Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 956 Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Austin and his wife have provided a tremendous amount of service to this nation over the past ten plus years of war. I am humbled.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #633 of 956 Old 06-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Finally made it all the way through this epic thread! All I can say is wow....'Rilla you are my DIY hero. I make lots of plans and little follow through, you on the other hand are all action. Very freakin cool the amount of work you have put into the NC project.ABSOLUTEawesomeness.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #634 of 956 Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

Austin and his wife have provided a tremendous amount of service to this nation over the past ten plus years of war. I am humbled.

Much respect there - they have (and still are) making tremendous personal sacrifices for which I am very appreciate.
Quote:

Finally made it all the way through this epic thread! All I can say is wow....'Rilla you are my DIY hero. I make lots of plans and little follow through, you on the other hand are all action. Very freakin cool the amount of work you have put into the NC project.ABSOLUTEawesomeness.

Thanks man! Every so often I'll browse through this thread to remind myself how nuts I can be at times. tongue.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #635 of 956 Old 06-04-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

+1
post #636 of 956 Old 06-04-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So had some time today to play around with a slightly different model of the dual opposed box I was thinking of doing before. 21" wide, 22" tall, and 38" deep with double baffles on both sides. It's roughly around 7.25 net cubes so a little smaller than ideal, but a stack of these (4 on each side of my center channel) would fit nicely. 1db wouldn't be a ton of concern with 16 drivers and 14k watts anyway. biggrin.gif Dados on the sides, vertical and horizontal bracing, and bottom panel.

I'd like to think this would be quite stiff. biggrin.gif

In a stain this might look quite nice:

This fits beautifully on 2 sheets. If I wind up building these I'd be happy to cut them for others as well:

post #637 of 956 Old 06-04-2014, 01:57 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 691
I might be missing something, but where is the 4th side of the box on that cutsheet?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #638 of 956 Old 06-04-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Definitely looks like it'd be a stiffy👍
post #639 of 956 Old 06-04-2014, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I might be missing something, but where is the 4th side of the box on that cutsheet?

In order, first sheet has left, right, top, and bottom panels. Bottom panel has the dado groves for vertical bracing, and both inner baffles on it.

post #640 of 956 Old 06-04-2014, 04:01 PM
The Truth Hz

Got it. Thought that was 4 separate panels.

post #641 of 956 Old 06-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

That looks like a nice cabinet...I bet a bunch of those stuffed with SI 18's driven by the LG clone would be sweet. Hmmm.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #642 of 956 Old 06-04-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It has been 4 hours ... is it built yet? biggrin.gif
post #643 of 956 Old 06-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 82
what program do you use for the cut sheet? is it that dolphin website?

My dual sealed LMS 5400 Ultra build

post #644 of 956 Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got it. Thought that was 4 separate panels.

Yes sir. cool.gif It's hard to tell from the cut sheet since everything is scaled so small.

Quote:

That looks like a nice cabinet...I bet a bunch of those stuffed with SI 18's driven by the LG clone would be sweet. Hmmm.

No doubt. The clone amps are great matches for the d2s, and the peavey/crest amps are great with the D4s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post

It has been 4 hours ... is it built yet? biggrin.gif

Ha, I wish my man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

what program do you use for the cut sheet? is it that dolphin website?

Vectric Aspire.

http://www.vectric.com/products/aspire.html

post #645 of 956 Old 06-05-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Shop looks great. I love watching your projects. I wish I was as crafty.

Finally Subscribed as I forget you have this on going thread

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #646 of 956 Old 06-06-2014, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Shop looks great. I love watching your projects. I wish I was as crafty.

Finally Subscribed as I forget you have this on going thread

Thanks Dave! Now that I'm almost done 'building' out the shop I have an urge to rip apart the theater and start over, lol. Especially after reading your thread. smile.gif It's safe to say I'm addicted to projects, haha.

post #647 of 956 Old 06-06-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Thanks Dave! Now that I'm almost done 'building' out the shop I have an urge to rip apart the theater and start over, lol. Especially after reading your thread. smile.gif It's safe to say I'm addicted to projects, haha.
Well you seem to have a knack for it. I actually skimmed back to the front of this thread and man things have come a long way. You'll find something to do. I'm going to be running my wires this weekend and it is gong to be tough due to the framing, so I am still putting together my plans today. I am going to take the weekend to do it and get prepped for sheetrock.

