AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Love that!

You say attached to the riser, have you decided where you will put it?

How about this. You could put that enclosure behind your back row, do you have room to build something similar to put behind your front row? I've wondered if it's possible to fit an enclosure behind my front row, it would have to be a design where the drivers face upward at more of a 45 degree angle for when the seats recline if that makes sense.

I can't remember how much room you have behind your front row to fit something in there though...
It's possible I could simply build 2 of these and put one behind each row, but that will push my first row 15+ inches closer to the screen, which might be undesirable. Another good alternative might be to build "end tables" on either side of the first row, which would fire directly into that space and would allow me to keep it in position, fully recline, etc without having to move it closer. Hmm. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 956 Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
It's possible I could simply build 2 of these and put one behind each row, but that will push my first row 15+ inches closer to the screen, which might be undesirable. Another good alternative might be to build "end tables" on either side of the first row, which would fire directly into that space and would allow me to keep it in position, fully recline, etc without having to move it closer. Hmm. Thoughts?
From experimenting with sub placement in my room I got much more feel from the subs when they were behind the seating than I did when I tried them as end tables but it could go differently in your room. Also I felt I could localize the bass much more when they were end tables.

15 inches forward huh.... that would probably mean you would need to raise up your back row some more? If not I would think that would be the way to go.

Still, you don't have cup holders or end tables right now right? It would be nice to have end tables and if the subs placed there aren't localized like they are in my room that would work well.

It will be interesting to see what works best in your room.
post #783 of 956 Old 07-15-2014, 09:26 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 882
I like the rear firing into the back of the chair idea better, and would still like to do this sometime....

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #784 of 956 Old 07-15-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
From experimenting with sub placement in my room I got much more feel from the subs when they were behind the seating than I did when I tried them as end tables but it could go differently in your room. Also I felt I could localize the bass much more when they were end tables.

15 inches forward huh.... that would probably mean you would need to raise up your back row some more? If not I would think that would be the way to go.

Still, you don't have cup holders or end tables right now right? It would be nice to have end tables and if the subs placed there aren't localized like they are in my room that would work well.

It will be interesting to see what works best in your room.
I use 'end table' subs in my living room which I can't localize at all assuming they are crossed over at 80hz or less. With the drivers side firing into the couch they work quite well. In fact it would be interesting to bring those subs downstairs to try out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I like the rear firing into the back of the chair idea better, and would still like to do this sometime....
I will definitely use the rear firing in the back row if I decide to build out this enclosure. I suppose I could easily try this same enclosure out in the front row to see how it could be positioned, etc.

Regardless, adding more subs will require me to make an amp decision: Do I stack all front subs on one peavey @ 2 ohms (which would free up one of my amps), or buy another peavey and run another 20-30amp line. Damn.
post #785 of 956 Old 07-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Hehe, I will circle back after trying the wiring configs. Hopefully tonight will be dragging the new lines and putting up the speaker grill cloth, tomorrow night is installing the new NAS system and moving the router to a better location in the house for improved wifi connecting, and then Thursday night is tying up any loose ends. I will run through some serious content to see what I get with both crest and peavey in the rack, but going to a single amp at 2 ohm will likely not keep you happy with powering 4 drivers per channel.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #786 of 956 Old 07-15-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Ok, so I got the amp installed. It's driving my L/R Triad Platinums. I did a quick level match and then re-watched some of the Metallica concert. I didn't push it too hard, (-3) and the gain indicators showed I had plenty of reserve power. It sounded pretty much the same as my Earthquake amp, but the clip indicators weren't lighting up like they were on the Earthquake. I'll play around with it more to see how much headroom it adds to my system.

Anyway, based on Carp's recommendation above, I watched Orion, and the "credits." About halfway through, I had to stop the credits and roll back to see something. Sure enough I saw that Tait Towers did all the stage animations and effects. Tait Towers is a local, Lititz, PA company, and I know Micheal Tait. My kids went to school with his kids. Here's their website: http://www.taittowers.com/ and their acknowledgement of their participation in the Metallic stages: http://www.taittowers.com/projects/metallica-3d So Tait did all those things that rose up out of the stage, and then came crashing down, all the pyrotechnics, etc.

