My current set up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-15-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and trying to get started setting up my equipment in a townhouse that we are about to purchase. I will be doing a lot of repair/modifications to the townhouse prior to moving in, and wanted to take advantage of this time to get the wiring installed in the house before we actually move in. I am not sure what my budget will be, since this is the lowest priority for my wife. That is until it is set up or course, then she will love it. :-) probably around $1-2k initially, and then slowly add to it.

My plan is to have a closet in the basement for most of the equipment, and feed the house from there. I would like to have a control panel on each level of the townhouse (3 levels). I also want to be able to view the video from the camera from the TV and android device. My wife would like to have an MP3/ipod input from the upper levels of the townhouse.

I am trying to learn as I go, but do have some basic knowledge. I am handy and like to do as much my self as I can. Any advice and links for good information is greatly appreciated. I listed the current equipment that I have below, as well as some questions.

Thanks for any advice.

Current Equipment:
Closet:
Rcvr: Yamaha RX-V2500
Cable: FIOS - MotorolaHD DVR QIP 7216 & HD box
Game Console:PS3, PS2 and Wii
TV Computer: Lenovo - Windows 7 64bit system
NAS: Dlink share center 2 TB harddrive

Basement:
TV: Panasonic TC-P55GT30 (plasma)
Spkr: Klipsch Quartets
Spkr: Klipsch Quintet (surround sound)
SUB: RCA PRO-SW100P

Main level:
TV: Samsung HL-P5063W (DLP)
Spkr: ceiling mount (not sure of brand/model, getting from in-laws)

Master Bedroom:
TV: Samsung 32 (plasma)
Spkr: ceiling mount (not sure of brand/model, getting from in-laws)

Control devices:
Tablet: HP Touchpad - running on WebOS & Android ICS
Remote: RC-5000

Goals:
Home Automation:
1. alarm sensors on doors and windows
2. security cameras in basement, baby's bedroom and front door
3. light control through out the house
4. thermostat control
5. two or three wall/tabletop controllers
6. android/computer controlled

Audio/Video:
Create a three zone setup using the Yamaha Receiver
1. Theatre in Basement
2. TV with Ceiling mount speakers in Kitchen with additional ceiling mounted Speakers in Living Room
3. TV in master with ceiling mounted speakers

Questions:
If the receiver is located in the basement, what is the best way to out put to the rooms upstairs? What kind of cables?
I want to be able to control the receiver from my android device as well as computer. How do I get it connected with the network? It does have an RS-232 connection.
What software/hardware is recommended for controlling my equipment as well as Automation?
Is it possible to feed all three TV's from the two verizon boxes?
What am I forgetting to about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-22-2012, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludvball View Post

I want to be able to control the receiver from my android device as well as computer. How do I get it connected with the network? It does have an RS-232 connection.
I guess the only way is to use an IR blaster. You just hook it up to your server (either by RS232 or USB - both are available) and control it vie Girder under Win or LIRC under Linux. Depends if/how well you feel yourself in scripting. It's not too hard to make the blaster controllable over web if you have coding skills. But I guess there should be some software (free and paid) out there that have done it. Maybe even with an Android app?

The other and maybe not a bad option is upgrade your AVR. Denon's xx12 and xx13 models are a popular choice and most of them have network connectivity. Prices start from 200-300$ I think.
Quote:

What software/hardware is recommended for controlling my equipment as well as Automation?
As far as I have looked around (not too deeply) the automation stuff is very personal and there ain't any out of the box solutions that work for every case. It seems that you have to do it yourself if you want it your way. But then again, I'm an opensource fan all the way and I'm not really looking into commercial stuff....
Quote:

Is it possible to feed all three TV's from the two verizon boxes?
Depends if you want all the 3 TV's to be used same time and look at different channels? Usually you are not watching the TV same time in bedroom and livingroom. If thats the case then you just need a HDMI switch so you can redirect the 2 individual video sources to those 2 TV's that are currently used. An IR repeater has to be used to control the switch and the Verizon boxes (but you probably have the plaster in place already if the gear is in basement).
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page