Carp's basement hide-out - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 244 Old 07-26-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 204
MKTheater has two DR200's stacked for each of his mains and two DR250's stacked for his center. Let's not let his current preference bias this listening event. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 244 Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Flight prices and schedule are not looking favorable for me for next weekend. frown.gif I'd still be interested in reading your opinions for sure though, espeically around the ed cinema and CHT pairs.

I'm thinking I really can't go wrong with the CHT in home trial to see how I like them for myself though?

I'm definitely interested in coming out for your next GTG in the KC area though - keep me posted and I can book in advance and save $$ !
post #93 of 244 Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Jonathan, we can start early for sure. I just put the 5 ish start time since I know most people have to work. I'm still on summer break and can take my girls to my mom's so I'm good to start whenever.
post #94 of 244 Old 07-26-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Flight prices and schedule are not looking favorable for me for next weekend. frown.gif I'd still be interested in reading your opinions for sure though, espeically around the ed cinema and CHT pairs.
I'm thinking I really can't go wrong with the CHT in home trial to see how I like them for myself though?
I'm definitely interested in coming out for your next GTG in the KC area though - keep me posted and I can book in advance and save $$ !

If you change you mind you are more than welcome to come down! I really think with speakers you have to hear them for yourself to make a decision like this. Subs not as much, but I think speaker preference is so much more dependent on taste. You are right though, you could just do the in home trial with CHT. I did that and had to pay the return shipping of course, but that is a lot cheaper than a plane ticket.

DD and Kwarny, great to hear you guys might be making the trip!
post #95 of 244 Old 07-26-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Gorila83,

I'm seeing $321 round trip from Southwest and about $325 from various airlines on cheaptickets.com

Didn't you say you were seeing $450ish before? Still not cheap either way, but $100 cheaper than a few days ago if I understood correctly.

My wife recently signed up for a southwest credit card which gave us two free southwest flights for a $69 yearly fee (non avoidable the first year, but cancellable the second) so that's an option depending on your opinion of credit cards. Two flights for $69 was fantastic -- we used them already to fly to PA last trip when I visited you. But if it doesn't work out this time - no big deal...It's likely we'll have another big g2g in KC in the future...you're welcome anytime.

http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/southwest/default

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #96 of 244 Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Thanks guys. I may have also met some resistance trying to take off work next Friday anyway.

Jonathan - not sure how you are getting those prices, hana. Every time I look it's 450plus. Oh well. I'd like to make it out there for the next GTG though! The credit card is a great idea though!

BTW - its looking like our GTG may be October 20th if either of you guys would want to come out. biggrin.gif
post #97 of 244 Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Just found this thread and saw Desertdomes post about the screen material so I guess I won't worry about bringing mine. I am actually considering buying that fabric from him anyway.

I am in for at least half of the day if need be. I can show up early afternoon. I can be available to move the OS if need be Thur night after 830.

I am considering purchasing the DR250's from Michael but it is a long shot. If I do, then I will be selling my Klipsch RF-83's and RC64 and RS62's. Anyone here interested? They are great speakers and I am not selling them because I don't like them. I am going to use an AT screen and I want to have a matching front row and they do not sell the RF-83 any longer and I can't find one used locally.

If we do the OS we need to get that hum figured out. It would be a bummer to go to all that effort and have the hum in the background.
post #98 of 244 Old 07-27-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

A cheater plug should disallow that hum.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #99 of 244 Old 07-27-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, we definitely need to try that.

Sheldon, I can't remember. Do you get hum when using the SubM on that 20 amp line? I can't remember under what circumstances the hum was introduced. Is there a way you can sort it out beforehand?
post #100 of 244 Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Confirmed: Chase Home Theater Sho10's will be in attendance as well - Compliments of HuskerOmaha's loan and DesertDome's delivery.

So now we are looking at

1. Elemental Designs Cinema 12
  2. JTR Triple Eight
  3. Bill Fitzmaurice DR250
  4. Chase Home Theater SHO10

There will be a bit of subwoofer playtime too perhaps with a jedimastergrant's JTR Orbit Shifter vs. carp's Dual Seaton Submersives.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #101 of 244 Old 07-28-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Yeah, we definitely need to try that.
Sheldon, I can't remember. Do you get hum when using the SubM on that 20 amp line? I can't remember under what circumstances the hum was introduced. Is there a way you can sort it out beforehand?

I seem to have hum issues whenever I am using an external amp for a sub(s) so I'm hoping we will be ok. The submersives are dead quiet.
post #102 of 244 Old 07-28-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok great.

Do you know anybody that can help us Thur after 830? I don't think the OS needs to end up taking any time away from the speaker listening. You will have most of Friday to do your own listening and comparison and anybody who wants to listen for themselves can show up before 5 or just stay later. But, I am not pushing it on anybody. It is a lot of hassle.
post #103 of 244 Old 07-28-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I plan on taking some time off on Friday. If it would work to move it friday early afternoon then I'm more game to help to save an extra drive over to KS.

