Where to begin with my new home theatre? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys, new to the forum and new to all this home theater stuff so I need your help. We have just purchased a new home that has a room with approx size (havent measured yet) of 12 feet by 15 feet. I have absolutely no idea about all this stuff and find it a bit overwhelming. What I have decided so far is the Runco LS1 series projector and Paradigm speakers. What Im trying to do is set up the best system and I can without draining the bank account. I was at a dealer yesterday and they had the Runco LS5 series and Focal speakers with Denon amp etc and the total cost was about 20k. Since I know nothing about this stuff I know it is easy for them to take advantage of me. eek.gif So in saying that I would like to try and stay around the 15k mark install included. Any ideas on what you would do with the LS1 to make it a very nice system again without killing the bank?? I would like to walk in to a dealer with a list showing everything I want. Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm afraid I can't help you, my HT over the years probably cost less than $3000, but a few of the items were free. I think you would have a better chance getting info about the type of projector system you want over on the projector threads. My feeling is this thread was more for showing off what you already have. So did you purchase anything since your post? If you did you ought to show it off.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I would focus on the room design/ configuration first, and then the gear. So you already have the LS-1?
post #4 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 366
$20k is a swell budget. But before buying any gear, think about what sort of performance you want to achieve.

1) Sound quality is not just the gear but the room/acoustics too. Is this a dedicated space or a family room? Either way, room treatments will help immensely. It does not have to intrude into the aesthetics if that is an issue.

2) Do you require the room to be somewhat immune to noise intrusion from other rooms? Do you desire that the AV system does not disturb other rooms? These issues may suggest taking steps to isolate the sound, and that's a totally separate matter from the acoustics.

3) How many seats do you require? 12' wide is good for 3 seats, 15' deep is very tough to fit more than one row. Especially if recliners are involved. If a second row is desired, do you plan a riser?

4) Is sound quality important beyond the main listening position (MLP)? If so, that may further impact seating locations, number/placement of surrounds, and number/placement of subwoofers. I'd suggest planning on 2 subs regardless.

5) Is the screen fixed (non-retractable)? Do you want the speakers behind it or flanking it?

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #5 of 5 Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estate23 View Post

Hello guys, new to the forum and new to all this home theater stuff so I need your help. We have just purchased a new home that has a room with approx size (havent measured yet) of 12 feet by 15 feet. I have absolutely no idea about all this stuff and find it a bit overwhelming. What I have decided so far is the Runco LS1 series projector and Paradigm speakers. What Im trying to do is set up the best system and I can without draining the bank account. I was at a dealer yesterday and they had the Runco LS5 series and Focal speakers with Denon amp etc and the total cost was about 20k. Since I know nothing about this stuff I know it is easy for them to take advantage of me. eek.gif So in saying that I would like to try and stay around the 15k mark install included. Any ideas on what you would do with the LS1 to make it a very nice system again without killing the bank?? I would like to walk in to a dealer with a list showing everything I want. Thanks for all your help.

Is the $15K budget just for the audio, or does that include the projector?

Is your room pre-wired for speakers and/or subwoofer? If not, are you willing to do the wiring and installation yourself, or do you want the system installed by a "professional"? If you want it installed, be prepared to pay for the design work and the installation labor. Plus most custom installers do not discount the equipment, so you'll pay close to MSRP for it. If you plan to work with a custom installer, I suggest you get at least 3 quotes from different CI's. Let them all know they are in a competitive bidding situation; that way, you'll, (hopefully), get their most competitive bid. Ask for references, particularly for systems in your budget range. If possible, go check out some of the installs performed by the different CI's, especially the ones close to your budget range. Then, select the CI you feel provides the best value and will be the easiest to work with.

OTOH, if you're willing to do it yourself, you can apply the money saved towards the equipment and room treatments and end up with a higher value system.

Good luck. smile.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page