Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	193473  
carp likes this.

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 08-02-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 956 Old 08-02-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Setting up the 1099's
Awesome!
post #843 of 956 Old 08-02-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Triad Platinums
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	193705  

My System

post #844 of 956 Old 08-02-2014, 06:50 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Wishing I was along for the ride like last time. Crank some tunes for me in the jalopy, Austin!
No Beast and PL dance party this time....Darn.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Dedication = Getting up and going before 4 am on a Saturday!
Nope, that is an everyday occurrence for ole' PLock

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #845 of 956 Old 08-02-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

As usual Andrew put on a great event. I would like to say thank you for inviting me. It was also fun to finally see the CNC in action, seen it a couple of time before not running, but man, what an incredible tool.
Great hanging with all the guys and putting some new names and faces together. Beast, Chop and Jim were missed, but hopefully we can all do again soon.
When I was saying my goodbyes, Mike said man we always have a good time and he is right! It is always a blast I could do it every weekend.
Again a great day, good music, good eats and amazing bass. Also a nice little batch of speakers to listen to. Good times.

My System

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 08-03-2014 at 09:04 AM.
post #846 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Man, that is incredible! Great meshing with the mains even without EQ! Is all the measured at the second row?
Yes, from second row and my normal listening seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
That is without EQ? Da fuk? Nice work.
I was using a 4DB shelf (described below) so technically I did use some eq, but no other cuts/boosts. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post
What are the setting for the low end shelf? Was that to extend sub 20 Hz with the Amp? I have the same amp and would like to do the same.

Excellent job btw.
I actually use the minidsp for EQ and haven't used the DSP in the inuke just yet. L/T appied at 20hz, 0.5Q, 4DB boost.

post #847 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As usual Andrew put on a great event. I would like to say thank you for inviting me. It was also fun to finally see the CNC in action, seen it a couple of time before not running, but man, what an incredible tool.
Great hanging with all the guys and putting some new names and faces together. Beast and Jim were missed, but hopefully we can all do again soon.
When I was saying my goodbyes, Mike said man we always have a good time and he is right! It is always a blast I could do it every weekend.
Again a great day, good music, good eats and amazing bass. Also a nice little batch of speakers to listen to. Good times.
So I suppose I should do a quick summary of yesterday's activities.

Yesterday we gathered together in celebration of one of our good friends @popalock leaving for a two year stint overseas. I shot out sort of a last minute (a few weeks ago) email to our 'AVS crew' to gather interest and we had 9 or so guys come over to hang out, crank some tunes, and pound out some good ol' DIY projects. Maybe I'll start a thread in the DIY or speaker section, but here were the highlights:

-Dry fit and assembly of @Sibuna 's SI24 enclosure
-Home depot run for 9 sheets of ply @7am plus some extras
-Cut, sand, and dry fit 2 X popalock's SI24 boxes @ 9.5 cubes each (8 total sheets of plywood!)
-A little photoshoot session of my theater room by Mark @imagic (Thanks Mark!
-Listening to the Behringerr B215s, DIYSoundgroup Tux 1099s, Triad Platinums, DIYsoundgroup Volts (mainly outdoors), and my Yorkville U215s
-Later in the evening: firepit, beer, and cake

I will post the limited listening impressions I have later on. I'm hoping some of the guys share pictures from the day, it was a BLAST as usual!! Thanks to all who came out. I consider myself very fortunate for several reasons:
-a VERY understanding wife who permits me to host crazy events like this, on several occasions
-For having met a group group of fun guys who have become very good friends

Really missed not having our good buddies @beastaudio , @ChopShop1 , and @JimWilson as well as our KC buddies @Archaea and @carp there yesterday. See you guys next time?
Mfusick, carp and ambesolman like this.

Last edited by Gorilla83; 08-03-2014 at 06:10 AM.
post #848 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A few pictures from yesterday's extravaganza. Wish I had some moments to take a few more, but I felt like I was running all over the place yesterday. I know Sibuna (Adam) and Mark took quite a few so hopefully they will pick up my slack.

Mark (imagic) doing his thing!

Crazy lighting contraption

Left to right (popalock, Sibuna, reefdiver). Looks like Ben (rush2049) peeking in on the far left also.

Popa handling some bracing

Teamwork!

