post #1 of 13 Old 11-16-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New house, new thread, I suppose...

Here's the link to my original setup in my old place:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332738/devos-den

I thought that the new setup warranted a new thread, due to some new equipment and a new home.

Most of the same old equipment, with a couple new things:

The Product:

Projector: BenQ W6000
Screen: EluneVision Elara II 120" Perlux Silver 1.4 gain
The Brains: Onkyo TX-SR706
The Protection: Belkin PureAV PF60
The Sources: Sony Playstation PS3 (Slim), Sony CD/DVD Player DVP-NS67P, Vidtec DVD-K39 CD/DVD Karaoke System (awesome..!)
The Speakers: Paradigm all around; Monitor 9s for L&R, CC-390 Centre Channel, DSP-170 around back, DSP-3200 Subwoofer. Being a pround Canadian, had to go with the 'Digms, they make 'em right down the street from me!
The Extras: Logitech Harmony One Remote, a couple of half-decent Phillips Mics for singing, SuperNES, Auralex GRAMMA isolation pad for the sub, a gang of DVDs (hardly ever used now), an ever-growing stash of Ray-Rays, and of course, a fridge full of Heine's for karaoke nights/movie nights. Pioneer PDP-5020FD hooked up to PC & fat PS3, off to the side.

View from the main viewing position

Kuro off to the side with PC and PS3 aroung the corner

Angle shot BenQ up there. Also, Clint

The main seat..

...(s)

Kuro (D-Nice cal. May '12)

DVD/CD stash

Ray-Rays

RightChannel & RedTable

LeftChannel and Point1

Centre & Product

Nude stage

TDK (can't take a proper screenshot to save my life..)

TDK (see..?)

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Very nice setup Devo235 I like it.

Frank

post #3 of 13 Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 AM

Great looking system. I just changed over to Paradigm and I love them.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-18-2012, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Nice setup & bluray collection! would you mind sharing more screenshots on your 120" 1.4 gain screen? both controlled light & ambient light situation?
post #5 of 13 Old 11-18-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post

Nice setup & bluray collection! would you mind sharing more screenshots on your 120" 1.4 gain screen? both controlled light & ambient light situation?

I would if I knew how to take a proper screenshot. Also, a better camera wouldn't hurt. If you could direct me to an area where advice is given on taking good screenshots, that would be a start.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-18-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Nice job. Everything looks very clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo235 View Post

I would if I knew how to take a proper screenshot. Also, a better camera wouldn't hurt. If you could direct me to an area where advice is given on taking good screenshots, that would be a start.

I'm not expert at all in this too, but I found some advises from other experts
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Now here is some Screenie takin' help; (...previously offered to another member....)

With any particular Camera, there is a point where resolution and incoming light combine with aperture to create a balance.....or not. We/I use the eye to initially judge the image quality we actually see, and it's the memory of that image that serves as the comparison to go by when viewing the Screen Shot.

The first step is to set up a sturdy spot that is at mid-screen height and centered "lens to Screen". Choose an appropriate distance. With your Screen being a white laminate, that would probably be at about 13'-14'

Set the Camera on AUTO / High ISO. Zoom in until you have the Screen centered in the image but with at least 15% of the image width open around the Screen's perimeter. You need to have a offsetting reference for the camera's metering system to work right, but too much "out of the image" content will skew the balance to favor the "Black' and wash out the image.Set the timer and take a shot. Compare the LCD preview. Adjust the light output of the LCD window until you match the image with what you see ahead. That's not really accurate...but it's better than being far off.

OK...now what your trying to do is to take shots at a relative high ISO (500-800) but compensate for the brightness increase by using the Zoom to attenuate incoming light just enough to allow for detail and color to not be washed out because the Camera is seeing the light coming from the Screen as being so very bright.

If you get the light balance down, the colors produced by the PJ and as presented via the Camera's sensors will be as accurate as both can produce.

It's all about balance, and using your eye/memory to make the subtle adjustments to equalize what you capture with what you see.

When you get back to your PJ and download, then you can see how much of any "luminance loss" you experience during the File transfer. If you have a balance going for you, that will always be nominal, if indeed it's not actually minimal.

Some degree of Trial and Error and Adjustment is involved. and certain Movies ranging from darkies like Underworld to brilliant Pixar animations will call for re-adjustments at time.

But all those really center around Distance/Zoom/ISO so you don't have a lot of head scratchin' to do.

One last thing. Pixel resolution on most all new 1080p PJs is incredibly smooth. Because of that, the camera cannot use it's pixel interpolation (PI) feature very well, resulting in a flatter, less contrasty image (...mostly lacking depth of field...) This results in a image that is /can be slightly fuzzier looking than what you know it looked like when you watched it. But when it can, image sharpness seen in a Photo appears to go off the scale.

(CRTs have none of those issues..."Smooth Screen" PJs have the most.)