Carp

For the blind testing do you think we ought to have some sort of frame built up to hide the speakers? When we were just doing two pair it made sense to just throw a piece of speaker cloth over both because you wouldn't know what's what. With four pair we might need a blind because of height differences and the need to swap out rather than just leave in place.

1x1 boards are are like $1.20 each at home depot for an 8ft piece. Six of those out to make a standing frame pretty easy. Do you have any interest or time to try to build a square blind for each side this week?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #104 of 244 Old 07-28-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I mentioned earlier that we can use the Center Stage XD screen and AT black backing I have to make a false wall in front of the speakers. These have actual acoustical measurements and don't impact the frequency response. With the black backing material, you could have the screen wall be about 12' wide and 7.5' high.

Use cheap 1x1's as the framing and put 2 pieces at the top to total 12' ft wide. Hold these up with two vertical pieces that are pressure fit between the floor and top piece(s). Add another horizontal piece where the top of the screen should be. You could also add another horizontal piece at the bottom of the screen area. I have three black pieces as shown below and the screen material. My side pieces are 19" wide by 9' tall and the top piece is the same width as the screen and 24" high.

The top and side pieces are going to be used in my living room in conjunction with my retractable screen to make a retractable screen wall and top mask.

post #105 of 244 Old 07-28-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My speakers are over 12 feet apart, the screen is 12' 3" wide.
post #106 of 244 Old 07-28-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Although if we use that screen for all the movie demo's we can just put all the speakers behind it, I think I get it now. redface.gifsmile.gif
post #107 of 244 Old 07-28-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

We just need to adjust our seating distance so we maintain a good stereo image for all positions. So if we are talking about putting the speakers closer together we need to move our seating distance closer to maintain the same angles.

And according to MKTheater's comparo thread the DR200's are fairly directional too. Maybe Michael knows what kind of dispersion pattern we can expect. I think they are more vertically challenged if I remember correctly.
post #108 of 244 Old 07-29-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Kwarmy said he was coming and is going to ride down with me. I will try to get off work early and leave by 2 pm so we can arrive by 5 pm.

The DR250's have a 15 degree dispersion above and below the tweeters with are arranged vertically along about 22 inches. Horizontally, they have uniform coverage out to about 90 degrees and can even be used up to 120 degrees. When two are stacked, the second one is tilted up from the first. This increases the tweeter array to about 44 inches so whether you sit, stand, or are on a platform the coverage is uniform. It is recommended that if just one is used in a HT setting that it be mounted a littler higher and tilted down toward the seating area. I'll bring my Subdudes wink.gif to set on the Submersives and then put the speakers on them.
post #109 of 244 Old 07-30-2012, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey carp I've got way too much stuff goin on this weekend and can't make it Friday. Totally sucks I was looking forward to hearing your submersives and the other speaker configurations and meeting the other avs fans. On the other hand, I'm down for letting the jtrs come play Friday. Maybe we can figure out a way to get them over there. I'm not sure where anybody lives but I can meet somebody or if I have to I can deliver them Thursday.
post #110 of 244 Old 07-30-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's a bummer, but I understand Chris. If I lived closer it would be easier for you to stop by for just a little while, but it's quite a drive if you can't stay long.

Thanks so much for offering the JTR's anyway - Jonathan doesn't live too far from you maybe you guys could work something out?
post #111 of 244 Old 07-30-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesprings1 View Post

Hey carp I've got way too much stuff goin on this weekend and can't make it Friday. Totally sucks I was looking forward to hearing your submersives and the other speaker configurations and meeting the other avs fans. On the other hand, I'm down for letting the jtrs come play Friday. Maybe we can figure out a way to get them over there. I'm not sure where anybody lives but I can meet somebody or if I have to I can deliver them Thursday.

party foul....

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #112 of 244 Old 07-30-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #113 of 244 Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just bought another pair of eD Cinema 6" bookshelf speakers so I can go to 7.1. I'm keeping the current placement of my mounted rears, they will now be rear surrounds instead of side surrounds. I temporarily set up the new speakers to my sides to see what placement I like best.

Initial impressions are that I should have had my surrounds closer to the side all along, that alone makes it better.

I am able to turn on and off my rear sourrounds with a press of a button and it is a noticeable change for both movies and music in a surround mode, and I like the sound more with the surround rears on - it's a more enveloping full sound.

As soon as my speaker brackets get here I'm going to go ahead and mount them on the wall. I wasn't sure if I would go 7.1 or not, but I do think it's enough of an upgrade to keep the speakers. Pictures to come when I get it all setup.
post #114 of 244 Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More impressions -

I watched some of my favorite movie scenes. This pretty much says it all, instead of watching a short scene and stopping like usual I found myself not being able to stop the blu-ray player. 7.1 really puts you in the movie, but like I said some of that is due to the fact that my side surrounds were further back on the side walls and now I have them right next to me and slightly behind (100 degrees roughly).

For movies I switched back and forth between turning off the rear surrounds and once again it's better with them on.

If 7.1 is a 100 percent improvement (it's not, just using that number to keep it easy) I would say having the side surrounds closer to directly to the side would be 70 percent of the improvement and having the rear surround speakers would be the final 30 percent.

