Home Theaters in Practice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I'm quite new to this forum, but I hoped to find more images of Home Theater setups existing elsewhere. When browsing the web, I consistently only find the batcave images and those of professional HT creators that would cost several years of my income.

Therefore, I start this thread. Any owners of Home Theaters (not your regular living room, but dedicated setups) are invited to post their images here. To kick-off, I will start posting the images of my own cinema-room.

Regards, Michael

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Michael,

That's a cool set up.

One thing though that nags at me when I see rooms like this...

Am I correct in that yours is a dedicated room for your home theater?

If so, I have to ask: Is there any reason you chose a white screen, white ceiling, white walls which are guaranteed to lower your picture quality?
That's pretty much the worst scenario for a projection based system, dedicated room or not. Darker paint, or curtains, aren't that expensive so I'm curious about this choice.

(Apologies if that seems to start of the responses with a downer...)
post #3 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Michael,

That's a cool set up.

One thing though that nags at me when I see rooms like this...

Am I correct in that yours is a dedicated room for your home theater?

If so, I have to ask: Is there any reason you chose a white screen, white ceiling, white walls which are guaranteed to lower your picture quality?
That's pretty much the worst scenario for a projection based system, dedicated room or not. Darker paint, or curtains, aren't that expensive so I'm curious about this choice.

(Apologies if that seems to start of the responses with a downer...)

I think it is a great start for a theater as we have to start someplace. Starting with a projector versus a big screen is a huge step in building a more enveloping presentation.
But in addition to the paint change I would also highly recommend talking to someone like GIK to get some assistance on controlling the acoustics in the room.

Nice room and I'm sure you are enjoying your theater.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Those chairs are the real deal! I do agree that the walls need to be painted dark though. I just went from white walls to a darkly painted, dedicated setup and the minimal light-based room reflections do increase both the real and perceived contrast. Are those actual movie theater seats?
post #5 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. Just to answer a few questions: (1) Yes, it is a dedicated room and even though I live in the city centre of Antwerp, no neighbor has a room adjecent to my cinema (so I can put the volume just a little louder smile.gif ) (2) Are they actual movie theater seats? Yes and no: yes, they are the exact same seats bought from a firm that usually puts them in theaters but no, these have never been in an actual movie theater. (3) Yes, I am immensely enjoying my HT-setup.

As for the color of my walls and ceiling: they are white now, because they were white before. I did put in red velvet curtains to darken the room and soften the sound. The screen is a DIY build, using a special cinema paint. I would love to paint the room in either in very dark blue or darker brown (like the floor). However, this would take some time, since I would have to take everything out of the room first. Considering that my house is relatively large and there are some other rooms still unfinished, the real problem is not buying the paint, but convincing the wife to do this first. Hence, for the next year or five they will remain white.

post #6 of 10 Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Good, nice to hear that reflection control is in your future. smile.gif

Now about those speakers...biggrin.gif

(Any reason you've gone for the Big PIcture experience but in a room with all that space have chosen a miniature speaker system? Are upgrades in your future? This is why you come here, see, to be compelled to upgrade...wink.gif)
post #7 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

LOL. I love to be "compelled" to upgrade, but for the next five years or so I do not expect much (well, maybe the wall-paint) and some minor changes. However, a guy gotta have a dream tongue.gif

About the speakers: yes, they are small but they have enough power for my needs. For one thing, I would like to keep my ears working. They are not the best to start out with, but they still enjoy the surround effects and clarity of sound. In some scenes of "Arietty the Borrower" (Studio Ghibli), the rain falling down in the garden is so real that I stopped the movie to see if it was actually raining outside (it was that kind of wheather, but outside it wasn't raining. When playing "Tron Legacy" the bass is also such that my wife can hear it two floors downstairs. Hence, this setup is fine with me.

On the other hand: I would love to upgrade the receiver to a model capable of passing 3D HDMI signals in order to be able to upgrade the projector to a full HD 3D model (like Optoma HD25 of HD33). It's not that I am seeing pixels now, but an image quality upgrade will never hurt.

Right now, my setup is connected in a way that should not work according to Philips (brand of my receiver and BDP) nor Optoma (brand of the 3D-XL and projector). The BDP signal is passed to the 3D-XL and the 3D-XL output is passed through the receiver. This last connection should not work, since the HDMI 1.3 throughput of the receiver is supposed to eliminate the 3D signal added by the 3D-XL. However, for some reasing, the 720p 3D signal from the 3D-XL (different from a true HDMI 1.4 signal with the same spec) is perfectly transmitted through the receiver and the projector accepts it as a 3D signal. Hence, since both brand assured me this would not work, I was worried at first, but everything just works nicely. The solution they did advice me, involving an HDMI 1.4 active signal repeater, did not work at all: as soon as one non-3D capable device was connected, the repeater 'downgraded' every signal to HDMI 1.3 without 3D.

post #8 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFranssen View Post

LOL. I love to be "compelled" to upgrade, but for the next five years or so I do not expect much (well, maybe the wall-paint) and some minor changes. However, a guy gotta have a dream tongue.gif

I hear you.

BTW, when it comes to "saving your ears" I can understand that as I have sensitive ears as well, and I work all day doing sound effects for film and TV, so I don't want to screw up my hearing at all. Hearing comfort isn't necessarily tied to the size or frequency range of speakers, but to the quality of the sound. I have large speakers but my room is well treated and the speakers are low distortion and smooth sounding, so even after a long day of sound editing I can enjoy my home theater, watching movies with rich full sound that does not stress my ears.

If it comes to upgrading your equipment, (especially speakers) never forget the used market. Many of us have put together top-tier equipment for fractions of the new cost by buying on sites like Audiogon (sound gear) and Videogon...and also selling among AVSmembers.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Update: my HD67n and 3D-XL are sold and now replaced by an HD131x. Full HD and full 3D. Also my DLP-link glasses have been replaced with a RF controlled System. Much better now. I am a happy chap! rolleyes.gif

post #10 of 10 Old 05-17-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
looks great man.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page