They are currently working with Clair Brothers, a Pro Sound Company also in Lititz. (Roy Clair is the former mayor of Lititz,) http://clairglobal.com/ and Atomic Design, a design company headquartered in Lititz: http://www.atomicdesign.tv/ They're building an auditorium-sized building that will be a "staging" production facility. Bands will be able to come in and use the stage to rehearse their acts, with all the stage props, audio, video, lighting, animation, etc, all in one place. Here's an article about it: http://lancasteronline.com/business/...a4bcf6878.html

They also have a Tour "packaging" system that designs the transport of all the equipment from venue to venue. They are masters at tear-down, packaging, loading and unloading, all in a minimal amount of space and weight.

A friend of mine who works there told me they are currently working with Katy Perry for her next concert series.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool that a company from a small town, (Pop. 9,600), in the heart of Amish Country, PA was "credited" on the Metallica disk, and that I know some of the people who had a hand in the production of the concert.

Sorry for going off-topic in your thread Andrew, but I wanted to share that.

Craig
Reddig, ambesolman and NWCgrad like this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #787 of 956 Old 07-15-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very cool, Craig! I can only dream of the amount of firepower those guys get to play with!

Glad to hear you have the new amp up and running. I'm sure you will have a bit more on tap than you will need, but at least you certainly won't be amp limited any longer. I was driving all eight of my 18" Dayton subs with that amp down to mid single digits so it could be easily repurposed if you ever need it to.
post #788 of 956 Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

That is very interesting Craig - what a fun job those guys must have! Wow, I see they had a hand in the Olympic ceremonies.
post #789 of 956 Old 07-15-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Andrew - that's right, I 100% remember loving your subs in the living room as end tables and I couldn't localize them at all.
post #790 of 956 Old 07-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Bummed that I missed this, hopefully next time. Getting estimates to have my basement finished and then can concentrate on doing a new HT. Still completely undecided on what to buy but am tempted to keep my 8 18" CHT's and buy Danley sh-50 for LCR.

Decided to put together a decent 2 channel system in the family room. Damn "regular" speakers are expensive. Like 8-10K and then comes the integrated amp, DAC and a decent way to stream iTunes to my new system.

As far as Tait and Clair....sat next to one of the guys from Tait during one of my 18x seeing Roger Waters performing The Wall. Learned that Clair Audio does the sound and both are located right in Lancaster, small world for sure. So I get home from the one concert, call up Clair Audio (because the sound at the shows was INSANE) and ask if they do home HT. They are kind of thinking of getting into custom home theaters...so I say sign me up!! He said plan on at least 80K and maybe 100K. OK, so remove me from the list!!

Going to listen to Revel Studio2 on Friday for the upstairs system...
post #791 of 956 Old 07-17-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Andrew - that's right, I 100% remember loving your subs in the living room as end tables and I couldn't localize them at all.
Yeah, I've been pretty happy with the setup in there so far. I'm thinking about moving to a more powerful amp (maybe inuke6000DSP?) and swapping out to D4 woofs for a better impedance match with that amp. That won't be for a few months though as I've got plenty of 'wife tasks" to do before our son's 1st bday next month, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
Bummed that I missed this, hopefully next time. Getting estimates to have my basement finished and then can concentrate on doing a new HT. Still completely undecided on what to buy but am tempted to keep my 8 18" CHT's and buy Danley sh-50 for LCR.

Decided to put together a decent 2 channel system in the family room. Damn "regular" speakers are expensive. Like 8-10K and then comes the integrated amp, DAC and a decent way to stream iTunes to my new system.

As far as Tait and Clair....sat next to one of the guys from Tait during one of my 18x seeing Roger Waters performing The Wall. Learned that Clair Audio does the sound and both are located right in Lancaster, small world for sure. So I get home from the one concert, call up Clair Audio (because the sound at the shows was INSANE) and ask if they do home HT. They are kind of thinking of getting into custom home theaters...so I say sign me up!! He said plan on at least 80K and maybe 100K. OK, so remove me from the list!!

Going to listen to Revel Studio2 on Friday for the upstairs system...
John - Revels? 8-10K for 2 channel audio that streams itunes? Sorry, you seem to be lost. This is the DIY Section.

I would 100% keep your CHT18s for now. The Danleys would be an awesome move!

