Gorilla83's Humble Basement Hangout - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 755 Old 12-17-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 61
That box looks nice. So now you have four right? Dual drive subs that is). And again, those are 18in right? That's a lot of firepower. How are you going to place them. All up front(stacked)? Or will you place them through out the room.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 755 Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

That box looks nice. So now you have four right? Dual drive subs that is). And again, those are 18in right? That's a lot of firepower. How are you going to place them. All up front(stacked)? Or will you place them through out the room.

Yes they are 18's powered by an LG 14000 clone. I have some ideas for placement - I may start with all 4 up front, but not stacked. I
Alternatively, i have room behind the couch for 2 as well so they could be split. I'll give them a listen in each position and see what sounds best to my ears. cool.gif
post #93 of 755 Old 12-17-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Sorry to see you leave the JTR family as I just became a member, but love your build. I bet it sounds awesome.

Everything JTR I've heard so far has been phenomenal, and the Caps were no exception. I loved the sound the 2 new subs produced so I had to build a couple more. biggrin.gif
post #94 of 755 Old 12-17-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Yes they are 18's powered by an LG 14000 clone. I have some ideas for placement - I may start with all 4 up front, but not stacked. I also have room behind the couch for 2 more. I'll give them a listen in each position and see what sounds best to my ears. cool.gif
Wait Wait Wait. You see that bolded part. Are you saying that you have space for two more, besides the 4 you are already building? That would be insane. I forget. What are you using for mains? Are you afraid that you will out sub your mains with all that woofage? You are one crazy bass head tongue.gif. I say that with all respect though smile.gif.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #95 of 755 Old 12-17-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wait Wait Wait. You see that bolded part. Are you saying that you have space for two more, besides the 4 you are already building? That would be insane. I forget. What are you using for mains? Are you afraid that you will out sub your mains with all that woofage? You are one crazy bass head tongue.gif. I say that with all respect though smile.gif.

Haha sorry I misspoke, I intend on only a total of four subs. Maybe two up front and two out back? At least for now. biggrin.gif I have SHO 10s, but will probably build something upgraded and use them (the SHOs) as surrounds in January.
post #96 of 755 Old 12-17-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 164
what are you going to do about securing the sheetrock so it doesn't vibrate when you add 2 more subs? because the entire room seems to flex with just 2 of them biggrin.gif

I think your ideas for behind the couch and an "end table" are the best for placement options. assuming it sound right. Bass will literally be kicking you in the back. I also just realized that you only started building your room in September like a month before we the first G2G. thats some pretty insane progress
post #97 of 755 Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 307
He dislodged a light bulb with the dual Caps. If these new subs are even more potent he's going to be able to rearrange the furniture, while he's sitting on it!

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #98 of 755 Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

If these new subs are even more potent he's going to be able to rearrange the furniture, while he's sitting on it!

Or rearrange the wall studs!
post #99 of 755 Old 12-18-2012, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

what are you going to do about securing the sheetrock so it doesn't vibrate when you add 2 more subs? because the entire room seems to flex with just 2 of them biggrin.gif
I think your ideas for behind the couch and an "end table" are the best for placement options. assuming it sound right. Bass will literally be kicking you in the back. I also just realized that you only started building your room in September like a month before we the first G2G. thats some pretty insane progress

The difficult part now will be quieting down resonation in the room. I'm going to take care of insulation above the ceiling next (1 foot thick R38) to both treat the ceiling as well as apply some pressure against the grid, tiles, and light canisters.

The walls will be tricky, but I will see what I can do to secure them some more. Ideally if I were building new I would have double stud/drywalled the room but after 3+ months of hard work finishing that area, there is no way I'm going to tear down the walls and re-do it all.

Maybe a while from now I will redo it from the ground up again. Certainly don't want to think about that now though, heh. smile.gif I think keeping the 3rd and 4th subs somewhat near field will help mitigate some of the room resonation. We'll see how it sounds when they get set up shortly.
post #100 of 755 Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha sorry I misspoke, I intend on only a total of four subs. Maybe two up front and two out back? At least for now. biggrin.gif I have SHO 10s, but will probably build something upgraded and use them (the SHOs) as surrounds in January.
OK. That is what I hoped you meant. Only for your own safety biggrin.gif. I just can't imagine what that would be like. I mean, Popalock's subs were insane and your dual Caps were freaking insane. If you are going to get more output then what I experienced at the GTG, that will be just crazy output. But I am sure it will be fun. Cant't wait until you finish them and then maybe run some SPL tests on them. I am sure even down real low you will pull some pretty impressive numbers
Based on your chart a few pages back you are already getting really low with just two. With two more I can only imagine that it will play as low but louder much easier.

