Aldiallo's Livingroom HT setup - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 55 Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sorry for the delay but the wife has been keeping me quite busy during my holidays! mad.gif

Here's a pic taken with my phone so please forgive me for the bad quality, I'll post better ones as soon as I get some free time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

hi guys,

just wanted to post a few pics of my previous setups:

You can see on the third picture on the right my second projector an old Mitshubishi HC900 my first one being an Infocus 4805 which I need to find the pics of the that setup as it was on a previous appartement. I actually left the HT scene to focus only on Stéréo and now I'm trying to be back to both.

God I miss those 927Be with that Beryllium tweeter!! frown.gif
post #33 of 55 Old 10-23-2012, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Greetings Al....that old setup in the first pic looks like a great stereo experience. I hope those 927be's found a good home man. I still cant get over how classy your current tv/av stand is in the pic above. The best part is the wide, flat neck that leads to the tv mounting section.

The Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The System:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #34 of 55 Old 10-23-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Nice setup and pics. I had the Krell Showcase and the 927be speakers. The Krell was replaced with a Parasound Halo C2 which was then replaced with an Integra 80.2. The 927be's were replaced with 1027be's. I am sure your newer speakers sound great. How do you KEF speakers compare to the 927's. I have never heard KEF speakers. If you are looking for a little unsolicited advice I will give you some smile.gif. It looks like you have your speakers pushed way back towards the wall and that the wall unit is between the speakers. Whether in this room or if you are moving to a different room, I recommend that you pull your speakers forward so there is nothing in between them Or at least far enough out so that at least half the speaker is in front of the wall unit but the further out the better, You should be amazed at the difference, All of a sudden you should get this great sound stage that is right in front of you. It should really improve how your speakers sound. It did for me when I did it with my 927's. I could not believe the change. Just give it a try if you can. If you are a music guy, you should really enjoy the change.

P.S I just got back from Paris about two weeks ago. My second time there and I loved it biggrin.gif. Enjoy that system.

It ain't easy being green.

post #35 of 55 Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

The 927Be expirience was great, I still love those speakers, actually it turn out that my original setup was base on Focal's Chorus which is the basic range, I then got the opportunity on the 927Be so decided to split my config in two, 927Be for the stereo and b&w vm1 for the HT with a velodyne CHT8 sub, all driven by a A965 Sherwood amplifier and a Harman Kardon Signature 1.0 analog processor., so it was 5.1 for the HT and the 2 remaining channel of the A965 were dedicated to the stereo, I also had a lcd screen for tv and the Infocus 4805 and a manual screen for the HT and then divorce came by and only the 927be remained home!biggrin.gif so as I got an oppotunnity on the Krell gear I took my chance an boy it was worth it only thing is that it was only stereo but I have a big preference for music so it was not a big sacrifice.

Mike,

The only thing that Kef's do better than the 927 it's their bass capabilities, so their perfom better in HT but in Stereo the 927 perfomed way better. imho!
post #36 of 55 Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Happy New Year to you all!

The first upcoming upgrade of this year will surely be done in the next few days.

After running on a 4.1 setup for quite a while, a center speaker will be making it's way home by the end of this week at the latest.

My system is running with a Kef IQ setup but Kef having stopped the IQ series and the IQ60C center speaker not being a great center speaker I've decided to go with the new Q series, and take the Q600C.

2 other upgrades will be done this year, a second sub and a projector, not sure which one will be done first but they'll be done one way or the other. wink.gif
post #37 of 55 Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Happy New Year, Al! Now that's a great addition to the system...the Q series is a serious series from KEF! Any pics of that beauty? Still considering JVC for your projector? It'll definitely be a better experience as opposed to the previous Infocus. Have you already decided which sub shall have the honor of gracing your system?

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #38 of 55 Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thnaks Matt, same to you buddy,

As a matter of fact I do Sir, here you go, but I'll need to make some other ones during daylight an without the speaker's cache:

For the Projector, JVC has the lead but I'm still going out for demos to make sure I make the good choice, if a find a used one at a good price, I'll go for it for the time being in order to save some extra cash and get a better one a year or 2 from now as I'm already thinking 4K! cool.gif

Now concerning the sub, my best bet will go down to Velodyne DD+ series as from what I'm able to get here in France, they're by far the best, I can make a quick trip to Brussels as I belive I can find the JL Audio Phantoms F112 over there and they less expensve than the DD+ series........ah, decisions, decision....you know what I'm talking about!!biggrin.gif
post #39 of 55 Old 01-02-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking very nice! Nice veneer! Can't go wrong with JL audio, although I think that the line is the Fathom line, unless they are called Phantoms in the European market (certainly possible.) I can warn you...jvc is great for 2D....but for 3D, mercy!!! Not their strong suit! Lol...I think the BenQ7000 is the 3D king, but the JVC's have a better 2D picture.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #40 of 55 Old 01-03-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Looking very nice! Nice veneer! Can't go wrong with JL audio, although I think that the line is the Fathom line, unless they are called Phantoms in the European market (certainly possible.) I can warn you...jvc is great for 2D....but for 3D, mercy!!! Not their strong suit! Lol...I think the BenQ7000 is the 3D king, but the JVC's have a better 2D picture.

