post #721 of 956 Old 07-03-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post
Hey, fellas...beast...does anyone know of a crimp-on/solder-on-type spade-like connector for 12awg speaker wire AND fits/slides on to the back terminals of a Neutrik NL4MPR?
disregard, I read that backwards ... sorry blah450

Last edited by klipsch; 07-03-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 956 Old 07-03-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Hey, fellas...beast...does anyone know of a crimp-on/solder-on-type spade-like connector for 12awg speaker wire AND fits/slides on to the back terminals of a Neutrik NL4MPR?
https://www.parts-express.com/1-4-(1...0-pcs--095-290

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #723 of 956 Old 07-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
^^^^^^^those work okay despite the Neutrik having 3/16" tabs?

Last edited by blah450; 07-03-2014 at 02:08 PM.
post #724 of 956 Old 07-03-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^^^^^^those work okay despite the Neutrik having 3/16" tabs?
Yup, I have used them before.

post #725 of 956 Old 07-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you, sir!

post #726 of 956 Old 07-04-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
For sure I'm good then - I think I've helped everyone carry something back to thier car at least once.
Yes you have Jim. And it was appreciated last time. Going to need a crew for the new big boys I just ordered. We have 215's for science experiments now
ambesolman likes this.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #727 of 956 Old 07-04-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Yes you have Jim. And it was appreciated last time. Going to need a crew for the new big boys I just ordered. We have 215's for science experiments now
Those suckers weigh over 200 pounds! Better start eating my Wheaties now...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #728 of 956 Old 07-05-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Those suckers weigh over 200 pounds! Better start eating my Wheaties now...

Don't get suckered into carrying the "heavy end", it's no picnic!

post #729 of 956 Old 07-05-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Only 200 pounds? That would actually be fun after moving the DTS-10's in and out of my basement.

post #730 of 956 Old 07-05-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Good point, and I bet they are awkward as hell to carry!

post #731 of 956 Old 07-05-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Haha, did you have the heavy AND light end at the same time? I would have been crushed to death.

post #732 of 956 Old 07-05-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Good point, and I bet they are awkward as hell to carry!
Awkward are these Triax's. I think I am going to rent a crane the next time they have to leave the house.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #733 of 956 Old 07-05-2014, 04:36 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
+1. I've had a "real" acoustic dropped ceiling with black tiles and a black grid for a number of years. I would rank it as a "10" improvement over my old, white, cheap ceiling tile ceiling. To put that in perspective, the other things in my theater I would rank as a "10" upgrade are the 3 Submersive HP's, the Triad Platinums, the SeymourAV xD AT screen and Audyssey XT32. The ceiling is an upgrade for BOTH the audio and the video. Not many things you can do that have a significant affect on BOTH aspects of the HT.

Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Well I'll redirect to craig john and my experience of his extraodinarely impressive theater space! His black ceiling tiles, and acoustic treatments caught my attention in January, and a month ago or so he helped direct me towards some of the same paths in my space. I'm glad to see Andrew doing this too. It is an immensive upgrade!

Jim, when you see the change (or Andrew's wife for that matter) there won't be any finger pointing --- just oooohs and ahhhhs along with Andrew's undoubted satisfaction based smile that this particular theater room modification was well worth the time and expense.

You know -- we have a pretty cool crowd of friends on these boards!
Truth here!!!! The 8 panels I dropped in above the MLP and front row, along with the additional 2,000 (I felt like) bats of fluffy i dropped in above the grid made a huge difference, between that and the front wall full-on treatment, I don't know which made a more profound difference, but they were both an incredibly significant improvement. I would love to do the entire ceiling with the faced black panels instead of the traditional black acoustic tiles...I am getting very close to pulling the trigger, soon as Andrew tosses me a link to where he got his

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #734 of 956 Old 07-05-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Jim, when you see the change (or Andrew's wife for that matter) there won't be any finger pointing --- just oooohs and ahhhhs along with Andrew's undoubted satisfaction based smile that this particular theater room modification was well worth the time and expense.

You ooooh and ahhhh'd over his old lady!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Truth here!!!! The 8 panels I dropped in above the MLP and front row, along with the additional 2,000 (I felt like) bats of fluffy i dropped in above the grid made a huge difference, between that and the front wall full-on treatment, I don't know which made a more profound difference, but they were both an incredibly significant improvement. I would love to do the entire ceiling with the faced black panels instead of the traditional black acoustic tiles...I am getting very close to pulling the trigger, soon as Andrew tosses me a link to where he got his

What was your front wall made of again?

