Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 11-06-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Now, I have to ask, which do you prefer: the Maggies or the JBL's?

Oh man....now that's a hard one.....they are so different.
The JBL's seem alot more accurate and defined, and reach a good bit lower, but the amazing depth and presence of the Maggie's is hard to top. If I could somehow combine the two...it would be perfection. I guess I could drop a few thousand more and get the MG3.7r Maggies and would be the best of both.....hmmmm.... Now you've got my wheels turning buddy!

TV's ain't theaters buddy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 12-12-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Audio improves dramatically as I get closer to speakers at 30 sec.
Is a camera phone not so fantastic overall, but vid anyways

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 53 Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Never added anything for my little sound fill system in my main living room.

Swan M200 with Sony Vaio running FLAC from XBMC....simple as it gets.

post #34 of 53 Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Gregg, how do you like the Yaqin MC-100B?

I started, slowly, building an analog rig in another room and taking a look at the Yaqin MS-110B. It also uses the KT88 tubes. My plan is to also use a Pro-ject Debut Carbon with the Pro-ject tube box preamp. For speakers I am looking at the Zu Audio Omens. What do you think about that setup?

post #35 of 53 Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in love with Zu Audio. After hearing a few different pairs, and also their whole aesthetic of hand-built quality, customizable in every way. A pair will definitely find its way into my den at some point.
Haven't looked at the MS110 yet. I do love KT88 amps, and for the price, can't beat the sound and output. Swapping out the Shugong tubes is a necessity, I have used a few and like the Gold Lion and Sovteks, Sovteks winning slightly by clarity. As far as the Pro-ject stuff, I can't say, I don't have any first hand experience with them.

(PS - Looked at the 110, for its price, I would prefer the MC100. It's a true dual-mono setup with independent transformers for each channel and 6SN7 instead of 12AU's, which I greatly prefer the sound of.

post #36 of 53 Old 02-16-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Thanks Greg. Do you think the Yaqin stuff is a good way to go if on a budget? Have you had had any issues with yours? I know this stuff is all made in China but the build quality seems good, at least in the pictures. One day I would like to have some Cary or Bob Carver tube monoblocks but that ain't happening anytime soon. lol

Oh, does your MC100 come with a remote control? That is a must for me.

post #37 of 53 Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't had a problem with my Yaqin, bought it used and have had it for about a little over a year. My model has no remote, which can be a pain. For their price, I've not seen anything better, a good way to go for us budget guys.

If you are using Zu, the bigger amps aren't necessary. I've talked a lot with those guys and they are specifically designed for use with low-output (around 5watt) SET amps, I would try to go that route and get every bit of midrange magic those types of amps put into a speaker made for their sound. Yaqin makes the MS300B, which is a Single-Ended Triode amp, would be a great match, but not sure if has a remote. Some DAC's, like the Emotiva unit, which is excellent and cost-effective, have a remote to vary its output (volume) to go between your CD or streamer and integrated amp. As far as Vinyl, you're getting up every 15 minutes to flip or change the record, so who cares about a remote?!

post #38 of 53 Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Been swapping and testing and changing things around lately. While the JBL's are getting a full strip down restoration, I had built some open baffle speakers based on the old Pioneer BOFU 8" full-ranger. (walnut, open back cabs with a rear-firing soft-dome)

Went out to the Vintage Voltage Expo yesterday and picked up this set of original series Dali 8's for a ridiculous deal.

This is probably the best all-around speaker I have used, in-so-far. Clarity and authority with everything I have played through them. Even pulled through Track 10 (Allegro non molto of L'Inverno) on the Standage/Pinnock English concert of the 4 seasons (period instruments) which is an incredibly difficult piece of music for a speaker to reproduce.
Really pleased with them, but they sure are monstrously huge, and somewhat ugly. Not positive I will be keeping them in this room.

post #39 of 53 Old 04-09-2014, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Finally getting around to restoring the JBL L100's I like to use.

Here's a few pics of the JBL's in progress (only cosmetically restoring, decided that, even though they have many flaws that can be fixed with new crossovers etc., I prefer to keep them as they are as a little time machine).

