post #931 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Damn, very sorry to hear that Dave. Like any consumable in life though, it can be fixed and repaired with just a little time. At the least cut a hole where the source of the water is to allow it to drain and to inspect for moisture.
Thanks man, sorry to drag this in your thread, but I needed to vent somewhere. I needed a humble place to come I am trying to be humble about it. The good thing is that the ceiling really needed another coat of black as it is very difficult to roll jet black paint as it leaves roller marks. It turned out pretty good, but really could use another coat and I also got some advise how to do it better. I think I am going to strip the room and paint the whole room over again. Arggggh. The thing that really sucks is this is quiet rock. $50 bucks a sheet. I am hoping I can even get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Ditto...sometime I am going to have get down your way to see the JVC and hear your Danley's. The ones you brought the popalocks were pretty killer, and the fact you like these even more is intriguing.
Anytime man! Always love a good demo. I blew another audiophile's mind this week. He came in all talk, "Why in the world would you need speaker this big, and 8 subwoofers?" He left humbled. The AVS community understands excess better than any other group I have ever met...Short of, if I had to guess, crack heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Thanks man, sorry to drag this in your thread, but I needed to vent somewhere. I needed a humble place to come I am trying to be humble about it. The good thing is that the ceiling really needed another coat of black as it is very difficult to roll jet black paint as it leaves roller marks. It turned out pretty good, but really could use another coat and I also got some advise how to do it better. I think I am going to strip the room and paint the whole room over again. Arggggh. The thing that really sucks is this is quiet rock. $50 bucks a sheet. I am hoping I can even get it.
This time around, go to Lowes, buy you the wagner electric HVLP sprayer, tape off your room and spray it. I did that for the theater, and while it is a pain and very time consuming to tape everything completely off, you get the most amazingly smooth and seamless paint job that is impossible to recreate via roller or brush. Once the taping is done, you toss several coats on in one evening and you are done. It takes less paint, goes WAY faster (after the taping off) and looks absolutely incredible...
NWCgrad likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #933 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Oh and if you need pointers on the spraying process, gimme a shout. It is pretty easy, you just have to cut the paint with purified water to thin it out a bit and you are good to go.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #934 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Dave, sucks big time about the water leak. Sitting down with a cup coffee was about the best reaction. Mine probably would have more ballistic.

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
post #935 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 460
That blows. I feel your pain about water leaks though. We have an old 60s ranch that leaked around the chimney causing a mold problem. Got the chimney reflashed and mold taken care of, my buddy replaced and mudded the ceiling...an expensive nightmare.
Then during a few heavy rains we started having water dripping into our den around a big bay window and even coming out of a knot hole in the wall (pine paneling) that ran down into the cabinet with all the DVDs. My neighbor helped me angle my gutters better above the window since they weren't draining right, and no problems since *knock on wood*
I hate it for ya, but you'll get it straight.
post #936 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Dave, sucks big time about the water leak. Sitting down with a cup coffee was about the best reaction. Mine probably would have more ballistic.
Yeah there was no sense going crazy. My heart actually sank. My wife was crying, so it was more a sad thing to wake up to. I just gotta get focused and start over, judging by the news, some people had some major flooding in their homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Oh and if you need pointers on the spraying process, gimme a shout. It is pretty easy, you just have to cut the paint with purified water to thin it out a bit and you are good to go.
Thanks for the advise. I had talked to someone last week about spraying the ceiling out. I also got a tip to add water to the paint for rolling. It will keep it from drying so fast. One of the problems I was having was that it was drying so fast that by the time I dunked the roller for some paint, my last path was already dry. I am so bummed out. I was so close. Now I have to strip the room which took me two days to do all the trim work, wall plates etc. I will look at spraying it. I am even considering ripping out the rock and going back to a drop ceiling. My head is also flooded this morning.
post #937 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
That blows. I feel your pain about water leaks though. We have an old 60s ranch that leaked around the chimney causing a mold problem. Got the chimney reflashed and mold taken care of, my buddy replaced and mudded the ceiling...an expensive nightmare.
Then during a few heavy rains we started having water dripping into our den around a big bay window and even coming out of a knot hole in the wall (pine paneling) that ran down into the cabinet with all the DVDs. My neighbor helped me angle my gutters better above the window since they weren't draining right, and no problems since *knock on wood*
I hate it for ya, but you'll get it straight.
I am not getting upset over it. I know people have had it worse. The only thing is I was so excited to finally have the room done. I have been through so much aggravation over the last year, not to mention that I put a complete new roof on even down to the plywood over the theater and all I did was chase the leak higher. My worst fear was putting the sheetrock on the ceiling knowing there was a problem, I thought it was fixed and in the end it came back and bit me. The last thing I needed was a 4" rain storm till the roofer got here and sure enough we get hit with a freak T storm with 4" of rain in an hour.
post #938 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

