Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #91 of 116 Old 07-30-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Sweet room hoping some day of having a room as perfect as this one, and equipment nicely arranged around the room. The acoustic panels looking great.

Djoel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I've been asked countless times about my system and what I use. I've never gotten around to taking any pictures but my good friend Shawn McGrath is an amazing photographer so I asked if he could do some shots for me. Room was done completely by the wife and I. Both of us work in acoustics professionally. The room was designed to be a reference for both video and audio playback with as little compromise possible for both. The room is obviously painted black with black velvet curtains made by my wife surrounding the screen and covering the side windows (along with black-out blinds). I also put Protostar flocking paper on the ceiling from the screen to the first reflection panels to cut down any reflections. Everything done in this room short of laying down the carpet and installing four dedicated 20-amp circuits was done by the two of us.

The System (UPDATED July 2014):

Video

JVC X-700 D-ILA Projector (Chief Mount on custom rails for changes to throw)
Lumagen Radiance 2041
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray Player (region free playback)
Oppo BDP-103D Blu-ray Player
Stewart Filmscreen Studiotek 100 (120" diagonal)
Carada Masquerade Masking System

Audio

Anthem Statement D2V 3D AV Processor
Emotiva XPR-1 Monoblock Amplifiers (Main L/C/R)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 Stereo Amp (surrounds)
Audyssey SubEQ
Legacy Audio Focus SE (L/R)
Legacy Audio Marquis HD (C)
Legacy Audio Phantom HD (Surrounds)
Dual Seaton Sound Submersive HP+ Subwoofers
Dual Seaton Sound F2 Subwoofers
VPI Traveller Turntable
Lyra Kleos Cartridge
Parsound Halo JC3 phono preamp
Baetis Audio XR2 Media Server

Cabling by Audioquest, Bettercables and Accell

Exact Power EP-15A Voltage Regulator
Exact Power SP-15 Balanced Power Transformer

Remote system using iRule

Onix Equipment Racks
Lutron Lighting
Acoustic Treatments by Vicoustic
Riser designed by Auralex

Seating by Berkline and Costco

All calibrations done with Spectracal Calman 5 software and a Klein K-10A tri-stim profiled to a Jeti Specbos spectra.

NEW PHOTOS!!

Recently had the entire room acoustically modeled and treated by the folks at Vicoustic. I will have a feature article about the process soon but here are some wonderful pics that Shawn took of the room after everything was installed.

Thanks to German Sotello for some new pics of the Legacy Audio speakers. I will have some better pics up later that show some other new goodies that are coming soon. The older pictures can be found after.

For the photos Shawn used a variety of lenses and exposures to try and capture the theater. I also took tape off of most of the LEDs on the gear to look nicer but during normal use there are NO lights emitting from any gear that you can see or could compromise the picture.

Front of the room with lights on medium

From the front of the room back at the seating

Shot from the front corner with the equipment lights on and the LED lights in my vinyl shelves on for effect

Equipment Racks in the back

Better look at the VPI, such a gorgeous table. Suspended with a SolidSteel wall shelf and a Gingko platform

Image from Sensaria with Masking System engaged. Exposure is higher and lights are on dim to get a sense of the room around it.

Avatar with the exposure done a little higher

Same but with exposure to mimic the true look to the viewer in the room

The Dark Knight Rises with lights on dim

Me in the photo for a sense of size. I was height limited on the screen overall, but next time I may go with a wider aspect screen (2.1 maybe).
WOW!!!
Amazing room!

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #93 of 116 Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
.. gee, thanks a lot, my scroll finger is going to be sore for days.
AVfile likes this.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.

Last edited by CruelInventions; 08-07-2014 at 01:59 PM.
post #94 of 116 Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Inspiring set up.

Well done.

