Ivan's second floor theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Think I posted this in the wrong forum at first! (oops)

Well, I'm almost done. Decided that today's as good a day as any to document the build. This is what I've got so far:

Equipment:

1) Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000

2) TV - Samsung 58" 3D plasma C8000

3) Amp driving presence speakers - Audiosource AMP100

4) Speakers - Front - BIC Acoustech HT75's
Center - BIC Acoustech HT-65
Side Surrounds - BIC Acoustech HT-8W's
Rear Surrounds - BIC Acoustech HT-64's
Front Presence - BIC Acoustech HT-8W's
Subwoofers - 2x SVS SB13-Plus

5) Blu-Ray Player - Oppo BDP-93

6) Game Console - XBOX360S, Wii

7) Streaming - Roku2 XS

8) Cable Box - Time Warner HD-DVR

9) Remote - Harmony 890 RF/Zwave (controls lighting)

10) Misc - 24port Gig-E switch, Tripp-lite power conditioner/UPS

11) Seating - 6x berkline motorized recliners (2 rows of three)

Regrets/Lessons learned:

1) Ended up having to spend $$$ to add a second HVAC unit to support the theater area.. uhh.. learned the hard way when it got colder and the wife cranked the heat I planned ahead and added vents to the closet, etc.. but somehow didn't think of THAT!

2) Planned ahead and put in power/ethernet on the riser floor.. but the seating mostly covers them, making at least one of the receptacles useless.. oops.

3) Didn't leave a "lip" on the riser so now it's kinda hard to add rope lighting.

Some pics:

The theater is alone on the second floor.. over the garage, which is nice since I can crank the volume pretty high without bothering anyone else on the house.

I did think ahead and added a nice fridge for my drinks and a popcorn/candy machine.. it's nice not having to come down for much. I even have a bathroom upstairs.

The front stage came out nice, just need to wait a bit before I can add the screen and projector. Not sure which size.. the room is 17w x 20l x 8h.

The builder stuck me with a real big, huge window right there.. it's annoying but I've managed to get good light control with treatments. However, I find that noise comes in through that window quite easily.

I tried to make the most of the available space.. there is an irregularity on the back wall that made it hard/not possible to get symmetrical placement for the rear surrounds. The second SB13 is back there on the riser.

The equipment closet is right by the front stage, and it's 5x5x8, which is OK but kinda cramped sometimes when it comes to turning the rack over to do work.

Closer view of the equipment rack:

Different view of the seating area.. moved the movies over to that corner for now, but need to figure out a better arrangement.

View of the entrance from the second row.. the door is a bit of a pain when it comes to sound leakage (thanks builder), but I have a guy coming in to retrofit some seals and stuff to see if we can improve the performance.

I keep the games, tools, and some movies in this other storage thing.. it works, but a better solution is needed.

It's going to be pretty cool once I get it "finished", with the screen and other details.. however, to be honest, I've been enjoying it as is so much that some days I wonder if I should really go ahead.

Then I browse AVS... heheh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Those two svs must rock! Being on the second floor I'm curious to what the bottom floor is like when you watch films haha

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Those two svs must rock! Being on the second floor I'm curious to what the bottom floor is like when you watch films haha

LOL!! Yes, the DO rock, quite hard actually.. right now watching Dream Theater - Live at Budokan BD.. totally awesome

Right below the theater area is the garage, so no one really cares.. I did go down there when I had Tron going , and it wasn't too bad.. you could hear some faint boom/knocking , but not much at all (I was surprised).

I guess the subdudes do work.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Hmm one thing I just realized, have you tried angling you L/R speakers? Towards your MLP?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #5 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Hmm one thing I just realized, have you tried angling you L/R speakers? Towards your MLP?

I have done that before, didn't hear a difference. Also, since there's multiple listening positions, it'd probably make things worse for those.

Good suggestion though.. I'll try it soon
post #6 of 6 Old 02-13-2012, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
What a great space. That's the kind of room I'm looking to create one day. Great job.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page