Cake for Austin

Enjoying some tasty treats

Cool scrap/leftover shot after cutting Austin's 8th sheet

Last edited by Gorilla83; 08-03-2014 at 06:09 AM.
post #849 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 657
HAHAH....who pushed Austin into the cake?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #850 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Looks like a great time!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #851 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like an awesome time!

What were the impressions of the 1099s?
post #852 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post

Me and Mark listed to them the most up stairs and were both in agreement of what we heard. I hate to critique a speaker because I don't want people to be offended and please don't be if you own these as this was just a plug and play test. They had no EQ, no treatments run right of the AVR with 4 18" subs. I thought they were pretty good, but with male vocals they seemed to get distorted and had a sibilance issue. Female vocals rolled off nice, drums sound good, but there was just something that I did not like about them, they had a strange soundstage. However we took them downstairs, but only for a short demo as I believe Matt had to leave. They sounded allot better, allot crisper. But I think we only did two songs, so not allot of time to really form an opinion. Certainly this was not a proper demo, just plug and play and have a listen. I am sure Mark will post his impressions later.

Now the Behringer 215s were something else. I really liked thee little guys. They sounded really good right out of the box. They are pretty bright, but I like a brighter speaker, so not a big issue for me. They pretty took everything we through at them. If you did not know what behind the screen, you would have been shocked when you seen it.

The Triads were a nice speaker, but a little to laid back for me. They really seemed pretty tame until you cranked on them. They seemed a bit flat for my taste, they really did not have the upper range sparkle I am used to with my 212's, but overall a nice speaker. They are built like a tank that is for sure, allot of quality in the build, but again a little to soft for me.

My System

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 08-03-2014 at 09:19 AM.
post #853 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Great hanging with all the guys and putting some new names and faces together. Beast and Jim were missed, but hopefully we can all do again soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Yesterday we gathered together in celebration of one of our good friends @popalock leaving for a two year stint overseas. I shot out sort of a last minute (a few weeks ago) email to our 'AVS crew' to gather interest and we had 9 or so guys come over to hang out, crank some tunes, and pound out some good ol' DIY projects.

Really missed not having our good buddies @beastaudio , @ChopShop1 , and @JimWilson as well as our KC buddies @Archaea and @carp there yesterday. See you guys next time?
Thanks for the shout out fella's. If there was any possibility to attend you know d@mn well I would have been there, but this working every Saturday (for 6 months!) has made doing anything like this pretty much a no-go. I should be done by mid-September though, so if you have something after that count me in.

Austin, I would have liked to wish you all the best in person but this will have to do I'm afraid. Try to have fun over there, in spite of the fact that you'll have to do it without the AVS crazies. We'll keep your seat warm and beer cold. See you in 2 years...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite

Last edited by JimWilson; 08-03-2014 at 09:06 AM.
post #854 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:

Because you want to congratulate them?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #855 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 09:09 AM
The Truth Hz

Looks like everything went fantastically! Sorry I couldn't make the haul this time...Can't wait to see the rest of the impressions and such to roll in! Mr Dubking doing his thing! Dare I saw HToM candidate?!?!?

post #856 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Me and Mark listed to them the most up stairs and were both in agreement of what we heard. I hate to critique a speaker because I don't want people to be offended and please don't be if you own these as this was just a plug and play test. They had no EQ, no treatments run right of the AVR with 4 18" subs. I thought they were pretty good, but with male vocals they seemed to get distorted and had a sibilance issue. Female vocals rolled off nice, drums sound good, but there was just something that I did not like about them, they had a strange soundstage. However we took them downstairs, but only for a short demo as I believe Matt had to leave. They sounded allot better, allot crisper. But I think we only did two songs, so not allot of time to really form an opinion. Certainly this was not a proper demo, just plug and play and have a listen. I am sure Mark will post his impressions later.
Thanks for your impressions! Got your 215s up and running yet?