All the components lying in wait for the fresh cabinets

Sanding the black finish off of the porous faces

Sanding back the veneer to clean wood

Filling the scratches and gouges with a mixture of glue and walnut dust

Sanding sealer added over the veneer.....this is all sanded back to the wood, just to fill the open pore grain of the walnut and give a flat, smooth surface for finishing

The veneers have been sanded down to 400g and coated with Deft satin lacquer. Have filled the grill pin holes and and adding layers of high build primer to get a smooth, uniform base to repaint the faces

The sanding sealer is well worth doing, creates a really fine finish once it's lacquered. Very time consuming process though. 4 coats, 1 hr dry between each and can only do 1 side at a time, followed by a considerable amount of sanding. But, again....well worth the time.

post #40 of 53 Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

One down, one to go....plus matching red walnut stands.

post #41 of 53 Old 04-15-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Almost complete on the JBL resto project. Another day or two, depending on temperature.
Then, on to an integrated table/self-powered 2 channel setup for the bedroom. (thank goodness that room is modern-minimalist, makes the finishing quite a bit easier) Then a cabinet redesign on a pair of Series II Dali 8's (they are huge and quite ugly, but, good lord do they sound good).

post #42 of 53 Old 04-20-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22

love all the systems here! The JBL's look stuning after the work on the enclosers!

post #43 of 53 Old 04-23-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Awesome thread. I enjoyed your Jul restoration project. Also your two man caves are sweet!!
Tzuky likes this.

\m/ Hook'em Horns!

==========
Work for a Cause, Not for Applause. Live Life to Express, Not to Impress.
Don’t Strive to make your Presence Noticed,
Just make your Absence Felt. -Unknown
post #44 of 53 Old 04-24-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Here they are together, finished
pjp and Tzuky like this.

post #45 of 53 Old 05-15-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Built the danish-modern stereo console table for the bedroom. Self-powered. Made from the drivers from an Infinity TS-750 set I had laying around. Used the 10" sub on the bottom and amplifier for that, and a Lepai 2020 for the front drivers. Just gonna have the SmarTV plugged into it, as we do use Pandora in there quite often.

Tzuky likes this.

post #46 of 53 Old 05-16-2014, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22

this looks stunning!

post #47 of 53 Old 05-25-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

So, a pair of these fell into my lap. Some think that the 50 watts/channel from my KT88 tube amp isn't enough.....well, with 105db sensitivity, it can get the job done...to painful levels (while still being crisp and clear)

Tzuky likes this.

post #48 of 53 Old 06-25-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

New toys. Swan FR3b. Sound quite fantastic. I love ribbon tweeters. Built the matching stands, but I think I'll be making new ones, far different in design

post #49 of 53 Old 06-27-2014, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theonetruegreg View Post
You know what's more fun than a theater....
.....a completely restored to perfection 1968 Honda CL450 Scrambler blasting down gravel and railroad ties.

after a year of building, "The Mule" is finally complete!
great looking bike fella

I restored this over twenty years and still have it ..

post #50 of 53 Old 06-27-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signs View Post
great looking bike fella

I restored this over twenty years and still have it ..

It will go for twenty more, as well. Those things are tough

post #51 of 53 Old 06-29-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theonetruegreg View Post

New toys. Swan FR3b. Sound quite fantastic. I love ribbon tweeters. Built the matching stands, but I think I'll be making new ones, far different in design
They look great!

I've had their big brother (F2.2F) for several years. Love them. Where did you pick them up? I've only seen them from that one ebay seller.

Last edited by ThorCorps; 06-29-2014 at 08:19 AM.
post #52 of 53 Old 06-30-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorCorps View Post
They look great!

I've had their big brother (F2.2F) for several years. Love them. Where did you pick them up? I've only seen them from that one ebay seller.
Got a trio of them from a local audio used dealer. TMRaudio.com

post #53 of 53 Old 08-08-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Because "done" is never done.
Added a little extra headroom to the theater. Solved my distortion/compression issues at high volume

The CT400 is running bridged mono for the center channel (440w)
The CT1610 is running the front L and R channels (540w per channel)
(I haven't measured their power output ability, but the older Crowns claim that the rated power is a guaranteed minimum output at 0.1% distortion across the entire frequency range)

I've also recently upgraded the outdoor setup with a Niles SI-1230 systems integration amplifier (12 channel, highly configurable) a quartet of Klipsch CA-650 outdoor speakers (they are the 70V version, but have an 8ohm bypass switch) running under the awnings and a pair of Bose FreeSpace 51's (waterproof units, you've likely seen in planters in outdoor malls and such) buried out near the firepit area.

Last edited by Theonetruegreg; 08-08-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8100 Full Hd 1080p Home Theater Projector , Vsx 92txh Elite Home Theater A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Bdp 23fd Blu Ray Disc Player Upscaling , Boston Acoustics , Dayton Audio Tit400c 4 15 Titanic Mk Iii Subwoofer 4 Ohm , Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Pro8100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page