Frohlich's new home theater (his man cave and her not so man cave) - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #181 of 191 Old 05-10-2015, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Frohlich, your room is looking great. I like the updates you've made. Are the JBL's going to stay for a while or do you have the next set in mind already?
I can honestly say that switching speakers hasn't even crossed my mind since I got the JBL 4722s. I have a Marantz 8802A on order that should be here in the next couple of weeks and then I think the next "upgrade" will be a 4K projector but that will be in 2016....maybe 2017. Time to enjoy what I have ...that's my story and I am sticking to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 191 Old 06-29-2015, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wonderful looking room.

JBL Pro L-C-R will be my next move too.

/ Jacob
Nabs17 likes this.
post #183 of 191 Old 07-30-2015, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 362
I didn't even know you switched to Yorkvilles from JTR's. Your jockeying must have been perfectly timed with my little break (less AVS for a bit). Those JBL's are AWESOME!

I can't remember where and when you said it in the past but where did you get your diffusion panel? I am planning a build and kept telling my wife I wanted to show her Frolich's Diffusor. She was like "Huh?" BTW she said it looked very nice

For sale: Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
post #184 of 191 Old 08-01-2015, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I didn't even know you switched to Yorkvilles from JTR's. Your jockeying must have been perfectly timed with my little break (less AVS for a bit). Those JBL's are AWESOME!

I can't remember where and when you said it in the past but where did you get your diffusion panel? I am planning a build and kept telling my wife I wanted to show her Frolich's Diffusor. She was like "Huh?" BTW she said it looked very nice
Hey, long time no talk. I hope you are doing well.

Yeah, the Yorkvilles were nice but didn't quite do it for me overall. The JBLs are going to stick around for a while. Took some trial and error with multiple speakers over the last few years but the JBLs fit my needs perfectly as I am 99% HT and I have never heard a better HT speaker in my room.

The diffusion panels are from Vicoustics. I bought them because they are nice blend of functionality and decor.
post #185 of 191 Old 08-08-2015, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow, two new iterations of the room since I heard it! Looks awesome and I bet it sounds even better! Love the atmos speaker choice!

New OSU is looking good too. How are you liking the 8802 versus the 7702?

Mike
post #186 of 191 Old 08-09-2015, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopShoe View Post
Wow, two new iterations of the room since I heard it! Looks awesome and I bet it sounds even better! Love the atmos speaker choice!

New OSU is looking good too. How are you liking the 8802 versus the 7702?

Mike
Hey Mike, I hope you are doing well. Yeah, made some changes after you came over and listened to the JTR speakers. I can honestly say, as of today, I have 0% interest in buying new speakers. I went through plenty in the last 5 years these are the right ones for me and how I use my system.

The 8802 was a small upgrade over the 7702. I like it and bought it to be future proof with Atmos, DTS x, HDCP 2.2 and 4K support. I think for 2 channel music the 8802 is suppose to be a nice upgrade over the 7702 but I am 99% HT

How about your room? Did the construction start yet? Where are you in the process? Maybe I can swing by sometime once it is complete.

Oh, and GO BUCKS!!!!!
post #187 of 191 Old 08-09-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 362
I thought you said GO DUCKS! You know I'm born an raised in Eugene OR so a Duck for life. It's painful asking you for advice! Haha just kidding

So I have been on quite a journey the last few days as good AVS friend JBrown15 has turned me onto the JBL 4722's. JTR T8's already shipped out the door. I have been reading Swolephiles thread in which I followed your 4722 process/purchase. I am highly considering these now due to you all and have even reached out for a quote from Jeff at Full Compass. The plan is AT screen with one row of seating around 12ft back. Screen will be as big as tolerable so all three will go behind. Perhaps a baffle wall would be best. Even considering the crown amps as well. I guess I just want to be sure I'm not settling for less (I know these are decent speaker) as I had intended to follow lukeamdman and his MEGA MAINS with the BMS 4594 CD! But I am intrigued by the turn key solution these offer and all of your opinions are making it easier for me to possibly buy blind. I feel I'm not too hard to please in the sense of an audio snob, I just want a speaker that puts a smile on my face because I love they way it sounds. Is that too hard to ask? I loved the Triple 8's ability to handle the dynamic range with authority and ultra clean distortion free beauty. Everything was great just that they did not "grab me emotionally." I guess thats what we are all after in the end and perhaps even fewer find it. I will look into anywhere close to home though that may have some for a listen.

