post #451 of 956 Old 01-03-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Ah, yes, coming from the ole internal power....The quietest of the quiet....

You got that right. biggrin.gif After dinner I'm going to re run audyssey and all that jazz and have a listen. DTSs in place behind the screen. wink.gif Just have my center sitting on top of them horizontally for now - until I can get a few helpers to stack em. Heck, if it sounds fine as is I will leave it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 956 Old 01-04-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

You got that right. biggrin.gifAfter dinner I'm going to re run audyssey and all that jazz and have a listen. DTSs in place behind the screen. wink.gif Just have my center sitting on top of them horizontally for now - until I can get a few helpers to stack em. Heck, if it sounds fine as is I will leave it.

The Danley's kill it?!?!?!

Any implementation difficulty or tweaking necessary?

post #453 of 956 Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The 12-20hz range on the Danleys is especially impressive! I have them running off one channel of an FP14000 clone at 8 ohms, so they're only getting about half the power they can handle. I've been playing around with attempting to integrate with my sealed setup. It's certainly not easy or even ideal, but just having fun in the process. I moved the sealed subs to the left/right of the couches since there is no more room behind the screen and wanted to clear some standing room for the GTG. It sounds pretty good so far! Far from ideal with placement of the sealed, but it will do for now. The DTS pair sounds best crossed at 60, and I have the daytons covering up to 80. Everything is high passed at 12hz since there is not much room gain with current placement with the sealed. Not using any manual eq other than one cut at 55hz.

Before I ran Audyssey, 1/12 smoothing:

Bass I love you sounds awesome even way back at the bar. biggrin.gif haven't gotten to watch any movies yet, and will have to wait to get some more alone time for that, bah! biggrin.gif

Looking forward to having all you guys over in just 2 weeks!!

post #454 of 956 Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Storing some amps in the rack - tower o' power. biggrin.gif 2 X Peavey IPR 7500s, 2 X FP14000 clones, and minidsp 10x10 to keep things in check. eek.gif

Cleaning up for the GTG as well:

post #455 of 956 Old 01-07-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

Storing some amps in the rack - tower o' power. biggrin.gif 2 X Peavey IPR 7500s, 2 X FP14000 clones, and minidsp 10x10 to keep things in check. eek.gif

Cleaning up for the GTG as well:

Impressive amp setup! eek.gif Where are the amps located, because the wall is red and your theater is not? How many dedicated circuits do you have going to your rack? I would guess at least four?

Another GTG! Awesome! So what is coming over to be tested?

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #456 of 956 Old 01-08-2014, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Impressive amp setup! eek.gif Where are the amps located, because the wall is red and your theater is not? How many dedicated circuits do you have going to your rack? I would guess at least four?

Another GTG! Awesome! So what is coming over to be tested?

I built this rack in the adjacent room (bathroom behind the door) to store the noisy pro amps and keep them out of sight. Everything is triggered by relays. Right now only 2 of the amps are being used since that's all that is needed. I have 2 dedicated lines in that rack, another 2 in the main equipment rack, and 1 more on the front wall. I'm thinking of adding/upgrading 2 x 30A runs to the rack after the GTG. cool.gif

As for the GTG - -

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1497847/northeast-loudspeaker-gtg-ht-heavyweights-january-18th/500_100#post_24178167

wink.gif

post #457 of 956 Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hey Andrew. I am impressed how your room seems to get better and better every time I stop in here. I know the GTG will be a big hit. Hopefully I can get in on the next one.

It ain't easy being green.

post #458 of 956 Old 01-08-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Hey Andrew. I am impressed how your room seems to get better and better every time I stop in here. I know the GTG will be a big hit. Hopefully I can get in on the next one.