Looking back I noticed your wall traps and I am intrigued, they looked really simple to build. Where did you get the insulation for them? Also the corner traps you built, I did not see the inners, unless I missed it, but do you have any pics of your build for the corner traps? If you noticed in the picture I am modeling my room off of, there are front corner traps, kind of hard to see them, however they look custom though. I priced them and they are pretty expensive for something floor to celling. Looking at your pics of all your traps, I may just build my own now.

My System

post #648 of 956 Old 06-06-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well you seem to have a knack for it. I actually skimmed back to the front of this thread and man things have come a long way. You'll find something to do. I'm going to be running my wires this weekend and it is gong to be tough due to the framing, so I am still putting together my plans today. I am going to take the weekend to do it and get prepped for sheetrock.

Looking back I noticed your wall traps and I am intrigued, they looked really simple to build. Where did you get the insulation for them? Also the corner traps you built, I did not see the inners, unless I missed it, but do you have any pics of your build for the corner traps? If you noticed in the picture I am modeling my room off of, there are front corner traps, kind of hard to see them, however they look custom though. I priced them and they are pretty expensive for something floor to celling. Looking at your pics of all your traps, I may just build my own now.

Dave,

Building treatments (frames/wrapping) is about as easy as it gets for DIY work. I got my rigid fiberboard from a local insulation supplier - they are pretty easy to find. You could just as easily use Roxul Safe N sound for those as well though and go super thick in the corners. 2-3 3" layers of that would really get it done for the lower frequencies. The corner traps are built in principal the exact same way, they are just thicker than the wall treatments in most cases. In many cases it is effective to leave an air gap behind the insulation as it makes it a bit more effective.

post #649 of 956 Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dave,

Building treatments (frames/wrapping) is about as easy as it gets for DIY work. I got my rigid fiberboard from a local insulation supplier - they are pretty easy to find. You could just as easily use Roxul Safe N sound for those as well though and go super thick in the corners. 2-3 3" layers of that would really get it done for the lower frequencies. The corner traps are built in principal the exact same way, they are just thicker than the wall treatments in most cases. In many cases it is effective to leave an air gap behind the insulation as it makes it a bit more effective.
Cool, so essentially the corners are the same just taller? I thought I had seen you post where you stacked them in triangles or was that someone else? Working hands on in this room has defiantly given me more confidence on working on projects. I will certainly not hesitate to get my feet wet in some DIY, but honestly I am so happy with my set up, I really don't need anything right yet. If the Triax's work as well in the new room, I may not need anything for quite some time. However I am still love struck from Brandon's set up. My highlight was when we demoed the Metallica in thorough the never. I remember that one bass drop in the middle of the song, I believe it was "One". It was awesome, It felt like I came out of my seat and my stomach got that funny little feeling, that was so bad a@@. I know everyone else felt it. I would love to duplicate that someday.
ambesolman likes this.

My System

post #650 of 956 Old 06-06-2014, 09:41 AM
The Truth Hz

You could sell those triaxes and get some serious DIY sub love going in there and recreate it, along with some extra capital to spend on other fun goodies in a quickness! Haha

post #651 of 956 Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You could sell those triaxes and get some serious DIY sub love going in there and recreate it, along with some extra capital to spend on other fun goodies in a quickness! Haha
I did toy with selling everything and getting 3 215's, but I don't think they will have enough bass, actually I know biggrin.gif I am going to wait and see what comes down the road in the next year. For now I am happy, I am going to enjoy this stuff for awhile. Heard rumors of a Danley SM60 HT version also want to see if Mark Seaton comes up with something or a Sealed version of the 215's. The only goodies I have coming is the Emotiva XMC 1. I got on the list and I am going to take a shot at it. Also a couple of new amps. If I don't get any word on the XMC 1 anytime soon, I am going to start looking at something else or roll with the 4520 with my 3 channel Emotiva XPA-3 for the time being. Gotta work on a screen and chairs first. That will be mission #1 in a couple of weeks.

