Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 824 Old 06-29-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 251
It's been quite a while so I've been overdue for a theater/basement room update. I'd been putting off doing a black ceiling and ceiling treatments for quite some time, and I finally gave in with some encouragement from my good buddy Archaea. I have on order 3 cartons of Certainteed Theater black F ceiling tiles which should be in this week with any luck. I hope so as I'm going through withdrawl! Along with that projects I decided I'd add some more treatments including the entire back wall, more above ceiling, and some massive 4' side panels. Here we go:

Completed this week:
-Swap 8 X Dayton 18" drivers for 8 X SI D4 drivers which gives me a better impedance match with my IPR amplifers. I've got 8 more of these guys that will eventually get installed this summer.
-Teardown of existing ceiling, what a mess!
-Paint 3 coats of flat back on existing white grid
-Paint existing can lights and HVAC return diffuser black
-Add additional R38 in ceiling joints to complete the entire listening area. I'm planning on adding a few more batts around the perimeter for a full 2' thick in that area for absolute absorption.
-While I had the ceiling out, I figured I would run 2 more speaker lines up front to give me additional wiring options.

To do this week and coming weekend:
-Cut and Install new theater black ceiling tiles
-Cut frames for front and side wall treatments (I have 16 X 1 by 4's at the house now ready to go). Front wall treatment will be 12' wide x 7' high. Side panels built for the left and right walls right in front of the screen will be roughly 7'5" tall by 42" wide. The sides will help tremendously with both light and sound absorption.
-Trim and install insulation panels into treatment frames (using 4-8" of Roxul Safe n sound)

Some progress pics from this week - excuse the mess, heh.

Teardown and before masking and painting:

Paint grid and install 8 batts of R34!
-This step was a PITA and tedious but it came out really nice.

'Murder out' lights and diffuser:

Stay tuned for updates this week!
post #693 of 824 Old 06-29-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Thumbs up

Andrew, having been at Jonathan's before and after he did that to his ceiling I can tell you that it will be well worth it!

The insulation above the drop ceiling is huge too, I could tell just walking in his room that the acoustics had completely changed for the better.
post #694 of 824 Old 06-29-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Andrew, having been at Jonathan's before and after he did that to his ceiling I can tell you that it will be well worth it!

The insulation above the drop ceiling is huge too, I could tell just walking in his room that the acoustics had completely changed for the better.
I'm really looking forward to getting it done and trying it out soon. Jonathan got me excited for this project.

I had quite a bit of insulation in the ceiling before, but when I'm finished I will have just about double what was there before.

Also forgot to mention I added some sound deadening to the can lights, diffuser, and other components to kill any odd noises up there.
post #695 of 824 Old 06-29-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
For the next GTG you might want to ensure your wife is out of the house before Jonathan gets there. I get the feel she'll want to have a discussion with him about the things he says to you in the future...
Archaea likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #696 of 824 Old 06-30-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

+1. I've had a "real" acoustic dropped ceiling with black tiles and a black grid for a number of years. I would rank it as a "10" improvement over my old, white, cheap ceiling tile ceiling. To put that in perspective, the other things in my theater I would rank as a "10" upgrade are the 3 Submersive HP's, the Triad Platinums, the SeymourAV xD AT screen and Audyssey XT32. The ceiling is an upgrade for BOTH the audio and the video. Not many things you can do that have a significant affect on BOTH aspects of the HT.

Craig
carp, Archaea, MIkeDuke and 1 others like this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #697 of 824 Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Man alive you DIY guys love to make a mess . I am sure the ceiling will be very nice when it's all done. I never really thought about the ceiling too much. I can't do what you and Craig did so I just put 2 GIK 244's up there. Not nearly as complex as what you guys did(are doing though). But it should make quite the improvement.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #698 of 824 Old 06-30-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Well I'll redirect to craig john and my experience of his extraodinarely impressive theater space! His black ceiling tiles, and acoustic treatments caught my attention in January, and a month ago or so he helped direct me towards some of the same paths in my space. I'm glad to see Andrew doing this too. It is an immensive upgrade!