Receiver: Pioneer SC-LX88 | Power amp: Arcam FMJ P777 | Speakers: | Atmos Speaker set up 5.1.4: Dali Helicon 400 MK2'S | MK2 C200 | Phantom in walls | 4 x Phantom Kompas | Sub: Paradigm Sub1 | Source: OPPO 105D | Proj: JVC 950 | TV: Kuro 500A | Tivo 1TB | Harmony Ultimate | IPad Mini Retina |
post #95 of 116 Old 08-08-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Thanks guys. Some new stuff coming to the room soon. New mains are being built as I type this. Pictures will be added when the time comes. Also just swapped my Lumagen 2041 for the newer 2143.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #96 of 116 Old 08-11-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Thanks guys. Some new stuff coming to the room soon. New mains are being built as I type this. Pictures will be added when the time comes. Also just swapped my Lumagen 2041 for the newer 2143.
Nice...Are you able to share what mains are in the pipeline? Or is a surprise??? BTW, does the 2143 allow for UHD passthrough? I remember the last 21XX crop didn't, which is why I stood on the sidelines. If they're doing UHD passthrough now, then I need to order one asap!
post #97 of 116 Old 08-11-2014, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Yes I am interested in what's coming too. The Focus sure didn't last long . . .
post #98 of 116 Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are you going with the Legacy Aeris??
post #99 of 116 Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 AM

I'm rooting for Whisper, if he's staying in the Legacy line

post #100 of 116 Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM

Yeah, not sure if he is staying with the Legacy line either. The Whispers sound spectacular! Make you feel, you are right at the performance! I just got the Focus SE, Marquis and the Phantoms and they are fantastic! Love the sound and can't wait to get them all setup for good. They blow away my recent setup that was Definitive Technology(which I really liked), just what you can hear in speech during a movie is unreal!
post #101 of 116 Old 08-19-2014, 03:32 PM

I've been very interested in the Whispers for over 15 years. Not very likely to happen though. That's a large chunk of change -- just a pair of those would eat up my entire current A/V budget twice over. So I would have to live vicariously through somebody -- and a guy like Mr. Deering who has heard a ton of speakers would be an interesting source for opinions.

Okay, it's not all about me, so hopefully whatever he gets turns out awesome for him.

post #102 of 116 Old 08-19-2014, 05:15 PM

I agree with you, what ever he gets I hope it turn out to be fantastic for him! Can't wait to hear and see what's coming tho!
post #103 of 116 Old 09-10-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
post #104 of 116 Old 09-10-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I just stumbled into this thread; very cool Kris.
post #105 of 116 Old 09-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Kris, you replaced a very good StudioTek 130 with the 100, what led to your making the switch? Are the results what you expected or not worth the bother?
post #106 of 116 Old 10-25-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
color of panel

Is that a custom color for the wave wood panels. Looks like dark brown . On the website it has light brown or cherry for the color. The one you have pictured is more of a color I need.
post #107 of 116 Old 10-26-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Kris, you replaced a very good StudioTek 130 with the 100, what led to your making the switch? Are the results what you expected or not worth the bother?
I have an article coming out on this soon, should be on Sound and Vision's website. I tried out the 100 and it made enough difference for me to make the switch (less texture and sparkle in the image). Not something I would tell people to rush out and do if they already own the excellent 130, but if they were in the market for a screen and could get away with the 100, I'd lean that way.

Senior Video Editor

post #108 of 116 Old 10-26-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Eman View Post
Is that a custom color for the wave wood panels. Looks like dark brown . On the website it has light brown or cherry for the color. The one you have pictured is more of a color I need.
Just the standard black panels. They've been available in this color for awhile I believe.

Senior Video Editor

post #109 of 116 Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
Yes I am interested in what's coming too. The Focus sure didn't last long . . .
I installed the Aeris this last month. I absolutely LOVED the Focus and would be more than happy to go back to them without missing a beat. Exceptional speaker. The Aeris is a bit more refined in the mid-range and with the Wavelaunch processor it gives you a bit more flexibility in terms of dialing in the speaker. Adding the extra bass driver also provides a bit more resolution with some notes I've noticed but I wouldn't call it night and day. As I would expect the Aeris is just a more polished version of the Focus for those looking for that little bit more. Obviously it is a tremendous price difference for that little bit more, but that is typically what happens when you hit this level of loudspeaker.

Senior Video Editor

post #110 of 116 Old 10-27-2014, 08:22 AM

Cool, congrats on the new speakers.