The roofer gave you a warranty didn't he? I figured he'd be liable for the repairs. You'll still have a PITA to deal with but maybe no more money out of your pocket?
post #939 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
The roofer gave you a warranty didn't he? I figured he'd be liable for the repairs. You'll still have a PITA to deal with but maybe no more money out of your pocket?
That guy sucked. I called him back in March and he wanted to give me a discount and free shingles. He wanted 2K to shingle the roof and patch it. I did the whole roof, with plywood and shingles and rain and ice shield for $1200. However I cannot gloat about that because I am still screwed, but I would not have been better off. It is just unfortant that the roofer I hired yesterday did not get here in time to fix it. Just a freak storm at a bad time.

Here are some pics. The rock is not wet, just the joints i.e. Tape and mud joints. Nothing is wet wet and no water is visible or dripping. I called a contractor that I can trust and he said considering I used Roxul and quiet rock I may be alright. We can probably just retape it. Man it is funny how 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint peeled right off. I may peal the whole ceiling. I have a fan drying the roof and I am going up above to see what I can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2128.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	224065   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2129.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	224073   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2130.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	224081  

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 08-22-2014 at 11:01 AM.
post #940 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Man that sucks Dave, sorry to hear about the roof!
post #941 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 409
That really sux Dave. I'm very sorry to hear about that!

Quote:
I found the leak in the room in front of the theater room last week. I noticed a small wet spot on the ceiling and went up to investigate and everything above in the attic was dry?
I did roofing for a few years and one thing I learned from my experience is that water is an insidious foe. Rarely will the source of the leak and its exit into the living area be near each other. You have to learn how the stuff travels, which isn't as simple as most people think. I did a lot of leak detection in my time and more than once it turned out to be quite an ordeal to trace back the source.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #942 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Kinda like an underground severed landscape lighting wire. I remember tracing close to a 500 foot run one time trying to find where it was cut. That was probably one of the worst work days of my life. You get better at dissecting the possible areas of incidence after some time, but it never gets completely better. I'll take HT wire that is mostly readily accessible over that any day of the week...

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #943 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Dave, you really have my respect for not getting upset - I couldn't do that. Way to take it in stride man....

When I throw a fit about something like this happening I need to remind myself that I need to be happy that my family is healthy and happy and then I finally calm down. Sounds like you are much less of a cry baby than I am.
post #944 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Dave, you really have my respect for not getting upset - I couldn't do that. Way to take it in stride man....

When I throw a fit about something like this happening I need to remind myself that I need to be happy that my family is healthy and happy and then I finally calm down. Sounds like you are much less of a cry baby than I am.
Sounds to me like you need to just have a cup o joe like Dave did and ponder life and all its complexities next time you have an issue. Water works too, or juice, or an ice cold beverage of your choice. Mine right now seems to be miller lite You are in the throes of a new school year right now Sheldon, how is that going so far? My mother has been a teacher for 30 years now so I can understand the stress elevation for you when after a difficult day, something ends up not going right at home. I respect teacher's resolve and patience more than any other profession I know of, and that is putting it lightly...