Jim, when you see the change (or Andrew's wife for that matter) there won't be any finger pointing --- just oooohs and ahhhhs along with Andrew's undoubted satisfaction based smile that this particular theater room modification was well worth the time and expense.

You know -- we have a pretty cool crowd of friends on these boards!
JimWilson and Gorilla83 like this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 06-30-2014 at 08:33 AM.
post #699 of 824 Old 06-30-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I admit, when I went over Craig's house I was confused. He said those black ceiling tiles were part of his room treatment and I barely saw any other. I know he has some on the front wall as well. And in the space above his ceiling he has some sort of treatment. He said he is using a drop ceiling. I will admit I don't know what that is. I found it an interesting setup though when compared to my room where all of the treatments are GIK and easily seen. I also have about 1ft of basic insulation above my head and in one of my other walls but I doubt it's at the level that you guys are talking about.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #700 of 824 Old 06-30-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
For the next GTG you might want to ensure your wife is out of the house before Jonathan gets there. I get the feel she'll want to have a discussion with him about the things he says to you in the future...
Believe it or not my wife was on board with the idea from the beginning! The only part she doesn't like is me spending so much time in the shop or in the theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
+1. I've had a "real" acoustic dropped ceiling with black tiles and a black grid for a number of years. I would rank it as a "10" improvement over my old, white, cheap ceiling tile ceiling. To put that in perspective, the other things in my theater I would rank as a "10" upgrade are the 3 Submersive HP's, the Triad Platinums, the SeymourAV xD AT screen and Audyssey XT32. The ceiling is an upgrade for BOTH the audio and the video. Not many things you can do that have a significant affect on BOTH aspects of the HT.

Craig
Craig - Since Jonathan got his motivation from you I believe you are due the "real" credit for the inspiration of this project. I can't wait to get everything buttoned up for a listen and viewing. These tiles can't get here soon enough!

Just got back from a lunch trip to Home depot for a few more batts of R38. I'm going to go double around the perimeter of the room which will give me a full 2' of pink fluffy in that area. Fortunately my joists are over 1' deep (to floor above) and I have about 1' between the joists and the tiles leaving me ample room for some serious absorption.
post #701 of 824 Old 07-01-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 289
Do you think I would be better off doing a drop ceiling in my theater or just using sheetrock? I love the idea of being able to access wires and such. I would not be able to drop it very much, the tracks would have to be to the studs. But I love the thought of the acoustic panels. Whada ya think? Brandon said I would be chasing noise?
post #702 of 824 Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Do you think I would be better off doing a drop ceiling in my theater or just using sheetrock? I love the idea of being able to access wires and such. I would not be able to drop it very much, the tracks would have to be to the studs. But I love the thought of the acoustic panels. Whada ya think? Brandon said I would be chasing noise?
You will need at least a few inches above the tracks to be able to slide the tiles in. If the grid is tight and you keep weight on the tiles, and "decouple the track from the wall, they should not rattle. There are certainly acoustic benefits to using the right tiles, but there are also plenty of options to treat a sheetrock ceiling.
post #703 of 824 Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...-construction/

If you want to isolate sound, there are other options ... the sheetrock route for a ceiling is generally a combination of clips, channel, sheetrock+greenglue+sheetrock, with cheap insulation behind it ...
post #704 of 824 Old 07-01-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
You will need at least a few inches above the tracks to be able to slide the tiles in. If the grid is tight and you keep weight on the tiles, and "decouple the track from the wall, they should not rattle. There are certainly acoustic benefits to using the right tiles, but there are also plenty of options to treat a sheetrock ceiling.
I actually like the idea of the ceiling open for upgrades or getting to wires. One thing was I was only able to put the HDMI in conduit to the projector. Everything else is just run through the ceiling freely. Just not enough room for conduit. One of the faults of using an "existing" room and not laying the wires out the way you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...-construction/

