Frohlich's new home theater (his man cave and her not so man cave) - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #181 of 239 Old 05-10-2015, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Frohlich, your room is looking great. I like the updates you've made. Are the JBL's going to stay for a while or do you have the next set in mind already?
I can honestly say that switching speakers hasn't even crossed my mind since I got the JBL 4722s. I have a Marantz 8802A on order that should be here in the next couple of weeks and then I think the next "upgrade" will be a 4K projector but that will be in 2016....maybe 2017. Time to enjoy what I have ...that's my story and I am sticking to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 239 Old 06-29-2015, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Wonderful looking room.

JBL Pro L-C-R will be my next move too.

/ Jacob
Nabs17 and smit1001 like this.
post #183 of 239 Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 576
I didn't even know you switched to Yorkvilles from JTR's. Your jockeying must have been perfectly timed with my little break (less AVS for a bit). Those JBL's are AWESOME!

I can't remember where and when you said it in the past but where did you get your diffusion panel? I am planning a build and kept telling my wife I wanted to show her Frolich's Diffusor. She was like "Huh?" BTW she said it looked very nice
post #184 of 239 Old 08-01-2015, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I didn't even know you switched to Yorkvilles from JTR's. Your jockeying must have been perfectly timed with my little break (less AVS for a bit). Those JBL's are AWESOME!

I can't remember where and when you said it in the past but where did you get your diffusion panel? I am planning a build and kept telling my wife I wanted to show her Frolich's Diffusor. She was like "Huh?" BTW she said it looked very nice
Hey, long time no talk. I hope you are doing well.

Yeah, the Yorkvilles were nice but didn't quite do it for me overall. The JBLs are going to stick around for a while. Took some trial and error with multiple speakers over the last few years but the JBLs fit my needs perfectly as I am 99% HT and I have never heard a better HT speaker in my room.

The diffusion panels are from Vicoustics. I bought them because they are nice blend of functionality and decor.
smit1001 likes this.
post #185 of 239 Old 08-08-2015, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow, two new iterations of the room since I heard it! Looks awesome and I bet it sounds even better! Love the atmos speaker choice!

New OSU is looking good too. How are you liking the 8802 versus the 7702?

Mike
post #186 of 239 Old 08-09-2015, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopShoe View Post
Wow, two new iterations of the room since I heard it! Looks awesome and I bet it sounds even better! Love the atmos speaker choice!

New OSU is looking good too. How are you liking the 8802 versus the 7702?

Mike
Hey Mike, I hope you are doing well. Yeah, made some changes after you came over and listened to the JTR speakers. I can honestly say, as of today, I have 0% interest in buying new speakers. I went through plenty in the last 5 years these are the right ones for me and how I use my system.

The 8802 was a small upgrade over the 7702. I like it and bought it to be future proof with Atmos, DTS x, HDCP 2.2 and 4K support. I think for 2 channel music the 8802 is suppose to be a nice upgrade over the 7702 but I am 99% HT

How about your room? Did the construction start yet? Where are you in the process? Maybe I can swing by sometime once it is complete.

Oh, and GO BUCKS!!!!!
post #187 of 239 Old 08-09-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 576
I thought you said GO DUCKS! You know I'm born an raised in Eugene OR so a Duck for life. It's painful asking you for advice! Haha just kidding

So I have been on quite a journey the last few days as good AVS friend JBrown15 has turned me onto the JBL 4722's. JTR T8's already shipped out the door. I have been reading Swolephiles thread in which I followed your 4722 process/purchase. I am highly considering these now due to you all and have even reached out for a quote from Jeff at Full Compass. The plan is AT screen with one row of seating around 12ft back. Screen will be as big as tolerable so all three will go behind. Perhaps a baffle wall would be best. Even considering the crown amps as well. I guess I just want to be sure I'm not settling for less (I know these are decent speaker) as I had intended to follow lukeamdman and his MEGA MAINS with the BMS 4594 CD! But I am intrigued by the turn key solution these offer and all of your opinions are making it easier for me to possibly buy blind. I feel I'm not too hard to please in the sense of an audio snob, I just want a speaker that puts a smile on my face because I love they way it sounds. Is that too hard to ask? I loved the Triple 8's ability to handle the dynamic range with authority and ultra clean distortion free beauty. Everything was great just that they did not "grab me emotionally." I guess thats what we are all after in the end and perhaps even fewer find it. I will look into anywhere close to home though that may have some for a listen.

