you2slo's basement system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since I have been lurking for a while and I am changing things up this weekend, I figured I would share my basement system.

This is how my system looked a year ago. This was the carry over from the college days. Yamaha speakers and an entry level Sony receiver with 1 digital input.

Then about a year ago I upgraded. Klipsch RF-82 II surround package.

Then a couple months ago I upgraded again! Klipsch SW-115

Then another upgrade. Integra DTR-70.2

Which brings us to today.

NOW TIME FOR THE UPGRADES!!!! I will post pics as I work.

Sanus Woodbrook 66" rack

LG 60PA6500 plasma

On order is a Panamax 5300-PM for protection and cleaning. It should be in sometime next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Always glad to welcome a fellow Klipsch owner to the forums. smile.gif

Nice upgrade from what you previously had. What did you end up doing with the old Yamaha speakers and Cerwin Vega sub?
post #3 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

post #4 of 12 Old 01-20-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

I sold all the old equipment to a coworker.

Updates so far:

Installed a PS Audio Power Port

Unpacked and built the Sanus rack

Figuring out where I wanted to put the equipment took some time. The Sanus Woodbrook rack is discontinued and comes with only 2 glass door inserts. I like to look at the equipment to see time on the cable box as well as the audio format for the reciever. Plus, after spending a few buck on nice equipment, I want to look at it and show it off to people when they come over.

The cherry finish of the RF-82s looks like crap next to the rack. I plan on changing speakers this spring when Paradigm comes out with the new Studio series so I the front three will all be black.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That stand looks amazing. Any particular reason you are going from Klipsch to Paradigm?

I am confused about one thing, in this picture were you in the middle of hooking stuff up or am I missing something? It looks like you have only positive terminals connected and negative leads going into positive binding posts. I'm not razzing you or anything I'm just a bit confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by you2slo View Post

I sold all the old equipment to a coworker.

post #6 of 12 Old 01-20-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I'm looking forward to seeing this system progress! I owned an RF82-based system as well, up until about a month ago when I embarked on an upgrade journey. I also have the Power Port Premier. It's clear that you know exactly what you want. How do you like the Audyssey XT32?
post #7 of 12 Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. Too bad you're moving away from Klipsch so soon but hey you like what you like and it's good you're at least decided on what you want. The Sanus stand looks fantastic. I have Sanus myself and have always like their stuff.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-20-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

I am finished for now. Before I got the rack I was looking at 2 different racks. The one I did not buy allowed me to put the center channel in thecenter of the stand. This rack does not allow me to put the speaker in the center. It will sound better but I did not buy a mount for the TV. So for now I don't have a center channel.

I did not put the backs on the rack because I still have to mount the TV. I put in a URC RF dimmer as well.

My temporary surge strip and cable box.

I left the bottom middle spot open for my next upgrade but I need the funds to build a little bit. Who can guess what it is?

My somewhat beastly receiver and bluray player. It allows me to bridge the fronts and surround back channels.

post #9 of 12 Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotech View Post

That stand looks amazing. Any particular reason you are going from Klipsch to Paradigm?

I am confused about one thing, in this picture were you in the middle of hooking stuff up or am I missing something? It looks like you have only positive terminals connected and negative leads going into positive binding posts. I'm not razzing you or anything I'm just a bit confused.

I have the front and surround back channels bridged. This requires you to use the positive front as the "+" and the positive surround back as the "-". My wife hates the way the RS-52s look on the wall. And she wants a smaller front speaker as well. Plus I am always looking to upgrade. I am looking at Paradigm or Totem Acoustic.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-20-2013, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by you2slo View Post

I have the front and surround back channels bridged. This requires you to use the positive front as the "+" and the positive surround back as the "-". My wife hates the way the RS-52s look on the wall. And she wants a smaller front speaker as well. Plus I am always looking to upgrade. I am looking at Paradigm or Totem Acoustic.

I'd googled your AVR after I posted that. Neat, I hadn't seen anything like that before. Don't think you can go wrong with either Paradigm or Totem, I think they're both Canadian.

post #11 of 12 Old 03-10-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Since my last post I have been busy. I mounted the TV, installed my Panamax power conditioner, and a 5 channel Parasound amp!

I'll start with the TV mount. I ordered a Sanus FMS (furniture mount system). I had to modify my A/V cabinet a little to get it to work with the Sanus Woodbrook rack. I knew this going into the project so I had some 2x4s ready to go. I had to add the wood to space the stand off the top of the rack.

Next step was to do some simple measuring to figure out height,

It was pretty easy to figure out. I referred to the manual to know which tiny bolts went where.

Final product:

post #12 of 12 Old 03-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Great updates to the system and the basement. How do you like the Klipsch sub? They are not really known for Subs. The flat screen looks great on the stand. Can't wait to see what you upgrade to. JT
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page