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #735 of 956 Old 07-05-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Awkward are these Triax's. I think I am going to rent a crane the next time they have to leave the house.

Between the Triax's and the 215's I'll bet your house is starting to tilt from all the weight. Not that it matters really, because I'm sure your HT will destroy the foundation anyway. But it will be fun while it lasts!

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #736 of 956 Old 07-07-2014, 07:13 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
You ooooh and ahhhh'd over his old lady!?!?

What was your front wall made of again?

2 one inch layers of linacoustic, or the like, with a layer of 4 mil ply sandwiched in between the two layers. Floor to ceiling, wall to wall, and the same out to 4 feet on either side wall as well...
ambesolman likes this.

post #737 of 956 Old 07-07-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here are the tiles I'm using - my bad I thought I had sent a link via text:

http://www.certainteed.com/products/...erforma/314184

If you click on "find local distributors" you should be able to find some place local that carries them. Hopefully one of these days mine will come in stock and I can pick them up.

post #738 of 956 Old 07-08-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Spent a LOT of time this weekend getting the room ready for some guests next weekend. I had been waiting nearly a month for the ceiling tiles to come in and they finally arrived yesterday afternoon. The preparation over the past few weeks was a ton of work but the end result was well worth it. Thanks to @Archaea for the idea and help. Here is what went down this past extended weekend:

-Move projector back 2' to allow for greater adjustment flexibility (been wanting to do this since I went AT

-Swap FP14K clone out for 2 X Peavey IPR7500s to drive the 8 X SID4 subwoofers, running at 4 ohm stereo

-Built out floor to ceilling (minus floor trim) frames for side and back treatments. Paint and assembled frames.

Example: 1 of 2 frames for back wall

-Stuffed frames with Rockwool and covered with black AT cloth. This step was NOT easy considering how large the panels were and how flimsy the rockwool is.

-Mounted frames to wall using L-brackets and aluminum cleats. Cover entire back wall with black AT fabric.

In progress pic of back wall:

-Cut and installed Certainteed Theater black tiles (mostly 1" over listening area but some 5/8" thick behind screen)

-Added additional batts of insulation (R38) around front perimeter of room

-Reinstall all newly painted light trims

-Reinstall painted HVAC diffuser and connect line

-Install sound deadening material on all light boxes and diffuser to avoid any rattling up there. For anyone looking, this stuff is an awesome alternative to dynamat. Very very effective and inexpensive:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326...ductId=1018733

-Reconnect and restack front stage

-Install screen again and do quick and dirty adjustments on projector

WOW!! Enormous improvement in contrast and black levels. The crappy iphone pics don't do this justice, but it's still fun to try. All projector settings were reset and will be redone.

The after

carp, Archaea, Reddig and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Gorilla83; 07-08-2014 at 09:00 AM.
post #739 of 956 Old 07-08-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well done!

I look forward to seeing all the work in person
post #740 of 956 Old 07-08-2014, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've still got to clean up all my tools, trash, mess and do the following in the next day or two:

-Hang remaining 2 side treatments using cleats
-Recalibrate all sound / Audyssey / distances. I discovered my trims had to be raised a hair after all the deadening
-Touch up spots of paint on walls and remove rest of masking tape
-Take better pictures using digital camera
-Play with projector settings
-Watch a movie!!

In the next few weeks I'm going to build out a panel for the carpet to cover 6' out from the screen or so. My man @popalock hooked me up with some velvet (months ago!) that will be perfect for such a task. I'm thinking something about 10-12' wide and 5-6' deep wrapped in this deep velvet will do the trick. That will pretty much make everything perfect for me as far as light control even though I can't see the floor when watching from the 2nd row on the riser anyway.

Last edited by Gorilla83; 07-08-2014 at 07:07 AM.
post #741 of 956 Old 07-08-2014, 07:06 AM
The Truth Hz

Dude, hook us up with a close up of one of the ceiling panels in some good light if you have one or two left over! The website has no stock photo and I am still curious how close it is to the ones I got from ats, which I LOVE. Looks incredible man, you are now full on HT status in that area. It'll reinvigorate you for some movie watching to say the least. How has the sound changed with the front and side wall stuff? Perhaps we should just chat some later this evening haha.

post #742 of 956 Old 07-08-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
Well done!

