I make my own furniture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-31-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a small and humble 1 bedroom, 600 square foot apartment on the third floor, but luckily the vaulted ceiling in my living room makes it seem bigger than it is.

Here's my current TV/Game/Home Theater setup:

Samsung LN40C530
Dayton DTA-100A
2x PSB Image B15

The pics are of bad quality, but maybe later on I'll get my brother's girlfriend to shoot some pics of it with her DSLR.

The maroon panel holding the TV and shelf in place I made myself out of plywood and 1x2s-- painted with 9 coats of paint.
The glass shelf I got custom cut from a glass store to fit the length of the TV, and I painted the bottom of it black with an 8th inch inlay form the edges to mimic other black glass panels on the market.
The speaker stands were handmade too from wood and painted black, along with the speakers-- which were originally sienna. I chose to get the sienna speakers and paint them black instead of the black ash Images because the factory black ash has a nasty grain-texture already.

I probably won't end up getting a sub to augment the low end of the bookshelves. Even though they're listed to roll off at around 50hz, I can't imagine needing any more bass for watching movies. Watching Inception today was enough to make me think I'd get noise complaints from the massive amount of boom thrown my way from the bass ports in the front of the speakers.

I will update with more/better pics later if necessary.
slemmon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-31-2012, 07:24 PM

Liked: 10
Nice, and clean looking.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Looks great! The pics are fine either.

What else do you have on the shelf?

-
Rodrigues
post #4 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 06:35 AM

Liked: 31
Looks good...clean, however invest in a better, newer router...they are nicer, more powerful and more pleasing to the eye and price is friendly too.

post #5 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 AM

If looks is your only concern, I would agree. But I've had that router for about 5 years, if it's a wrt54gl, I've had it so long for a reason.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 07:38 AM

That's a very sleek DIY piece. It itself looks like art, on top of being functional.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, huh! The blue is a bit of a change of pace from everything else in the setup. So far it's been working perfect for me for 7 years now, and it hasn't let me down. If I find a nice all black new router out there for under 40usd at some point, I might get it.

The other devices on the shelf are the modem, hd-pvr and ps3.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Great job on the panel and the speaker stands. You have created clean look. Great job.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The Linksys WRT54g can be modified, for 0 cost with DD-WRT flashing and become ridiculously flexible. I currently use one as a wireless bridge in my theater.

And as far as subs go, you never think you need one till hear a really good one, then you can't be without it.

Nice clean room BTW.

TV's ain't theaters buddy.

My junk collection.

post #10 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'd ideally want a sub, but I'm sandwiched between two apartments on either side of me. My living room is around 10 feet wide. The TV/Speakers are on the wall in the middle of my apartment, and face the wall that separates my apartment and my neighbor's apartment. I'd be afraid that producing bass frequencies that low would be hard to block out by just the wall itself. I also might face the problem of having to spend too much on a sub that does what I'd want it to do-- that is, never be a higher relative volume compared to my PSB's bass output, yet provide the extra visceral impact. In other words, completely transparent.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 PM

I would just wait till you have your own place, if that's the case.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 09:15 PM

Very nice just go for it and hand out ear plugs.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Man you guys are good neighbors.....

....Before I got my current house, I lived in a townhome with shared wall neighbors on one side, and behind. I used 2 Dayton Titanic MKIII 15" subs + 5 full range Boston Acoustics speakers in my system, and wasn't afraid to use it!

TV's ain't theaters buddy.

My junk collection.

post #14 of 18 Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

I'd imagine it had a bit more insulation than my place.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-02-2012, 11:31 AM

It totally depends on the construction.

I remember a duplex my sister rented and we'd didn't have a ridiculous system going, but we'd party pretty hard and had the stereo maxed out several times. We asked the neighbors if they heard anything and they didn't, really surprised.
post #16 of 18 Old 02-02-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well in my place, on my other shared wall, I can hear the people next door talk when at night and nothing else is going on and I'm trying to go to bed. It's not loud or anything, but you can hear the vague muffled sound of them talking and laughing. I imagine the shared walls are no thicker than the ordinary walls, and have only a layer or two of fiberglass.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-02-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post

Nice, and clean looking.

+1 Looks Great!
post #18 of 18 Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

A little update. More diy from me, and more diy to come after! Also to note, I replaced the T-amp for a sony receiver, and the blue linksys for a newer, slimmer black linksys. That damn T-amp died on me for the second time.

DIY Acoustic bass traps!!!

First, the material. My dad gathered lots of free acoustic drop ceiling tile (4'x2') that we use for the panels. Each panel is 4'' deep, which means we need roughly 7 of the fiberglass panels stripped from the ceiling tiles.

P1070503.jpg

Next, the custom frame, tapered down to 2 inches at the edges to give the panels a slimmer profile on the wall. Although the picture doesn't show it, the front of the frame has quarter-round at the edges so there's no visible edge-lines on the face of the material when stretched-- painters should know this trick well. There are 4 small pieces of wood spanning the canvas to keep the fiberglass in place.

P1070495.jpg

3 layers of rigid fiberglass is put on until the 2 inch mark where the frame begins to taper, and then the stretching of the fabric begins. For those of you who've never stretched a painting canvas (boy have I-- mfa) you start from the center of each side and then gradually work out, making sure to do all four sides at once in this manner.

P1070509.jpg

What's a good stretching job without good corners? The oddly shaped frames presented a more complex corner, but careful planning, cutting and stapling triumphs.

P1070514.jpg

Now, we insert the last layers of the fiberglass, and cut each one to taper with the frame.

P1070515.jpg

Lastly, a backing material to cover the backside of the bass traps-- no hard back for better performance!

P1070516.jpg

Wall mounting is simple, four brackets like this-- two for top and bottom. One end screws onto the wall and the other screws up into the panel.

P1070525.jpg

I've already made a seafoam green one earlier to go with my couch. The red one will go with my TV panel and red chair.

P1070518.jpg

Looks alright!

P1070530.jpg

Next thing to do: Primitive Root Diffusers! This is a simplified schematic based on a BBC report done in 1990. Normally they're 2'x2', but I'm making them 1'x'1. There will be two groups of 4, centered in between the two bass traps on the back wall. Each group will be made of white pine, douglas fir, redwood and black walnut. 2 down, 6 more to go! An in-depth diy for these will be later.

P1070533.jpg
P1070475.jpg
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page