post #61 of 956 Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

So let me get this straight. You have two of these beasts now. You plan on getting 2 more, plus that monster amp? Wow, I mean Wow. I can imagine what 4 of those with a ton of power will do in your room.

I think Andrew's been hanging around Jeff too long... tongue.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 956 Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I think Andrew's been hanging around Jeff too long... tongue.gif

Actually I blame Austin (popalock). He and I have been communicating (scheming) quite a bit over the past few weeks. Wait until you see/read about his upcoming setup. biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #63 of 956 Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Actually I blame Austin (popalock). He and I have been communicating (scheming) quite a bit over the past few weeks. Wait until you see/read about his upcoming setup. biggrin.gif

Oh boy, am I going to have to separate you two? smile.gif

post #64 of 956 Old 12-07-2012, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I might have to include myself in next years GTG since missing the last one and it looked to be a great opportunity to hear some nice stuff.

Those subs look like they are punishing that room and 2 more might bring it down lol!!!

Fun stuff!!!
post #65 of 956 Old 12-07-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

I might have to include myself in next years GTG since missing the last one and it looked to be a great opportunity to hear some nice stuff.

So long as you bring beer you're welcome! biggrin.gif

post #66 of 956 Old 12-08-2012, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Gorilla, great setup.

Sorry if I missed this but how high are your ceilings?
post #67 of 956 Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbois View Post

Hi Gorilla, great setup.
Sorry if I missed this but how high are your ceilings?

The drop ceiling is right at 8 feet in my basement. The actual joists are at 9 feet though.

post #68 of 956 Old 12-11-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updates: Finishing up with box #3 at the moment. Box #4 will be a leftover from this weekend's GTG thanks to my buddy Popalock. Finishing for that box to occur next week.

The new amp came in last night, so I'll be ready for the next 4 drivers when my bank account permits, LOL.

Side note - I watched Art of Flight for the first time on my setup last night. HOLY ****. Incredible eye candy and sound. I've read the rave reviews on here and elsewhere and figured it was another over hyped product but I was wrong. Highly recommended if you haven't tried it at home.

post #69 of 956 Old 12-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Looks AWESOME Andrew. I'm jealous!

I'm penciling in the GTG as soon as the dates are announced.

John
post #70 of 956 Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:

Side note - I watched Art of Flight for the first time on my setup last night. HOLY ****. Incredible eye candy and sound. I've read the rave reviews on here and elsewhere and figured it was another over hyped product but I was wrong. Highly recommended if you haven't tried it at home.

If I only have time to demo one piece, that is the one I use. The music and sound and picture are first rate.

R 8:28

post #71 of 956 Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

Looks AWESOME Andrew. I'm jealous!
I'm penciling in the GTG as soon as the dates are announced.
John

Thanks John. Stop by one of these days!
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

If I only have time to demo one piece, that is the one I use. The music and sound and picture are first rate.

Agreed, I'm impressed. This will be my go-to disc for those wanting to check out the projector. cool.gif

post #72 of 956 Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Spent a couple minutes playing with eq and the new amp -

post #73 of 956 Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Spent a couple minutes playing with eq and the new amp

6Hz. From a pair of them. And you're building two more? There is something very wrong with you my friend... biggrin.gif

post #74 of 956 Old 12-14-2012, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

6Hz. From a pair of them. And you're building two more? There is something very wrong with you my friend... biggrin.gif
Yea but look at how much they dip below that tongue.gif. I know I am probably flat to below 10Hz but I don't know how low I really go because my charts end at 15hz and they are flat to that. But in an older chart that Mark did I was flat to about 7Hz, But that is just plain silly.

It ain't easy being green.

post #75 of 956 Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea but look at how much they dip below that tongue.gif. I know I am probably flat to below 10Hz but I don't know how low I really go because my charts end at 15hz and they are flat to that. But in an older chart that Mark did I was flat to about 7Hz, But that is just plain silly.

7Hz, that's it?!? What a whimpy system you have. You need to get something that goes to at least 6Hz... tongue.gif

Seeing as how they're done -- and obviously working quite well -- we need to help Andrew come up with a name for these beasties, so I'll throw out the first few suggestions:

• Disemboweler
  • Annihilator
  • The Divorcer
  • Executioner
  • Spleen Wrecker
  • Demolisher
  • Room Ransacker
  • Foundation Floater

post #76 of 956 Old 12-14-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Haha, I like The Divorcer. You are really sending a message to the wife if you tell her you are getting ready to build a sub named that.

post #77 of 956 Old 12-14-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

7Hz, that's it?!? What a whimpy system you have. You need to get something that goes to at least 6Hz... tongue.gif
Seeing as how they're done -- and obviously working quite well -- we need to help Andrew come up with a name for these beasties, so I'll throw out the first few suggestions:
  • Disemboweler
  • Annihilator
  • The Divorcer
  • Executioner
  • Spleen Wrecker
  • Demolisher
  • Room Ransacker
  • Foundation Floater
Well, unlike many here, I only have one sub smile.gif. But I do have a Crowson transducer system that goes below 6Hz so at least I have that going for me biggrin.gif
Like your names BTW, especially 1 and 5.