My System

post #652 of 956 Old 06-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
can't wait to see some updates on that entertainment center! i'll be down there soon as we get something figured out, in my newly supercharged suv hah. hopefully i dont get pulled over flying down there.
post #653 of 956 Old 06-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 72
If you get the 4520 just remember I told you so.

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #654 of 956 Old 06-06-2014, 10:55 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:

I did toy with selling everything and getting 3 215's, but I don't think they will have enough bass, actually I know biggrin.gif I am going to wait and see what comes down the road in the next year. For now I am happy, I am going to enjoy this stuff for awhile. Heard rumors of a Danley SM60 HT version also want to see if Mark Seaton comes up with something or a Sealed version of the 215's. The only goodies I have coming is the Emotiva XMC 1. I got on the list and I am going to take a shot at it. Also a couple of new amps. If I don't get any word on the XMC 1 anytime soon, I am going to start looking at something else or roll with the 4520 with my 3 channel Emotiva XPA-3 for the time being. Gotta work on a screen and chairs first. That will be mission #1 in a couple of weeks.

The 215RM is going to be a sealed version I do believe smile.gif So at at least that option is already in the works biggrin.gif

post #655 of 956 Old 06-06-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope you see the xmc1. The Dirac is intriguing and I hope it's not a super lite version, but maybe we'll see. I'm meeting up with a few folks for emofest in a couple of weeks and will see if they have a working unit. Anybody wanna join us?

What are you using for speakers now? Did you sell the noesis and the danleys? Btw, you were right about the rx8s needing a little more juice. The extra oomph is nice.

I've kicked around the idea of DIY too since I really want to add a second sub. Just broke at the moment. Beast, what's the ballpark figure if I wanted to build a couple of your DO boxes incl the subs?
post #656 of 956 Old 06-07-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

I hope you see the xmc1. The Dirac is intriguing and I hope it's not a super lite version, but maybe we'll see. I'm meeting up with a few folks for emofest in a couple of weeks and will see if they have a working unit. Anybody wanna join us?

What are you using for speakers now? Did you sell the noesis and the danleys? Btw, you were right about the rx8s needing a little more juice. The extra oomph is nice.

I've kicked around the idea of DIY too since I really want to add a second sub. Just broke at the moment. Beast, what's the ballpark figure if I wanted to build a couple of your DO boxes incl the subs?
212's are my mains right now. I sold the Danleys to Gooddoc. I actually texted him the other day as he was missing for awhile. He is fine, just busy.

I would like to go to Emofest, but a little far. I think Atlanta is the closest event to me? I'm going to gamble on the XMC 1, hopefully not to buggy.

My System

post #657 of 956 Old 06-07-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you've got a desire to do something DIY, you know where you can find some design/build help. I'd be happy to design and cut something custom for you. smile.gif 8-16 SI sealed is just what the doc ordered. biggrin.gif

post #658 of 956 Old 06-07-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you've got a desire to do something DIY, you know where you can find some design/build help. I'd be happy to design and cut something custom for you. smile.gif 8-16 SI sealed is just what the doc ordered. biggrin.gif
Thank you very much!! We will defiantly talk about that more towards the fall. I figure by then it will be time to upgrade biggrin.gif

My System

post #659 of 956 Old 06-08-2014, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got a chance to finish cutting and put together a friend's sealed enclosure today - twin Dayton Ultimax 15's in a front firing configuration. After some communciation issues with the machine, we got going again. smile.gif

From screen to machine - My buddy Mike (deantown on here) designed the box and we got silly with bracing and complexity for such a simple enclosure, heh. Dados on all 6 sides includes recesses on the top and bottom of the entire panel. We toyed with this 'HD cabinet ply' which isn't the best with knots and warping but we made it work for a very reasonable price. I'm hoping he starts a build thread soon.

Sketchup mockup:

Doing some toolpathing:

Cutting:

Dry fit and assembly - this part was a lot of fun! smile.gif

post #660 of 956 Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Ri-dun-cu-lous, Andrew.
Phenomenal bracing (love that brace bracket design), dadoes, recesses...fantastic!
One or two subs for deantown?
Hope he enjoys!

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Roku Hd Player , Xbox 360 Console , Panamax , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts , Crown Nxls2000 0 Us Power Amplifier , Yorkville , Jbl Professional 8340 Cinema Surround Speaker , Basement Bar
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page