Thanks for checking in Mike! Haven't heard from you in a while, hope all is well. The GTG should be a blast and we're already talking about topics for the next one. smile.gif

post #459 of 956 Old 01-08-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Thanks for checking in Mike! Haven't heard from you in a while, hope all is well. The GTG should be a blast and we're already talking about topics for the next one. smile.gif
All is well in my closet tongue.gif. Nothing like your room. I really like my server though. I hope I can get in on the next GTG.

It ain't easy being green.

post #460 of 956 Old 01-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
man just stumbled onto this thread again, and i wished i had a tall garage with my own lift! You have enough toys to make a lot of guys jealous hah.

I'll take a order of custom made cabinets fresh off the cnc, while i get my brakes done in your garage please!
Can't wait to see that CNC of yours when you get it built, assuming its not built yet.
post #461 of 956 Old 01-19-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

man just stumbled onto this thread again, and i wished i had a tall garage with my own lift! You have enough toys to make a lot of guys jealous hah.

I'll take a order of custom made cabinets fresh off the cnc, while i get my brakes done in your garage please!
Can't wait to see that CNC of yours when you get it built, assuming its not built yet.

Ha! No problem, you just need to finally come visit one of these days!

BTW the DTS-10s were a hit last night and this morning we really got to let them loose a bit. I have them crossed at 60 with the sealed taking over a bit past that. I'm going to play with them a bit more this afternoon as I've got the house to myself for a few more hours. smile.gif

As for the CNC - I came across an opportunity somewhat locally and it made sense to buy commercially vs. build - If all goes well expected delivery date 2 weeks from today. smile.gif

Got to get the shop ready!

post #462 of 956 Old 01-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Ha! No problem, you just need to finally come visit one of these days!

BTW the DTS-10s were a hit last night and this morning we really got to let them loose a bit. I have them crossed at 60 with the sealed taking over a bit past that. I'm going to play with them a bit more this afternoon as I've got the house to myself for a few more hours. smile.gif

As for the CNC - I came across an opportunity somewhat locally and it made sense to buy commercially vs. build - If all goes well expected delivery date 2 weeks from today. smile.gif

Got to get the shop ready!

wow that cnc is a beast!, looks like you can handle some full size sheets no problem!
hoping for some discounted cnc work, i really could use some nice equipment cabinets hah.

looks like you can cut your own dts-10 kits with that machine!
post #463 of 956 Old 01-20-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

wow that cnc is a beast!, looks like you can handle some full size sheets no problem!
hoping for some discounted cnc work, i really could use some nice equipment cabinets hah.

looks like you can cut your own dts-10 kits with that machine!

Yeah I suppose if you're going to go through the trouble it makes sense to be able to handle full sheet goods without having to rip first, right?

Man, with all of the deals you've given me, just let me know what you need!

post #464 of 956 Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 41
How long did you keep your Fusion's as mains? I read through the thread and looks like it was not very long. Did you not care for them?

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen

post #465 of 956 Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

How long did you keep your Fusion's as mains? I read through the thread and looks like it was not very long. Did you not care for them?

I still use them as mains today - just in my living room. In fact I use the living room far more often than the basement theater these days. I really enjoy listening to them almost every day. I did a quick demo for a few members at the GTG this past Saturday. Maybe I can get them to chime in with impressions? @carp@Sibuna@beastaudio@popalock

post #466 of 956 Old 01-22-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I still use them as mains today - just in my living room. In fact I use the living room far more often than the basement theater these days. I really enjoy listening to them almost every day. I did a quick demo for a few members at the GTG this past Saturday. Maybe I can get them to chime in with impressions? @carp@Sibuna@beastaudio@popalock

Did you make your own crossover design for the 15's? I was considering the 12's as I'd rather just use the premade cabinets they have.

Were you happy with them in your theater?

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen

post #467 of 956 Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

Did you make your own crossover design for the 15's? I was considering the 12's as I'd rather just use the premade cabinets they have.

Were you happy with them in your theater?

