Frohlich's new home theater (his man cave and her not so man cave) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 162 Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Awesome setup! I am big fan of large speakers for theater use.
I live in Knoxville now, but i am originally from Cincinnati. Grew up on the "other" side of town in Bridgetown but my grandfather lives in Indian Hill..

Small world. I am sure you read above that I live in Kenwood and my kids go to Indian Hill schools. Hope you are enjoying Knoxville, was just by there a few weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 162 Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo View Post

That's an insane setup you'll be having with the second sub coming in to fill the empty space!! I can just say it will be jaw dropping sensation when those 2subs will start to dance!!
I honestly don't know why I am getting a second sub outside of being addicted to this crazy hobby. The one S2 puts out a ton of clean bass and I have the dial around 25% of volume. On the flip side I am anal about the current empty spot and if I don't get another sub it will drive me insane ... more insane than I already am smile.gif
post #63 of 162 Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I honestly don't know why I am getting a second sub outside of being addicted to this crazy hobby. The one S2 puts out a ton of clean bass and I have the dial around 25% of volume. On the flip side I am anal about the current empty spot and if I don't get another sub it will drive me insane ... more insane than I already am smile.gif

I have 4 subs for the same reason. The original two were is diagonal corners and the lack of symmetry was killing me. Being anal cost a lot of money!

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
post #64 of 162 Old 01-01-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

I have 4 subs for the same reason. The original two were is diagonal corners and the lack of symmetry was killing me. Being anal cost a lot of money!

Wow, 4 subs, that is awesome. Probably would cause structural damage in my house biggrin.gif
post #65 of 162 Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't realize there were so many Cincinnati residents on this great forum. Nice to see. I too am a JTR Speakers owner. I am fortunate to have both a Women Cave and a Women HT. But, I love Frohlich' kitchen island. Now, I just need a solution for dual subs to replace my SVS cylinder sub located in the corner, just not much room for them in my set up as you can see below.

post #66 of 162 Old 01-10-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I am a former Cincinnati resident.. Heading back up in a few weeks.
post #67 of 162 Old 01-10-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post

I didn't realize there were so many Cincinnati residents on this great forum. Nice to see. I too am a JTR Speakers owner. I am fortunate to have both a Women Cave and a Women HT. But, I love Frohlich' kitchen island. Now, I just need a solution for dual subs to replace my SVS cylinder sub located in the corner, just not much room for them in my set up as you can see below.

Both the Women Cave and HT cave look great Kathy. Always great to hear from local forum members. Didn't think there were too many JTR owners around our area smile.gif
post #68 of 162 Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am a former Cincinnati resident.. Heading back up in a few weeks.

Coach, I just talked to Jeff and he expects my second S2 sub to be shipped by the week of 7/21. If you get a chance to swing by for a demo later this month hopefully I will have duals set-up and running smile.gif
post #69 of 162 Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which JTR's are those?
post #70 of 162 Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Coach, I just talked to Jeff and he expects my second S2 sub to be shipped by the week of 7/21. If you get a chance to swing by for a demo later this month hopefully I will have duals set-up and running smile.gif

We are still on target for a trip up that way on the 25th/26th... Looking forward to hearing your system....especially with the second sub....eek.gif...
post #71 of 162 Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which JTR's are those?

Kathy can give us the official answer but I am guessing the Q8s (triple 8 with two more bass drivers).
post #72 of 162 Old 01-11-2013, 08:04 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Kathy can give us the official answer but I am guessing the Q8s (triple 8 with two more bass drivers).

Sorry guys, yes those are Q8s and Jeff built a custom T8 for my center channel so that it would fit into the space. Jeff was great about allowing me to return the S8 I purchased as a center channel and building one to fit my space.

Now I am looking to upgrade my SVS cylinder sub to dual subs, but I do not have much room and this is my main living room, so I have to be aware of esthetics. There is only 18" from the rear of the Q8s to the back wall, and even less space from the rear of the A/V stand to the wall. As far as considering in-wall subs, the wall behind the A/V unit is your typical 4" wall, and the other side of the wall is a finished wall that leads to the lower level. I know there are a lot of fans of the Submersive and other large subs, but they just won't work in my space.

