Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Reviving this thread after a long time.  September 7th 2013 Update:

Got 5 new recliners, an additional PB 13 Ultra,Darbee Drablet video processor and switched the rear speakers to inwalls.

=================================

Hello all,
I've been plugging away at the basement media room/theater for a few years now. My first goal was to get good gear for the room and once we had that we decided to change the layout of the room a bit. Pictures from the start to the current avatar of the room tell the story better than the words i guess. I really have a great time watching in this setup, its a small and cozy setup.

Gear list:

Speakers:
Fronts:
Dali Helicon 400s
Center: Dali Helicon c200
Sides: Energy Veritas
Backs : Energy In-walls 

Subwoofer: 2 X SvS PB-13 Ultras

Screen: Dalite High Power 2.35 125 inch

Projector: Sony VPL VW 40 + Darbee Drablet video processor

Processor : Marantz SR 7500 Pre-Pro
Amplifiers: Gemstone 7 Channel amp(300 watts X 7) & 
B&k reference 2 channel amp

Video:

Sony Networked Bluray player
Sony 5 Disc SACD/DVD Player
Dish HDTV DVR/Hopper

Seating: 5 Berkline 12000 powered recliners in brown.

Miscellaneous stuff:
Harmony One Universal Remote
Refrigrator in back row for easy access to the good stuff :)
GIK Acoustics- 4 first reflection acoustic panels, 2 bass traps in front corners(behind the screen wall).
Screen wall made of GOM.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Pics Pics Pics. Great looking equipment you have there. But if we can't see it, it does not exist.
I clicked on that other link. Are they up to date pics? Because that room looks very nice.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #3 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Images

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #4 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Pics Pics Pics. Great looking equipment you have there. But if we can't see it, it does not exist.
I clicked on that other link. Are they up to date pics? Because that room looks very nice.

Sorry Mike, you caught me in the middle of getting all those damn links together Pics are up now!

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #5 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Nice work, very clean. Those Dalis look great and the svs is a nice match. I've never heard the Dalis but would like to some day

post #6 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

That is a sweet looking setup. I would be proud of that system. I know they are surrounds, but how do you find the Dali and Energy speakers playing together. Would you think about changing them to Dali speakers? I had old polk's I was using as surrounds for a long time but then I changed them to Focal. Not even the same series but it made a huge difference. Regardless, that is a great looking room and I am sure it sounds great as well.

My System
post #7 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Nice work, very clean. Those Dalis look great and the svs is a nice match. I've never heard the Dalis but would like to some day

Thank you, the Dali's sound is incredible, especially for music. The ribbon tweeter lends it a very high sensitivity and they are airy and at the same time warm. If you are ever in the new england area you would be welcome to audition them.

Quote:

That is a sweet looking setup. I would be proud of that system. I know they are surrounds, but how do you find the Dali and Energy speakers playing together. Would you think about changing them to Dali speakers? I had old polk's I was using as surrounds for a long time but then I changed them to Focal. Not even the same series but it made a huge difference. Regardless, that is a great looking room and I am sure it sounds great as well.

Thanks again Mike, took me a few years but i'm almost there now. I still want to lay my hands on one more PB13 Ultra for a dual sub setup and maybe a 3D projector down the line, but i'm very content now

The side-surround Energy Veritas and the Dalis are not that far off in their tonality and the rears Energies don't have that much sound input anyways.

I would have ideally preferred Dalis on the sides at least, but I had the Veritas left over from a bum speaker deal and decided to use them instead. I don't find it distracting at all overall and they seem to blend in well

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #8 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I am on the multi year plan as well. Slow and steady. You may have mentioned it in the other thread, but what are the dimensions of your room. I was just curious about your surrounds and what you felt. A second PB13 would up that system to another level for sure. I have seen good 3D in the movies once and just a little on a 65in TV. I have yet to see it on a front projector screen in someones house though.

My System
post #9 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What I said in a previous post also applies to you. I was pretty impress when I saw the first few pics...and then I scrolled down . one day, one day I'll have something of that caliber.

cheers
post #10 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am on the multi year plan as well. Slow and steady. You may have mentioned it in the other thread, but what are the dimensions of your room. I was just curious about your surrounds and what you felt. A second PB13 would up that system to another level for sure. I have seen good 3D in the movies once and just a little on a 65in TV. I have yet to see it on a front projector screen in someones house though.

I believe the dimensions are close to 18 X 16ish if i remember correctly. I haven't seen 3D on a FP screen either but have been reading good things about it recently in the screen section of the forums. 3D projectors seem to be getting more affordable by the day.

I also feel that 3D will be more immersive in a FP setup than a tv because a TV screen isn't large enough to occupy your whole view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

What I said in a previous post also applies to you. I was pretty impress when I saw the first few pics...and then I scrolled down . one day, one day I'll have something of that caliber.

cheers

Thank you!! I started down this very path and took me a while to get here, all the best!

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #11 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Assuming an eight foot ceiling that is about 2300cf. Two PB13's would be very a great time in a room that size. Also it should help even out the bass and maybe take of some issues you did no now you had.

My System
post #12 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Assuming an eight foot ceiling that is about 2300cf. Two PB13's would be very a great time in a room that size. Also it should help even out the bass and maybe take of some issues you did no now you had.

Yes 8 foot ceiling it is. The bass is very good in the current setup but very high decibel bass gives me fits with the sub being close to bottoming out.

It is very rare, has happened with maybe 2 or 3 movies at most. Hopefully another sub would add that headroom and as you said even it out. Now comes the easy part of convincing the other half

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #13 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

How do you run your sub. In the 20Hz, 15Hz, 10Hz mode. I am assuming not sealed mode.