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #945 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sounds to me like you need to just have a cup o joe like Dave did and ponder life and all its complexities next time you have an issue. Water works too, or juice, or an ice cold beverage of your choice. Mine right now seems to be miller lite You are in the throes of a new school year right now Sheldon, how is that going so far? My mother has been a teacher for 30 years now so I can understand the stress elevation for you when after a difficult day, something ends up not going right at home. I respect teacher's resolve and patience more than any other profession I know of, and that is putting it lightly...
Yeah you are right... I typically throw a hissy fit and then I'm done and back to normal. Character flaw for sure....

Things are good. I spent my first 15 years teaching 9th graders and then last year the buildings re-aligned and I taugh 7th and 8th graders. I hated it at first, but I'm getting used to it. What is great about this year is that I had all the 8th graders last year so they are already "broken in". Student break in is real (haha).

To give you an idea of how much harder my broken in kids try, we just had our Pacer test. This is the fitness test where you run back and forth in the gym from line to line (20 meters apart) every time the beep sounds on the CD. The beeps get faster and faster and you keep going until you can't go anymore. The 8th graders did GREAT. I had 21 8th graders run 83 laps or more which is above the highest category of fitness. The best ran 121.

For the 7th graders which are new to me only 6 kids ran 70 laps or more which for them is the highest category of fitness. The best 7th grader ran 81 laps.

So.... once again a lot of work to be done to brain wash the 7th graders into buying into working hard in PE and to try to get into better shape. It will happen, it always does but it's always hard work. I don't run the typical roll the ball out PE class. Sure we play games too but the class overall is very demanding.
post #946 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Man that sucks Dave, sorry to hear about the roof!
Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
That really sux Dave. I'm very sorry to hear about that!

I did roofing for a few years and one thing I learned from my experience is that water is an insidious foe. Rarely will the source of the leak and its exit into the living area be near each other. You have to learn how the stuff travels, which isn't as simple as most people think. I did a lot of leak detection in my time and more than once it turned out to be quite an ordeal to trace back the source.
Well I found the source and I know now why I never found it. It is running down the truss or joist what ever you want to call it. However I do have a truss roof. The farkin water has been running down the center of joist and falling off each side which is why it is in multiple rooms. The end of the truss actually butts up to my theater room. So the water just ran down the truss last night and ran into the room. There is also a transition onto my theater roof which I thought was the problem, but it is higher. Kinda hard to explain, but long story short, I got freakin water on my sheetrock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I had a deep feeling that this was going to happen. I knew there was a problem, but I did not think it would escalate like this. Like I said earlier, I was more bummed out than anything. I have wanted this theater so bad it is almost child like excitement. I was just about done. I am sooooo happy it happened now and I caught it before the nice carpet was installed and not to mention any water damage to the electronics, chairs or worst yet the 215's I can guarantee you that if this would have happened after I was completely finished and set up, I would have had to pull a Chris Farley on the people that helped me and screwed this all up.

popalock likes this.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 08-22-2014 at 04:44 PM.
post #947 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha, I never saw that skit that was great!
post #948 of 956 Old 08-22-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I found the source and I know now why I never found it. It is running down the truss or joist what ever you want to call it. However I do have a truss roof. The farkin water has been running down the center of joist and falling off each side which is why it is in multiple rooms. The end of the truss actually butts up to my theater room. So the water just ran down the truss last night and ran into the room. There is also a transition onto my theater roof which I thought was the problem, but it is higher. Kinda hard to explain, but long story short, I got freakin water on my sheetrock.
Believe me, I totally sympathize. I did the Sherlock Holmes thing more than once myself.

post #949 of 956 Old 08-23-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
I really need a laugh right now myself. We got slammed by a thunderstorm at like 2am and it was like nothing I have not heard or felt in 10 years. I have been chasing a leak above the point from where I put on a new roof for the theater for a month now and finally hired a roofer to fix the leak. The good news is I do not need a new roof, but a simple repair. He said he would be out in 4 days but 4 days to late. Last night the rain was so heavy that it ruined my ceiling in the theater. Came down a soffit vent and got into the theater. I don't know yet what to do. I don't know If I am going to have to pull the sheet rock or just strip the tape and re tape and mud. I have no access to the ceiling from above, thus the reason I wanted a drop ceiling. I cannot go up in the attic and see what exactly is what. I just poured a cup of coffee and sat down and just trying to gather my thoughts and evaluate things and see where I go from here. I was a week away from opening the theater.
Dave. That. Sucks.