I'm very glad I did this, my expectations were low and I've been pleasantly surprised.
post #115 of 244 Old 08-20-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 104
After a week or so with 7.1 you should briefly switch back to straight 5.1 and post your thoughts. I went to 7.1 a while back and now when I hear 5.1 it sounds like I have a giant black hole in the back of my room. Looks like you're a rock music guy so you may want to check this bluray out--it's one of the rare 7.1 music discs. I think it's pretty killer.

http://www.amazon.com/Satchurated-Live-Montreal-3D-Blu-ray/dp/B0071R43MG

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #116 of 244 Old 08-20-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

After a week or so with 7.1 you should briefly switch back to straight 5.1 and post your thoughts. I went to 7.1 a while back and now when I hear 5.1 it sounds like I have a giant black hole in the back of my room. Looks like you're a rock music guy so you may want to check this bluray out--it's one of the rare 7.1 music discs. I think it's pretty killer.
http://www.amazon.com/Satchurated-Live-Montreal-3D-Blu-ray/dp/B0071R43MG

Cool, thanks I'll have to get that. The only Satriani I have was a dvd concert of him, Vai, and Eric Johnson. I was most impressed with Satriani although all 3 were great. I know he taught Kirk Hammett how to play so I gotta love him for that (even though Kirk is way sloppy and nowhere near the talent of Joe, some of the solo's/melodies he wrote for Metallica are really beautiful like the solos on Fade To Black). Also the first Chickenfoot album is very solid IMO.

I don't need a week, a hole in the back of the room is exactly how I would describe it when I turn off the rear surrounds. Love it man, 7.1 is awesome, for music too.
post #117 of 244 Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

The only Satriani I have was a dvd concert of him, Vai, and Eric Johnson. I was most impressed with Satriani although all 3 were great.

Is the DVD you mention the "G3" tour? I caught the tour back in college with some buddies and we had a blast (I think rolleyes.gif). Kenny Wayne Shepard was the opening act. Queensryche and Dream Theater also have concert blus but you probably already have those.

What's your viewing distance and throw with the Epson, and have you had any problems with it? I've upgraded all electronics, speakers, and subs and the only thing left is a big ass projector and screen.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #118 of 244 Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Is the DVD you mention the "G3" tour? I caught the tour back in college with some buddies and we had a blast (I think rolleyes.gif). Kenny Wayne Shepard was the opening act. Queensryche and Dream Theater also have concert blus but you probably already have those.
What's your viewing distance and throw with the Epson, and have you had any problems with it? I've upgraded all electronics, speakers, and subs and the only thing left is a big ass projector and screen.

Yeah, it's one of the many G3 concerts, all kinds of guitarists have been on it but I believe Satriani and Vai are the mainstays. Yeah, I have a Queensryche concert disk and 4 or 5 Dream Theater Concert disks. Metallica has a lot of great concerts, the big 4 blu-ray with Anthrax, Medadeth and Slayer with Metallica is really good.

As far as my seating distance goes, I just moved up!! I was at 16.5 feet from the screen for a very long time, but I moved up to 14 feet from the screen. I moved for acoustic reasons but I found that I like the distance for viewing too.

My advice, get your projector first and use the wall so you'll know exactly how big of a screen you will want. Error on the side of bigger because down the road the projectors will get better.
post #119 of 244 Old 08-21-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the advice on PJ and screen size. I assume the pics from page 1 reflect the 16.5 feet distance, but it looks like even further than that (maybe it's because your room is pretty wide as well). I was considering a 16:9/106" but maybe I'll reconsider that and go bigger. Deciding on a PJ and screen is a heluva lot more complex than shopping for a plasma.

I'm really digging the Dream Theater bluray "Live at Budokan" but haven't had time to watch the Ryche "Mindcrime at the Moore" blu yet, and it sounds like I need to grab the Big 4 one as well. Those bands don't get enough love here on AVS smile.gif. I bumped into Scott Ian at the airport recently and was surprised to hear them paging "Scott Ian Rosenfeld." I was thinking how old he looked but remembered that those guys have been around for a long time.

post #120 of 244 Old 08-21-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Carp, I thought your 5.1 was one of the better 5.1 systems I have heard. It should sound very good as a 7.1 system. I've been at 7.1, 6.1, and now I'm at 5.1 and notice a big difference. I really couldn't tell a difference between 7.1 or 6.1. I've got everything I need for 7.1. I just need to find time to install the new speakers and hook everything up. I used up my "connection time" when I came down to KC. wink.gif

Regarding screen size - I sit 10-11' from a 126" 16:9 AT screen with my 720p projector. Since I have a pull down, I originally used a cheap 150" pull down to get a feel for how big I wanted to go. If I would have gone the "recommended" size for my distance and 720p I would have ended up a lot smaller. I really like the bigger screen size and it doesn't bother me at all for movies. I sat in my easy chair and watched a lot of the Olympics from one side and about 5 ft from the screen.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Elemental Designs , Seaton Sound Submersive H P , Pioneer Elite Vsx 53 Av Network Receiver 7 1 Channel 3d , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page