9 ratio

Screen down - with 4' drop from ceiling

Projector - Wolf Cinema SDC10

post #57 of 62 Old 05-10-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Transformers complete. As well as Avengers, Amazing Spiderman and Iron Man III to name a few biggrin.gif

And of course the BRUINS. Go B's

A couple pictures of the light blocking shades - remote controlled
right front corner
DSC_0039.jpg

left front corner
DSC_0041.jpg
post #58 of 62 Old 05-10-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Dude, nice score on the screen and the WOLF!!!!! Looks like a mighty fine picture!
post #59 of 62 Old 05-11-2014, 08:28 AM

Liked: 130
Nice! Congrats on the new toys. Run ARC yet?
post #60 of 62 Old 05-11-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not yet. I've been trying to burn in the new AVR first. I'm hoping to calibrate the AVR and projector in the next week to two
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr3007 140 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Arcam , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S560 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page