My Loft Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been an AVS Forums member for over a decade, and have gone through a bunch of iterations of gear. Now that I own my own place, I finally went ahead and did a "proper" setup (with the help of a great local installer) in my loft.

The ceilings are 16.5 feet, with windows that are over 11 feet. I had a dual shade system installed to handle privacy and light. The front shades, visible in the photos, are solar shades. Behind those are a second set of shades which are full blackout and slide in side tracks for full light control for the projector (and sleeping, it's all one open space to the bedroom in the upstairs area). As you can imagine, with windows this big the cost was absurd. I had wanted to do a motorized shade system, but the cost was an additional $6000 and I had to say "Umm, no thanks, I can pull the cords" smile.gif

Additionally, DJ'ing is my passion, so up on the ceiling are mounted 4 moving yoke lights and an LED array. I had switched outlets installed for all the lighting at the same time I had the projector power and signal cables installed, all in conduit to match the existing aesthetic. The entire lighting rig is fully DMX and is all programmed with Martin's LightJockey 2 club lighting software (controllable via my iPad, of course!). The last installation I had done was having the pendant ball lighting, for regular ambient lighting installed.

During the install process I decide to forgo the installation of a motorized screen, as it would have been impossible to hide the box for the screen, and the nice looking screen box units were far too expensive. We went with a high contrast screen paint, and the result is quite good. The screen is a bit "high up", but it's actually very comfortable to watch, given you are either lying on the couch, or sitting in the chaise which is angled up nicely. It's very comfy. I wanted to retain the LCD TV for daytime viewing (when I don't want to close the shades and sit in the dark).

The home theater cabinet pictured is jam packed with gear. It's made by BDI, and houses my AV gear as well as my home networking gear, and some of the gear for the lighting, as well as a Mac Mini for various purposes.

Equipment Used is as follows:
  • Denon 3808 Receiver
  • Orb Audio Speakers - 2 spheres per main speaker and surround speaker, 4 spheres for the center (hidden in the cabinet), 10" subwoofer
  • Epson 8700 UB Projector, 2 HDMI runs over cat6-e using HDMI to IP over Ethernet Baluns, plus an IR control run.
  • Samsung 46" LED TV
  • Tivo Premier XL
  • URC MX-880 Universal Remote with RF base station and IR flashers to every device
  • Sony PS3 for games and blue ray
  • Apple Mac Mini Home Theater PC
  • Apple TV 3
  • Various Insteon devices controlled by an ISY-99 box

/Ry

View of the Living Area with screen:

Looking back from screen:

Setup in the bedroom loft area, 26" Samsung TV, Bose Cinemate GS for audio. The system works well for a bedroom, I have plenty of screen downstairs smile.gif
HT3.jpg

Inside the walk-in closet, Tivo and HDMI switch, along with a Mac Mini and Apple TV, all in here to hide everything from site:
HT2.jpg

The projector connections. There was no room to store and hide any of the gear, so neatness was paramount.
2 HDMI over Cat-6 (IP based) baluns, and IR flasher.
HT4.jpg

Inside the BDI, left side. Receiver, Tivo, and URC remote base station:
HT5.jpg

In the BDI, right side. Mac Mini, Apple TV, a Blueray burner (for ripping, burning as needed), the drobo for about 5TB of whole house server storage, my cordless phone, and a PS3 on the bottom:
HT6.jpg

In the center of the BDI. The cable modem, router, ISY 99, 2 Ethernet Switches, some DMX conversion gear (I use ArtNet for lighting for the DJ gear), PS3 IR to bluetooth converter.
HT7.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 199
That's awesome I can see you throwing a party, music video playing on the big screen it looks fantastic.

Frank

post #3 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

That's awesome I can see you throwing a party, music video playing on the big screen it looks fantastic.

Here it is, all up and running:
post #4 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 03:27 PM

Liked: 17
You have a stylish and beautiful looking home and i love your setup.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you smile.gif
post #6 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 05:42 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan0751 View Post

Here it is, all up and running:

Ryan that looked awesome well done. smile.gif

Frank

post #7 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 06:03 PM

Liked: 16
very cool!. Start charging your friends when they come and party smile.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

I added some more pictures, focusing on the gear. This is AVS Forums afterall smile.gif
post #9 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 08:09 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Thanks for the update.

First, fascinating room. My wife and I lived in a similarly very high ceiling, renovated,... late 1800's school-house in the mid to late 80's, and your pics bring back some fond memories.

A few questions; How's the thermal management of the gear in the cabinets? Do you have neighbors? Any details on your subwoofage,..or due to neighbors, is the subwoofage kept to a minimum? What's your next plans for any upgrades? Any consideration given toward acoustic treatment? I really dig the space, but man it just appears to be screaming for some attention acoustically.

Thanks for sharing.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #10 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Thanks for the update.
First, fascinating room. My wife and I lived in a similarly very high ceiling, renovated,... late 1800's school-house in the mid to late 80's, and your pics bring back some fond memories.
A few questions; How's the thermal management of the gear in the cabinets? Do you have neighbors? Any details on your subwoofage,..or due to neighbors, is the subwoofage kept to a minimum? What's your next plans for any upgrades? Any consideration given toward acoustic treatment? I really dig the space, but man it just appears to be screaming for some attention acoustically.
Thanks for sharing.

As for heat, the BDI cabinets are really well designed. The bottom panel is well slotted, as are the back panels, which are removable to access the gear. I ended up buying two of these kits:

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556082224.html

And installing one in the center of each panel. They have thermostatic control, it seems to help keep things nice and cool.

As for the subwoofer, I keep it too a minimum. A little goes a LONG way in this space. I do have neighbors on either side, and it's not a problem, but then I don't blare movies or music all the time either.

I had thought about having Quiet Rock installed, but ended up not doing it. My neighbor (unfortunately not the one next door) had it done, and spent nearly $10,000 for one wall. I decided against it. Supposedly the walls are staggered stud, with rock wool insulation, and over the studs is a layer of plywood, then the drywall (because of the height). They block most noise, but sometimes you can hear weird things. I think the walls don't seal to the original ceiling.

The building used to house a manufacturer of high speed printing presses. The floor boards for my ceiling and the floor above are massive, over 3" thick! I don't hear the people upstairs at all.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 AM

Liked: 10
I am so glad I found your post. This loft setup is amazing. You mentioned connecting the DMX to Ethernet, and I wondered if you could share some details with me on that.
I'm also trying to control some DMX lights and RGB LED lights, using the ISY99... I've seen some boxes like DMX Over Ethernet from ShowJockey and such but not sure what to get. Since your setup is tested, I hoped to follow by your example.

Thank you,
Michael K
post #12 of 14 Old 05-29-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

I use an Enttec ODE to convert Art-Net (IP based DMX-like protocol), to the actual DMX output:

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70305&show=description

You might be able to get the ISY to trigger a script to do the ArtNet piece. I actually haven't used that, I use the ISY-99i to turn on (power) my DMX fixtures, but control is totally separate.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
You really made the most of that space and the installation turned out great.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thats a cool loft, it's cool how it used to be a warehouse at one time, you have hooked up all the conveniences at your disposal, got to love having your music and theatre connectivity done right.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page