Last edited by Gorilla83; 07-17-2014 at 05:30 AM.
post #792 of 956 Old 07-17-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This last box I proposed for behind the rear row had one box with dual woofers. The issue with the dimensions here is that the panels are tall and long which consumed unnecessary lumber when it came to nesting the sheets for cutting. I'm thinking of doing two (or eventually more) boxes split up to make cutting more efficient. Proposed - 2 of these behind rear seats? This is also nice because I could play around with placement easier. Only downside is more external wiring, but not a huge deal.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front with dims.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	166018   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement box inside smaller size.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	166026  
popalock likes this.
post #793 of 956 Old 07-17-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Why not go all out (more than you already have) and put the subs in the riser firing upward underneath the seats?
post #794 of 956 Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
Why not go all out (more than you already have) and put the subs in the riser firing upward underneath the seats?
I've thought about this, but this essentially means I would have to rebuild the entire riser to the proper dimensions, internal cubic feet, add bracing, new carpet, etc. The current riser is built 12" on center with fiberglass insulation, 2x12 construction, double plywood decking, etc. That's a lot of work and money (this riser with carpet cost me 450-500ish already) for something I'm not certain I'd be pleased with the end result, right? I could build a couple of these boxes for under 200 (plus quite a bit of my time of course) and they could essentially be used anywhere.
post #795 of 956 Old 07-17-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
I use 'end table' subs in my living room which I can't localize at all assuming they are crossed over at 80hz or less. With the drivers side firing into the couch they work quite well. In fact it would be interesting to bring those subs downstairs to try out.

I will definitely use the rear firing in the back row if I decide to build out this enclosure. I suppose I could easily try this same enclosure out in the front row to see how it could be positioned, etc.

Regardless, adding more subs will require me to make an amp decision: Do I stack all front subs on one peavey @ 2 ohms (which would free up one of my amps), or buy another peavey and run another 20-30amp line. Damn.
what is your current electrical situation?
post #796 of 956 Old 07-17-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
what is your current electrical situation?
For the HT area: 3 X 20 amp lines, dedicated, 1 X 20 amp line shared (but nothing else on the line). I've already got plenty of 12-2 laying around to run another 20 should I decide to add another or two.

For the house: 2 X 200A panels.
post #797 of 956 Old 07-17-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
I've thought about this, but this essentially means I would have to rebuild the entire riser to the proper dimensions, internal cubic feet, add bracing, new carpet, etc. The current riser is built 12" on center with fiberglass insulation, 2x12 construction, double plywood decking, etc. That's a lot of work and money (this riser with carpet cost me 450-500ish already) for something I'm not certain I'd be pleased with the end result, right? I could build a couple of these boxes for under 200 (plus quite a bit of my time of course) and they could essentially be used anywhere.
I like your current solution. You could do less bracing and couple them to your riser, so you really beat up your back seat passengers. If you went that route, less bracing would mean more tactile transduction to that brick house of a riser you built.
post #798 of 956 Old 07-17-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
I like your current solution. You could do less bracing and couple them to your riser, so you really beat up your back seat passengers. If you went that route, less bracing would mean more tactile transduction to that brick house of a riser you built.

Cool, thanks for the input. I'm going to play around with these this weekend and time permitting cut one of these boxes as well as the 24 box for Mr. Sibuna.
post #799 of 956 Old 07-17-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry for the off topic Andrew but I know a lot of guys with SI's (including you) follow this thread plus I knew you wouldn't give a sh*t.

I'm having some "kids" that I used to coach over tomorrow and I need to go all out because a couple of them are into car audio. So, Jonathan let me borrow 2 of his inuke 6000's. I'm thinking I'll use one of them for my 215's and the other to power 4 of my subs and the cv 5000 will power the other 4.

My question is can I hurt my sub drivers? I'm thinking it will be about perfect but wanted to check.

Kevin is loaning me 2 of his crowsons so I'll have 3 of those, if all this doesn't impress at least I did all I could!
post #800 of 956 Old 07-17-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry for the off topic Andrew but I know a lot of guys with SI's (including you) follow this thread plus I knew you wouldn't give a sh*t.

I'm having some "kids" that I used to coach over tomorrow and I need to go all out because a couple of them are into car audio. So, Jonathan let me borrow 2 of his inuke 6000's. I'm thinking I'll use one of them for my 215's and the other to power 4 of my subs and the cv 5000 will power the other 4.

My question is can I hurt my sub drivers? I'm thinking it will be about perfect but wanted to check.

Kevin is loaning me 2 of his crowsons so I'll have 3 of those, if all this doesn't impress at least I did all I could!