I know I could have my home theater in the lower level, which is totally finished and very large. But, I know I wouldn't go down there to enjoy it on a daily basis, so it is the party room with a pool table, bar, and all my replaced A/V equipment.

Another challenge I have are the acoustics in my main floor, I didn't think about that when sitting down with the architect, wanting those 14' tall ceilings and no walls between the living room, dining room, kitchen, and breakfast room.

Up for suggestions of options for subs that would nicely complement the JTRs. Thanks!
post #73 of 162 Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry guys, yes those are Q8s and Jeff built a custom T8 for my center channel so that it would fit into the space. Jeff was great about allowing me to return the S8 I purchased as a center channel and building one to fit my space.

Now I am looking to upgrade my SVS cylinder sub to dual subs, but I do not have much room and this is my main living room, so I have to be aware of esthetics. There is only 18" from the rear of the Q8s to the back wall, and even less space from the rear of the A/V stand to the wall. As far as considering in-wall subs, the wall behind the A/V unit is your typical 4" wall, and the other side of the wall is a finished wall that leads to the lower level. I know there are a lot of fans of the Submersive and other large subs, but they just won't work in my space.

I know I could have my home theater in the lower level, which is totally finished and very large. But, I know I wouldn't go down there to enjoy it on a daily basis, so it is the party room with a pool table, bar, and all my replaced A/V equipment.

Another challenge I have are the acoustics in my main floor, I didn't think about that when sitting down with the architect, wanting those 14' tall ceilings and no walls between the living room, dining room, kitchen, and breakfast room.

Up for suggestions of options for subs that would nicely complement the JTRs. Thanks!

Yeah, finding a small compact sub is going to be hard. I know SVS has a new sealed sub that you could consider but even that might be too big for your space. All the stuff from JTR and Seaton have pretty big footprints. I have the JTR S2 (similar to Seaton F2) that you could perhaps stand on end (tall like a speaker...mine is horizontal on the foor). Would that work?
post #74 of 162 Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:

Hi Kathy, i think a Seaton Submersive F2 or JTR S2 take up about as much floor space as your current svs....they are not very deep. If you look at my avatar, you can get an idea of the F2's real-world size...plus, with the finish options, it should be able to blend well with that room as furniture. (Get the rosenut or walnut finishes).
post #75 of 162 Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 167
No possibility to consider other form factors? After all (within reason) it's the internal volume that's needed rather than a particular shape. So building a box shape that suits the room better with the same volume and moving the element/electronics could perhaps be an option? Not so deep, but high (or wide) ?

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #76 of 162 Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well after several delays from BMS delivering new 18 inch drivers to Jeff, they finally arrived today. Jeff said my second S2 ships out tomorrow and should be here by Friday...just in time for the weekend smile.gif
post #77 of 162 Old 01-31-2013, 09:55 AM

Liked: 46
LOVE those big speakers. JTR? Never heard of them but just looked them up - WOW. Not like you (or anybody) needs it, but I'd love to see & hear you do a triple 12 for the center and throw in another double 18 sub on the other side! :O

I know that NAD brick you have is a monster, but looking at your speaker specs have you ever considered juicing them up even more? (again, as if its needed but just wondering).

Dude the next time I blast my system and sit back to take in the sound/impact, I think a vision of your sound stage is going to flash before my eyes prompting me to wonder: how the hell must THAT system sound like!?!? Wicked setup.
post #78 of 162 Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin96 View Post

LOVE those big speakers. JTR? Never heard of them but just looked them up - WOW. Not like you (or anybody) needs it, but I'd love to see & hear you do a triple 12 for the center and throw in another double 18 sub on the other side! :O

I know that NAD brick you have is a monster, but looking at your speaker specs have you ever considered juicing them up even more? (again, as if its needed but just wondering).

Dude the next time I blast my system and sit back to take in the sound/impact, I think a vision of your sound stage is going to flash before my eyes prompting me to wonder: how the hell must THAT system sound like!?!? Wicked setup.