Sorry I missed it!
post #857 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Dammit, you east coast guys have all of the fun .....lol
post #858 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Self inflicted! After he licked the remainder of the cake, I insisted he smash face first, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post

I really liked the 1099s from what I heard of them. After hearing so many speakers in my room I can usually decide quickly what I do like and what I don't. I started a thread for all pictures and impressions here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Looks like everything went fantastically! Sorry I couldn't make the haul this time...Can't wait to see the rest of the impressions and such to roll in! Mr Dubking doing his thing! Dare I saw HToM candidate?!?!?
Stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Dammit, you east coast guys have all of the fun .....lol
Flights over this way aren't too bad.

post #859 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All - I'm starting a GTG facebook page for anyone interested. Spread the word.

https://www.facebook.com/AVSGTG/info
Mfusick likes this.

post #860 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
All - I'm starting a GTG facebook page for anyone interested. Spread the word.

https://www.facebook.com/AVSGTG/info
Well done

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #861 of 956 Old 08-03-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Jonathan, did you notice Pop's t-shirt?

Cool to "see" some of you guys again, even if it's only in pictures.

post #862 of 956 Old 08-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Great time once again. This time no hard schedule. We all just did what we felt like doing.
Andrew's CNC was impressive. Very nicely integrated into his shop.

The theater has once again moved up a notch from the last GTG that I was present. Plenty of comfortable seating and enough bass to shake the whole house. I was outside watching the walls and light fixtures rattle.

As far as the speakers go, weren't a ton there but that made it easier to deal with logistically.

The Plats were especially clean and subdued sounding in Andrew's room. Very accurate. I was quite impressed... but then I am more of a 2 channel guy.

Mark (imagic) brought his Behringer 215's. They were quite impressive for the price... something like $250 each. Played loud and sound was pretty darn good.

I was grilling during the 1099's so didn't hear them.

The friggin Yorkvilles just blew us away. Listen to the reactions after the drum solo....

BTW Austin had a little help getting his "impression" of the cake..... hand on the back of his head
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140802_132126.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	196089   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140802_133513.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	196097  

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."

Last edited by mhrischuk; 08-04-2014 at 06:29 AM.
post #863 of 956 Old 08-04-2014, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Haha, I got a good laugh when he first rolled up in that shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post
Great time once again. This time no hard schedule. We all just did what we felt like doing.
Andrew's CNC was impressive. Very nicely integrated into his shop.
http://youtu.be/IWOzkrk1PF0

The theater has once again moved up a notch from the last GTG that I was present. Plenty of comfortable seating and enough bass to shake the whole house. I was outside watching the walls and light fixtures rattle.
http://youtu.be/u19FpS9h0Fk

As far as the speakers go, weren't a ton there but that made it easier to deal with logistically.

The Plats were especially clean and subdued sounding in Andrew's room. Very accurate. I was quite impressed... but then I am more of a 2 channel guy.

Mark (imagic) brought his Behringer 215's. They were quite impressive for the price... something like $250 each. Played loud and sound was pretty darn good.

I was grilling during the 1099's so didn't hear them.

The friggin Yorkvilles just blew us away. Listen to the reactions after the drum solo....
http://youtu.be/yoeLS2EBrWg

BTW Austin had a little help getting his "impression" of the cake..... hand on the back of his head
Thanks for sharing the vids, Mike! I will post them in the results thread if you don't mind.

post #864 of 956 Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Haha, I got a good laugh when he first rolled up in that shirt.

Thanks for sharing the vids, Mike! I will post them in the results thread if you don't mind.
Do it!

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #865 of 956 Old 08-04-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

haa, not until you pointed it out.

Austin, you gonna be breaking some arms in Qarat? Representing?!?

post #866 of 956 Old 08-04-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post
http://youtu.be/u19FpS9h0Fk

In the words of your G2G host

"Build it Stronger!"
Gorilla83 likes this.

post #867 of 956 Old 08-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
haa, not until you pointed it out.

Austin, you gonna be breaking some arms in Qarat? Representing?!?
I challenged Austin to a match, but he thought he would rip my scawny arm clear off my body.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #868 of 956 Old 08-06-2014, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Big thanks to @imagic for featuring my hoopdie of a theater this month.

HT of the Month: Humble Hangout

post #869 of 956 Old 08-06-2014, 06:21 AM
The Truth Hz

I think it is "OK" to stop considering it a "Humble" hangout at this point It is far from it at this point homey! Definitely not an Erskine theater, but definitely not humble...
ambesolman and Gorilla83 like this.

post #870 of 956 Old 08-06-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Congrats!
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Roku Hd Player , Xbox 360 Console , Panamax , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts , Crown Nxls2000 0 Us Power Amplifier , Yorkville , Jbl Professional 8340 Cinema Surround Speaker , Basement Bar
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page