Carp - that would be fine and ideal, assuming 2 subs per channel at 4 ohms. Why not run all the subs on the inuke and the mains on the CV? Ah, assuming you want the mains on eq?
post #801 of 956 Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:

i think the 215s would impress alone.
post #802 of 956 Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Carp - that would be fine and ideal, assuming 2 subs per channel at 4 ohms. Why not run all the subs on the inuke and the mains on the CV? Ah, assuming you want the mains on eq?
EQ is nice, but mainly it's bad hiss on the mains with the CV, actually the inuke 6000 has more hiss than the 3000 does - although I haven't had the mic2200 in the chain with the 3000 and I have it in the chain with the 6000 (so not sure yet if it's the 6000 or the 2200 that is causing the hiss). The hiss is greatly reduced when cranking up the gain to +20 on the mic 2200 and turning down the gain on the 6000 but it's still not nearly as quiet as the 3000 which I can't hear from my LP.

So, yep, 2 subs per channel. 4 total subs on the inuke 6000 and 4 subs total on the CV5000.

Also, I just got done doing some testing and sure enough, using the analog high pass filter on the behringer mic 2200 does NOT mess up the frequency response when running mains as large and subs together at the same time. Using a digital HPF with the inuke dsp threw the response into chaos.

Well, so much for having issues blending ported and sealed when using a HPF, it's a piece of cake with an analog HPF. Well, maybe not piece of cake, when I first got the 215's I did have to experiment with the distance settings for the subs using the minidsp to get everything to play nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
i think the 215s would impress alone.

I don't know, I've experienced some crazy car audio (what these guys are into) - I had a decent entry level system in my car years ago - and you just can't re-create that in a house. Personally I enjoy how bass sounds and the whole experience much better in home audio but it is a different animal for sure.
post #803 of 956 Old 07-18-2014, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Carp, you just answered your own question...lol. No matter what you do, you aren't going to blow a car audio guy away that is used to a 130-140-150db assult in a shoebox!

Regardless, I guarantee they will walk away impressed because your demo will be the first time they have experienced ANYTHING remotely close to car audio bass in a home environment.
Reefdvr27 likes this.
post #804 of 956 Old 07-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:

You can hurt them by clipping the power to em, so just make sure you have ample wattage and give em hell. They can take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Carp, you just answered your own question...lol. No matter what you do, you aren't going to blow a car audio guy away that is used to a 130-140-150db assult in a shoebox!

Regardless, I guarantee they will walk away impressed because your demo will be the first time they have experienced ANYTHING remotely close to car audio bass in a home environment.
Give em some of that uber low end stuff that they have never heard in a burp box car audio setup Austin acts like he couldn't get 130dB in his theater....POSH

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #805 of 956 Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #806 of 956 Old 07-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Just think in Doha Austin is going to have to make do with only two 24" subs. He will suffer from withdrawal...

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
post #807 of 956 Old 07-18-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Give em some of that uber low end stuff that they have never heard in a burp box car audio setup Austin acts like he couldn't get 130dB in his theater....POSH
Speaking of uber low stuff, make sure to spend time dialing in the Crawson's as I think that will surprise them the most! Don't even tell them what they are. Be sure to record their reactions!

Quote:
Austin's room IS like sitting in a burp box, lol.
C'mon guys... my old setup wasn't a one note wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Just think in Doha Austin is going to have to make do with only two 24" subs. He will suffer from withdrawal...
Man....less displacement...larger space...leasing vs owning. Yeah, I'm already feeling a bit claustrophobic just thinking about it.

I'll try to make due though.
post #808 of 956 Old 07-20-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fortunately I was able to cut a prototype for the rear enclosure today. Details:

I'll be powering with one channel with either my Peavey IPR7500 or Inuke6000 DSP.

Google sketchup, including dimensions:

Cuts and dry fitment:

Should be gluing her up in the next few days. Finishing will be duratex to match my other gear - I love that stuff!
carp, ambesolman and popalock like this.
post #809 of 956 Old 07-20-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looks great ... glad you finally made something audio related for yourself with the cnc
post #810 of 956 Old 07-20-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I'd be happy to let you cut mine on your CNC! You could could cut it and mail it off, should be there by the time I get back into town[emoji106]
Just so you have the plans...

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Roku Hd Player , Xbox 360 Console , Panamax , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts , Crown Nxls2000 0 Us Power Amplifier , Yorkville , Jbl Professional 8340 Cinema Surround Speaker , Basement Bar
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page