If you want to isolate sound, there are other options ... the sheetrock route for a ceiling is generally a combination of clips, channel, sheetrock+greenglue+sheetrock, with cheap insulation behind it ...
I am not going that route. I am using quiet rock with Roxul. I really don't need to soundproof as the room really does not need to be soundproofed as it is off the house. It is also a bad room and I don't feel like investing the time and money to make it right. I will save that for my next project when we move into our new home in a couple of years. The house we are moving into has a major basement. I am sure some of the guys are going to enjoy future GTG's when I am done that project Yourself included if your a PA guy.
post #705 of 824 Old 07-01-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am a PA guy ... I look forward to it
post #706 of 824 Old 07-02-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Red face

@Gorilla I read your entire thread. Feels like I came along for the ride of a life time. I'd like to join you guys if possible. I'm in Philly. Is there a PA theater crawl thread? If not there should be!!
imagic likes this.
post #707 of 824 Old 07-02-2014, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post
@Gorilla I read your entire thread. Feels like I came along for the ride of a life time. I'd like to join you guys if possible. I'm in Philly. Is there a PA theater crawl thread? If not there should be!!
You are right, there should be a PA theater thread for certain. Always good to hear from local guys! Thanks for stopping in and reading.
onyxbfly likes this.
post #708 of 824 Old 07-02-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You are right, there should be a PA theater thread for certain. Always good to hear from local guys! Thanks for stopping in and reading.
Did you discuss the newbie fee with him Andrew? Your GTG's have become legendary, so we certainly can't have just anybody showing up now.

post #709 of 824 Old 07-02-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Did you discuss the newbie fee with him Andrew? Your GTG's have become legendary, so we certainly can't have just anybody showing up now.
Ok I'm game, whats the price of admission? LOL Currently wking on my basement build at a snails pace. Once its done. I'm all for reciprocating.
post #710 of 824 Old 07-03-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post
Ok I'm game, whats the price of admission? LOL Currently wking on my basement build at a snails pace. Once its done. I'm all for reciprocating.
Hmmm, that might suffice...

post #711 of 824 Old 07-03-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cost of admission now is defined as building your own setup (Speakers or subs) and bringing it to share and for us to listen. Wouldn't this rule you out, Jimbo?
post #712 of 824 Old 07-03-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cost of admission now is defined as building your own setup (Speakers or subs) and bringing it to share and for us to listen. Wouldn't this rule you out, Jimbo?
The last person who called me Jimbo still eats through a tube...

'cost of admission now', with now being the key word, means going forward. I'm grandfathered in. After all, who would collect the money if I'm not there?

post #713 of 824 Old 07-03-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

'cost of admission now', with now being the key word, means going forward. I'm grandfathered in. After all, who would collect the money if I'm not there?
Damnit Jim(bo)! You might have a point, we do need the enforcer. Although it would be best for everyone if you would just build something.
post #714 of 824 Old 07-03-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Two numbers Andrew; 0 and 10. The former is my DIY skills, while the latter in the number of fingers I currently have. I can't change the first unfortunately and I really don't want to change the second!

I do actually have an idea for a small subwoofer though, so maybe I'll pick your brain at some point.
Archaea likes this.

post #715 of 824 Old 07-03-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 470
hah!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #716 of 824 Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Damnit Jim(bo)! You might have a point, we do need the enforcer.

Time to bring in Jack, Steve, and Jeff?
post #717 of 824 Old 07-03-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

Grandfather-ed...lol.
post #718 of 824 Old 07-03-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

All new attendees have car loading detail. And just hope its not icy or raining
post #719 of 824 Old 07-03-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All new attendees have car loading detail. And just hope its not icy or raining
For sure I'm good then - I think I've helped everyone carry something back to thier car at least once.

post #720 of 824 Old 07-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Hey, fellas...beast...does anyone know of a crimp-on/solder-on-type spade-like connector for 12awg speaker wire AND fits/slides on to the back terminals of a Neutrik NL4MPR?
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Roku Hd Player , Xbox 360 Console , Panamax , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts , Crown Nxls2000 0 Us Power Amplifier , Yorkville , Jbl Professional 8340 Cinema Surround Speaker , Basement Bar
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page