Hi Matt,

You' absolutely right, it's the fathom line, not sure why I was convience it was phantom but anyway we'll see which one I go for when the time comes. Concerning the projector as I'm not a big fan of 3D that's not really a problem!!wink.gif
post #41 of 55 Old 01-03-2013, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Here you have some picture of the Q600 without it's cache:

post #42 of 55 Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

My word......now that's an attractive front baffle! Great buy! It's quite large too, which--of course--makes it even Better! I'm loving the tangerine wave guide!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #43 of 55 Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words mate! Still a long way to go to achive my goal, but the travel is what counts! Hehe
post #44 of 55 Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Greetings Gents,

After having shaked the boum boum of the new center speaker with a few movies and concerts, I'm quite happy with the results, (How did I lived that lond without it??? eek.gif )

Anyway after considering getting the projector I'll push this upgrade a little further down the road as I've decided to bring some extra equipment into the install in order to bring a little more improvement (Brolic style cool.gif ) biggrin.gif.

3 main things will come and they are:

- Subwoofer replacement and upgrade to 2 subs

- Audyssey pro calibration Kit

- DVDO Iscan Duo Scaler ( in preparation of the arrival of the projector)

- Replacement of my philips pronto controlling device by a crestron solution
post #45 of 55 Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo View Post

Greetings Gents,

After having shaked the boum boum of the new center speaker with a few movies and concerts, I'm quite happy with the results, (How did I lived that lond without it??? eek.gif )

Anyway after considering getting the projector I'll push this upgrade a little further down the road as I've decided to bring some extra equipment into the install in order to bring a little more improvement (Brolic style cool.gif ) biggrin.gif.

3 main things will come and they are:

- Subwoofer replacement and upgrade to 2 subs

- Audyssey pro calibration Kit

- DVDO Iscan Duo Scaler ( in preparation of the arrival of the projector)

- Replacement of my philips pronto controlling device by a crestron solution

Lol @ Brolic style! Lolol. Those are some very important upgrade categories. I smell JL Fathoms in your future...or, if your wife will allow for tbe size, a Submersive or two!

Crestron is seeeerious! I like their limitless possibilities, But the learning curve for folks like us AVS members who change and replace otems frequently is pretty steep. Well worth the investment though!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #46 of 55 Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

My word......now that's an attractive front baffle!

I agree it looks very nice.

Frank

post #47 of 55 Old 01-12-2013, 06:43 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Thnaks Matt, same to you buddy,

As a matter of fact I do Sir, here you go, but I'll need to make some other ones during daylight an without the speaker's cache:

For the Projector, JVC has the lead but I'm still going out for demos to make sure I make the good choice, if a find a used one at a good price, I'll go for it for the time being in order to save some extra cash and get a better one a year or 2 from now as I'm already thinking 4K! cool.gif

Now concerning the sub, my best bet will go down to Velodyne DD+ series as from what I'm able to get here in France, they're by far the best, I can make a quick trip to Brussels as I belive I can find the JL Audio Phantoms F112 over there and they less expensve than the DD+ series........ah, decisions, decision....you know what I'm talking about!!biggrin.gif

Actually the name Phantoms is quite good, smile.gif Being an owner of the fathoms, they're impressive for there size and if you have a medium to small room they do there job quite well ( sealed room even better). Velodyne is awesome as well, either way have a listen between the two of them whatever choice you make im sure you will be happy.

Frank

post #48 of 55 Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Matt, Franck,

I must admit that I'll love to try the Fathom in my room or get a demo but I can't see that happening as they're not imported in France as far as I'm aware so I'll have to stick to Velodyne as they're quite simple to find here.

I've found that they have them in Belgium but so far I've only seen the F110 available up there and I 'll like to have 12" not 10" as I'm thinking of my future dedicated room. I don't know what the price for the fathoms/velodyne in the US or in the land down under but in belgium we're talking about 2690€ for a 10" no idea of the rretail price for the 12", the velodyne are even more expensive as in France for the DD+ range we're talking about 4390€ for a 12".

That cost is the main reason why I'll prefer to find a second hand one and I think I'll be able to find something to start with easily.
post #49 of 55 Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 AM
CIH USER

You can't go wrong with Velodyne their nice subs

Frank

post #50 of 55 Old 01-15-2013, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

You can't go wrong with Velodyne their nice subs
Thanks Frank, I must say that they are indeed, my first sub back in 2004 was Velodyne and I was very pleased with it.

