Gorilla83's Humble Basement Hangout - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #901 of 911 Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,533
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Now you can dump that ol' powerpoint projector for the real deal.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 911 Old 08-19-2014, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,382
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Is there something in particular that you want improved over your Epson that you are looking to upgrade?
Oh, I just wanted a dark colored projector to match my new ceiling.

Things I like about the Sony:

-Excellent contrast ratio
-Increased brightness; tested as the highest output of the "serious" projectors in it's category
-Curious to play with Reality Creation as it was rated highly among the "picture enhancers"
-I've never had 3D, and I'm not expecting much, but it will be interesting to try
-I don't use a scope screen, so the lack of lens memory was a non-issue for me

Overall I was very happy with my Epson, but I quickly got the upgrade bug and wanted to try something new. I blame Brandon @beastaudio . I'm hoping this will be my last projector until 4K becomes mainstream. It seems promising!

Last edited by Gorilla83; 08-19-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #903 of 911 Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
klipsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm curious to see what your impressions are of 3D ... the "real" 3D films actually work in my opinion on a large screen (your 135" qualifies as large) ... the "fake" 3D films to me just look awful and detract from the movie

realorfake3d.com helps to determine which films are "real" vs "fake"
klipsch is offline  
post #904 of 911 Old 08-19-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
I'm going with the Sony VPL-HW55ES. I was very interested in this model as well as the JVC RS46, RS49/4910. In short, I would have been very happy with either of them.
Nice choice! What made go with the Sony over the JVC?

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Pain Infliction is offline  
post #905 of 911 Old 08-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Does the Sony have lens memory for constant image height (CIH) w/o an anamorphic lens?

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
NWCgrad is online now  
post #906 of 911 Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,382
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Nice choice! What made go with the Sony over the JVC?
Simple - I found a good buy on a sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Does the Sony have lens memory for constant image height (CIH) w/o an anamorphic lens?
It does not.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #907 of 911 Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,364
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
I'm going with the Sony VPL-HW55ES. I was very interested in this model as well as the JVC RS46, RS49/4910. In short, I would have been very happy with either of them.
Cool. I was going with the same PJ at first, but winded up going with the Panny AE8000U. Some people told me back on Cyber Monday to jump on the Panny as I got it for $1780 after rebate. I actually installed it yesterday, first time it has been out of the box since January. Played around with it last night for the first time, I am such a PJ noob. Luckily Jonathan has the same one and I can bug him for advise.

Enjoy the new toy.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #908 of 911 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,382
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Cool. I was going with the same PJ at first, but winded up going with the Panny AE8000U. Some people told me back on Cyber Monday to jump on the Panny as I got it for $1780 after rebate. I actually installed it yesterday, first time it has been out of the box since January. Played around with it last night for the first time, I am such a PJ noob. Luckily Jonathan has the same one and I can bug him for advise.

Enjoy the new toy.
Thanks Dave. From what I've read I think you will really like the panny 8000. I'm not into the video stuff nearly as much as audio, but I can appreciate I nice picture.

Received and installed the Sony tonight! First impressions - Really, really, really nice picture right out of the box. Relatively easy swap from my Epson. Contrast is VERY nice, picture is super sharp, and blacks are very deep. I don't care much for the "motion control" feature so I'll be leaving that off. "Reality creation" seems nice, although not drastic at least with the lower settings. When I popped in Art of Flight I would have sworn it was in 3D! PLENTY of light output for my room and screen in pretty much all modes. "Game" / high lamp mode has some crazy output. Only negative I can see vs. my epson is that the lens shift adjustment is more limited. I am still impressed with my epson considering cost and the blacks on the epson were really nice as well. Overall happy with the purchase, especially considering I'm not much of a videophile at all.

It's been a long day, so more tomorrow including my first trial of 3D.
popalock likes this.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #909 of 911 Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
That is one nice looking projector. ..

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
NWCgrad is online now  
post #910 of 911 Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 5,389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Thanks Dave. From what I've read I think you will really like the panny 8000. I'm not into the video stuff nearly as much as audio, but I can appreciate I nice picture.

Received and installed the Sony tonight! First impressions - Really, really, really nice picture right out of the box. Relatively easy swap from my Epson. Contrast is VERY nice, picture is super sharp, and blacks are very deep. I don't care much for the "motion control" feature so I'll be leaving that off. "Reality creation" seems nice, although not drastic at least with the lower settings. When I popped in Art of Flight I would have sworn it was in 3D! PLENTY of light output for my room and screen in pretty much all modes. "Game" / high lamp mode has some crazy output. Only negative I can see vs. my epson is that the lens shift adjustment is more limited. I am still impressed with my epson considering cost and the blacks on the epson were really nice as well. Overall happy with the purchase, especially considering I'm not much of a videophile at all.

It's been a long day, so more tomorrow including my first trial of 3D.

Aaaahhhhhhhh shiny new toy!...lol
Gorilla83 likes this.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is offline  
post #911 of 911 Old Today, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,382
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 304
It's going to be tough sitting at work today when I know I have this thing waiting at home for me to come and play. I don't have much else planned besides putting a few hours on it tonight.
Gorilla83 is online now  
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Roku Hd Player , Xbox 360 Console , Panamax , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts , Crown Nxls2000 0 Us Power Amplifier , Yorkville , Jbl Professional 8340 Cinema Surround Speaker , Basement Bar
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off