The "PI" feature on most Digi-Cameras is just one of a few aspects that makes some decry the validity of Screen shots. But actually it's a playing field leveler that makes a photographed image look more like the real life image, not "better than". This aspect usually manifests itself in Close ups. If you can't avail yourself of PI, then it is best to not zoom in too close, but rather re-size downward and crop to enlarge the remaining content. Zoom in too close and all that detail actually becomes blurry, and colors shift and actually merge because of the seemingly indistinct transition points between fields of different content.

Happy shootin'
Quote:

You Sir, are not getting enough gain out of the Gray surface to allow the Camera to collect a decent amount of light. . Or....you are using too much Zoom and therein attenuating the light at the camera's iris..

Try stepping back to about 14', and using only enough Zoom (25% at most)to start. If it's still dim, then bump up the ISO setting to High (600-800) and still use the Zoom just a bit. Your first shots seem to have been done in that manner. When you take shots in complete darkness, distance and then Zooming is a must...but since you started out with a sub 1.0 Gain Gray, that would need to be accommodated for a bit more than with the Higher Gain applications.

In the end, some tinkering and experimentation should lead you to a point where what you see over the Top of the Camera should be represented in the Preview window...or at least in your PC's display.

There should never be an instance where someone has to post such dull shots. Especially when the clarity behind the dullness seems to be exceptionally good.
Quote:

This suggestions are based on taking Screenies in complete darkness.

Set you Camera on Auto / No Flash

Stand back to approx. 14' if possible.

Zoom in until you have about 10% of the image making up the surrounding Screen wall.

Brace camera and shoot. Use the Shutter's Timer Function (2 sec.)

Experiment using zoom, adjusting your shooting distance in necessary.

The combo of having deep contrast and a bright image can confuse a metering system. Happens a lot. Things (bright areas) look too bright...washed out.

Somewhere along the camera's focal length, when on auto you will discover a balance.

More can be better, with distance & zoom combining to attenuate excessive light hitting the CCD.
Quote:

Those are nice. Can you take them again from 12' - 14' away?

If they come out looking a bit dim, shoot them at between 500-800 ISO, and employ your Zoom just enough to compensate for any excessive amount of incoming light your camera picks up.
Quote:

Set Camera on Auto, step back to at least 15', use the zoom to frame the Screen with some but minimal surrounding wall, and shoot. Try reducing / increasing zoom.

That's a good start. keep it simple, and use your own eyes to judge if the image on the camera's screen closely matches what you see.

Usually when you download images onto the PC, they come out just a bit darker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

Screenshot Basics

First of all I would like to state that I am no photographer, amateur or otherwise. What I will outline in this post is just the basics of how to take some reasonably good screenshots with a point and shot digital camera. I will keep the following post reserved for anyone who is a knowledgeable photographer to contribute more detailed instructions.
[*] Turn off the flash.
[*] Use a tripod or set the camera on a table or stool.
[*] If your camera has a timer, use it.

While you may think the image is quite bright, the camera will more than likely need to use a longer exposure time. That means that if the camera is not very stable the image will be blurry. By using the camera timer you can avoid inadvertently shaking the camera when you press the shutter button.

I generally just use the camera's Auto mode. There is also a night scene mode and a fireworks mode for my camera. Do a little experimenting to see what mode works best for bright and dark scenes.

Canon S2 Auto Mode

Canon S2 Night Portrait

Canon S2 Night Snapshot

Canon S2 Fireworks

Keep in mind that the goal here is to produce a photograph that represents what you see not the best that your camera can do. The Auto or Fireworks modes seem to produce the most accurate representation of what I see.

If however I was trying to make the images look as good as possible the Night Snapshot mode made the Northern Lights image look fantastic.

Framing: It is best to include some of the surroundings in the photograph. If there is some ambient light then the viewer can judge by the amount of light on the surrounding walls.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Awesome set up!! I like the TV on the side wall, great idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Very nice - very clean and professional.

Quick question - do you find any reflective glare on the screen from the light colored walls and white ceiling? Does the 1.4 gain eliminate this? I'm trying to determine what would work for me

thanks

Dan

My set up

post #10 of 13 Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Very nice - very clean and professional.
Quick question - do you find any reflective glare on the screen from the light colored walls and white ceiling? Does the 1.4 gain eliminate this? I'm trying to determine what would work for me
thanks

I don't really get any glare from either the ceiling or the walls, but I'm sure the picture would improve a great deal if the walls/ceiling were a darker colour.

But, as for the glare, the ceiling is a "flat" paint and the walls are matte, so they do not reflect much, if any, of the light emitting from the projector. There is no doubt I would benefit from painting at least the walls a darker shade, but the glare is a non-issue because I simply do not notice any problems with the paint. The walls and ceiling seem to absorb most of the light that hits them.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1038

I like everything in your new home / setup / etc, especially that red table, congrats thumbsup.gif

-
Rodrigues
post #12 of 13 Old 11-20-2012, 05:34 AM

Liked: 15
Very nice, I like it!!
post #13 of 13 Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 308
This is a great room. Kuro for casual programming, Projector screen for heavy-duty theater watching! Very nice!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Benq W6000 1080p Dlp Projector , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr706 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page