You must not have read the post read above yours..another S2 (double 18 driver sub) is coming tomorrow. So that empty space you see should be filled with more BOOM BOOM smile.gif

JTR speakers are actually very sensitive speakers and will reach reference level on almost no watts ...can't remember the number but it is less than 20 watts. While getting new toys like an amp is always fun for people like us with HT addictions, with these speakers it honestly is not needed. They are so easy to drive. I think the Triple 12s are 101db sensitivity.
post #79 of 162 Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 73
In truth, I think your wife should appreciate the second S2 as much as you do - it makes the layout of the front sound stage symmetrical, thereby making it much more aesthetically pleasing to look at. The interior decorator part of her brain should approve.
post #80 of 162 Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 AM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

In truth, I think your wife should appreciate the second S2 as much as you do - it makes the layout of the front sound stage symmetrical, thereby making it much more aesthetically pleasing to look at. The interior decorator part of her brain should approve.

That's funny but its so bloody true! My wife is self proclaimed/self aware borderline OCD when it comes to symmetry. She could care less about the sound and bitch non stop about the cost, yet an empty space like that on the left would gnaw away at her more than anything.

Frohlich I have yet to fully understand sensitivity and stuff like anechoic chamber, etc. Quickly looking at your speaker specs online I figured a 4 ohm speaker required TWICE the power of an 8 ohm speaker to drive, plus I thought I read online that these things could handle like 1600 watts? (?). Either way based on what you said about the speakers, that NAD amp sounds like its more than enough.

EDIT - and my wife is very pleased you pulled the trigger on another dual 18 for the left side :P
post #81 of 162 Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My wife was an angel and said I could do what I wanted in the new house...within reason of course. The empty space bothered me a lot more than it did her...since I spend way more time down in the man cave than she does. She is perfectly happy watching the 55 inch plasma above the fire place upstairs while I hang it in the basement and defend the neighborhood from snipers playing Black Ops or watching a blu ray. Matter of fact since this room was finished, I have probably watched more movies in the last month than I ever have (per day average). I have probably averaged almost 1 movie a day over the last month....though that is because I often watch 2 or even 3 on a weekend day. I am an early bird so I can get up at 7 AM on a Saturday morning and finish a movie before anybody else is even awake. And the way the house is laid out, you can barely hear the sound upstairs...even when I am cranking it pretty good.
hyghwayman and Yusuf.0088 like this.
post #82 of 162 Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alright, my second S2 arrived this morning and is in place. I am done now for a while...that is my story and I am sticking to it smile.gif

Djoel likes this.
post #83 of 162 Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

VERY IMPRESSIVE....

Definitely makes things look more "complete" up front. wink.gif
post #84 of 162 Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Yes! Now we're talking. That'll do wonders to smoothing out mode excitation and cut the dist by a fair bit. It should be noticable well beyond risks of placebo. Might even make it more silent outside the theater at the same volume levels too!

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #85 of 162 Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Very nice!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #86 of 162 Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

VERY IMPRESSIVE....

Definitely makes things look more "complete" up front. wink.gif

I ran out of room so I suppose I can't buy any more speakers wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

Yes! Now we're talking. That'll do wonders to smoothing out mode excitation and cut the dist by a fair bit. It should be noticable well beyond risks of placebo. Might even make it more silent outside the theater at the same volume levels too!

I don't think it sounded too silent when I watched Terminator Salvation...forgot how much bass was in that soundtrack tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Very nice!

Thanks. Just went through an upgrade cycle so time to stop for a while.
post #87 of 162 Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 AM

Liked: 24
Love the setup... That's a mean looking front end!
post #88 of 162 Old 02-02-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 399
There's a simple, aesthetic beauty in the use of symmetry. That second S2 makes this setup far more than the sum of its parts, visually. Performance-wise, I'm sure its already been more than the sum of its parts for quite some time. smile.gif
post #89 of 162 Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

There's a simple, aesthetic beauty in the use of symmetry. That second S2 makes this setup far more than the sum of its parts, visually. Performance-wise, I'm sure its already been more than the sum of its parts for quite some time. smile.gif

I agree about symmetry. The empty space the second S2 filled was driving me crazy eek.gifwink.gif
post #90 of 162 Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I agree about symmetry. The empty space the second S2 filled was driving me crazy eek.gifwink.gif

I completely agree about the symmetry. I got my first SUB12 today, and I'm already thinking I need another to go on the left-hand side of the TV. I like balance, or maybe it's just a little OCD in me.

Very nice setup by the way. Looks good.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Stewart , Jtr , Nad , Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panamax
Gear in this thread - Av7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page