Frohlich's new home theater (his man cave and her not so man cave) - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

Old 03-01-2016, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Got the same projector and screen. What is your distance to the screen with the PJ? How do you find fan noise? in my theater the projector is the only thing in there and in high lamp mode i find the fan distracting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBerry View Post
Got the same projector and screen. What is your distance to the screen with the PJ? How do you find fan noise? in my theater the projector is the only thing in there and in high lamp mode i find the fan distracting

My screen is about 11 feet from my seat and the projector is probably about 3 feet above/behind my head. I will say the fans on the HW65 are louder than than on my previous HW50. I think they have since changed the design as the HW 50 had the fan blowing out the back (I think) and I read the HW65 has it out the front. I don't notice it at all during content but if there is a silent passage or I haven't turned any content on yet, you can hear it from my seat. Not distracting but noticeable for me.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Ok, winter HT projects done. Last weeks was new Crown amps (XLS for Atmos/Surrounds and DSi to run 4722 active) and this week I installed new JBL SCS 8 Surrounds/Atmos so they all match and my new Sony HW65 projector. Also moved the seat up a bit for better coverage. Here are some new pics. Time to enjoy

Updated Video:
Sony HW65 projector

Updated Speakers:
JBL Pro SCS 8 x 4 for Atmos
JBL Pro SCS 8 x 4 for surrounds

Updated Amps
Crown DSI 1000 x 3 to run JBL 4722 fully active
Crown XLS 1502 x 4 to run 4 surrounds and 4 Atmos
What ATI Sig amp did you get and how do you have your speakers hooked up to it.
Allen
Old 03-20-2016, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post
What ATI Sig amp did you get and how do you have your speakers hooked up to it.
Allen
I just sold the Crown DSi amps and switched them out for an ATI signature 4003 to run my L/C/R speakers. With the DSi amps I was running them active but with the ATI I am just running my L/C/R in a traditional passive configuration. I only received the ATI amp on Monday so don't really have any long term impressions yet but so far I really like what I hear.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Did you keep your other crown amps for the surrounds?
Allen
Old 03-20-2016, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did you keep your other crown amps for the surrounds?
Allen
Yes sir, I kept the XLS 1502 for surrounds/Atmos. The reason I sold my DSI was a series of small things that ended up being a "big thing" in my mind.

1)When running my JBL active with the DSi amps there was an audible hiss at idle. This seems somewhat common with high sensitivity speakers and pro amps.

2)The fans were loud on the DSI amps (they are whisper quiet on the XLS). They didn't come on often but when they did you could hear them even with content playing.

3)The DSP presets for the 4722 run the treble hot and unless you get into the Hiqnet software, you can't really change it.

So in the end I decided to go back to a passive configuration for my L/C/R speakers and always wanted to try the ATI sigs so this gave me an excuse
Old 03-20-2016, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Look forward to hearing your thoughts after some time with the ati amp and how it sounds with your crown amps.
Thanks
Allen
Old 03-21-2016, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Look forward to hearing your thoughts after some time with the ati amp and how it sounds with your crown amps.
Thanks
Allen

Here are some updated pics:

Old 03-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Looks good I like the look of the ati amp with the heavy duty handles on the front.
Allen
Old 04-11-2016, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Thank you for the kind words. I am coming off a Sony HW50 previously. The biggest difference I can see with the new HW 65 are the contrast improvement, little bit more lumens and generally deeper blacks. I had to stick with Sony because I game quite a bit and they have the lowest lag. Wasn't quite ready to commit to a 4K projector because they still seem to be in transition. I need something that costs less than a car but also has a true 4k panel, low lag, HDR, Wide Color Gamut,etc... So still probably 1 to 2 years away from having a product in a somewhat reasonable price range that meets my needs.
Hi Frolich,

I have question pertaining your setup and gaming. Your setup is awesome, by the way! I'm planning to purchase the same projector as you and I game, as well. I'm having a house built and will have a dedicated home theater where I'll do a four to five zone dimmable light setup. With that said, I'll have complete control over the lights. I was wondering when you game, do you game with the lights completely off? I, typically, like at least a little light when I watch TV and game. Movies, I'm okay watching in the dark, but it's not always my preference. Maybe once I have a dedicated theater, I'll feel differently and want to watch in the dark more often. With as cinematic as TV programming is these days, I'll be watching a lot of TV as well. I was just wondering how you watch movies/tv and game in your setup? If you do watch tv and/or game with a bit of light, is the picture watchable in you opinion?
Old 04-11-2016, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theaterfreak360 View Post
Hi Frolich,

I have question pertaining your setup and gaming. Your setup is awesome, by the way! I'm planning to purchase the same projector as you and I game, as well. I'm having a house built and will have a dedicated home theater where I'll do a four to five zone dimmable light setup. With that said, I'll have complete control over the lights. I was wondering when you game, do you game with the lights completely off? I, typically, like at least a little light when I watch TV and game. Movies, I'm okay watching in the dark, but it's not always my preference. Maybe once I have a dedicated theater, I'll feel differently and want to watch in the dark more often. With as cinematic as TV programming is these days, I'll be watching a lot of TV as well. I was just wondering how you watch movies/tv and game in your setup? If you do watch tv and/or game with a bit of light, is the picture watchable in you opinion?
When I game they are either completely off or sometimes I keep some dimmed lights in the other part of the basement just so I can walk around and see if the projector is off. For movies I keep everything off. If you never have owned a projector and a screen before keep in mind the screen is a mirror (not really but just for illustration) that reflects lights. So the picture can get washed out with lights on..especially if the lights are right in front of the screen. Of course I am sure you will experiment once everything is set-up and find out what works best for you. Good luck on your project. I am sure it will be awesome!!!
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
When I game they are either completely off or sometimes I keep some dimmed lights in the other part of the basement just so I can walk around and see if the projector is off. For movies I keep everything off. If you never have owned a projector and a screen before keep in mind the screen is a mirror (not really but just for illustration) that reflects lights. So the picture can get washed out with lights on..especially if the lights are right in front of the screen. Of course I am sure you will experiment once everything is set-up and find out what works best for you. Good luck on your project. I am sure it will be awesome!!!
You know I'm pretty excited about getting my setup started and seeing what all of you guys have done has excited me even more! Both my wife and I are gamers and in our last home, we had a dual media setup in the bedroom that worked awesome for us. When we wanted to play co-op, we each had our own TV and separate entertainment setup.