The fact it's past the honeymoon and you are still satisfied is a good sign!

For sale: Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
post #188 of 191 Old 08-10-2015, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I thought you said GO DUCKS! You know I'm born an raised in Eugene OR so a Duck for life. It's painful asking you for advice! Haha just kidding

So I have been on quite a journey the last few days as good AVS friend JBrown15 has turned me onto the JBL 4722's. JTR T8's already shipped out the door. I have been reading Swolephiles thread in which I followed your 4722 process/purchase. I am highly considering these now due to you all and have even reached out for a quote from Jeff at Full Compass. The plan is AT screen with one row of seating around 12ft back. Screen will be as big as tolerable so all three will go behind. Perhaps a baffle wall would be best. Even considering the crown amps as well. I guess I just want to be sure I'm not settling for less (I know these are decent speaker) as I had intended to follow lukeamdman and his MEGA MAINS with the BMS 4594 CD! But I am intrigued by the turn key solution these offer and all of your opinions are making it easier for me to possibly buy blind. I feel I'm not too hard to please in the sense of an audio snob, I just want a speaker that puts a smile on my face because I love they way it sounds. Is that too hard to ask? I loved the Triple 8's ability to handle the dynamic range with authority and ultra clean distortion free beauty. Everything was great just that they did not "grab me emotionally." I guess thats what we are all after in the end and perhaps even fewer find it. I will look into anywhere close to home though that may have some for a listen.

The fact it's past the honeymoon and you are still satisfied is a good sign!
I know its hard to purchase any speaker without hearing them first. Coach just also bought the 4722N and he was also a previous JTR owner and I know Carp had these in his room a couple of months back. So there are plenty of guys that have heard them that you can reach out to and get their thoughts. I know Coach listenend to them at my house twice and decided to go down the same path.

All I can tell you is about for my taste, they are the best speakers I have had in my room. The fact that they can be had for a very reasonable price via Full Compass was just a cherry on top. I would not look at the price of these speakers, or any speaker for that matter, and let it influence your perception too strongly of how good or bad they are.

And I agree...GO BUCKS!!!!!!
jlpowell84 likes this.
post #189 of 191 Unread Today, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Wow.. .That is quite the front speaker wall!

I am up in Mason, so, not too far away... I just completed my theater (other than DIY subs), and have comparatively tiny little 'in wall' speakers so I could fit all the seating I wanted in my room. Part of me would love to hear your set up, but then part of me thinks that is a terrible idea... I don't know what I don't know... and if I did know what great sound, sounds like... I am not sure I could do anything, and might just be disappointed with my setup.

Nice Job!
post #190 of 191 Unread Today, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Holy Smoke!! This setup is so so so sweet!

Can you share your thoughts on how the height speakers are working out? Also, have you noticed any significant lost in hearing?

I LOVE IT!!!
post #191 of 191 Unread Today, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Wow.. .That is quite the front speaker wall!

I am up in Mason, so, not too far away... I just completed my theater (other than DIY subs), and have comparatively tiny little 'in wall' speakers so I could fit all the seating I wanted in my room. Part of me would love to hear your set up, but then part of me thinks that is a terrible idea... I don't know what I don't know... and if I did know what great sound, sounds like... I am not sure I could do anything, and might just be disappointed with my setup.

Nice Job!
Hey Kevin, I hope you are doing well. I actually have posted on your build thread a couple of times since I noticed you were local here in Cincinnati. I just looked at your completed room and it looks great!!!!! We should give each other demos sometime since we live so close together. Great job and I know you will love your newly completed room. GREAT JOB!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
Holy Smoke!! This setup is so so so sweet!

Can you share your thoughts on how the height speakers are working out? Also, have you noticed any significant lost in hearing?

I LOVE IT!!!
While my speakers are capable of some insane volume, I really don't listen that loud to be honest. I like it around -10 below reference. I have given several demos to AVS members over the last couple of years and usually crank it a little bit for those special occasions

I am using the front height speakers as Atmos speakers. I will likely buy two more of those JBL SCS8 speakers so I can get four Atmos speakers instead of two. Might be a winter time project since I spend most of my summer free time hacking it up on golf courses.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Stewart , Jtr , Nad , Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panamax

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page