Gorilla83's Humble Basement Hangout - Page 30 - AVS Forum
First ... 28  29  30 31  32  ... Last
What's Your System Configuration > Gorilla83's Humble Basement Hangout
blah450's Avatar blah450 10:31 AM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Big thanks to @imagic for featuring my hoopdie of a theater this month.

HT of the Month: Humble Hangout
Yee-hah! Congrats, sir!!

Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 05:52 AM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I think it is "OK" to stop considering it a "Humble" hangout at this point It is far from it at this point homey! Definitely not an Erskine theater, but definitely not humble...
Meh, it's still always a work in progress to me. Always evolving and striving for improvement. I don't think I'd every be happy doing a build from scratch and leaving it alone for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post
Yee-hah! Congrats, sir!!
Thanks guys!
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 07:57 AM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Meh, it's still always a work in progress to me. Always evolving and striving for improvement. I don't think I'd every be happy doing a build from scratch and leaving it alone for years.
I think we both know that is not in the cards for either one of us. The good news I guess is at this point I don't know what I would want to get rid of, so I guess it is just "add-ons" at this point...
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 05:31 PM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Meh, it's still always a work in progress to me. Always evolving and striving for improvement. I don't think I'd every be happy doing a build from scratch and leaving it alone for years.
I am sure you have thought about it, but did you ever think about putting a wall up to close your room in?
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 07:13 AM 08-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I am sure you have thought about it, but did you ever think about putting a wall up to close you room in?
I have thought of many different arrangements, including putting a wall by the bar or behind the bar. Truth be told, I love using the room for hosting parties (and GTGs!) and football events and the way it's set up now is perfect for that.
Skylinestar's Avatar Skylinestar 12:22 AM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Some quick/dirty sweeps before EQ/distance settings/phase:
Full range sweep, back row (used to have big nulls before all treatments) 1/24 smoothing
Why is there a high frequency roll off after 10KHz? X-curve? Did you eq it that way? How does it sound in movies? Is the high attenuation a lot? Did you miss the highs?
popalock's Avatar popalock 02:05 AM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Why is there a high frequency roll off after 10KHz? X-curve? Did you eq it that way? How does it sound in movies? Is the high attenuation a lot? Did you miss the highs?
Ha, looking at that graph makes me smirk. When we were rocking Andrew's system a few weeks ago I didn't notice any top end attenuation. Just looking at that graph I too would be like "WTF is going on," especially because I am a fan of brighter sound, but I didn't notice during our in room listening session...

and I'm Level 13 Golden Ear certified...


Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 04:14 AM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Why is there a high frequency roll off after 10KHz? X-curve? Did you eq it that way? How does it sound in movies? Is the high attenuation a lot? Did you miss the highs?
A small percentage of that is attributed to my screen, but most of it is the characteristics of my room and the location of the measurement. Possibly has something to do with the couch about a foot back from the mic as well. There is no EQ applied at all. The rolloff is not as severe in the front row and honestly not something I felt was 'missing' anywhere in the room. I wouldn't change anything with the sound right now.
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 07:42 AM 08-12-2014
Also keep in mind that this is an omnimic sweep where the OM can be hit or miss on the top due to any number of reasons. Grazing angle, the couch as Andrew suggested catching some reflection, etc. I feel like I wear this out, but take a look at the freq. spectrum used in almost all of your everyday instruments:



Above 10khz the content is getting thin, above 16khz, there literally is nothing left. I know sound effects and such can be different, but they still abide by the same concepts.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 11:35 AM 08-12-2014
I can't even hear 19khz, I got tested by an ear nose throat specialist on a professional consult. Most males over 30 can't, and any of us gear heads that formerly were into car audio, live music, etc... Are likely to have a little top end degradation.
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 11:54 AM 08-12-2014
See, I tested comfortably to 22khz. But I have trouble thinking that true content that high is in high demand, or rather, high production.
popalock's Avatar popalock 03:21 PM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
A small percentage of that is attributed to my screen, but most of it is the characteristics of my room and the location of the measurement. Possibly has something to do with the couch about a foot back from the mic as well. There is no EQ applied at all. The rolloff is not as severe in the front row and honestly not something I felt was 'missing' anywhere in the room. I wouldn't change anything with the sound right now.
Oh, wait... I remember what was missing now.

I suddenly recall there was a distinct lack of "air."