The crossover design for the Fusion-15 was done by Matt Grant and is very nice. They were killer in my theater - and only slightly behind my Yorkvilles in clarity and midbass. The flat packs for the cabinets are available for the 15's as well.

post #468 of 956 Old 01-22-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sentinel's are animals.

I wasn't expecting a full on demo session upstairs with them, but I wasn't complaining at all!

Andrew dis-engaged the subs and let them rip. I remember him mentioning how capable they are when running full range, but honestly when I heard them at his April 2013 Speaker GTG I was left a bit wanting. Yes, they sounded good back then, but this time they were just a different animal. At under $500 shipped I can't think of anything that can touch them for the price point. Running full range in a relatively large room, I could see a lot of people not really having the need for much more in the bass department either.

Andrew, do you think the Sent's could have possibly benefited from more power than the XLS was dishing out? I tried to find the bench test for the XLS2K, but it's OEM spec'd at 650wpc @ 4ohm.

Man, in hindsight it would have been the perfect opportunity to throw in Nathan's amp switcher in the mix to compare your XLS2K vs the EP4K.

Hummm, I might see if I can try that between my AVR and my Clone before I have to give it back to Nathan.

I hate this hobby...
saginawjuggalo likes this.

post #469 of 956 Old 01-22-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

The Sentinel's are animals.

I wasn't expecting a full on demo session upstairs with them, but I wasn't complaining at all!

Andrew dis-engaged the subs and let them rip. I remember him mentioning how capable they are when running full range, but honestly when I heard them at his April 2013 Speaker GTG I was left a bit wanting. Yes, they sounded good back then, but this time they were just a different animal. At under $500 shipped I can't think of anything that can touch them for the price point. Running full range in a relatively large room, I could see a lot of people not really having the need for much more in the bass department either.

Andrew, do you think the Sent's could have possibly benefited from more power than the XLS was dishing out? I tried to find the bench test for the XLS2K, but it's OEM spec'd at 650wpc @ 4ohm.

Man, in hindsight it would have been the perfect opportunity to throw in Nathan's amp switcher in the mix to compare your XLS2K vs the EP4K.

Hummm, I might see if I can try that between my AVR and my Clone before I have to give it back to Nathan.

I hate this hobby...

Thanks for the input p-lock! They were actually powered by the Onkyo when you guys heard them on Saturday. biggrin.gif

post #470 of 956 Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input p-lock! They were actually powered by the Onkyo when you guys heard them on Saturday. biggrin.gif

Oh man, how did I miss that?

You did dis-engage the subs though, correct? We were hearing just the Sent's in full range, right?

post #471 of 956 Old 01-22-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh man, how did I miss that?

You did dis-engage the subs though, correct? We were hearing just the Sent's in full range, right?

That is correct. Full range, no crossover, and sub amp turned off.

post #472 of 956 Old 01-22-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is correct. Full range, no crossover, and sub amp turned off.

Well then, knowing one can get that kind of output off of AVR power alone is that much more impressive.

Ok, so in your experience, what kind of output gains do you think you could get from running these guys full range with a bit more power? Notable? Negligible?

post #473 of 956 Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 497
I was loving the Sentinels!

In fact it was my favorite part of music listening of the whole GTG. Andrew put on some metal (specifically Metallica's Orion Live) and I was shocked that the subs weren't on - in fact I would have lost a bet on that one. I thought they sounded fantastic - I was completely lost in the music and wasn't sitting there evaluating - that's a great sign.

I don't remember what other songs we listened to, but on Orion the tone of that guitar sound combined with the punch of the kick drum and the clear rumble of the bass guitar stuck in my head for quite a while. Also, we had been listening to music ALL DAY so you would think that I would be tired of it by that point instead of absolutely loving it.
saginawjuggalo likes this.

post #474 of 956 Old 01-22-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well then, knowing one can get that kind of output off of AVR power alone is that much more impressive.

Ok, so in your experience, what kind of output gains do you think you could get from running these guys full range with a bit more power? Notable? Negligible?

