post #1 of 16 Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Apartment:

Electronics
-PS3 (fat)
-Denon AVR-1610 (No Audyssey - past roommate's dog ate the mic)
-M-Audio Fast Track USB Audio Interface
-Behringer ECM8000 Mic Calibrated from Cross Spectrum Labs

TV
-Pansonic TC-P55GT30

Speakers
-Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE (2)
-VA321 X-Omni (2)(Borrowing from Tesseracts - Big Thanks)
-DS1500 Rythmik Subwoofer Kit

Pictures and Measurements

Ascend Acoustics 340-SE

Only for movies

Subwoofer Placement Locations (Green to show best placement spot left of the TV). The unchecked marks are all from the right side.

Crossover - The dip around 53 Hz increases maybe due to the port from the speaker?

Left, Right speaker Measurement

Toe-In Difference. I tried placing the mic close to my ears location when seated. I should try spatially averaging the area in the future. I prefer listening with the speakers straight ahead.

Unsmoothed Frequency Response

Envelope Time Curve with speakers straight ahead.

Waterfall

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

Kyle Bosso - SOB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

VA321 X-Omni

Before I moved the sub

Ascend retest to see the difference in response to mic placement. I tried to put the mic in the same location.

Left, Right speaker Measurement

Toe-In Difference.

Unsmoothed Frequency Response

Envelope Time Curve with speakers straight ahead.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

Kyle Bosso - SOB

post #3 of 16 Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 262
So I like the idea you're going for and all but those speakers are kinda close aren't they? lol
post #4 of 16 Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

So I like the idea you're going for and all but those speakers are kinda close aren't they? lol

I've been comparing the Ascends with the X-Omnis the last two weeks. The Omnis need to be at least 3 feet from each wall. Even with this distance, the speakers still sounded off. The Omnis sound the best to me at this distance. I'm guessing the reflections off the tv and the entertainment center caused me to move these this close. The Ascends sound really good at this spot too. The biggest drawback is the smaller soundstage but the timbre and imaging are probably the second best I've had it out of the last 7 rooms (college kid). I plan on experimenting more with the Ascends after I finish my impression of the X-Omnis.

Kyle Bosso - SOB

post #5 of 16 Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Interesting. I appreciate the graphs, not too often members show just what is going on with their speakers.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well the upside is that you will also be be able to hear and enjoy it all at lower volumes. Apartment living is a rough thing to do when you have awesome equipment you want to really use.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

They appear to be staging an attack. It gives me recollections of some Twilight Zone episode where every time the person turned around, some frightful object got closer.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Agree - your speakers look very close. especially the surrounds. Any way you can back them off a bit. You may want to consider adding acoustic panels on your front walls to help with your mains. Be careful not to trip on the wires.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-20-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Agree - your speakers look very close. especially the surrounds. Any way you can back them off a bit. You may want to consider adding acoustic panels on your front walls to help with your mains. Be careful not to trip on the wires.

+1. Speakers seem to be too close. Moreover, I don't see a center speaker, and it's not even in your list. Any special reason not to add a center? (Hope past roommate's dog didn't eat it! )

Secondly, you should contact Denon Support and get a replacement mic, then run Audyssey. You will be amazed how the sound quality will improve in your room, especially in the bass department when set up is done proprerly.

You may also read the Audyssey setup guide and the related FAQ. Both are in my sig.

Have fun and enjoy!
post #10 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumaMMXII View Post

Well the upside is that you will also be be able to hear and enjoy it all at lower volumes. Apartment living is a rough thing to do when you have awesome equipment you want to really use.

I think we are watching movies at -22 dB and sometimes turn it down to -24 since we afraid of offending the neighbors. I am use to listening from -12.5 to -15 dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

They appear to be staging an attack. It gives me recollections of some Twilight Zone episode where every time the person turned around, some frightful object got closer.

Thanks for the warning . I fought these off and sent them back (one stand length and width to be precise). When would you like me to bankwire the rescue funds to your account ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

+1. Speakers seem to be too close. Moreover, I don't see a center speaker, and it's not even in your list. Any special reason not to add a center? (Hope past roommate's dog didn't eat it! )

Secondly, you should contact Denon Support and get a replacement mic, then run Audyssey. You will be amazed how the sound quality will improve in your room, especially in the bass department when set up is done proprerly.

You may also read the Audyssey setup guide and the related FAQ. Both are in my sig.

Have fun and enjoy!

