Jake's living room setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Of all the years I've been into this hobby, I've only came here while doing research on gear. I would google some thing and I would read a post from someone on that piece. Only recently have I signed up, boy have I been missing out! So many people that share the same passion as me. Yea I have friends that will check my system out and say " how loud is it"? That's cool but they don't appreciate it like me, or now all of you! They don't understand how much time is put into building a system. All the research, time stashing money, all the things you need to consider for WAF. When I hit play.... close my eyes.....and get lost in the music, they just don't understand what it's like. Anyone...anyone??

Well enough babbling.....I've been lurking around these parts for the past few days. I must say there are some really really nice systems that you guys have!! So I thought I would show off mine. I just recently finished it! (I think I just jinxed my self) smile.gif Well at least for now. Baby on the way so upgrades may have to wait awhile. Lol perfect timing huh....maybe I planned it that way. Finish system.....then have baby. smile.gif

So here it is......

TV-
-Samsung HL61-A750 LED DLP calibrated using Lee Bailys recipe

SPEAKERS
-klipsch rf-83 mains
-klipsch rc-62 center
-klipsch rs-52 surrounds

SUBS
-velodyne DD-12
-velodyne DD-15

POWER MANAGEMENT
-Panamax m5300

AVR
-onkyo tx-nr3009 (used as pre/pro)

AMPLIFICATION
-emotiva XPA 1 x 2
-emotiva XPA 3
-black trim installed

BLU RAY/ GAME/ CD
-ps3 slim 250 gig

PHONO
-technics sl-1200 that has been modded by KAB
-graham slee gram amp 2 pre amp
-rewired tonearem
-ortofon OM-30 cart
-herbies way exellent mat

Wiring
-tributaries and audioquest

REMOTE
-harmony one
-ps3 adapter

Stand was custom built by me to fit each individual piece of gear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hope fully everything worked out.....I'm a noob at this forum stuff and I used my iPhone for all of it.

post #3 of 43 Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmm I don't think all my pics loaded. I posted like 15, only see one. Wtf?

post #4 of 43 Old 02-14-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark

post #5 of 43 Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok got on my Mac and figured it out. Sorry for the grainy pictures, done off iPhone. If you notice in one of the pictures I have my cannon T1i SLR on the coffee table. Go figure huh.....

post #6 of 43 Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
You should just sell off you gear...with a baby on the way there is NO way you are going to be able to play anything loud anymore mad.gif

haha very clean set up though! Liking the stand.

Have you tried toeing in the speakers or do you prefer having them where they are?
Regarding the dipole/bipole speakers, I'm not experienced with them but have you tried mounting them to the sides of the LP?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #7 of 43 Old 02-15-2013, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Glad to see another CA fellow AV enthusiast representing!! Nice job, excellent gear, well put together and most of all, congrats on the little one - you're going to have a blast!
post #8 of 43 Old 02-15-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You should just sell off you gear...with a baby on the way there is NO way you are going to be able to play anything loud anymore

Well he is already experiencing near reference levels in the womb. With the DD-15 right next to the couch....there is some pretty intense bass. I'll just have to break him in slowly. smile.gif eventually he will like it just like daddy.....loud and clean!

Have you tried toeing in the speakers or do you prefer having them where they are?
Regarding the dipole/bipole speakers, I'm not experienced with them but have you tried mounting them to the sides of the LP?

Yes I have toed them in, but just to hear the difference. It does sound better but due to real estate it is not practical. My front door is just to the left of my DD-12. So when the door opens, there is only about 4" of clearance. If I toe them in it takes up more room. As far as the surrounds I have not tried them on the side. They sound pretty good where they are though.

post #9 of 43 Old 02-15-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

You should just sell off you gear...with a baby on the way there is NO way you are going to be able to play anything loud anymore

Well he is already experiencing near reference levels in the womb. With the DD-15 right next to the couch....there is some pretty intense bass. I'll just have to break him in slowly. smile.gif eventually he will like it just like daddy.....loud and clean!

Yes I have toed them in, but just to hear the difference. It does sound better but due to real estate it is not practical. My front door is just to the left of my DD-12. So when the door opens, there is only about 4" of clearance. If I toe them in it takes up more room. As far as the surrounds I have not tried them on the side. They sound pretty good where they are though.

