Hayden's Living Room HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi there all,

I have been lurking around the forum for a while now (some of you guys have some killer setups) and decided it was time to show off my wares.

The current setup is as follows:

TV - LG 60LM6450
DVR - Telstra T-Box
AVR - Yamaha RX-V773
Fronts - Yamaha NS-777
Centre - Yamaha NS-444C
Rear Surrounds - Yamaha NS-333

Things on their way as of Friday (fingers crossed they'll arrive late next week):
Sub - Paradigm Studio SUB12 w/ PBK
Surrounds - Yamaha NS-555
YWA-10 wireless adapter for AVR

The tiles on the floor are 300mm x 300mm to give you a reference for scale.

On the right hand side of the pic are a pair of NS-333 bookshelves that will be connected as rear surrounds when the rest of my gear. I will add more pics when they are delivered and set up later next week.

Still to come is an AV Rack so i can get the reciever off the second shelf under the TV and bring the centre channel up to a more reasonable height. I'm looking at the Jual JF204 to match the TV stand.

jual_jf204_hifi_stand.jpg

Thanks for looking,

and to all the Aussies out there...HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!! biggrin.gif
hyghwayman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Nice setup you've got here. That stand on the way is stunning! if I might make one suggestion, you may want to add more separation between the L and R speakers, and toe them in a bit. You'd get an even better soundstage this way. i look forward to hearing your PBK results. The Paradigm's SubXX series is very well respected. Did I mention that rack is awesome? :-) Looking good!
post #3 of 15 Old 01-27-2013, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Brolic. I had actually thought about widening the fronts. I am looking at putting the sub to the right of the TV and the stand to the left, with the speakers either side of them. The only problem is that there is no Australian suppliers for the stand, so I have to order it from the UK, and the cost of postage is just as much as the unit itself. But, as you say it's a bloody nice stand. I am trying to convince the Minister of War and Finance that it will be worth getting, she likes the look of it but isn't too keen on the price we're going to have to pay.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

So, after taking into consideration Brolic's suggestion of widening the front speakers and toeing them in... the room now looks like this.

It made quite a difference to the sound.

I also dragged the couch in from the other room, soooo much more comfortable than the one we had in here.

I got an e-mail today that my other gear is on its way too... can't wait until it gets here.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades84 View Post

Thanks Brolic. I had actually thought about widening the fronts. I am looking at putting the sub to the right of the TV and the stand to the left, with the speakers either side of them. The only problem is that there is no Australian suppliers for the stand, so I have to order it from the UK, and the cost of postage is just as much as the unit itself. But, as you say it's a bloody nice stand. I am trying to convince the Minister of War and Finance that it will be worth getting, she likes the look of it but isn't too keen on the price we're going to have to pay.

Lolololol@ the Minister of War & Finance. Yeah I can imagine the cost of importing some items is staggering. Perhaps if you showed a local carpenter the stand, he might be able to replicate it closely. Might be worth looking into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades84 View Post

So, after taking into consideration Brolic's suggestion of widening the front speakers and toeing them in... the room now looks like this.

It made quite a difference to the sound.

I also dragged the couch in from the other room, soooo much more comfortable than the one we had in here.

I got an e-mail today that my other gear is on its way too... can't wait until it gets here.

The room is looking good Mr.84.....I bet the depth and breadth of the soundstage increased significantly. The couch makes the room look very very relaxing! (I'm sure the MoW&F is pleased as wella
post #6 of 15 Old 01-30-2013, 06:31 AM

Liked: 15
I must back up my man Matt AKA BrolicBeast here, that stand looks awesome and yeah you should show the pic to a local carpenter and see what they say, I'm sure that the cost will even be less than original one without the shipping.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

So, the rest of my gear arrived today (so stoked).

I rearranged the living area agian; the barrel chair just didn't fit the room and seemed to be blocking the front right...So now it's just the sectional sofa.

Please excuse the mess on the ottoman. I've still got to connect the NS-333 Bookshelves, but I'm not sure whether to set them up as front presence speakers or rear surrounds.

I LOVE THIS SUB

The piano black finish of the sub matches my Yammy's nicely and the cut of the enclosure is pretty much the same shape too (WIN)
I think I need to spend some time on cable organisation too.

I've run the PBK-1 on the SUB12 and here are the results.

This was after about 3 hours of warming it up. I'll give it a week to break in and then run the PBK again.
I've run the YPAO in the main listening position and the result isn't too bad. I'm going to tweak it a little over the weekend when I get a bit more time, but it's fine for now and I'll have to run it again when I install the NS-333's anyway.

Thanks for taking your time to have a look.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

RE: the AV rack. I live in a remote area of Northern Australia and having the raw materials, ie. walnut veneer and black glass panels sent, then paying someone to construct it would probably cost just as much as having the flat-pack unit sent to me. But thanks for the suggestion Brolic and aldiallo.
For the moment I'm considering mounting the centre above the TV and using the stand I have now for equipment.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
That rack looks clean! Nice set up!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #10 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hades,

Very nice, congrats! LOL, those stands are badass!
post #11 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Soooo.... I've changed things up again.

I've wall mounted the TV and now use the rack I had to house the receiver, BR player and centre channel.

Also looking to add another SUB12 in the coming months. Cannot wait.
slemmon likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-25-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

I finally bit the bullet and purchased my second Paradigm SUB 12. The bass in the room is so much better, even at a lower output.

I got my DIY on built some panels to tame the high freq. echoes in the room. Stereo sound image is vastly improved and surround still sounds great.

The panels are made from 19 x 43mm pine backed with 3mm MDF board. The panels are all 1200mm long and 600, 400 and 200mm wide.

I filled them with 50mm acoustic wedge foam.

Covered them with hessian (burlap), the frames can be seen in this picture because of the flash on the camera, but they are unnoticeable now that they are up.

First set of panels up.

All finished. I'm pretty happy with the end result visually and acoustically they make a world of difference.

post #13 of 15 Old 12-27-2013, 06:32 AM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Those panels look very nice. Well done.

Good, cheap, easy - pick any two.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-28-2013, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wow!!, very nice. You are heading in the right direction with all your changes. Raising the center was definitely the thing to do and the panels are awesome.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-28-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'm quite happy with the room. Although I'm looking at making some more absorber panels and some diffuser panels for the wall to the left of the TV screen and diffusers for the rear of the room. Unfortunately the right side of the room is all glass doors and windows, so there really isn't much I can do there.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page