The fact it's past the honeymoon and you are still satisfied is a good sign!
post #188 of 239 Old 08-10-2015, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I thought you said GO DUCKS! You know I'm born an raised in Eugene OR so a Duck for life. It's painful asking you for advice! Haha just kidding

So I have been on quite a journey the last few days as good AVS friend JBrown15 has turned me onto the JBL 4722's. JTR T8's already shipped out the door. I have been reading Swolephiles thread in which I followed your 4722 process/purchase. I am highly considering these now due to you all and have even reached out for a quote from Jeff at Full Compass. The plan is AT screen with one row of seating around 12ft back. Screen will be as big as tolerable so all three will go behind. Perhaps a baffle wall would be best. Even considering the crown amps as well. I guess I just want to be sure I'm not settling for less (I know these are decent speaker) as I had intended to follow lukeamdman and his MEGA MAINS with the BMS 4594 CD! But I am intrigued by the turn key solution these offer and all of your opinions are making it easier for me to possibly buy blind. I feel I'm not too hard to please in the sense of an audio snob, I just want a speaker that puts a smile on my face because I love they way it sounds. Is that too hard to ask? I loved the Triple 8's ability to handle the dynamic range with authority and ultra clean distortion free beauty. Everything was great just that they did not "grab me emotionally." I guess thats what we are all after in the end and perhaps even fewer find it. I will look into anywhere close to home though that may have some for a listen.

The fact it's past the honeymoon and you are still satisfied is a good sign!
I know its hard to purchase any speaker without hearing them first. Coach just also bought the 4722N and he was also a previous JTR owner and I know Carp had these in his room a couple of months back. So there are plenty of guys that have heard them that you can reach out to and get their thoughts. I know Coach listenend to them at my house twice and decided to go down the same path.

All I can tell you is about for my taste, they are the best speakers I have had in my room. The fact that they can be had for a very reasonable price via Full Compass was just a cherry on top. I would not look at the price of these speakers, or any speaker for that matter, and let it influence your perception too strongly of how good or bad they are.

And I agree...GO BUCKS!!!!!!
jlpowell84 likes this.
post #189 of 239 Old 08-13-2015, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Wow.. .That is quite the front speaker wall!

I am up in Mason, so, not too far away... I just completed my theater (other than DIY subs), and have comparatively tiny little 'in wall' speakers so I could fit all the seating I wanted in my room. Part of me would love to hear your set up, but then part of me thinks that is a terrible idea... I don't know what I don't know... and if I did know what great sound, sounds like... I am not sure I could do anything, and might just be disappointed with my setup.

Nice Job!
post #190 of 239 Old 08-13-2015, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Holy Smoke!! This setup is so so so sweet!

Can you share your thoughts on how the height speakers are working out? Also, have you noticed any significant lost in hearing?

I LOVE IT!!!
post #191 of 239 Old 08-13-2015, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Wow.. .That is quite the front speaker wall!

I am up in Mason, so, not too far away... I just completed my theater (other than DIY subs), and have comparatively tiny little 'in wall' speakers so I could fit all the seating I wanted in my room. Part of me would love to hear your set up, but then part of me thinks that is a terrible idea... I don't know what I don't know... and if I did know what great sound, sounds like... I am not sure I could do anything, and might just be disappointed with my setup.

Nice Job!
Hey Kevin, I hope you are doing well. I actually have posted on your build thread a couple of times since I noticed you were local here in Cincinnati. I just looked at your completed room and it looks great!!!!! We should give each other demos sometime since we live so close together. Great job and I know you will love your newly completed room. GREAT JOB!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
Holy Smoke!! This setup is so so so sweet!

