Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 757 Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 507
OOOO Mid august eh?!?!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 757 Old 07-08-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Yea or even just since my first trip up there! Whoa! I really need to make a thread with all of my changes and such. Right now they are sitting on like 3 different SD cards, dropbox, here, harddrives on two different PC's etc. Consolidation is a must for me right now....
With this in mind, I thought it might be fun to highlight some of the drastic changes in the room since inception - you should do the same!

After moving in - circa 2010 - 65" Mistu DLP, Black Raymour couches, yellow walls, Polk monitor and sub, etc.

Paint walls, build 'risers' for speaker stands. Install first projector, 120" jamestown screen, swap speakers for Deftech all around. Loved my first big screen.

Move to JTR Captivators - wow! Wish I had some pics of these handy.

Build new mains - DIYSG Sentinels and new subs - Dayton sealed 18s. Add basic wall and back sound treatments

Build AT screen and false wall - now we're getting serious!

Swap Sentinels for Yorkville U215 LCR

Add riser and cutout for equipment

Add black ceiling, grid, and full on treatments of ceiling and walls - WIN!
carp and ambesolman like this.
post #753 of 757 Old 07-08-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
LOOKS EXCELLENT!

I'm glad you are liking the change! I can't believe you placed 78 tiles in just a few hours! (including cuttouts for lights HVAC vents, etc).

Talk about efficient...

I'm looking forward to checking out your space next time I come out to PA - which is likely going to be mid August. When the details are ironed out on our trip, I'll see when/if you are avail for a quick drop in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
OOOO Mid august eh?!?!
Hmm...something brewing??

Jonathan - Any idea on dates yet? I think the only things we have planned are a 1st bday party on the 16th and my sons party on the 23rd.
post #754 of 757 Old 07-08-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
LOOKS EXCELLENT!

I'm glad you are liking the change! I can't believe you placed 78 tiles in just a few hours! (including cuttouts for lights HVAC vents, etc).

Talk about efficient...

I'm looking forward to checking out your space next time I come out to PA - which is likely going to be mid August. When the details are ironed out on our trip, I'll see when/if you are avail for a quick drop in.
Dammit...going to juuuust miss you.
post #755 of 757 Old 07-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Jonathon, cool to see you will be coming back East. Would be nice to hear about your new house.

I was looking at real estate in KC at work yesterday. ..4 years until I can drop anchor and retire from tbe navy.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

post #756 of 757 Old Today, 09:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
With this in mind, I thought it might be fun to highlight some of the drastic changes in the room since inception - you should do the same!

After moving in - circa 2010 - 65" Mistu DLP, Black Raymour couches, yellow walls, Polk monitor and sub, etc.

Paint walls, build 'risers' for speaker stands. Install first projector, 120" jamestown screen, swap speakers for Deftech all around. Loved my first big screen.

Move to JTR Captivators - wow! Wish I had some pics of these handy.

Build new mains - DIYSG Sentinels and new subs - Dayton sealed 18s. Add basic wall and back sound treatments

Build AT screen and false wall - now we're getting serious!

Swap Sentinels for Yorkville U215 LCR

Add riser and cutout for equipment

Add black ceiling, grid, and full on treatments of ceiling and walls - WIN!
I had the unique pleasure of experiencing this incredible HT today. Thank you, Andrew!!! I can honestly say that I had the most *INTENSE* home theater experience I've ever had in an HT environment!

First, we listened to some Danley SH-50's supplied by forum member "klipsch." These were a stereo pair and we listened exclusively in 2-channel mode. These speakers provided excellent coverage of the entire room, with massive, (seemingly limitless), output capability. Nonetheless, I had a hard time finding a "sweet spot" where the imaging came together with the massive soundstage to provide a seamless and 3D frontal soundstage. We played around some with aiming and toe-in, and eventually found a placement that provided an excellent central image from the sweet spot. This ended up being a placement with L and R aimed to intersect in front of the primary listening position. Nonetheless, in that "sweet spot" the image came together and was exceptional. Outside of that
sweet spot" everything still sounded exceptional, but the imaging of sounds with the 3D space was lost, as well as placement of instruments and vocals in relation to each other. (Of couse, this is no different than virtually ALL other speaker systems in small rooms. Once you get out of the sweet spot, the imagining goes out the window.)

Next we replaced the Danley's with 'rilla's Yorkvilles. The first thing he put on was a Metallica concert... Into The Never. He cue'd up a song... I think it was called "One"... He cranked the volume to +15!!!

OM F'n G!!! I was FUC#@* BLOWN AWAY!!!

I am not a Metallica fan, but this was the most amazing thing I've ever seen or heard on a Home Theater system. I have NEVER tried to push my system to these extremes. In fact, I didn't know these extremes were even possible. I was literally laughing out loud, giggling like a schoolkid, while at the same time shaking my head at the INSANE levels we were listening to. I had to cover my ears it was so loud. But still, it was so clean and undistorted. The Bass was tactile... on a concrete floor without tactile transducers. The mid-bass had incredible PUNCH and KICK IN THE CHEST.

To be honest, this was more performance and output than I would ever want for my own Home Theater. I would never even personally demo my system at these kinds of levels. Nonetheless, it was interesting and REALLY fun to experience what a high output, high sensitivity system is capable of.

Thank you Andrew, (and klipsch!)!!! It was a great day and an eye/ear opening experience, to bee sure!!!

Craig
ambesolman likes this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #757 of 757 Old Today, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Hahaha. Rilla, you are something else. +15? Eight 18" Subs running hot?

Glad you enjoyed yourself Craig. It sounds like fun!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Roku Hd Player , Xbox 360 Console , Panamax , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts , Crown Nxls2000 0 Us Power Amplifier , Yorkville , Jbl Professional 8340 Cinema Surround Speaker , Basement Bar
Gear in this thread