Got any pics of the water damage?

This happened in my villa the same day you posted this message. Just now getting to post the video up. Check it out... Glad I don't own this place...haha
Quote:
Dave, pondering life...
post #950 of 956 Old 08-23-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Dave, pondering life...

More like him thinking "I wonder if that CNC machine would fit in my Jeep"...

post #951 of 956 Old 08-23-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Gorilla83's Humble Basement Hangout

Quote:
Dave. That. Sucks.

This happened in my villa the same day you posted this message. Just now getting to post the video up. Check it out... Glad I don't own this place...haha

I think that's just another bidet mounted in the ceiling. You just have to lay on the floor to use it[emoji97]

Quote:

Dave, pondering life...

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy...

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
post #952 of 956 Old 08-23-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dave. That. Sucks.

Dave, pondering life...
Wow, looks like the same leak I had. All my water came out of the recessed lighting also. We found the leak this morning. I just hope he gets back here with the crew fast as there is a Hurricane brewing. I don't need 12 inches of rain right now. The roofer calked it, but I'n not trusting any caulk if this storm comes up the coast.

I posted a couple of pics Gorilla83's Humble Basement Hangout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
More like him thinking "I wonder if that CNC machine would fit in my Jeep"…
LOL, the Jeep is gone, new F150.

The CNC is certainly not my thing. It would take me a year to figure it. The CNC is best kept with Andrew.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 08-23-2014 at 08:33 PM.
post #953 of 956 Old 08-24-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I posted a couple of pics Gorilla83's Humble Basement Hangout
Oh, I missed those. My bad. Damn, that would piss me off...
post #954 of 956 Old 09-02-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Thanks Dave. From what I've read I think you will really like the panny 8000. I'm not into the video stuff nearly as much as audio, but I can appreciate I nice picture.

Received and installed the Sony tonight! First impressions - Really, really, really nice picture right out of the box. Relatively easy swap from my Epson. Contrast is VERY nice, picture is super sharp, and blacks are very deep. I don't care much for the "motion control" feature so I'll be leaving that off. "Reality creation" seems nice, although not drastic at least with the lower settings. When I popped in Art of Flight I would have sworn it was in 3D! PLENTY of light output for my room and screen in pretty much all modes. "Game" / high lamp mode has some crazy output. Only negative I can see vs. my epson is that the lens shift adjustment is more limited. I am still impressed with my epson considering cost and the blacks on the epson were really nice as well. Overall happy with the purchase, especially considering I'm not much of a videophile at all.
Just looking at the Sony VPL-HW55ES vs your old Epson 8700UB.

Just 100 extra lumens, lower contrast ratio and a different display tech (LCD vs SRXD). *Sigh* I need to educate myself on projectors more.
post #955 of 956 Old 09-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:

Just 100 extra lumens, lower contrast ratio and a different display tech (LCD vs SRXD). *Sigh* I need to educate myself on projectors more.
Sony (and JVC) has LcoS panels, so slightly to tremendously better convergence than 3LCD, dynamic iris and contrast, lens control, 3d, the list goes on

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #956 of 956 Old 09-15-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Quote:

What size screen? How light controlled the room?

Have you seen the 6030? (or 5030?) Impressive for the price.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Roku Hd Player , Xbox 360 Console , Panamax , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts , Crown Nxls2000 0 Us Power Amplifier , Yorkville , Jbl Professional 8340 Cinema Surround Speaker , Basement Bar
Gear in this thread