My System

post #101 of 755 Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I mean, Popalock's subs were insane and your dual Caps were freaking insane. If you are going to get more output then what I experienced at the GTG, that will be just crazy output.

I'm sure Andrew will correct me if I'm wrong... I think he was looking for more extension, not necessarily output. To be honest, I'm not sure it's humanly possible to endure more volume then those Caps were putting out. eek.gif

Even with the huge amount of room gain he seemed to have his Caps were still tuned somewhere in the upper teens. The bass much below that would have been largely distortion since the driver had unloaded at that point. Now he's getting single digits, and because he'll be using 8 drivers and 14k watts the output should still be there.

post #102 of 755 Old 12-18-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

If what you say is true then what I always thought was wrong. Just an ex... If one sub gives 95 db at 7Hz, adding 3 more won't mean that it will all of a sudden he will get down to 3Hz in the room. It just means that 7Hz the SPL will be much more then 95Hz. At least that's the way I understand it. That's what I always thought. Adding more subs won't all of a sudden make a sub that was not a bottom feeder a real bottom feeder. It will just make the over all frequency response the sub is able to provide that much louder. I mean the FR of the sub is the FR of the sub. Adding more won't change that(at least that's what I think). It will just make what FR you do have louder. Am I right?

My System

post #103 of 755 Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

You understand it correctly. More subs = more volume, not lower extension. If a sub can't produce anything below 20Hz even having 10 of them won't change that fact. You'll get a really loud 21Hz, but still won't get 19Hz.

post #104 of 755 Old 12-18-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

All right, at least I know a little bit about this stuff biggrin.gif. I still can't imagine more output then I experienced at the GTG. I realize that the GTG is not the way we would normally listen to a system. Just clip after clip of really loud bass scenes. A real movie will have a peak part in the movie but then it would return to a normal level for a while. But still, hitting those marks for even a little bit will be mighty impressive.

My System

post #105 of 755 Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The idea behind multiple subs is to play at loud volumes with less effort, distortion, and stress on the equipment.. I don't expect to extend any lower than what I have now, but I will have substantially more output capability at the same levels or even the same output with less stress to the equipment. Getting great output at <20hz requires a lot of power and/or displacement. With multiples in this magnitude the bass is just effortless.
post #106 of 755 Old 12-18-2012, 07:17 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Nice room, well executed subs,... congrats...

Another reason for multiple subs, even more significant in my opinion, is that of response smoothing.

Andrew, I'm guessing the above the ceiling damping will have a fantastic effect on the perceived quality of the bass tonality and clarity. So good move there, no question, as that's a superb location for a massive bass trap.

Again, nice room.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #107 of 755 Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Good stuff Andrew. Although in my room, multiples really are not needed. I have plenty of output and my FR is surprisingly good for a room with just a single. But I understand, and if I had a bigger room I would certainly go the multiple route. The only thing I have above my ceiling is at least a foot or more of regular insulation. That probably is not doing much. I also have a whole bunch of insulation along one of my walls that it is a share wall with another room. But I understand that more will give you better headroom without straining the system. And I can attest first hand that Andrew's room looks and sound awesome.

My System

post #108 of 755 Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Nice room, well executed subs,... congrats...
Another reason for multiple subs, even more significant in my opinion, is that of response smoothing.
Andrew, I'm guessing the above the ceiling damping will have a fantastic effect on the perceived quality of the bass tonality and clarity. So good move there, no question, as that's a superb location for a massive bass trap.
Again, nice room.

Thank you! You are 100% correct about the response smoothing, especially across multiple seats. I can get awesome FR with just one of these subs in the listening position, but that is not consistent across all seats. I'm looking forward to insulating the ceiling. As of now it is 100% bare joists. frown.gif
Quote:

Good stuff Andrew. Although in my room, multiples really are not needed. I have plenty of output and my FR is surprisingly good for a room with just a single. But I understand, and if I had a bigger room I would certainly go the multiple route. The only thing I have above my ceiling is at least a foot or more of regular insulation. That probably is not doing much. I also have a whole bunch of insulation along one of my walls that it is a share wall with another room. But I understand that more will give you better headroom without straining the system. And I can attest first hand that Andrew's room looks and sound awesome.