Can you share your thoughts on how the height speakers are working out? Also, have you noticed any significant lost in hearing?

I LOVE IT!!!
While my speakers are capable of some insane volume, I really don't listen that loud to be honest. I like it around -10 below reference. I have given several demos to AVS members over the last couple of years and usually crank it a little bit for those special occasions

I am using the front height speakers as Atmos speakers. I will likely buy two more of those JBL SCS8 speakers so I can get four Atmos speakers instead of two. Might be a winter time project since I spend most of my summer free time hacking it up on golf courses.
post #192 of 239 Old 11-17-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 825
WOW! Haven't visited in a while. Signficant speaker upgrade. Very very nice. At CEDIA a year ago, JBL had one of the very best demos. I don't recall what speakers they were using but I do find it fascinating that JBL seems to have made a significant resurgence in the HT market. Good for them - and good for you.

Caution: it is very dangerous to say anything that sounds like: "I am totally satisfied with my speakers" unless you add the caveat "until I hear something I like better". While I have no doubt you really mean that, I have been at this long enough (and said the same thing about many of my audio and video products) to know that this is an addiction for many of us. And just like all addicts who recognize their addiction and say "I won't ever do this again" [and mean it], they end up doing it anyway. To insure that you keep these for a really long time, never go to another audio/HT store, attend another CEDIA, CES [or the like] and never go to another GTG where the person has different speakers than you do.

I think I posted on Matt's thread [aka BrolicBeast] that my typical cost to attend CEDIA was $15,600. $600 to attend the event and $15,000 I end up spending on some goodie(s) I saw/heard at the show.

Enjoy your system. I am sure is sound fabulous!!

What i liked, also, was this:

Is that a TV or a photograph? If a TV, what TV is that and how large?

Our Theater

FS: Audyssey Pro Kit

Obsessed is just a word the ill-informed use to describe the dedicated

Last edited by audioguy; 11-17-2015 at 05:49 AM.
post #193 of 239 Old 11-17-2015, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
WOW! Haven't visited in a while. Signficant speaker upgrade. Very very nice. At CEDIA a year ago, JBL had one of the very best demos. I don't recall what speakers they were using but I do find it fascinating that JBL seems to have made a significant resurgence in the HT market. Good for them - and good for you.

Caution: it is very dangerous to say anything that sounds like: "I am totally satisfied with my speakers" unless you add the caveat "until I hear something I like better". While I have no doubt you really mean that, I have been at this long enough (and said the same thing about many of my audio and video products) to know that this is an addiction for many of us. And just like all addicts who recognize their addiction and say "I won't ever do this again" [and mean it], they end up doing it anyway. To insure that you keep these for a really long time, never go to another audio/HT store, attend another CEDIA, CES [or the like] and never go to another GTG where the person has different speakers than you do.

I think I posted on Matt's thread [aka BrolicBeast] that my typical cost to attend CEDIA was $15,600. $600 to attend the event and $15,000 I end up spending on some goodie(s) I saw/heard at the show.

Enjoy your system. I am sure is sound fabulous!!

What i liked, also, was this:

Is that a TV or a photograph? If a TV, what TV is that and how large?
I have owned more than my fair share of speakers in the last 10 years (Paradigm Reference, Thiel, JTR, JBL, etc..)so I know what you mean about the next "must own" speaker is just one listening session away.

That is actually just a picture on the wall of the Buckeye stadium. As you can probably tell from my decor, I am huge fan and alumni. Never thought of it looking like a TV until your post and now I can see that it looks like it has small frame around it like a TV would. It is a "phat head" poster my wife bought me several years ago.
post #194 of 239 Old 11-19-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Those Fathead.com wall stickers are pretty sweet.

I too thought it looked like a TV. I was thinking "where are the speakers"?
post #195 of 239 Old 11-19-2015, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Those Fathead.com wall stickers are pretty sweet.

