One bedroom apartment setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 3 Post By gbdavidx

post #1 of 15 Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 63
This is the setup I have in my new one-bedroom apartment. I have nothing on a lot of setups here, but for the money, I think I did really well.

60" Sharp LED LCD 3D Quattron Smart TV
Onkyo S9400THX 7.1 channel THX-certified HTIB system
DVDO EDGE GREEN
Monoprice HDMI switch
Samsung Blu-Ray player
XBOX 360
Roku 2 XS
Apple TV
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Gamecube
Nintendo N64
Sony VCR
Composite video switcher
Monoprice Composite to HDMI converter
Logitech Bluetooth to analog audio adapter

HTPC:
35W i3
8GB RAM
120GB OCZ Agility 3
3TB WD Caviar Green
Ceton InfiniTV4 USB

I just found out (after a washing machine disaster that flooded the hallway) that no one lives below me, so time for some SURROUND SOUND!!! It's used mainly for TV, occasional movies (usually through VUDU HDX), and occasional casual gaming (usual Wii). At about 9 feet, the 60" TV is perfect. I could do a little bit bigger for HDX movies and Blu-rays, but Comcast's poor picture quality would be even worse than it is now on the TV side, and Wii would be pretty terrible at 480p. I recently replaced my Comcast DVR with the HTPC. What an improvement! I have a Comcast double play package for two years with Blast! internet and the higher up digital cable package plus HBO and a bunch of other crap.

Sorry for the weird lighting and TERRIBLE pictures, there just isn't much light in that side of the room, so they look really fluorescent from the flash. They were taken on my SGS III (also have an iPhone).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You need a universal remote!
post #3 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 04:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 203
And less video games. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbdavidx View Post

You need a universal remote!

Haha. I've heard others say this. I live alone, and I like the stock remotes. When I live with others, however, I will have to get one so they can figure out how the heck to use the system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

And less video games. wink.gif

I don't play them often at all. An occasional weekend with friends. One of my co-workers like to play XBOX and some friends from college like Wii. Both are great on this system.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some pics of the inside:

post #6 of 15 Old 09-09-2014, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
You have a good set of electronics there.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that TV stand, and for how much?

Samsung PN60F5300 TV | Antec bias lighting | Energy RC-Micro 5.1 speaker system | Yamaha RX-V375 receiver | Xbox 360 S | Roku LT | Sony BDP-S1100 Blu-ray player | Aura AST-2B-4 Pro bass shakers
post #7 of 15 Old 09-10-2014, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .SKITTLE. View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that TV stand, and for how much?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't install the doors because of ventilation. It's a great value and hold a ton of stuff. It was closer to $200 when I got it, an even better deal now. It isn't the greatest quality, but I have it chock full of crap and it hasn't fallen apart yet. Eventually I want to get a Standout Designs stand for a main living area and move most of the stuff to a media/game room with a projector, but that's a while off.

I am living in a house now with roommates, and I have a TiVo Premiere XL4 (MCE was a disaster), a Wii U, a UPS, a roommate's 360 in addition to mine, and a few other miscellaneous additions. I also built some speaker stands that have a style similar to the stand and my IKEA Hemnes furniture. I should get some pics of it later this week... The wiring behind the thing is a total disaster right now, but luckily there's no easy way to look back there.

I've learned a few lessons from adding various pieces of equipment, and it should be re-wired, but I'm not going to bother, because my lease it up in May. If I can find a new job, I'd like to buy either a house or a condo, and that will hopefully have room for a media/game room type of thing, or at least a home theater room with front projection and 7.2.4 surround...
post #8 of 15 Old 12-14-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't install the doors because of ventilation. It's a great value and hold a ton of stuff. It was closer to $200 when I got it, an even better deal now. It isn't the greatest quality, but I have it chock full of crap and it hasn't fallen apart yet. Eventually I want to get a Standout Designs stand for a main living area and move most of the stuff to a media/game room with a projector, but that's a while off.