+6 db of clean output potential from the onkyo to a pro amp like the crown. For most, that's not needed but it sure it nice to have on tap. tongue.gif Quadrupling the power is easy when you're coming from a receiver. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I was loving the Sentinels!

In fact it was my favorite part of music listening of the whole GTG. Andrew put on some metal (specifically Metallica's Orion Live) and I was shocked that the subs weren't on - in fact I would have lost a bet on that one. I thought they sounded fantastic - I was completely lost in the music and wasn't sitting there evaluating - that's a great sign.

I don't remember what other songs we listened to, but on Orion the tone of that guitar sound combined with the punch of the kick drum and the clear rumble of the bass guitar stuck in my head for quite a while. Also, we had been listening to music ALL DAY so you would think that I would be tired of it by that point instead of absolutely loving it.

Thanks for chiming in, Carp!

post #475 of 956 Old 01-23-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Yea the amp section on the Onkyo is no joke (i should know i have the same one) The sents run full range and do it well. they sound very similar to my tempests just with more low end extension. I imagin most of the 12" seos offerings sounding pretty similar as they all use the same horn and most use the same CD. Bass is nice and tight on them, snares in particiular sound fantastic. I should have stuck around for a bit more. but yea as austin said, for 500 bones they would be hard to beat, assuming you have the space for them

post #476 of 956 Old 02-03-2014, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well someone is slightly excited. My new (to me) machine arrived this weekend, albeit in a bunch of assemblies and piles of parts. I spent the better part of Saturday and Sunday with a helper each time to carry the components down to the shed, organize, and start building. It took a good 8 hours to build out the table, square, and level everything. It's pretty much spot on now, and the X/Y gantry glides fantastic! The motors are now attached, but may need some slight adjustment once up and running. Next up - mounting the electronics enclosure, wiring, and re-doing the PVC piping for the vacuum table. Enjoy some pics below for those interested -

carp and popalock like this.

post #477 of 956 Old 02-03-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 211
As somebody who has no "skilzz" building anything, your workshop looks very impressive. Not even sure what half the things are for smile.gif

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #478 of 956 Old 02-03-2014, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Wow!! That is pretty tuff looking!! Do you plan on doing some type of production? Or is that beast just for your hobby?

My dual sealed LMS 5400 Ultra build

post #479 of 956 Old 02-03-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:

Holy crap, that thing is big! During a break in the action at the GTG Andrew gave me a tour of his shop and I remember thinking there was a lot of open space. That thing looks like it envelopes quite a bit of it. So when does Ape Audio open for business? tongue.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #480 of 956 Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

As somebody who has no "skilzz" building anything, your workshop looks very impressive. Not even sure what half the things are for smile.gif

Haha, a few years back I would'nt have had a clue either. It's silly to think how quickly all this stuff has come to fruition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

Wow!! That is pretty tuff looking!! Do you plan on doing some type of production? Or is that beast just for your hobby?

Mostly hobby, although I've been chatting with some local guys who may want me to do some prototype/light production work for them. We'll see how everything works out once I'm up, running, and calibrated. cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Holy crap, that thing is big! During a break in the action at the GTG Andrew gave me a tour of his shop and I remember thinking there was a lot of open space. That thing looks like it envelopes quite a bit of it. So when does Ape Audio open for business? tongue.gif

It isn't small, that's for sure, It consumes the first half of the shop almost entirely - leaving just 2 feet around the workbench. eek.gif

I love and hate the snow. I hate having to shovel/snowblow AGAIN, but the fact that I can work on my wiring during lunchtime (working from home today) is a huge plus. biggrin.gif

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Roku Hd Player , Xbox 360 Console , Panamax , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts , Crown Nxls2000 0 Us Power Amplifier , Yorkville , Jbl Professional 8340 Cinema Surround Speaker , Basement Bar
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page