I look forward to seeing all the work in person
Thanks! It was a hard weekend and will probably be a few hard nights to get everything cleaned up but we should be good to go for this weekend.

post #743 of 956 Old 07-08-2014, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dude, hook us up with a close up of one of the ceiling panels in some good light if you have one or two left over! The website has no stock photo and I am still curious how close it is to the ones I got from ats, which I LOVE. Looks incredible man, you are now full on HT status in that area. It'll reinvigorate you for some movie watching to say the least. How has the sound changed with the front and side wall stuff? Perhaps we should just chat some later this evening haha.
I got you - I have about 20+ panels left over actually and I'll try to get some decent pictures of those maybe outside as well as better pictures of the room. The best description of them is like an OC703 type panel with what appears to be a very fine black "felt" on one side that serves as a very effective light absorbing trap. Price wise they are extremely reasonable and WAY cheaper than any dedicated acoustics place would sell such panels.

Even my wife said just looking at the room is a DRASTIC difference in the theater "feel." With the lights out it's freaking DARK in there man. I need to use my iphone light to see anything haha. The room definitely is more dead now although I have not had any time to take a hard listen or do any calibration at all just yet. I did a quick snap/clap test around the room and the amount of slap echo I was hearing in some places is non-existent now. Stay tuned for this evening - with any luck after cleaning up and some cooperation from the little dude we can at least watch a streamed show or something haha. I will give you a shout to discuss further.

As far as I'm concerned this is one of the "must do" for anyone on the fence - right up there with the AT screen.

Last edited by Gorilla83; 07-08-2014 at 07:19 AM.
post #744 of 956 Old 07-08-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Nicely done! That black ceiling looks great. That plus all the bats above should put you in good shape. When you get around to a demo, ask the mrs to see if it's quieter upstairs.

The tiles look nice though. Surprised you didn't just find 4x8' sheets of the stuff and CNC them yourself[emoji16]

post #745 of 956 Old 07-08-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Cost of admission now is defined as building your own setup (Speakers or subs) and bringing it to share and for us to listen. Wouldn't this rule you out, Jimbo?
I have a set of Clearwave Dynamics and 2 JBL W15GTI in 4"cu cubes that would require help in and out of the house LOL
post #746 of 956 Old 07-08-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Nicely done! That black ceiling looks great. That plus all the bats above should put you in good shape. When you get around to a demo, ask the mrs to see if it's quieter upstairs.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still ������
Thanks!

Unfortunately even 1-2' of fiberglass won't do much to stop / sound control lower frequencies. Maybe some of the upper end/treble will be attenuated, but there is only so much that can be done to quiet down 8 18" drivers slamming. Stopping a 15-20hz wave would take several feet of concrete.

post #747 of 956 Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome! I thought my using Triple Eagle black microvelvet on ceiling and around was going nuts.
The reflected light off my floor has always been nagging me...and you're going to cover your front floor area! Freakin' First-Class, sir!

It's something else to look at your first post in this thread and then this latest.

post #748 of 956 Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 AM
The Truth Hz

Yea or even just since my first trip up there! Whoa! I really need to make a thread with all of my changes and such. Right now they are sitting on like 3 different SD cards, dropbox, here, harddrives on two different PC's etc. Consolidation is a must for me right now....

post #749 of 956 Old 07-08-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Thanks!

Unfortunately even 1-2' of fiberglass won't do much to stop / sound control lower frequencies. Maybe some of the upper end/treble will be attenuated, but there is only so much that can be done to quiet down 8 18" drivers slamming. Stopping a 15-20hz wave would take several feet of concrete.
You're a pretty big dude, i bet you could stop it
Gorilla83 likes this.
post #750 of 956 Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 677
LOOKS EXCELLENT!

I'm glad you are liking the change! I can't believe you placed 78 tiles in just a few hours! (including cuttouts for lights HVAC vents, etc).

Talk about efficient...

I'm looking forward to checking out your space next time I come out to PA - which is likely going to be mid August. When the details are ironed out on our trip, I'll see when/if you are avail for a quick drop in.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Roku Hd Player , Xbox 360 Console , Panamax , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts , Crown Nxls2000 0 Us Power Amplifier , Yorkville , Jbl Professional 8340 Cinema Surround Speaker , Basement Bar
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page