I too thought it looked like a TV. I was thinking "where are the speakers"?
Thats too funny, never even thought about it looking like TV until the both of you mentioned it. Probably because I am so use to seeing it everyday in real life

BTW, I made a large strategic mistake for Christmas. I have been telling my wife for a year that for Christmas I was going to treat myself to a 4K projector. There is really nothing that fit my needs (log lag time for gaming, 4K, HDR and costs less than car). So I told my wife a couple of weeks ago that I was probably going to wait a year and do it next Christmas. BIG MISTAKE!!! She told me to expect a rather large bill from Pottery Barn soon as she ordered some furniture since I am not getting a new projector.

Score is: Wife 1 Dumbass husband 0
post #196 of 239 Old 11-20-2015, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Score is: Wife 1 Dumbass husband 0
Tooooo funny!

Our Theater

FS: Audyssey Pro Kit

Obsessed is just a word the ill-informed use to describe the dedicated
post #197 of 239 Old 01-05-2016, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Ok, Yorkville's are sold and the new JBL 4722Ns are in the house

Next up is adding two ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS:x. I already bought them (JBL SCS 8) but now need the time and ambitions to mount them to the ceiling. Next project!!!!

THE EPIC NATURE OF THIS POST KNOWS NO BOUNDS!!!!! This is a speaker beloved by many...I'm glad you took this plunge.
post #198 of 239 Old 01-05-2016, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
THE EPIC NATURE OF THIS POST KNOWS NO BOUNDS!!!!! This is a speaker beloved by many...I'm glad you took this plunge.

Matt, I hope you are doing well my friend.

I have been following your thread from time to time...my original guess was last labor day for your completion...I was wrong Once it is complete it will be epic for sure.

I am contemplating a few minor changes to my set-up but nothing major.
post #199 of 239 Old 01-05-2016, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Why raise your center speaker higher than the left and right?

Benq W1070+92" Silver Ticket Grey Screen, Marantz SR6006 AVR, Oppo BDP-103, Fat PS3, Emotiva XPA-3, GoldenEar Triton Sevens L&R/SuperCenter XL Center/Aon 3 Surrounds, SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
post #200 of 239 Old 01-06-2016, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
Why raise your center speaker higher than the left and right?
I wish there was some great acoustical reason I could provide but the truth is when my basement was finished a few years ago I had the L/R and C stands built in for the JTR speakers I had at the time. The center stand you see used to house a JTR center channel that was placed horizontal on the stand. Back then I had a non-AT screen so the center was below the screen. Since then I have switched to the AT screen and moved to the JBL speakers but didn't want to tear down the stands since it was built into the room. You will notice my JTR subs on the far L/R are also on the original stands that I didn't remove.
post #201 of 239 Old 01-06-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I wish there was some great acoustical reason I could provide but the truth is when my basement was finished a few years ago I had the L/R and C stands built in for the JTR speakers I had at the time. The center stand you see used to house a JTR center channel that was placed horizontal on the stand. Back then I had a non-AT screen so the center was below the screen. Since then I have switched to the AT screen and moved to the JBL speakers but didn't want to tear down the stands since it was built into the room. You will notice my JTR subs on the far L/R are also on the original stands that I didn't remove.
Oh okay...just wondering is all. You're setup is freaking amazing. I am buying a house soon and considering doing an AT screen with JBL cinema speakers. I might need to go with the 3677's for L/R/C though due to price. I really like the sound of my Goldenear system, but now that I'll have a dedicated space I'm getting more interested in pro cinema speakers to recreate the Imax experience at home....if possible. So far Sprectrumaudio.com is the only place I've found that's selling JBL's commercial speakers. I see Full Compass mentioned but they don't seem to have any on their website.