Before when we played on just one TV, each of us would complain at some point about the other getting us killed in a game or one of us dragging the other to the end of the screen (map) when the other just wanted do some exploring somewhere else. After we did this setup...no more problems!

In the new house we're building, we're doing this same dual entertainment setup twice but with bigger TV's. Once in the bedroom with two 75" Sony TV's and then again downstairs with two Sony 75" TVs in the game-room. Each individual setup will have an Xbox One, PS4, gaming PC and cable box. In the photo the TV sizes were 65" and it worked great, but when you're upgrading bigger is always better right?!

We're also doing the dedicated theater as well. The room dimensions are 16'.4" x 25".3. The screen I'm going with is a 150" 16:9 diagonal Carada MMS screen (probably the BW) or the Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 with the horizontal masking system. It'll be a two rows of four seat theater and I'm planning to put acoustic panels all around the room. The speakers and subs will be in-wall. I just prefer a clean look. It'll be a 7.4.4 Dolby Atmos system with the Episode Signature 1500 speaker line. And the projector will be the Sony HW65ES. You guys have inspired me, so I have to try and represent the forum right!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baker - Dual Media Setup 3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	1372090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baker - Dual Media Setup 4.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	1372098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Media Setup.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	1372106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baker - Dual Media Cable Mgmt.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1372114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baker - Media Console.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1372130  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Media Setup 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1372138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baker - Dual Media Lights.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	1372146  

Last edited by Theaterfreak360; 04-11-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theaterfreak360 View Post
You know I'm pretty excited about getting my setup started and seeing what all of you guys have done has excited me even more! Both my wife and I are gamers and in our last home, we had a dual media setup in the bedroom that worked awesome for us. When we wanted to play co-op, we each had our own TV and separate entertainment setup.

Before when we played on just one TV, each of us would complain at some point about the other getting us killed in a game or one of us dragging the other to the end of the screen (map) when the other just wanted do some exploring somewhere else. After we did this setup...no more problems!

In the new house we're building, we're doing this same dual entertainment setup twice but with bigger TV's. Once in the bedroom with two 75" Sony TV's and then again downstairs with two Sony 75" TVs in the game-room. Each individual setup will have an Xbox One, PS4, gaming PC and cable box. In the photo the TV sizes were 65" and it worked great, but when you're upgrading bigger is always better right?!

We're also doing the dedicated theater as well. The room dimensions are 16'.4" x 25".3. The screen I'm going with is a 150" 16:9 diagonal Carada MMS screen (probably the BW) or the Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 with the horizontal masking system. It'll be a two rows of four seat theater and I'm planning to put acoustic panels all around the room. The speakers and subs will be in-wall. I just prefer a clean look. It'll be a 7.4.4 Dolby Atmos system with the Episode Signature 1500 speaker line. And the projector will be the Sony HW65ES. You guys have inspired me, so I have to try and represent the forum right!
Sounds like an awesome project all around. You should start a build thread once everything kicks off. Good luck
Old 04-19-2016, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So my new 2453H SL compression drivers arrived for my JBL 4722 speakers. Going to replace the stock 2432H compression driver in my L/C/R speakers tonight
65Goat and Patriot666 like this.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by frohlich View Post
so my new 2453h sl compression drivers arrived for my jbl 4722 speakers. Going to replace the stock 2432h compression driver in my l/c/r speakers tonight
soooooo........
Old 04-20-2016, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
soooooo........
Here is what I posted on the 4722N thread:

"So I was able to spend several hours last night and even an hour this morning after my wife left for work and kids went to school listening to the 4722s with the new 2453H SL drivers. Please keep in mind this is my honeymoon period review and it's easy to fall in love with the "shiny new toy".

1)First off, a big thank you to Notnyt for all his research, effort and detailed instructions he left earlier on this thread. It literally took me 5 minutes per speaker max to swap out the drivers.

2)The first words that come to mind are smooth, refined and a tad less bright than the 2432H

3)Its hard to quantify changes in the audio world so I would say 1 to 2% for HT and 3 to 4% for blu ray concerts and 2 channel music.

4)If you factor in that you can sell the stock 2432H drivers on ebay for about $150, the incremental cost to upgrade to these drivers is only about $150 per speaker. For me, that is a no brainer and glad I made the move. Though I could have easily lived with the 2432H drivers forever. This upgrade does not "transform" the speaker...mainly because it doesn't need it. It is so strong standard that any improvements are going to be incremental.

5)I will post more long term impressions as I get more time with them.

Hope this helps and thanks again to Notnyt for all the help, information and documentation to help others on this thread. It is very much appreciated!!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Stewart , Jtr , Nad , Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panamax