Curious if you have heard the Whispers?

post #111 of 116 Old 10-27-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Haven't had the chance to hear the Whispers yet unfortunately. Would like to have the opportunity at some point.

Senior Video Editor

post #112 of 116 Old 10-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
I have an article coming out on this soon, should be on Sound and Vision's website. I tried out the 100 and it made enough difference for me to make the switch (less texture and sparkle in the image). Not something I would tell people to rush out and do if they already own the excellent 130, but if they were in the market for a screen and could get away with the 100, I'd lean that way.
Kris,

I'll be looking forward to reading this article as it seems you saw the same or similar aberrations as myself. If I had a white screen, the ST100 would be the only option I would go with. I just saw too many issues in the image on every other white screen I tested. The ST130 wasn't terrible, but I saw quite a bit of sparkles in it as well. Even the JKP Affinity screens which are supposed to be super transparent had major sheen issues. It looked like oil on water, to an extent...rainbow colors.
Kris Deering likes this.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #113 of 116 Old Today, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Haven't had the chance to hear the Whispers yet unfortunately. Would like to have the opportunity at some point.
Great work in the room Kris! Very impressive.
I wanted to ask about the Vicoustic panels and how you went about setting it up? Did someone install for you? How did you know what and where to place these? My room is lacking this and it would be a BIG improvement to get the right panels placed.

Thanks and again, great room!

post #114 of 116 Old Today, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasili8 View Post
Great work in the room Kris! Very impressive.
I wanted to ask about the Vicoustic panels and how you went about setting it up? Did someone install for you? How did you know what and where to place these? My room is lacking this and it would be a BIG improvement to get the right panels placed.

Thanks and again, great room!
The panels are mounted using an epoxy that Vicoustic provides. VERY simple to install. If you don't want to use an epoxy they have other methods and recommendations. The panels are very light (except the wood panels on my rear wall) so you have options. Vicoustic offers both a free or a paid service for recommendations. The free option takes your room and does the low hanging fruit recommendation based on basic acoustic principles (first reflections, bass traps) and this will get you about 85% there. For a small fee they offer a full room model with analysis that will recommend exactly what your room should have and where to place it. If you're coming from nothing or guess work you'd be better off with either method. If you want complete piece of mind go with the full room model. It doesn't cost much and they guarantee the result as long as the analysis and recommendation are followed 100%.

Senior Video Editor

post #115 of 116 Old Today, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
The panels are mounted using an epoxy that Vicoustic provides. VERY simple to install. If you don't want to use an epoxy they have other methods and recommendations. The panels are very light (except the wood panels on my rear wall) so you have options. Vicoustic offers both a free or a paid service for recommendations. The free option takes your room and does the low hanging fruit recommendation based on basic acoustic principles (first reflections, bass traps) and this will get you about 85% there. For a small fee they offer a full room model with analysis that will recommend exactly what your room should have and where to place it. If you're coming from nothing or guess work you'd be better off with either method. If you want complete piece of mind go with the full room model. It doesn't cost much and they guarantee the result as long as the analysis and recommendation are followed 100%.
Thanks for the information, sounds like it shouldn't be too bad. If I were to go with the paid help ,is there a consultant that comes out and does this for an additional fee? Or is it more based on recommendations and they send out what and where they think the products should go?

post #116 of 116 Old Today, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasili8 View Post
Thanks for the information, sounds like it shouldn't be too bad. If I were to go with the paid help ,is there a consultant that comes out and does this for an additional fee? Or is it more based on recommendations and they send out what and where they think the products should go?
That depends. Your options are to go thru Vicoustic direct or thru one of their dealers. I think it depends on whether there is a dealer in the area but you can call Vicoustic directly at their US office and ask. If you deal direct you will provide them with detailed measurements (length, width, height, all obstacles including windows, doors, lights, etc) for your room and then they will send the recommendations for panels and placement. If you go the dealer route I imagine they will want to come out and do the measurements and the install. This will of course cost more as you are paying for their time rather than a DIY approach.

Senior Video Editor

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Lumagen , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Paradigm

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page