Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 244 Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Tried the 150Hz crossover for music....it really does let the Submersives shine.
post #183 of 244 Old 11-16-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Carp,

The stands look great. Very inventive - Nice work! I think I like your stands so much because of the fact that they look unique vs other stands out there. Between your work on mounting the new surrounds and these new stands, even with the lack of tools, you seem like a very handy guy cool.gif

That’s cool about the extra head room too with moving the SubMersives into that one corner. Do you notice any ill effects at all? Is it more easily localizable now? That’s one of the issues I have in my room, if I run the SubMersive more than 3-4dbs hot, in its current location, I can start to localize it. In some other locations, I can’t even run it 1-2db hot without localizing it. Have you tried measuring it yet just to ensure you dont have any dips in the response?

Thx,
Claude
post #184 of 244 Old 11-17-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Thanks Claude,

the only negative to having both subs in the same corner to my ears is that the frequency response isn't great in some of the seats other than the main LP. Here is the freq response in the main LP:

002-5.jpg

I know that nasty dip at 50hz looks bad, but I really can't tell. Here is the response from the right front corner and left front corner, you can tell they compliment each other pretty well.

003-8.jpg

The response is flatter running the subs separated, but it doesn't matter to me because I honestly can't tell the difference, that and I use the SMS-1 to play with the freq response all the time anyway.

As far as locating the subs, I'm lucky in this room. The bass isn't localized all the way up to a 150hz crossover. If I read that about someome else's room I would call BS but I'm telling you, in here you can't tell.
post #185 of 244 Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Carp - real easy solution. Order 2 more SM's in the right corner. biggrin.gif
post #186 of 244 Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Carp - real easy solution. Order 2 more SM's in the right corner. biggrin.gif

Better idea: put one in each corner. Lots of headroom and symmetrical!!!
post #187 of 244 Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

The response is flatter running the subs separated, but it doesn't matter to me because I honestly can't tell the difference, that and I use the SMS-1 to play with the freq response all the time anyway.
As far as locating the subs, I'm lucky in this room. The bass isn't localized all the way up to a 150hz crossover. If I read that about someome else's room I would call BS but I'm telling you, in here you can't tell.

That’s awesome!
I did some experimenting in my room too the past few weeks/months and I believe your statement about not localizing it even at 150Hz. It’s weird, if I move the SubMersive towards the left front of the room which opens to the rest of the house; it has a flatter response pre-EQ. Even with that flatter response, for some reason, I can localize it easier on that side of the room. I guess that kinda shows that there can be so many variables in our rooms, seating positions, sub locations, personal preference on how we perceive sound/bass. The main thing in the end is that you are happier with it compared to previous location. cool.gif
post #188 of 244 Old 12-23-2012, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New Noesis setup:

Drive way is steeper than this looks, it was quite treacherous getting them up the glacier and into the garage.

Out with the old, in with the new yet again.

Beautiful triplets.

Before stands arrived:

With stands:

post #189 of 244 Old 12-23-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
drooool

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #190 of 244 Old 12-23-2012, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I didn't see it mentioned, did you make the stands yourself? If so, great attention to detail. Those speakers look incredible, the room really has a theater look to it. Those horns look awesome. I love the "theater sound" they can give you, combined with the right gear.
post #191 of 244 Old 12-23-2012, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I didn't see it mentioned, did you make the stands yourself? If so, great attention to detail. Those speakers look incredible, the room really has a theater look to it. Those horns look awesome. I love the "theater sound" they can give you, combined with the right gear.

No, I have no such skills. I got them from JTR as well.

thanks for the compliments guys!

Kevin, didn't I see you post that you are going to have to buy some Noesis? Well, it may not have been worded that way... but that's what you were thinking - right? wink.gifsmile.gif
post #192 of 244 Old 12-23-2012, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ohhh Huntington Beach - birthplace of Slayer if I remember right. \m/
post #193 of 244 Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you considered either painting the wall outlets on that front wall or buying colored ones to make them a bit less conspicuous? I'm only asking because the way your front end looks now is pretty impressive but I just can't buy stare at the small white boxes under the screen. lol
post #194 of 244 Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Have you considered either painting the wall outlets on that front wall or buying colored ones to make them a bit less conspicuous? I'm only asking because the way your front end looks now is pretty impressive but I just can't buy stare at the small white boxes under the screen. lol

Haha, a friend and avs member Archaea was over here the other night and I joked to him that I might finally paint or change them out not because it bothers me but because all the suggestions on the forum that I need to do it.

