Home Cinema on a budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-08-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, hello smile.gif I've found so many threads here through Google over the years, so I thought I might aswell register.

Here's my on-a-budget-setup:

Acer X1311WH 720p projector
Toshiba Regza somethingsomething 32" (from 2006) - this was in the bedroom but has been replaced there with my 2009 Samsung LE46B530 that won't fit in the livingroom anymore :/
100" DIY projector screen*
Onkyo HTR-380
4x Heco Victa 200
Magnat Monitor Supreme 250 center
LG BD350 Blu-ray player
Toshiba HD EP1 HD-DVD player
Xbox 360
Zotac MAG HTPC with XBMC
Logitech diNovo mini remote
Dual record player

*I'm especially proud of the screen as I made it myself for around 40 €. I was sick of my cheap white roll-up screen so I decided to build a wooden frame and play around with different grey and black materials. I found a very dark grey bedsheet for 9 € that does the job brilliantly. I love how I can turn on the lights in the room without losing too much image quality smile.gif

Still to do: Hide those cables on the floor, get some more shelfs for my 200 Blu-rays and HD-DVDs.

So, tell me what you think smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-08-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Hi and welcome on-board this HT system config. thread.

First off, here's a big congrats to you for your fantastic setup. Especially for the DIY jumbo screen which already make me jealous! smile.gif

As regards the audio setup part, I may have a few comments to you if you don't mind that may improve the SQ (Sound Quality) a bit.

Let's see.

1. Center speaker: if you pull it closer to the front edge of the cabinet and find a creative way to tilt it upward (you're good at such sports as I can figure) LOL, to make it face seated ear height at the MLP (Main Listening Position), i.e. practically the middle seat on the couch it will result in improved dialog intelligibility. Speakers not only deliver their widest frequency range when on-axis to our ears, but also deliver their highest SPL (Sound Pressure Level) as well. Worth to try, costs nothing! smile.gif On a second note a carpet or rug between "coffee table" (or that standard pallet) will tame so-called reflections in the mid to high frequency range, again improving intelligibility of dialogs by lessening so-called "smearing" of sounds. Costs some amount, nothing dangerously expensive should be considered.

2. Front Left & Right speaker positioning. Best results can be achived for sound stage imaging when toed-in (angled) toward the MLP. See explanation of speaker behaviour as above.

3. Surround speakers: can't comment coz I don't see them on your pictures.

4. Subwoofer: can't comment again coz I think you haven't purchased one yet (at least it's not in your equipment list). A subwoofer is usually regarded as an integral part of a modern Home Theater system. A sub with a driver of 12 " or higher is considered a sub!

5. Reflective glass surfaces: any female member in the family I'm sure would be glad to assist you by putting up some kinda light curtains that would help again to tame the room's smearing and greatly improve pin-pointing different sound sources in your room.

Seemingly these are small issues but in the end they all can add up to a substantial overall improvement of the SQ in your HT system.

Enjoy! smile.gif
post #3 of 9 Old 04-08-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi,

Very nice setup you have there. You are getting some valuable pointers from the poster above and I would try them, especially the first part of no.1 which I believe would make an immediate difference. You don't need to tilt it much, maybe a couple inches at the most.

+1 for Tori Amos!
post #4 of 9 Old 04-08-2013, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yes...tilt the center up a little and get a subwoofer if you don't have one. I did not see it on your list. Other than that the room looks very good.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #5 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
Nice room, setup and pictures, congrats and thanks for share!

Is there a web link on how you made your screen?

Greetings!

-
Rodrigues
post #6 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your replies and suggestions! I do own an Onkyo sub but I don't really need it as there's more than enough "BOOM" already and anything more would not make my neighbour (who works very early shifts) very happy.

Sorry, Rodrigues ... but it's rather simple: I used a wooden frame like this one

and a dark grey bedsheet "BASIC" from Woolworth Germany.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
No problem and anyway that screen looks great.

Greetings!

-
Rodrigues
post #8 of 9 Old 04-10-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by nook360 View Post

Thanks for your replies and suggestions! I do own an Onkyo sub but I don't really need it as there's more than enough "BOOM" already and anything more would not make my neighbour (who works very early shifts) very happy.

I think many others will agree with me here that we don't buy a subwoofer to "BOOM", moreover not for disturbing our heighbours, eh? The real reason behind is that a sub is needed to nicely extend the low frequency range of our Home Theater system, especially when the recording engineers have placed a lot of audio information into that part of the audio spectrum. smile.gif

You may look up the Manual of your Onkyo, it's very easy to do the setup. Choose "subwoofer: Yes", set all speakers to "small" and select a crossover of 80 Hz allowing to redirect contents below that frequency from speakers to the sub, actually where they belong to.And just call it a day.

Even at modest volumes your gonna hear a real difference. smile.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 04-10-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
^^^^
+1
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page