It ain't easy being green.

post #78 of 956 Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Building built. biggrin.gif Still need to order the drivers and finish (prime/paint) the 4th box, but they are pretty much done now. Austin built the 4th box for use in testing in tomorrow's GTG, but he built a clone of my other boxes so I'm going to use that as #4.
Quote:

The combination of components in my signal chain apparently are producing a rolloff at right around 6hz. From what I've seen on here this is very normal. This won't change by adding more subs, etc. My omnimic is only calibrated to 5hz anyway. tongue.gif
Quote:

• Disemboweler
  • Annihilator
  • The Divorcer
  • Executioner
  • Spleen Wrecker
  • Demolisher
  • Room Ransacker
  • Foundation Floater

LOL @ the Diverocer and the Disembowler. None of those names sound pleasant, I like it. biggrin.gif

post #79 of 956 Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 276
"brown note" also fits

cant wait until tomorrow

post #80 of 956 Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Add a silver stripe on the back of the cabinet and call the sub the "Silverback." lol. You are Gorilla after all cool.gif

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #81 of 956 Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks man! Yes, the room is indeed 44 feet long so it's quite a space to fill. As you can imagine, bass is sucked up pretty easily. Right now I'm sitting about 18 feet back, but may be moving the primary seating up a few feet.
The gym is actually 2 separate rooms - the other room has mostly accessory and cardio equipment. As a powerlifer, unfortunately I'm forced to keep up with squatting, ugh. It's fun most of the time but it sure takes its toll with age.

Fellow powerlifter. Haven't competed in a while, but the burn still exists. Nice setup.

Robert

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine....Must it be? It must be!

post #82 of 956 Old 12-15-2012, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Impressive as always!!!

My vote is for the 1 and 2 options lol!!!
post #83 of 956 Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Add a silver stripe on the back of the cabinet and call the sub the "Silverback." lol. You are Gorilla after all cool.gif
Excellent! biggrin.gif

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #84 of 956 Old 12-16-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Impressive as always!!!
My vote is for the 1 and 2 options lol!!!

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

"brown note" also fits
cant wait until tomorrow

Hope you enjoyed the debut yesterday. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

HAHAHA! I think we have a winner! biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcharles View Post

Fellow powerlifter. Haven't competed in a while, but the burn still exists. Nice setup.
Robert

Robert - Nice! What fed(s) did you compete in? I've been mostly UPA and APA lately. I believe you about the burn. frown.gif

Thanks for the complements.

post #85 of 956 Old 12-16-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jim - at yesterday's mini-GTG we did some measurements with 1 box. Both the single dual opposed dayton enclosure and single LMS hit 6hz in my room. biggrin.gif

post #86 of 956 Old 12-16-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jim - at yesterday's mini-GTG we did some measurements with 1 box. Both the single dual opposed dayton enclosure and single LMS hit 6hz in my room. biggrin.gif

Show off. tongue.gif

Was that measured with the same mic that isn't calibrated for anything below 5Hz? Is it possible with the hefty room gain you're getting that there's actually usable output below that?

post #87 of 956 Old 12-16-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Show off. tongue.gif
Was that measured with the same mic that isn't calibrated for anything below 5Hz? Is it possible with the hefty room gain you're getting that there's actually usable output below that?

Yes and maybe although I'm not sure how much can be noticed at that point. tongue.gif

post #88 of 956 Old 12-16-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes and maybe although I'm not sure how much can be noticed at that point. tongue.gif

Yea, I was thinking about that after my post; is there really anything that has audio information below 5Hz? I doubt it, so perhaps you're set for now. By 'for now' I mean until you get the next wild idea that pops into your head... biggrin.gif

post #89 of 956 Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So Box #3 is ready for the drivers and Box #4 is in the finishing stages. Austin (popalock) actually constructed the last box for use in yesterday's GTG. He had been attempting to procure 2 of the new SI 18's but unfortunately those did not get to us in time for the test. The good news is that he built it to my specs so that I could use it after the day was done. Thanks Austin! biggrin.gif The next 4 drivers were ordered yesterday morning. I'm hoping to have these boxes finished, alive, and kicking in another 7-10 days. Update: Just got shipping confirmation from PE, woot! They showed out of stock right after I ordered so maybe I got the last batch? smile.gif

Last night I started on the finishing process. The roundovers are done, and I've started sanding and filling in some voids that were present on the edges.

post #90 of 956 Old 12-17-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Sorry to see you leave the JTR family as I just became a member, but love your build. I bet it sounds awesome.

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Roku Hd Player , Xbox 360 Console , Panamax , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts , Crown Nxls2000 0 Us Power Amplifier , Yorkville , Jbl Professional 8340 Cinema Surround Speaker , Basement Bar
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page