Benq W1070+92" Silver Ticket Grey Screen, Marantz SR6006 AVR, Oppo BDP-103, Fat PS3, Emotiva XPA-3, GoldenEar Triton Sevens L&R/SuperCenter XL Center/Aon 3 Surrounds, SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
post #202 of 239 Old 01-06-2016, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
Oh okay...just wondering is all. You're setup is freaking amazing. I am buying a house soon and considering doing an AT screen with JBL cinema speakers. I might need to go with the 3677's for L/R/C though due to price. I really like the sound of my Goldenear system, but now that I'll have a dedicated space I'm getting more interested in pro cinema speakers to recreate the Imax experience at home....if possible. So far Sprectrumaudio.com is the only place I've found that's selling JBL's commercial speakers. I see Full Compass mentioned but they don't seem to have any on their website.
Thank you for the kind words. Fullcompass does indeed carry JBL pro (at very good prices I might add) eventhough it might not all be on their website. Several of us worked with John last year on a group buy. His contact information is below..tell him Martin sent you

John Bayer
P: 800-356-5844 x1184
F: 608-831-6330
E: bayer@fullcompass.com
Patriot666 likes this.
post #203 of 239 Old 01-06-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Thank you for the kind words. Fullcompass does indeed carry JBL pro (at very good prices I might add) eventhough it might not all be on their website. Several of us worked with John last year on a group buy. His contact information is below..tell him Martin sent you

John Bayer
+2 on working with John. Frohlich is the one that gave me my first demo of these speakers and now I have them in my room.

You might be surprised how inexpensive the 4722N's are when you email John...especially if you have GE speakers right now. I was able to sell off my Seaton Cat12's and pay for the JBL's, my Falcon AT screen and an amp.

I went through A LOT of speakers, as did Frohlich, and we are both very pleased with the JBL speakers.

Good luck!
Patriot666 likes this.
post #204 of 239 Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:

John Bayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
+2 on working with John. Frohlich is the one that gave me my first demo of these speakers and now I have them in my room.

You might be surprised how inexpensive the 4722N's are when you email John...especially if you have GE speakers right now. I was able to sell off my Seaton Cat12's and pay for the JBL's, my Falcon AT screen and an amp.

I went through A LOT of speakers, as did Frohlich, and we are both very pleased with the JBL speakers.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot guys!

post #205 of 239 Old 01-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked: 2876
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Quote:
Matt, I hope you are doing well my friend.

I have been following your thread from time to time...my original guess was last labor day for your completion...I was wrong Once it is complete it will be epic for sure.

I am contemplating a few minor changes to my set-up but nothing major.
Lol, might want to lock Matt out from this thread. Give him any ideas and he'll never finish his room.

Quote:
Maybe stack some lumber or something under the left and right speakers to bring them in level with the center then?

Scott's Wall of Bass Immersive Audio HT Room

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #206 of 239 Old 01-11-2016, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Lol, might want to lock Matt out from this thread. Give him any ideas and he'll never finish his room.

Maybe stack some lumber or something under the left and right speakers to bring them in level with the center then?
It's behind the screen so I don't see it and you can't tell at all from just listening so it isn't very high on my list to obsess about...I do too much obsessing as is. I do have a little change in mind that might be right up your alley but first I have to sell my amps and I started that process today by placing my Parasound Halo A51 up for sale. Hopefully it will find the right buyer.
post #207 of 239 Old 01-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked: 2876
Oooo...pray tell? I can't imagine it's new mains. Hell yeah, must be MOAR SUBS!!!!!

Yeah... must be. I can still see exposed wall in some posts.

Scott's Wall of Bass Immersive Audio HT Room

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #208 of 239 Old 01-11-2016, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Oooo...pray tell? I can't imagine it's new mains. Hell yeah, must be MOAR SUBS!!!!!

Yeah... must be. I can still see exposed wall in some posts.
I see what you did there

You are lukewarm. Want to take the JBLs fully active with some Crown DSI amps...just need to sell the Parasound first.
COACH2369 likes this.
post #209 of 239 Old 01-15-2016, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Parasound amp sold...new toys ordered. Now the waiting game
dwaleke likes this.
post #210 of 239 Old 01-25-2016, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 721
I haven't seen this thread since I moved from Cincy and damn you upgraded big time!

Well done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Stewart , Jtr , Nad , Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panamax
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page