I am living in a house now with roommates, and I have a TiVo Premiere XL4 (MCE was a disaster), a Wii U, a UPS, a roommate's 360 in addition to mine, and a few other miscellaneous additions. I also built some speaker stands that have a style similar to the stand and my IKEA Hemnes furniture. I should get some pics of it later this week... The wiring behind the thing is a total disaster right now, but luckily there's no easy way to look back there.

I've learned a few lessons from adding various pieces of equipment, and it should be re-wired, but I'm not going to bother, because my lease it up in May. If I can find a new job, I'd like to buy either a house or a condo, and that will hopefully have room for a media/game room type of thing, or at least a home theater room with front projection and 7.2.4 surround...
Nice! $135 isn't too bad at all, especially shipped.

I'm in a bedroom now, and I've painted my walls medium-gray, with all-black furniture, electronics, etc. I've been looking at something like this, and it looks pretty good for the area.

I assume it's particle board, so I wonder if it would hold up a 50-lb. Samsung PN51F4500 okay, in addition to electronics like you have?

Sorry for the late reply; I haven't checked my profile on AVS in a while.

Samsung PN60F5300 TV | Antec bias lighting | Energy RC-Micro 5.1 speaker system | Yamaha RX-V375 receiver | Xbox 360 S | Roku LT | Sony BDP-S1100 Blu-ray player | Aura AST-2B-4 Pro bass shakers
post #9 of 15 Old 12-15-2014, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .SKITTLE. View Post
Nice! $135 isn't too bad at all, especially shipped.

I'm in a bedroom now, and I've painted my walls medium-gray, with all-black furniture, electronics, etc. I've been looking at something like this, and it looks pretty good for the area.

I assume it's particle board, so I wonder if it would hold up a 50-lb. Samsung PN51F4500 okay, in addition to electronics like you have?

Sorry for the late reply; I haven't checked my profile on AVS in a while.
Whoops. Guess I never posted those pics. I'll get around to it eventually. I have a 60" Sharp LED-LCD on there, in addition to all the stuff in the pictures and the internet claims it's 76 pounds, although I don't think it's anywhere near that. The only thing that isn't solid on it is the backing material, but it's mostly because I have so much cabling crammed through the gaps that some of the stiffer cables are bending and pulling the backing, but it's still on there, it's just not completely solid. I do have Redmere HDMI cables, which helps a lot in terms of cabling.

My setup now has the DVDO EDGE on the bottom, the GCN and N64 up top, my TiVo on the upper right, and the XBOX and Wii U have moved to the bottom right. My UPS and HTPC are on the floor to the right of it, and I've added some external hard drives, a few more power strips, my roommate's XBOX, and a Chromecast and Fire TV Stick behind the TV.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-16-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Great job on the remote collection - impressive! But seriously, sweet game setup.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #11 of 15 Old 12-16-2014, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo View Post
Great job on the remote collection - impressive! But seriously, sweet game setup.
Haha thanks. You can tell I love Nintendo games! I counted, and I have 19 Nintendo controllers now. Yeah, it's kind of out of hand. I have picked up a few more remotes too, although I don't have the Comcast and MCE ones anymore. I now have an IR TiVo peanut, the Slide Pro RF TiVo remote, and a remote for my Fire TV Stick.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Man, I miss my N64!! I should hook it up for the holidays.

Keep having fun with those Nintendo games. They are so much better than recent games. Tell me you have Mario Kart or Party... that's always a fun party. No pun intended.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #13 of 15 Old 12-17-2014, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
Man, I miss my N64!! I should hook it up for the holidays.

Keep having fun with those Nintendo games. They are so much better than recent games. Tell me you have Mario Kart or Party... that's always a fun party. No pun intended.
I have MK 64, DD, Wii, and 8, and Mario Party 8 and 9.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Ahhhh. Good times! :relaxed:
post #15 of 15 Old 02-23-2015, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Haha. I've heard others say this. I live alone, and I like the stock remotes. When I live with others, however, I will have to get one so they can figure out how the heck to use the system.
I have had 3 roommates for a year and half now, and I don't have a universal remote. I made some excel schematics showing how the thing works, two of them use it on occasion, the third doesn't. They mostly watch TV upstairs on the main level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page