It's been quite a while so I've been overdue for a theater/basement room update.
I'd been putting off doing a black ceiling and ceiling treatments for quite some time, and I finally gave in with some encouragement from my good buddy Archaea. I have on order 3 cartons of Certainteed Theater black F ceiling tiles which should be in this week with any luck. I hope so as I'm going through withdrawl!
Along with that projects I decided I'd add some more treatments including the entire back wall, more above ceiling, and some massive 4' side panels. Here we go:
Completed this week:
-Swap 8 X Dayton 18" drivers for 8 X SI D4 drivers which gives me a better impedance match with my IPR amplifers. I've got 8 more of these guys that will eventually get installed this summer.
-Teardown of existing ceiling, what a mess!
-Paint 3 coats of flat back on existing white grid
-Paint existing can lights and HVAC return diffuser black
-Add additional R38 in ceiling joints to complete the entire listening area. I'm planning on adding a few more batts around the perimeter for a full 2' thick in that area for absolute absorption.
-While I had the ceiling out, I figured I would run 2 more speaker lines up front to give me additional wiring options.
To do this week and coming weekend:
-Cut and Install new theater black ceiling tiles
-Cut frames for front and side wall treatments (I have 16 X 1 by 4's at the house now ready to go). Front wall treatment will be 12' wide x 7' high. Side panels built for the left and right walls right in front of the screen will be roughly 7'5" tall by 42" wide. The sides will help tremendously with both light and sound absorption.
-Trim and install insulation panels into treatment frames (using 4-8" of Roxul Safe n sound)
Some progress pics from this week - excuse the mess, heh.
Teardown and before masking and painting:
Paint grid and install 8 batts of R34!
-This step was a PITA and tedious but it came out really nice.
'Murder out' lights and diffuser:
Stay tuned for updates this week!