The speakers were close since I wanted to leave with the best impression of the X-Omnis. The Ascends are monoploar while the X-Omnis are omnipolar. I was curious to hear the difference in the radiation pattern from the drivers. It is recommended for omnipolar speakers to be at least 3 feet from the walls (surfaces). I compared the Ascends and X-Omnis in the same spot since I did not want to put the apple in a basket and the orange in a bowl. I added the X-Omnis measurements. There is definitely more room interaction.

I have no center or surrounds (borrowing the surrounds) . I won't buy a center until I purchase my reference system (after buying house). I only have one shot to spend a couple thousand or otherwise the significant other will be upset .

The surrounds are close to subdue the reflections from the side walls and otherwise these would be in the way. Not much room in a one bedroom apartment. I level match these with the pillows on the floor. The pillows are usually on the couch for movies which reduces the level by about 2-3 dBs. The setup is not ideal but when sitting in the middle of the couch the surrounds add a nice subtle touch. I put the surrounds wires away after movies but the main speakers wires are useful for strengthening the hips flexors .

I don't plan on buying acoustic treatment until I plan on living in a place for a few years. What may look good in the dedicated theater may not match the theme for the living room years before the theater. I don't know the size of future rooms either. I would prefer to have all my corner bass traps the same style instead of buy some now and buy some later which may be a different style. I have only almost broke down and bought room treatments about 365 times the last year so must stay strong (huge difference with these). Room treatments and speaker kits are my weakness .

I think I will pass on Audyssey (for various reasons) until after I treat my room. It will be fun to see the difference in measurements from the various future rooms without EQ (maybe one PEQ down low).

I did move my speakers back as planned once I listened enough to both speakers (also took measurements). Just curious, can you describe what should happen by moving my main speakers back (the Ascends)?

Nice to meet you all . The comedy is appreciated.

Kyle Bosso - SOB

post #11 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Thanks for the warning . I fought these off and sent them back (one stand length and width to be precise). When would you like me to bankwire the rescue funds to your account ?

Sure, send the funds as soon as possible. Seems I'm having a little trouble with a transaction I had with a Nigerian prince
post #12 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I like how it's obvious you can do whatever you want in your room without worrying about getting hassled by a nagging wife. Ahhhh those were the days.... enjoy it.

Back when I lived in an apt. I couldn't even have my old Cerwin Vega sub on without getting complaints from the woman upstairs - who never, EVER, left home. I hope you have better neighbors!

How do you like your sub? Can you ever let it rip?
post #13 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

Sure, send the funds as soon as possible. Seems I'm having a little trouble with a transaction I had with a Nigerian prince

I wonder if we bought the same car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I like how it's obvious you can do whatever you want in your room without worrying about getting hassled by a nagging wife. Ahhhh those were the days.... enjoy it.

Back when I lived in an apt. I couldn't even have my old Cerwin Vega sub on without getting complaints from the woman upstairs - who never, EVER, left home. I hope you have better neighbors!

How do you like your sub? Can you ever let it rip?

The funny thing is that it is her apartment. She actually enjoys the speakers with the right station on pandora. I could probably up the speaker budget with some Mary Kay Pink speakers. She has mentioned that before. I'm still not sure if I should take her up for that.

I still live with three other roommates so I didn't have room for all this equipment and since I move next week into another temporary house for the summer.

She has not got any complaints but I assume that it because her neighbor always apologizes if he is too loud. I really like the sub. It is great for learning since there are so many options. It does have a unique lack of sound. I have a hard time to get it sound offensive. The only time I thought it sounded boomy was when I put it in a small room that was 8*10. Two of these would be enough for my output so I am not sure if I should have Salk or Funkywaves make me 2 (not black) or if I should build 4 more by myself since I now have a router.

Kyle Bosso - SOB

post #14 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved for the Ascend's current location

Kyle Bosso - SOB

post #15 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Very cool thread, kwarny. I am wondering if perhaps we should do this to the X-Omni's, if needed? Danny measured a difference.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90165.0

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #16 of 16 Old 05-25-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

Very cool thread, kwarny. I am wondering if perhaps we should do this to the X-Omni's, if needed? Danny measured a difference.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90165.0

Whoops, I forgot about this thead . I read that once and wondered what would change with the speakers actually built to specification. As of now, the 340-SE, Waf-1, and Sho-10 are probably more similar.

Kyle Bosso - SOB

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page