Understandable! All that matters is that you are enjoying your set up. Your kid is going to be a bass addict...gonna start asking for a subM or something for his bday lol..

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #10 of 43 Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i dug some photos of me putting together my stand/rack. I don't have any photos of the fabrication, because well......I was to busy fabricating. I used 5/8 stainless steel threaded rod that I polished. All the nuts and washers are stainless steel and polished as well. I used 3/4 MDF for the shelves. I measured each peace of gear that I had, and took measurements off cut sheets of gear that was on the wish list. Once design was done I cut all sheets, drilled all the holes for the treaded rod and put a 45 degree angle relief cut on the top edge. The top shelf is actually two pieces glued together, this gives it a beefier look. I sealed the edges, and primed the top and bottom. 5 coats of black lacquer were applied followed by 7 coats of clear. A thorough wet sand and polish finished things off. It took awhile to complete, but I took my time. Wanted it to be flawless, which it is. cool.gif It tips the scales at about 225 pounds with no gear on it. Loaded down its pushing 700 pounds.

AppleMark
AppleMark

AppleMark

post #11 of 43 Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 AM

Liked: 15
Nice setup!smile.gif
post #12 of 43 Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Great setup and very nice DiY stand, congrats and greetings! smile.gif

-
Rodrigues
post #13 of 43 Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Wow, great job on the stand. You’ve got to love the Klipsch speakers. The Emotivas must bring the speakers alive! Half the fun of this hobby is the research, purchase and construction of the finished furnishings and rooms and then the enjoyment of using and tweaking! Congratulations on your baby on the way. I'm trying to get my son to catch the home theater bug as well. JT
post #14 of 43 Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you all for the kind words! I've been building this system for the better part of 5 years. Just recently I finished it buy replacing my pio elite avr with the onkyo 3009.

Yes the emotiva's open up the klipsch's a lot. They sound fantastic!! I know they are overkill for the klipsch's but I like the headroom. Even though there very sensitive, when they have to dig deep the impedence drops. With three 8" woofers trying to put out low notes, they need some good power. This is only in 2 ch though, with movies they are x-over at 80hz.

I could not find a stand anywhere that would accommodate all my gear. Those amps are pretty beastly! I've been in the construction field for 12 years or so. I used some of my old carpentry skills from the past to accomplish it.

I'm glad I finally signed up here, there is so much info that is just waiting to be read. Thanks again for the kind welcome and the kind remarks of my system! She's my baby smile.gif

post #15 of 43 Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 PM

Liked: 17
Excellent job. And congratulations.

Now all you need are two sets of headphones. A wireless set. And a kickass wired set. If you really love listening sessions, they will come in handy for you.

All the best!

Photo Tour of my home - 2ch, 3.1, & 5.1 builds 
Thanks to all the AVS members. This is a great community.

post #16 of 43 Old 02-25-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Lol I heard that! All this gear and there is going to be no way ill be able to listen to it loud for a long time. That's why I have been having some intense movie and music sessions. I actually have been thinking of some nice head phones, do you know of any good brands? My wife got me some turtle beach wireless headphones last year for x-mas. There were made for gaming and I returned them immediately, did not sound good at all.

post #17 of 43 Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Its been a while since i posted but Im back. I had my son and Imo the happiest man in the world!! Now that things have calmed down around the house Imo back at my passion. I am in the market for a new sub, and Imo leaning twards a couple subM f2's. My velo's are on CL and hopefully they sell soon because i got the itch! I wish i started this thread when i started building my system so i could post my build....but thats not the case so ill start now.

post #18 of 43 Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:

Its been a while since i posted but Im back. I had my son and Imo the happiest man in the world!! Now that things have calmed down around the house Imo back at my passion. I am in the market for a new sub, and Imo leaning twards a couple subM f2's. My velo's are on CL and hopefully they sell soon because i got the itch! I wish i started this thread when i started building my system so i could post my build....but thats not the case so ill start now.

