Frohlich's new home theater (his man cave and her not so man cave) - Page 6 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #151 of 179 Old 03-16-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nightlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Sweden
Posts: 2,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I think HT ugrade season is over for me and golf season is just starting smile.gif

eek.gif I haven't hit a single ball since I debarked on the cinema project. Most likely won't until I'm finished either. I'm just starting the third year...

Under construction: the Larch theater
Nightlord is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 179 Old 03-17-2014, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

eek.gif I haven't hit a single ball since I debarked on the cinema project. Most likely won't until I'm finished either. I'm just starting the third year...

Wow, a three year build. You sound like a man on a mission who knows what he wants.

BTW, guess we weren't quite finished with the basement after all. Wife ordered an air hockey table yesterday. We have a lot of empty space next to the HT room in the basement and she wanted to start filling it out. Maybe daddy can talk her into a pool table later this year smile.gif
Frohlich is online now  
post #153 of 179 Old 03-17-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nightlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Sweden
Posts: 2,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Wow, a three year build. You sound like a man on a mission who knows what he wants.

At least. I don't dare to set opening date earlier than 2017-06-06. But that's supposed to include UHD/4K-projector and whatever mediaformat player that requires.

Under construction: the Larch theater
Nightlord is offline  
post #154 of 179 Old 11-28-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Ok, put in my new 127 inch 16:9 Falcon Horizon HD AT screen so updated some pictures. Moved my speakers around a bit so they are all now behind the screen. Also added some additional pictures on first post of this thread.







Nightlord likes this.

Last edited by Frohlich; 11-28-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Frohlich is online now  
post #155 of 179 Old 11-28-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,817
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Looks good.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #156 of 179 Old 11-28-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I concur, it looks great!

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #157 of 179 Old 12-03-2014, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Looks good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I concur, it looks great!
Thanks guys. The only other thing I am considering for now is getting a matching JTR 212 HT for my center channel. My current center channel was a great fit with my old screen where my space for a center channel was limited below the screen but now that I moved to an AT screen I have more space for speakers and might get a matching center. Then its time to wait and see with Atmos and 4K projector...not in a hurry but interested
Frohlich is online now  
post #158 of 179 Old 12-17-2014, 05:22 AM
Member
 
PoopShoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New setup looks great! I would love to get together sometime to check out your system as I am seriously considering JTRs for my upcoming theater build and you HAVE to be the closest person with JTRs. Besides, since you are a Buckeye fan, you have to be a great person! (Beat Bama!)

Congrats on the upgrades.
PoopShoe is offline  
post #159 of 179 Old 12-17-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,466
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Looking great!!! Now, your next project must be to build a false wall that surrounds that awesome screen. The journey never ends!!! Lol
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #160 of 179 Old 12-17-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopShoe View Post
New setup looks great! I would love to get together sometime to check out your system as I am seriously considering JTRs for my upcoming theater build and you HAVE to be the closest person with JTRs. Besides, since you are a Buckeye fan, you have to be a great person! (Beat Bama!)

Congrats on the upgrades.
Any OSU fan is welcome at my house any time. PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Looking great!!! Now, your next project must be to build a false wall that surrounds that awesome screen. The journey never ends!!! Lol
I know...I know. I kind of just got up one day and said its time to switch to an AT screen. Did some research for a few days and ordered the screen and then realized, "Hey, I have to mount this somehow". So I went the quick and dirty route. Will have to do something in 2015....thats my story and I am sticking to it
Frohlich is online now  
post #161 of 179 Old 01-12-2015, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 410
As a die hard Buckeye fan, Urban might be the best addition to my Home Theater evar!!!!!!

Last edited by Frohlich; 01-12-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Frohlich is online now  
post #162 of 179 Old 01-13-2015, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,466
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I know...I know. I kind of just got up one day and said its time to switch to an AT screen. Did some research for a few days and ordered the screen and then realized, "Hey, I have to mount this somehow". So I went the quick and dirty route. Will have to do something in 2015....thats my story and I am sticking to it
2015 is here! I'll set my DVR for the press conference!
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #163 of 179 Old 01-31-2015, 12:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Burlington, WI
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Absolutely awesome theater. I'm interested in a lot of the same pieces you have such as the Parasound amps and the Marantz 8801. Great upgrades along the way.

How did you get from M&K to JTR? Obviously, you like the JTR's and have had good performance or you wouldn't have stayed in that line with your upgrades. I'll be starting JTR research

As a side note, I can't give you Buckeye prompts since you embarrassed the Badgers so badly for the Big Ten title. But good job taking down Bama.

Jeff
jlcichocki is offline  
post #164 of 179 Old 02-17-2015, 11:52 AM
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,863
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Hi - looking forward to see how you like the new Yorkville U215's versus the JTR speakers!


Was almost set on LCR U215's until I found a great deal on JTR 212HT's - still have doubt in my mind though and often wonder about the midbass from the U215's, please post once you get them setup!


--Ray
raynist is offline  
post #165 of 179 Old 02-18-2015, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I also have an AV7702 coming in a few days. Once I get everything settled, I will update the thread
Frohlich is online now  
post #166 of 179 Old 02-23-2015, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Ok, here are some update picks with the Yorkville U215s and some Ohio State stuff (more updated pictures of my HT are on the first post of this thread).






Last edited by Frohlich; 02-23-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Frohlich is online now  
post #167 of 179 Old 02-23-2015, 12:47 PM
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,863
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Ok, here are some update picks with the Yorkville U215s (and some Ohio State stuff).





Looks great!

How do you have your screen hung? What is keeping it from moving front to back at the bottom?

Also, do you vacuum your carpet before every picture? You always have fresh vacuum marks!