Mike - If you're getting good FR and output with one sub and you're happy with it all, consider yourself lucky! biggrin.gif If there was someway I could set my stuff up in a room that is smaller and wouldn't require as much power/drivers/setup/treatments that would be great. The downside is I wouldn't be able to fit 20+ of us for a GTG and have access to the bar. biggrin.gif
post #109 of 755 Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike - If you're getting good FR and output with one sub and you're happy with it all, consider yourself lucky! biggrin.gif If there was someway I could set my stuff up in a room that is smaller and wouldn't require as much power/drivers/setup/treatments that would be great. The downside is I wouldn't be able to fit 20+ of us for a GTG and have access to the bar. biggrin.gif
Trust me, you say you would take a smaller room now, but after I saw Craig's giant screen, and your really nice size screen, for me, going to something much smaller would take some getting used to. My friend has a 92in screen I really like the size of that. Lucky for me, my 42in TV does look really good and I have my sound primed and setup correctly so that sort of takes the sting out of having a small TV.

My System

post #110 of 755 Old 12-22-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So next week in parallel with getting all 4 subs up and running, I'm going to start treating of the ceiling. I've found a few relevant threads that seem to offer some great advise for treatment of drop ceilings. As of now above the tiles it is bare with nothing other than wires and HVAC ducting. I'm going to line the entire ceciling with 1 foot thick right over the tiles and around the perimeter of the room I will (double) stuff up through the joists right up until the floor upstairs. This will essentially make my entire ceiling one huge bass trap. biggrin.gif

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2302479-quot-Drop-quot-Ceilings-(grids)-and-Acoustic-Treatment
post #111 of 755 Old 12-22-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

So let me see if I understand this correctly... you have a concrete room that's half submerged in the ground into which you've placed four subs each running a pair of 18" drivers, all being powered by 14k watts. You have bass traps on the walls and in the corners, and now you're insulating the ceiling. Did I miss anything?

There's really only one thing that can be said at this point; holy sh$# man! The pressure waves you're bound to create will separate the first floor from the foundation, catapulting it onto one of your neighbors houses.

I can't wait to hear it... tongue.gif

post #112 of 755 Old 12-22-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

So let me see if I understand this correctly... you have a concrete room that's half submerged in the ground into which you've placed four subs each running a pair of 18" drivers, all being powered by 14k watts. You have bass traps on the walls and in the corners, and now you're insulating the ceiling. Did I miss anything?
There's really only one thing that can be said at this point; holy sh$# man! The pressure waves you're bound to create will separate the first floor from the foundation, catapulting it onto one of your neighbors houses.
I can't wait to hear it... tongue.gif

Mostly correct. tongue.gif The amp is running in 4 ohm stereo (or 8 ohm bridged) so it's actually 'only' 8800 watts. biggrin.gif Somehow I think it will suffice.
post #113 of 755 Old 12-24-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guys - I have all 4 subs up and running now. The 3rd and 4th subs are behind the couch and acting as an end table. First and foremost the output and impact is absolutely ABSURD!! Completely blows away anything I've had in the room so far. I've spent only a few quick minutes listening so far since I don't have a lot of time left today before family activities kick off. Tomorrow I'm hoping to re-eq and take some onmnmic sweeps along the way. I've learned a few things from the 10 short minutes I've spent demo'ing them:

1) I don't know if I'll ever be able to need or tolerate much more output for more than a clip or two at a time. Upon first hooking them up I had to back the sub level down -4 or -5 DB in order to not overpower the mains. The impact with the sub behind the couch makes me giggle like a second grade schoolkid at recess. I'm confident I'm seeing 130+ DB at the listening position for most frequencies. I will know more when i measure shortly.

2) I feel sorry for my wife when I have friends over to demo while she is home. Truly.

3) I have a newfound respect for what this clone amp can really do now that it's wired in 4 ohm stereo. It's freaking awesome. Hopefully it stays working for a while. biggrin.gif I had it cranked near reference for a few clips and wasn't even close to finding the limits of this setup.