Plenty of foundation cracking creaminess, but air was lacking.
carp's Avatar carp 05:23 PM 08-12-2014
Any slight movements with the omnimic will give drastic changes above 10k to 20k. An inch in any direction and the graph would look much different above 10k on Gorilla's graph.
NWCgrad's Avatar NWCgrad 07:04 PM 08-12-2014
^^^With REW I see a lot of variability in measurements above 10k, absolutely drives me nuts. Have tried different mics and still see the same variability even when repeating a measurement without making any changes.
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 08:15 PM 08-12-2014
Meh, emphasis for analyzing the 10hz region > 10k HZ anyway.
eyeage30's Avatar eyeage30 10:03 PM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Meh, emphasis for analyzing the 10hz region > 10k HZ anyway.
What are the dimensions of this room? Its awesome btw.
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 05:56 AM 08-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeage30 View Post
What are the dimensions of this room? Its awesome btw.
Thank you.

Dimensions from first post:

Viewing area: (open) 13x22
Bar area: 19x22
Hallway: 5x20
mhrischuk's Avatar mhrischuk 06:11 AM 08-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I can't even hear 19khz, I got tested by an ear nose throat specialist on a professional consult. Most males over 30 can't, and any of us gear heads that formerly were into car audio, live music, etc... Are likely to have a little top end degradation.
Most companies test employees, not for the employees benefit, but for a baseline in case of legal actions. Most results are indicative of hearing loss.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 11:20 AM 08-14-2014
I start to really drop in hearing about 17,500hz I think. You can test this online yourself with a nice pair of ear phones. Just validate someone else can hear it, (like a kid or a woman who typically can). My wife could hear it fine, but I could not at 19khz. At 18khz I can just a little bit hear, but it's very reduced. 16khz I can hear.
mhrischuk's Avatar mhrischuk 11:25 AM 08-14-2014
There are cell phone apps that play tones to check your ears.
Sibuna's Avatar Sibuna 05:18 PM 08-15-2014
are you running audessey? i cant remember, but one of the modes it selects cuts the HF sooner then the other ones (thx music or movies IIRC) not that its really an issue for you TBH as it sounds fantastic in there
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 02:14 PM 08-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
are you running audessey? i cant remember, but one of the modes it selects cuts the HF sooner then the other ones (thx music or movies IIRC) not that its really an issue for you TBH as it sounds fantastic in there
The "movie" or just plain ole audyssey rolls the top end off. The "Flat" (Denon/Marantz) or "Music" (Onkyo/Integra) preserves the top end and leaves it alone. The A-T material would only make a VERY minimal difference here. Think about 1.5dB at 20khz
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 02:23 PM 08-18-2014
In my experience Auddy has always wanted to boost the @#@# out of the high end. For my measurement above though it was 99% likely due to mic positioning and nothing else.
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 06:22 AM 08-19-2014
Update: Projector upgrade is underway! Supposed to arrive tomorrow sometime, although I may miss the delivery attempt due to required signatures, bah. We shall see.
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 06:48 AM 08-19-2014
Congrats! What did you end up going with?
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 11:44 AM 08-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Congrats! What did you end up going with?
I'm going with the Sony VPL-HW55ES. I was very interested in this model as well as the JVC RS46, RS49/4910. In short, I would have been very happy with either of them.
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 11:50 AM 08-19-2014
Wow. Nice choice!

Now you can dump that ol' powerpoint projector for the real deal.

jk
klipsch's Avatar klipsch 12:14 PM 08-19-2014
Sounds like fun ... getting any 3D glasses?

Through the Never was shot as a "real 3D" and is not that fake 3D crap ... so now you can have the ultimate experience of "One"
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 12:17 PM 08-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Wow. Nice choice!

Now you can dump that ol' powerpoint projector for the real deal.

jk
Haha, yeah buddy! In all seriousness, I'm really hoping the Sony will be a significant upgrade in all areas over my 8700. The reviews I've read have very good things to say so hopefully my expectations aren't set too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
Sounds like fun ... getting any 3D glasses?

Through the Never was shot as a "real 3D" and is not that fake 3D crap ... so now you can have the ultimate experience of "One"
This model comes with 2 of the standard Sony glasses, so yes definitely looking forward to playing around with it. Through the never was the first demo that comes to mind I think of a 3d demo.
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 12:25 PM 08-19-2014
It is probably one of the best <$4,000 projectors (new) on the market. Should be a nice upgrade from the 8700 which ain't bad either.

Is there something in particular that you want improved over your Epson that you are looking to upgrade?
Tags: Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Roku Hd Player , Xbox 360 Console , Panamax , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts , Crown Nxls2000 0 Us Power Amplifier , Yorkville , Jbl Professional 8340 Cinema Surround Speaker , Basement Bar
First ... 28  29  30 31  32  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop