It's almost finished... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 12-30-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just about finished with my living room HT and I thought I'd show it off a bit.smile.gif

*Please excuse the rough cuts behind the amp. All I had at the time was a hole saw and a hacksaw. The wife is making me redo it.*

The specifics:
Elite PRO70X5FD, Fat PS3 for BluRay/DVD/CD, Marantz AV7701, McIntosh MC8207, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5s, Paradigm cc590 v.5 center, Klipsch SF2 rears(temporary), Furman Elite-20pfi power conditioner, music is served up via HDMI from a home-built PC

Still need a two good subs, though. And possibly Peachtree's new DAC that has yet to hit the market.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Seth

Elite PRO70X5FD, Fat PS3 for BluRay/DVD/CD, Marantz AV7701, McIntosh MC8207, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5s, Paradigm cc590 v.5 center, Klipsch SF2 rears(temporary)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-30-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Looks great. I am sure you are enjoying the heck out of it.

P.S. I feel embarased that I know this, but is that a Pottery Barn Benchwright media table? We have a pottery barn Benchwright kitchen table and console table and that looks awful similar.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Looks great. I am sure you are enjoying the heck out of it.

P.S. I feel embarased that I know this, but is that a Pottery Barn Benchwright media table? We have a pottery barn Benchwright kitchen table and console table and that looks awful similar.

Heh, why yes, yes it is.smile.gif

Elite PRO70X5FD, Fat PS3 for BluRay/DVD/CD, Marantz AV7701, McIntosh MC8207, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5s, Paradigm cc590 v.5 center, Klipsch SF2 rears(temporary)
post #4 of 24 Old 12-30-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss2nv View Post

I thought so...like I said, not very manly that I knew that wink.gif If you are ever bored you can look at my thread for my HT room and the last two pictures are of our new kitchen and the Benchwright table is in it. That is my wife's HT room smile.gif

BTW, I have owned many Paradigm Reference speakers over the years and am still a fan of their products. In your current set-up, I especially love the amp and TV. Well done.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-30-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Quote:

I thought so...like I said, not very manly that I knew that wink.gif If you are ever bored you can look at my thread for my HT room and the last two pictures are of our new kitchen and the Benchwright table is in it. That is my wife's HT room smile.gif

BTW, I have owned many Paradigm Reference speakers over the years and am still a fan of their products. In your current set-up, I especially love the amp and TV. Well done.

Appreciate it!

post #6 of 24 Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 262
post #7 of 24 Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Is that a HAF 922?

It is actually a HAF 932.

post #8 of 24 Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah OK I thought it could be that as well. Anyway great looking system, Iove the look of Paradigm speakers. Have any other pictures of your system?
post #9 of 24 Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Great looking setup, love all your equipment, specially that tv.biggrin.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #10 of 24 Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Ah OK I thought it could be that as well. Anyway great looking system, Iove the look of Paradigm speakers. Have any other pictures of your system?

Appreciate it. And no, I don't really have any other shots currently. I might take a few more later tonight though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Great looking setup, love all your equipment, specially that tv.biggrin.gif

Thanks man!

post #11 of 24 Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 281
This is pure excellence! It's clear that you knew exactly what you wanted, because that's not gear that one acquires by mere happenstance. Your planning was well worth it. Congratulations!
post #12 of 24 Old 12-31-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

This is pure excellence! It's clear that you knew exactly what you wanted, because that's not gear that one acquires by mere happenstance. Your planning was well worth it. Congratulations!

Thanks for the kind words!

The TV was a sure thing, but to be honest, the pre-amp, amp, and speakers were a long, drawn out process. We started with B&W CM9s, a B&W CMC2 center, and a Marantz SR7007 receiver. They sounded great in the listening room at the Magnolia store, but once we got them home, it was a different story. It sounded as if I'd thrown a wet towel over the top of the towers' mids and highs. I tried re-positioning the speakers, inserting the foam port fillers, as well as adjusting the settings on the AVR (Audyssey), but just could not get the sound that we were looking for.

We ended up returning the B&Ws and going to a different store and purchasing the Paradigms. While we were waiting for the Paradigms to come in, I decided to upgrade the SR7007 to an AV7701 and the matching Marantz MM7055 amp. Well, after receiving the pre-amp, I was stuck waiting for the amp for quite some time. I basically gave up on it. Magnolia kept pushing back the ship date and didn't really know when they were going to get one in stock. I spoke to one of the sales guys with Magnolia, and he said that since they could not get the MM7055 in the foreseeable future, they could offer a discount on another amp. I have always wanted McIntosh gear, even since I was 12 or 13 years old, when I first saw a brochure (I was using the Grandparents hand-me-down Radio Shack Realistic gear with Optimus speakers at the time). With the sale they were running on it plus the extra discount, it was around $1,500 off their normal price. The deal was pretty-much sealed. I picked up the Furman while I was there as well.

I know some folks don't have high regards for Best Buy/Magnolia (and big-box stores in general), but I gotta say that I have been very pleased with them. They let me keep the B&Ws for way past the return date, so that we would have something listen to, even when they knew that I was not going to buy the replacements from them. Although, I gotta say that I would have, if they were a Paradigm dealer. I also got to keep the SR7007 for something like 2 months, while waiting on the MM7055 to come in. On top of all that, I could not beat the 3 years, no interest financing.

post #13 of 24 Old 07-31-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

Just picked up my sub. It may not be the most cost efficient, but I like it so far:

It's a Martin Logan Descent i.

post #14 of 24 Old 08-01-2013, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

Update:

Just picked up my sub. It may not be the most cost efficient, but I like it so far:

Nicely done ! and looks like the gangs all here!

enjoy smile.gif
post #15 of 24 Old 08-01-2013, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

Update:

Nicely done ! and looks like the gangs all here!

enjoy smile.gif
post #16 of 24 Old 08-01-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice. that sub should rock that room. ML subs are a bit on the underrated side personally.
post #17 of 24 Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 66
That's a very nice system. I have heard the original Decent before they went to the "i" version and it was a very impressive sub. I really liked the way it sounded with movies. When I started buying my first real system I went with Focal audio, not ML so I bought a Focal sub. But I was very impressed with the Decent. I am sure your system looks and sounds great. I would only recommend two things. One you may not be able to do and the other is free. First, the free. Pull your front speakers more forward so they are not against the wall and so they are in line or just ahead of that massive cabinet. It will make a huge change for the better if you listen to 2ch music. Trust me. Second, if you can, look into room treatments. They will really improve the sound you are getting now. You don't have to go crazy. Even just a few in the right places can make a difference. I would look up GIK acoustics. They are pretty afordable and very easy to talk to. It will make a bigger change then you think. They even have "art" ones, although they are more money, they have a higher WAF if that is a concern. Plus good stuff on the Mac amp. I have always loved their gear.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #18 of 24 Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

That's a very nice system. I have heard the original Decent before they went to the "i" version and it was a very impressive sub. I really liked the way it sounded with movies. When I started buying my first real system I went with Focal audio, not ML so I bought a Focal sub. But I was very impressed with the Decent. I am sure your system looks and sounds great. I would only recommend two things. One you may not be able to do and the other is free. First, the free. Pull your front speakers more forward so they are not against the wall and so they are in line or just ahead of that massive cabinet. It will make a huge change for the better if you listen to 2ch music. Trust me. Second, if you can, look into room treatments. They will really improve the sound you are getting now. You don't have to go crazy. Even just a few in the right places can make a difference. I would look up GIK acoustics. They are pretty afordable and very easy to talk to. It will make a bigger change then you think. They even have "art" ones, although they are more money, they have a higher WAF if that is a concern. Plus good stuff on the Mac amp. I have always loved their gear.

I appreciate the suggestions and the kind words. I am still playing with the placement of all the speakers, actually. I will definitely try moving the front mains forward some, along with the center to match. I am also looking into buying some acoustic panels to put behind the fronts and in the corners. I will look into GIK. Thanks again.

Seth

post #19 of 24 Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 AM

Liked: 12
wow! you got some fire power there bro. makes my system look like i dug it out of some swamp or something LOL. Mc Intosh - nice!!!

I look forward to learning more from all of you.
post #20 of 24 Old 08-11-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by excusemaker View Post

wow! you got some fire power there bro. makes my system look like i dug it out of some swamp or something LOL. Mc Intosh - nice!!!

Thanks man!

post #21 of 24 Old 08-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Lookin good wink.gif
How's that ML sub getting along with the rest of your toys?

Just my 2¢ - take it or leave it for others

Halo ® 3 Beta Tester, Reach ® Beta Tester, COD ® 4 Beta Tester
XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #22 of 24 Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Hi ss2nv, another big congrats to your setup, you have a fine selection of excellent gear meant to please eyes and ears for an extended period of time during the coming years, the least to say.

Also appreciate the good quality photos you have shared, meantime it would be also nice to see the rear side of the room provided you have surrounds or even rear surround speakers.

Furthermore, if I may, I'd like to give you some more "tips & hints" on how to make improvements in SQ (sound quality) with a bit more effort.

1. As others have already noted your front wall seems to be too much "empty" and that emptiness may cause a lot of unwanted reflections especially in the mid to high frequencies degrading sound imaging and dialog intelligibility. Wall treatments may/should be a good solution, but since as I see this is a living room a bit more furniture may also do the trick. Sometimes bookshelves (with a lot of books) will do just fine for taming such phenomena. Please take a visit to my setup (link in my sig) to see how my front stage looks like.

2. About center speaker: proper setup is mainly responsible for dialog intelligibility. You may try to find a way to tilt it with some clever supporters to make it face seated ear hight and you may also try to put a small table cloth under it to tame reflections (in the mid to high frequency range) in order to avoid an effect called 'smearing".

3. Coffee table: although I know very well that a coffee table in a living room is a must, but again to tame reflections off that hard surface another table cloth is recommended. You may consult WAF and give her a free hand here. She will appreciate your thoughtfullness. Guaranteed!! smile.gif

4. Subwoofer placement: if it were me I would put the sub between the cabinet and the right side tower. Placing it into a corner (as seen on your photo) may result in something called "boominess" as a result of "corner gain", but a placement out of the corner will most probably help tackle this issue so that you can get smooth, deep and even bass.

5. Although you didn't mention, hopefully you have done the auto setup with Audyssey MultEQ XT available on your Marantz. When done just set all your speakers to "Small", choose a crossover frequency of 80 Hz for all speakers, open up a cold beer and enjoy! smile.gif

6. Here's a song from a Danish group you may play to test your system will all possible frequencies from deep bass to mind blowing highs: Bliss: Song for Olabi

Come back please. smile.gif
post #23 of 24 Old 08-20-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Hi ss2nv, another big congrats to your setup, you have a fine selection of excellent gear meant to please eyes and ears for an extended period of time during the coming years, the least to say.

Also appreciate the good quality photos you have shared, meantime it would be also nice to see the rear side of the room provided you have surrounds or even rear surround speakers.

Furthermore, if I may, I'd like to give you some more "tips & hints" on how to make improvements in SQ (sound quality) with a bit more effort.

1. As others have already noted your front wall seems to be too much "empty" and that emptiness may cause a lot of unwanted reflections especially in the mid to high frequencies degrading sound imaging and dialog intelligibility. Wall treatments may/should be a good solution, but since as I see this is a living room a bit more furniture may also do the trick. Sometimes bookshelves (with a lot of books) will do just fine for taming such phenomena. Please take a visit to my setup (link in my sig) to see how my front stage looks like.

2. About center speaker: proper setup is mainly responsible for dialog intelligibility. You may try to find a way to tilt it with some clever supporters to make it face seated ear hight and you may also try to put a small table cloth under it to tame reflections (in the mid to high frequency range) in order to avoid an effect called 'smearing".

3. Coffee table: although I know very well that a coffee table in a living room is a must, but again to tame reflections off that hard surface another table cloth is recommended. You may consult WAF and give her a free hand here. She will appreciate your thoughtfullness. Guaranteed!! smile.gif

4. Subwoofer placement: if it were me I would put the sub between the cabinet and the right side tower. Placing it into a corner (as seen on your photo) may result in something called "boominess" as a result of "corner gain", but a placement out of the corner will most probably help tackle this issue so that you can get smooth, deep and even bass.

5. Although you didn't mention, hopefully you have done the auto setup with Audyssey MultEQ XT available on your Marantz. When done just set all your speakers to "Small", choose a crossover frequency of 80 Hz for all speakers, open up a cold beer and enjoy! smile.gif

6. Here's a song from a Danish group you may play to test your system will all possible frequencies from deep bass to mind blowing highs: Bliss: Song for Olabi

Come back please. smile.gif

Thanks man! I appreciate the suggestions! I am definitely up for trying different things with all of this.

I do have surrounds, but they really aren't worth showing. They are two Klipsch Synergy (SF2) towers. I need to have towers in the rear, because they are a little in the open and we have a Doberman who likes to knock bookshelf speakers off of their stands. The towers are too heavy to tip over if / when he bumps into them. One day, they will be replaced with Paradigm Studio 60s. I will also be getting a few acoustic panels in the future to go on the front wall. I am also still trying different locations for the sub. I tried the Audyssey setup, but didn't really like what it ended up sounding like. I ended up manually adjusting it to my liking, but I do have the speakers set to small and the crossover set at 80Hz.

Thanks again! I still have a long road ahead and probably will never actually be "finished" with it. smile.gif

post #24 of 24 Old 04-23-2014, 11:23 AM

Liked: 10

Heh, sweet setup. I'm actually here though cause I was googling for pictures of that Pottery Barn Benchwright Media Console. I'm trying to build our own and I can't seem to find the Hinges that they use on the those flap down drawers. If you're still active on this thread, I don't suppose it'd be possible to get some pictures and a description of how they have that setup? It looks like two knife hinges on the left and right, there's gotta be some sort of hinge on the bottom, and then magnets in the corner to hold it in place when it's up?

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Marantz Av7701 Audio Video Preamp Processor , Mcintosh Labs , Paradigm , Klipsch
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page