Congratulations on bringing a new life into the world!!!  You're going to love the SubM F2's, BTW.  Can't go wrong with a pair.

post #19 of 43 Old 07-19-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Brolic!!! It's a pretty good feeling to become a dad! I hope I will love the subM's, there sure is a lot of hipe about then. The velo's sound good but feel there is room for improvment. I havnt got any bites yet on the velo's which is driving me crazy because I am anxious to place a order! I'm selling as much as I can to get 2 of them. My old pio elite AVR, my turntable and pre amp, my two subs, a old iPhone......everything I can think of. This is the part of the hobby that keeps me going, the anticipation. Knowing what you want but having to wait.

post #20 of 43 Old 07-26-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If anyone is interested I'm selling my velodyne digital drive subs. PM if your interested.

post #21 of 43 Old 09-25-2013, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow, nice setup and the stand looks great. How did you get that finish on the MDF? from the pictures I thought it was glass until I read where you described how it was built.
post #22 of 43 Old 09-25-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the compliment man!!

It's actually automotive paint, or lacquer same thing. My brother in law owns a RV repair shop and he has a body shop. I did all the prep work....priming, and block sanding myself. I had his painter spray the black base coat, the clear coat, and then he polished it. It came out really nice. I was searching everywhere for a cabinet that could accommodate all my gear and I couldn't find anything close. So I decided to build my own.

post #23 of 43 Old 09-25-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update on my system.....I sold my DD-15 last night, now just waiting for the DD-12 to go. I will be ordering a TC Sounds LMS 5400 ultra soon. Going to do dual 5400's with a clone amp. I went back and forth between that and a pair of seaton F2's. I decided on the LMS because I can get probably better performance at a fraction the cost.

post #24 of 43 Old 09-25-2013, 05:36 PM

You won't be disappointed with 2 of those and a clone.
post #25 of 43 Old 09-25-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

LMS ordered......will arrive next Wednesday! Now I just need to get a box figured out. Also I need to find a temp amp situation. I can reconfigure my system and utilize my 2 emotiva XPA-1's. They are 1000 watt at 4 ohm, I heard they can go 2 ohm as well at 1750. I've never heard of them being used as sub amps.......just a thought. Until I sell either my turntable or my other DD-12 I won't have a amp for this bad boy. I want a sealed box and size really isn't a concern. Should I go with BB PLY or MDF? Glue and screws or is a nail gun ok? Dumb question but how do I wire a dual voice coil sub. If anyone advice it would be greatly appreciated.

post #26 of 43 Old 09-26-2013, 12:49 PM

If the subs coils are 2 ohm, in series will give you 4 ohm. In parallel will give you 1 ohm.

see this: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=1&I=22
post #27 of 43 Old 09-26-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmm is there a way to use two amps? One per voice coil? I'm just a little antsy....I want to build a box and hear it!

post #28 of 43 Old 09-26-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Now that I think about it, the only control on gain would be in my avr, and I'm not sure it the range available is enough. Just thinking out loud here.

post #29 of 43 Old 09-26-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Hmm is there a way to use two amps? One per voice coil? I'm just a little antsy....I want to build a box and hear it!

Technically yes but may be a little dangerous. For example, if you had one amp #1 driving coil A of the driver, and one amp #2 driving coil B of the driver with exactly the same signal and power, then it would be fine. The issue is you can't guarantee the exact same signal and power. If amp #2 was off, and amp #1 was driving the sub, current would flow from coil B to amp #2. Not something you generally want to have happen. Most sub manufacturers; the ones I have ever seen; recommend using both coils at the same time, weather in series or in parallel, never only just 1 of the 2 coils.
post #30 of 43 Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I'm planning my box build and looking at materials. I've heard a lot around here that 13 ply Baltic birch is the good stuff to build with. I also heard it was pricey.......I didn't think it would be $140 a sheet pricey! I called around my town and couldn't find it, so I had to call San Jose and I found 2 suppliers. $140 at one place and $179 at the other. Not as cheap as MDF but I guess if you spending a thousand dollars on a sub it isn't that bad. I'm going to do a double wall box with a triple baffle. I was going to use BB ply for all of it but now I think ill use MDF for the internal box and the BB for the outside. I plan to stain the box black with India ink and I want the grain of the birch.

Anyway the sub is on its way in hope to see it on Wednesday!

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Klipsch Rf83 Black Each 2 Way Reference Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 52 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Onkyo Tx Nr3009 , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote
Gear in this thread - Nr3009 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page