How to store old electronics? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but this is more of a question on what do to with equipment that is NOT part of your system configuration. I converted a lot of my families home movies to digital this past year. I acquired a VCR, Beta player, and Super8 camcorder in order to play all the various formats. Right now the devices are stacked up in my home office which doesn't look very good. I don't really want to waste space in the room or a closet to store them so I was hoping to move them into the garage.

My question is whether I can store these electronics in the garage in sort of a "pack and forget" kind of way? These are pretty old components so I don't know if they have much life in them anyway, but I would like to have some chance of them working if I need to use them again in the future. I live in Northern California in the Bay Area where there is moderate humidity (70-80%) and the temperature is between 40-90F degrees for the most part. If it helps, I have an old, disconnected refrigerator in the garage if that might provide good storage. Should I pack silica crystal packets or is that not a good long-term solution.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 AM

Liked: 11
I'm no expert on this by any means... but one thought would be to get some of those vacuum bags, this would allow you to pull out all the air, thus not having to worry about humidty effecting them, and if you pack a couple towels around them... you could then put them in one of those rubbermaid containers and should be good to go. Just a thought!
slemmon likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 PM

Liked: 10
I wouldn't store electronics in a location that would be rust "friendly". Low humidity and temperature controlled is key. Your idea in the old refrigerator is great. Rice would be a great supplement for silicon too...

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page