4) Some of you guys have got to get over here this week and have a listen. Seriously.

5) I'm really going to have to respect this setup or I will have some serious hearing damage. biggrin.gif

6) There is no need for transducers with the subs in these positions.

I'm going to toy with placement a bit next and finish up the grills. Once I've found the locations, I will wire them through the walls with outlet plates, etc and snap some pictures for you guys.

Merry Christmas Eve all!!!
post #114 of 755 Old 12-24-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Wow I can only imagine how forceful the bass is. I once remember hearing a 7.1 DefTech 7000 system (all internal subs being cut off at 40hz to match the lowest rolloffs the external subs had) that also ran four of their Supercube Reference subs down to about 15hz (They did bottom out a bit down to 11hz) at what must have been at least 120db in a room about 16x12. They ran some pink noise tests and other assorted demos. Needless to say the bass was so overpowering you couldn't stay in the room for long. It was a pretty well proofed room too but man was it an amazing experience. Of course there are more powerful setups out there but this one just stood out in my mind. The rafters in the building were shaking lol.

I bet your system sounds unbelievable and trust me, if I was in your area I'd definitely have a listen. Your poor wife. lol smile.gif
post #115 of 755 Old 12-24-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I owned a deftech trinity at one point in this room. It was a nice sub and very well built, but fell far short of what the Captivators and the current setup offer. D

I'd like to start with insulating later in the week, but we will see what kind of time I have.
post #116 of 755 Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So testing has been completed powering the SHOs with my EP4000 amp. I dialed the gain back a bit and then performed level matching. I listened to a few popular music and movie clips that are part of my normal demo material. I listened first up to about reference and really didn't notice any audible difference from the receiver. Same sound quality, midrange, etc. However, when the levels were raised to +10 and beyond there was no longer any audible hint of distortion. These levels are enough to really drive you out the room. My conclusion - for my setup in my room, the receiver is more than sufficient for 99% of normal listening conditions. When it comes time for demo/testosterone fest the pro amp really gets them cranking, cleanly.

I tried crossing them over at 80, 90, and 100hz - they all seemed relatively similiar to my ears with a slight change in the 80hz mode. I figured with the massive output I have with the subs I'll leave them a bit less stressed at 100hz.
post #117 of 755 Old 01-01-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All 4 subs EQ'd. I had much better luck with Audyssey connecting all subs to one channel. I'm basically flat without having to add any external EQ this time around. I've also wired up some rear surrounds for a full 7 channel setup. I wanted to get this done prior to insulating the ceiling. I had some Klipsch RS35's laying around so I hooked them up for now until I build all of my surrounds.

Stay tuned for ceiling treatments and new SEOS mains build in the next month or so.

Some pictures - take note of the new 'end tables.' biggrin.gif I apologize I hadn't cleaned up a whole lot before taking the pictures. That would have been wasted time instead of more listening. biggrin.gif

post #118 of 755 Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks great. I really can't imagine anything more then what I experienced at the sub GTG. Those LMS and your Caps were certainly loud enough for me eek.gif. Now with those new DIY subs, if they are louder then what I heard last time, well, I wouldn't know what to say about that. Hopefully now they fill the room the way you want them too. I look forward to a demo during the next GTG that will involve speakers. That is, if I am invited redface.gif.

My System

post #119 of 755 Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks great. I really can't imagine anything more then what I experienced at the sub GTG. Those LMS and your Caps were certainly loud enough for me eek.gif. Now with those new DIY subs, if they are louder then what I heard last time, well, I wouldn't know what to say about that. Hopefully now they fill the room the way you want them too. I look forward to a demo during the next GTG that will involve speakers. That is, if I am invited redface.gif.

Thanks Mike. You are in for a surprise when you come to listen. biggrin.gif The next GTG will be in April. Of course you're invited, in fact I even have you on the list already. smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1446450/ne-spring-speaker-shootout-gtg-date-poll-and-discussion
post #120 of 755 Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Roku Hd Player , Xbox 360 Console , Panamax , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts , Crown Nxls2000 0 Us Power Amplifier , Yorkville , Jbl Professional 8340 Cinema Surround Speaker , Basement Bar
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page