My System
post #14 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do you run your sub. In the 20Hz, 15Hz, 10Hz mode. I am assuming not sealed mode.

I have one port plugged in, 15hz and room compensation set to medium sized room. I recently ran audyssey again on the unit and the bass seemed noticeably better after that run.

Also i had manually gone in and setup all the speakers to small(though audyssey sets them as large- which they are). That was under the assumption that the mids and highs would be better from mains, but this time i left them all large and the bass is now much better since the subwoofer also gets that extra headroom. The xover is set at 60hz. I haven't heard a noticeable difference in the mains going from small to large so they seem to be handling things fine.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #15 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a good setup. Dual PB13's setup in the 15Hz tune would be killer in that room IMHO.

My System
post #16 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like a good setup. Dual PB13's setup in the 15Hz tune would be killer in that room IMHO.

Yes, now only if i can luck out in finding a used Rosenut one since they seem to have stopped making that finish.

Anyhow, thanks for stopping by the thread Mike, it is great interacting with a fellow enthusiast like yourself!

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #17 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

No prob. I always like looking at what else is out there and trying to help if I can. If you can't find one used, you may have to contact SVS and see which finish is the closest to what you have. If is close enough, it may not matter because I am guessing it will be pretty dark in the room and you may not even notice a difference. For ex, my center is not the same finish as my L\\R but I really don't care because it sounds so good. If I am watching with just a little light I barely notice it and with lights off I don't notice it at all. And the difference between finishes is pretty big for me.

My System
post #18 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No prob. I always like looking at what else is out there and trying to help if I can. If you can't find one used, you may have to contact SVS and see which finish is the closest to what you have. If is close enough, it may not matter because I am guessing it will be pretty dark in the room and you may not even notice a difference. For ex, my center is not the same finish as my L\\R but I really don't care because it sounds so good. If I am watching with just a little light I barely notice it and with lights off I don't notice it at all. And the difference between finishes is pretty big for me.

Right, i can hold out for now till i find one.

I guess the natural wood finish they have might be the closest. But on the other hand there are a few used Ultras for sale which are in black finish.

Ultimately I might decide to go with just that. The price difference between a used and a new sub is quite significant so I try to buy used if its in good condition.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #19 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

Right, i can hold out for now till i find one.

I guess the natural wood finish they have might be the closest. But on the other hand there are a few used Ultras for sale which are in black finish.

Ultimately I might decide to go with just that. The price difference between a used and a new sub is quite significant so I try to buy used if its in good condition.

There is a black one on audiogon right now for $1200. So they do pop up.

My System
post #20 of 29 Old 02-07-2012, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a black one on audiogon right now for $1200. So they do pop up.

Right, i saw that also.. there is another one for 1000$ here on avs classifieds as well. I won't be able to buy immediately though,so hopefully sometime later this year.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #21 of 29 Old 02-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Damen,

Real nice set-up you have there. Great transformation. When you installed your acoustic treatments, did you perform any before and after measurements with REW or some other measuring software?
post #22 of 29 Old 02-10-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Damen,

Real nice set-up you have there. Great transformation. When you installed your acoustic treatments, did you perform any before and after measurements with REW or some other measuring software?

Thanks Dan, no I didn't but there was noticeable difference just going by the ear. The whole soundstage improved a lot and the bass was much tighter. I did try my hand at REW once in the past but never got around to it after that.

I'm too lazy for it i guess

I hope we can get the meet organized so you can hear for yourself, ill be very interested to hear fellow avs'ers take on the room

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #23 of 29 Old 02-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks - I'm in process of trying to figure out what creative ways I can treat my living room while getting acceptance from my better half. She is looking for professional recommendations and not the "trust me" it will sound better approach from me. She does know that we need something to tame it a bit.

I'm looking forward to a meet as well.
post #24 of 29 Old 02-10-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Thanks - I'm in process of trying to figure out what creative ways I can treat my living room while getting acceptance from my better half. She is looking for professional recommendations and not the "trust me" it will sound better approach from me. She does know that we need something to tame it a bit.

I'm looking forward to a meet as well.

I can certainly understand that, my wife is very much against any 'big' AV equipment in our living room. I recently managed to wiggle in a pair of stereo speakers there but she still is not very happy about it

I would suggest dropping someone at one of the acoustic companies an email about it. I had written to Gik acoustics and they came back with some great recommendations after getting to know my room layout etc.

Treatments like bass traps for example will almost always help a room and so will first reflection absorption panels. How much they will help can certainly be quantified with REW etc, but i have no doubt in my mind that the acoustics improved after i put them in.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #25 of 29 Old 02-10-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 290
This is a very impressive setup! The color scheme is perfect and those Dalis look amazing. Its also always great to come across another PB-13 Ultra owner!
post #26 of 29 Old 02-10-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

This is a very impressive setup! The color scheme is perfect and those Dalis look amazing. Its also always great to come across another PB-13 Ultra owner!

Thanks Brolic, you have a fantastic setup yourself and i was just admiring it in your thread! That Pb13U sure is fun!

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #27 of 29 Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Damen,

I love the Dali Helicons' - I just read up a little on them. Beautiful front stage you have. I'm sure they sound amazing with your gear.
post #28 of 29 Old 02-18-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Dan, I did a whole lot of auditioning before i settled on them, very musical and the ribbon tweeters do a great job of producing crystalline highs. I would probably categorize the whole sound as warm.

I'm hoping more people show up in the NE meet thread so we can have that meet. Would love to have you listen to them in person and share your thoughts.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

post #29 of 29 Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updated the thread with some latest photos and details..

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Dali , Energy V Mini W Bracket Single 2 Way Veritas Bookshelf Speaker , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Da Lite Brand , Sony Sxrd Vpl Vw40 Home Theater Projector , Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page