Thanks!
Ray

Last edited by raynist; 02-23-2015 at 12:53 PM.
raynist is offline  
post #168 of 179 Old 02-23-2015, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Looks great!

How do you have your screen hung? What is keeping it from moving front to back at the bottom?

Also, do you vacuum your carpet before every picture? You always have fresh vacuum marks!

Thanks!
Ray
I tried just hanging the screen from that contraption I made that bolted into the ceiling to see how it would hang from just gravity and it hung perfectly level so I just left it alone

My wife and I are neat freaks and yes I vaccum all the time, including before I take pictures. Though Beastaudio already beat you to the punch and made fun of me on the JTR thread previously for my carpet marks

I also have updated a more comprehensive set of HT pictures on the first post of this thread.

Last edited by Frohlich; 02-23-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Frohlich is online now  
post #169 of 179 Old 02-23-2015, 01:32 PM
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,863
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Thanks.

Do you have any closer pictures of that bracket? I want to get an AT screen hung as simply as possible. I would like to build a false wall eventually but just don't have time right now.
raynist is offline  
post #170 of 179 Old 04-09-2015, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Ok, Yorkville's are sold and the new JBL 4722Ns are in the house

Next up is adding two ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS:x. I already bought them (JBL SCS 8) but now need the time and ambitions to mount them to the ceiling. Next project!!!!


Frohlich is online now  
post #171 of 179 Old 04-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Burlington, WI
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Ok, Yorkville's are sold and the new JBL 4722Ns are in the house

Next up is adding two ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS:x. I already bought them (JBL SCS 8) but now need the time and ambitions to mount them to the ceiling. Next project!!!!



JBL's look great!! Why the switch from the Yorkville?
jlcichocki is offline  
post #172 of 179 Old 04-10-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BornSlippyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Damn I am loving that wall of sound!

October HorrorFest Participant
BornSlippyZ is offline  
post #173 of 179 Old 04-11-2015, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcichocki View Post
JBL's look great!! Why the switch from the Yorkville?
The Yorkville's were nice and I am bit a speaker flipper. I heard so many good things about the JBLs that I wanted to give them a try. I have to say, so far everything I had heard about the JBLs is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Damn I am loving that wall of sound!
I added some front Atmos speakers so the wall of sound grew larger
BornSlippyZ and jlcichocki like this.
Frohlich is online now  
post #174 of 179 Old 04-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Burlington, WI
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
The Yorkville's were nice and I am bit a speaker flipper. I heard so many good things about the JBLs that I wanted to give them a try. I have to say, so far everything I had heard about the JBLs is true



I added some front Atmos speakers so the wall of sound grew larger

Is this the best set-up you've had?
jlcichocki is offline  
post #175 of 179 Old 04-13-2015, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcichocki View Post
Is this the best set-up you've had?
I think it is but I am still in the honeymoon phase with the JBLs so it is easy for me to be all excited early. I was also very excited when I first had the JTR 212s and the Yorkville U215s so I am just trying to be open and honest. After many hours of critical listening you start to pick up on all the nuances of speakers and I have only had the JBLs for a week. So far the JBLs seem to combine the clarity and resolution of the JTRs (their strength in my opinion) with the full bodied sound and mid bass punch of the U215s (their strength in my opinion). For me, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I think next steps for me are a 4k projector (probably not until 16 or later) and potentially moving to Crown DSI amps so I can actively bi-amp the JBL 4722 speakers.
Frohlich is online now  
post #176 of 179 Old 04-13-2015, 09:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Burlington, WI
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I think it is but I am still in the honeymoon phase with the JBLs so it is easy for me to be all excited early. I was also very excited when I first had the JTR 212s and the Yorkville U215s so I am just trying to be open and honest. After many hours of critical listening you start to pick up on all the nuances of speakers and I have only had the JBLs for a week. So far the JBLs seem to combine the clarity and resolution of the JTRs (their strength in my opinion) with the full bodied sound and mid bass punch of the U215s (their strength in my opinion). For me, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I think next steps for me are a 4k projector (probably not until 16 or later) and potentially moving to Crown DSI amps so I can actively bi-amp the JBL 4722 speakers.
They look unbelievably awesome. Sounds like you are on the right track with a great plan.
jlcichocki is offline  
post #177 of 179 Unread Today, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 410
A couple of updated pictures with my new JBL Pro SCS 8 Atmost speakers. Also painted my surround speaker enclosures black (they were white) and also tilted all four of my surround towards the listening position.






Frohlich is online now  
post #178 of 179 Unread Today, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,774
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
A couple of updated pictures with my new JBL Pro SCS 8 Atmost speakers. Also painted my surround speaker enclosures black (they were white) and also tilted all four of my surround towards the listening position.







How come you mounted the Atmos speakers up front and not as overheads?
Gooddoc is offline  
post #179 of 179 Unread Today, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
How come you mounted the Atmos speakers up front and not as overheads?
A few reasons.

1)my room is in the basement so the ceilings are on the low side (I think around 7.5 feet) so with these JBL speakers they would hang down pretty far (unless I cut out the dry wall and hung them from the joist).

2)because I am in the basement, running wires for in ceiling speakers is a large project that would likely require cutting and replacing dry wall to make my wire runs.

3)this was a very easy way for me to play with Atmos as it was just running two speaker wires from my amps and drilling one hole for each Atmos speaker

4)If I look at the early DTS:X visuals, they almost seem to run height channels closer to Auro (even thought they claim they are speaker location agnostic, I will believe it when I see it). This way once DTS:X is fully release, I can make my final adjustments to Atmos/DTS:X speaker location.
Frohlich is online now  
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Stewart , Jtr , Nad , Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panamax
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off