I forgot to mention that I'm also looking to install a new NAS with 8 4To disks to have my movie streamed via my Dune player.

Mate, I just read that there's a heat wave in the land down under, how is it going for you??
post #51 of 55 Old 01-15-2013, 03:44 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

I forgot to mention that I'm also looking to install a new NAS with 8 4To disks to have my movie streamed via my Dune player.

Mate, I just read that there's a heat wave in the land down under, how is it going for you??

You will able to store a lot of movies in that smile.gif

The heat wave annoying me very humid which is not good.

Frank

post #52 of 55 Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Great to see those KEF's. That is a very nice system. I am sure with those upgrades you have listed, it will only improve what you have. Good luck on the sub hunt.

It ain't easy being green.

post #53 of 55 Old 12-13-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Greetings, just updating the first page as some small things have change on my setup, like the replacement of the Kef IQ30 by Kef Q800DS, the replacement of the Wii by a Wii U and the addition of an Xbox One (chilling with Forza 5 and shortly with NBA2K14! cool.gif ) the removal of the Crystalio scaler (currently using the one integrated to the Onkyo processor), and some interconnect changes.

Addition of a Mac mini late 2012 running Windows Home Server 2K11 with the My Movies addon to deal with the dvd and BR ripping aswell as the collection management with the help of a Synology 2413+ NAS upgraded to 4Go of Ram currently with 4 * 4To drives and extra 4 coming in after Christmas.

Yes, going digital all the way.smile.gif

Now, with what happened with Velodyne, I'm looking for something else unless I get a good price on a used one but if I ever get an issue with it, I'll be probably I trouble; now, the good news seems to be that France is starting to import the JL Audio Phamton series, so might be going down that road.

I've stop looking for a projector and thinking more and more about a simple TV upgrade moving from 50" to a 4K 65" screen at least until we buy an appartement or even better, a house!! smile.gif

Alos looking to replace the all mighty but not so young Pronto with a ip2IR/RS232 and IP soloution to control everything via an ipad, I'm currently looking at Iviewer and also thanks to Brolicbeast, I'm also considering Irule.biggrin.gif
post #54 of 55 Old 12-13-2013, 11:30 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Greetings, just updating the first page as some small things have change on my setup, like the replacement of the Kef IQ30 by Kef Q800DS, the replacement of the Wii by a Wii U and the addition of an Xbox One (chilling with Forza 5 and shortly with NBA2K14! cool.gif ) the removal of the Crystalio scaler (currently using the one integrated to the Onkyo processor), and some interconnect changes.

Addition of a Mac mini late 2012 running Windows Home Server 2K11 with the My Movies addon to deal with the dvd and BR ripping aswell as the collection management with the help of a Synology 2413+ NAS upgraded to 4Go of Ram currently with 4 * 4To drives and extra 4 coming in after Christmas.

Yes, going digital all the way.smile.gif

Now, with what happened with Velodyne, I'm looking for something else unless I get a good price on a used one but if I ever get an issue with it, I'll be probably I trouble; now, the good news seems to be that France is starting to import the JL Audio Phamton series, so might be going down that road.

I've stop looking for a projector and thinking more and more about a simple TV upgrade moving from 50" to a 4K 65" screen at least until we buy an appartement or even better, a house!! smile.gif

I am also looking to replace the all mighty but not so young Pronto with a ip2IR/RS232 and IP soloution to control everything via an ipad, I'm currently looking at Iviewer and also thanks to Brolicbeast, I'm also considering Irule.biggrin.gif

hi aldiallo,

I am also looking into irule to replace my aging pronto (my wife also hates it). My problem is I don't want to loose any of the 2way feedback I have now with the pronto. Even though the pronto is old and a pain to program. Once you get it right, it really does do everything. Most of my components are connected to my network, but none of them except for maybe my htpc have ip codes to control them. There are apps that can control my hopper but I don't know if you can link them into your irule configuration. I would hate to have to jump back and forth between apps to control everything. Have you come across any of these issues?

post #55 of 55 Old 12-13-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Ejusted,

No I haven't, all my gear can be controlled either by IP, IR or RS-232 but I'm only starting to get my hands into both options so it might be that I'll come across an issue once i get futher down the road but nothing so far.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player , Official Microsoft Xbox 360 Slim Power Supply Ac Adapter Bulk Packaging , Dune Hd Tv303d Wifi 3d Streamer , Onkyo Prsc5509 9 2 Channel 3d Ready Preamplifier , Lg 50pk550c 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Kef Iq90bl Floor Standing Speaker Single Black , Kef Q800dsch Dipole Speaker Pair Cherry , Kef Q600cwa Center Channel Speaker Walnut

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page