It's weird that I don't notice them and they don't bother me, but yeah I do have that on the list of things I want to eventually take care of. A few years ago I had the basement refinished and if I had it to do over again I would have had all the outlets/plates removed.
post #195 of 244 Old 12-23-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

lol well you don't need to if you don't want to but it's just something I notice because I'm a stickler for details like that. Call it my AV-OCD. tongue.gif
post #196 of 244 Old 12-24-2012, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe a silly question but I wonder how the Noesis or even the T12s sound like when compared to a Klipsch THX Ultra system? (Back when I first got in home theater those were my dream speakers, now it seems as if the dream speakers are either Triad Plats or Noesis now)

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #197 of 244 Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Carp, enjoy the new speakers and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays! Crank it up a time or two, remember your speakers need love too!
post #198 of 244 Old 12-24-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I have no such skills. I got them from JTR as well.
thanks for the compliments guys!
Kevin, didn't I see you post that you are going to have to buy some Noesis? Well, it may not have been worded that way... but that's what you were thinking - right? wink.gifsmile.gif

Currently negotiating with the significant other about getting Noesis, can't come to terms yet...working on it though.

post #199 of 244 Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I'm just dropping in to say I was over at carp's last night and thought the Noesis presented an absolutely incredible front soundstage, both cosmetically and more importantly in jaw dropping, grin inducing sound.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #200 of 244 Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Not only does your set-up look great but you also take great pictures. Nice stuff!!!
post #201 of 244 Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've had the dual opposed Dayton's in my room for the past few days so it's been a lot of fun comparing the 2 and last night I had the KC boys over, 6 of us I believe, and we tested the the subs back and forth. Sound quality to me is almost identical, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the Submersive and the Dayton. Peak output is also close with an edge to the Dayton, it was neck and neck all night until the x men first class beach/shot in the back scene. For the first time I heard bad sounds from the Submersive on that scene. I didn't even know that was possible...

Then we ran the Dayton and it didn't have any bad sounds and had an obvious output advantage since it wasn't compressing like the Submersive.

We went CRAZY with the Noesis last night. My pioneer goes to +12 over reference and I went there a few times, we could have gone much louder since the individual speaker volume is set at -12 (ranges from -12 to +12) but it was already dangerous where we were.

The Noesis laughed at that volume. I don't know what the limit is on these speakers, but I'm never going to find it. There wasn't a trace of air coming out of the ports even at +12. I can't imagine running these with an amp.

For the x-men scene the master volume was 5 under reference with the subs set to 12 db hot.

I'm kind of hesitant to post the comparison since I'm selling a Submersive, but oh well.

I'm impressed with both subs. I'm impressed with the Dayton's for the obvious reason of how cheap they are, but I'm also impressed that a Submersive can go toe to toe with a sub this large and not get knocked out (well, more like knocked down) until the 12 round.

post #202 of 244 Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have a TON of curves saved, I'm not sure this is the right one. I thought the levels were more spot on than this, so Kevin if you see this let me know if this is the wrong comparison.

The SMS-1 was set to no eq for this. Also, I think I'm done with the sms-1. When we took it out of the chain we were getting 8 more db's than before on the same settings (we level matched the subs/speakers again after removing the sms-1). It neutered the crap out of the subs.
post #203 of 244 Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh, I tripped a breaker for the first time EVER last night. Sucks, I was hoping to not have to worry about having dedicated lines run.

We were at +12 with all 3 subs going over 10 hot though... not sure I'll need to mess with dedicated lines...

Good lord, the gun shots on open range played over reference were insane... and I had ear plugs in!! tongue.gif

Scott Pilgrim vs the world has insane bass.

I ruined part of my carpet trying to clean up my spilled drink. I thought I was using the spray bottle of dog mess cleaner, but I grabbed the bottle that has bleach. Nice. Wife thinks I'm an idiot... she's not wrong.

Guys, we went way more nuts on the alcohol last night. biggrin.gif That was a lot of bottles and cans, haha. smile.gif

Ok, enough random thoughts.
post #204 of 244 Old 12-30-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish I could have a little fun with those subs...

post #205 of 244 Old 12-30-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Hi Carp,

As I'm sure you know, if you tripped the breaker you were prob pulling. 130%ish of what your line can provide without voltage drop. Therefore, even if you don't trip the breaker again your prob starving the power supplies of your components.

I'll bet you'd see a SQ upgrade with even one dedicated line if you actually tripped the BREAKER!!! wink.gif
post #206 of 244 Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Hi Carp,
As I'm sure you know, if you tripped the breaker you were prob pulling. 130%ish of what your line can provide without voltage drop. Therefore, even if you don't trip the breaker again your prob starving the power supplies of your components.
I'll bet you'd see a SQ upgrade with even one dedicated line if you actually tripped the BREAKER!!! wink.gif

Thanks, I didn't know that actually.

My components are all on a different line, so only the subs were affected.
post #207 of 244 Old 12-30-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Hi Carp,

Thanks, I didn't know that actually.

My components are all on a different line, so only the subs were affected.

Haha, worse than i thought! You tripped the line with JUST the subs!!! Sweet.

Nice room BTW im sure those mains will set you back in your chair "Blown Away" style!....
post #208 of 244 Old 12-30-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Had a great time last night. Thanks for having us over. biggrin.gif

Man your room and setup gets better every time I visit. Those Noesis are just freakin sweet and look great on the custom stands. Can't wait to see what we break or blow up when you are rocking 8 18". cool.gif
post #209 of 244 Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I don't think his walls are long for this world. That back wall was flexing unbelievably last night! Sorta like this truck at 45 seconds in. tongue.gif

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #210 of 244 Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 159

Carp, those speakers on friggin' intoxicating....wow. Congrats!

Those daytons seem like the real deal. Do you guys have any graphs of what the below 20hz looked like? Based on Josh's measurements, they should measure pretty good...

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Elemental Designs , Seaton Sound Submersive H P , Pioneer Elite Vsx 53 Av Network Receiver 7 1 Channel 3d , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page