AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by devotech View Post

Carp,

How do you manage 2.35:1 content? I'm sure the 8350 doesn't have lens memory.

Update: I missed where you said you were zooming by hand. That gives me hope. I have 2.35 aspirations but its definitely gotta be on the cheap.

Oops, missed this sorry. Yeah, you found the answer. If you are height limited I say go 2:35:1 for sure. I've been zooming/taking in and out the masking panels for 2.5 years and it's not that bad. I will like getting a projector that does it at the touch of a button some day but I'm in no hurry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 131 Old 03-29-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 155
You need more woofage rolleyes.gif

And I thought I had a lot of sub power. I'm sure it sounds phenomenal!!!

Very nice!!!!!

R 8:28

post #93 of 131 Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 654
HEY

update your thread. Your pics don't have your acoustic panels on the ceiling. I was trying to reference them to KCNitro07.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #94 of 131 Old 04-02-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Boom smile.gif

Updated first post

009_zpsd23722de.jpg
Scott Simonian and Gorilla83 like this.

post #95 of 131 Old 04-09-2014, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Boom smile.gif

Updated first post

009_zpsd23722de.jpg

Whoa, nice man.

Make a world of difference?

Having experienced Beast's room this last weekend, I think I am going to do what I can to make my room as dead as possible. I really enjoyed it.
Scott Simonian likes this.

post #96 of 131 Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Looks great, Carp! One of these days we'll have to trek out your way and do the KC tour. tongue.gif Summer?

post #97 of 131 Old 04-09-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey East Coast Boys....Talk of an annual AVSforum gathering was mentioned in Beast's thread. KC is centrally located (IE cheap plane tickets and lodging) has a bunch of enthusiasts and a park shelterhouse called the Band Stand which really ROCKs.

Think we should consider doing an AVSforum enthusiast gathering at the Band Stand that could include peeps from all over? Playing loud music is what the Band Stand is for! You can rent the building for $110 for capacities up to 250 people. Electricity included.

I'm going to drop this post into Beast's thread too.

post #98 of 131 Old 04-09-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Whoa, nice man.

Make a world of difference?

Having experienced Beast's room this last weekend, I think I am going to do what I can to make my room as dead as possible. I really enjoyed it.

No, not a huge difference but enough to notice - although I haven't done a blind comparison.

I don't know how dead I want to go, I could see the 212's getting dull sounding in a dead room like you were talking about.

post #99 of 131 Old 04-09-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Looks great, Carp! One of these days we'll have to trek out your way and do the KC tour. tongue.gif Summer?

Archaea's on it!!!! smile.gif

post #100 of 131 Old 04-10-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Those panels look about as big as my basement! lol what are the dimensions?

post #101 of 131 Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ha, optical illusion - I was standing on the 2nd row riser. They are 4 feet by 2 feet.

post #102 of 131 Old 04-10-2014, 01:10 PM

how "deep" are they, thats the part that looks big looks like they hang from the ceiling like 6 "

post #103 of 131 Old 04-10-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is 1.5 inches of space between them and the ceiling and I think they are 3.5 inches thick, maybe 4. They are the 242 GIK panels.

post #104 of 131 Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 AM

lol my ceiling is a whole 7'2" in the basement, Jonathan would hit his head on those i mmy room :P

post #105 of 131 Old 04-12-2014, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mine are 7' 8" so I still think it would work in your room.

post #106 of 131 Old 07-01-2014, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My new JTR 215's

The 8 SI subs are now stacked floor to ceiling in the corners behind the 215's. I made a wooden frame and covered it in velvet to cover the subs.

Scott Simonian likes this.

post #107 of 131 Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 802

carp likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #108 of 131 Old 07-04-2014, 08:21 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 77
ooooh, ahhhh, wow!! That's awesome Carp.
carp likes this.

Last edited by d_c; 07-22-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: kant spel
post #109 of 131 Old 07-16-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bought some new chairs, updated some pictures of the room on the first post.

post #110 of 131 Old 07-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Bass Enabler

MOAR SEATS!!!

Nice and comfy. Always loved your room and it just keeps getting better and better!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #111 of 131 Old 07-21-2014, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
MOAR SEATS!!!

Nice and comfy. Always loved your room and it just keeps getting better and better!

Thanks Scott!

Update on the chairs. I had to take them back. I loved them I thought and they were very comfortable at first but they got crazy hot after about an hour! This happened every time so I took them back and went with real leather should be here in a few weeks. I'm glad I went with a local store instead of just ordering on the internet or I would have been stuck with them.

post #112 of 131 Old 07-21-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Thanks Scott!

Update on the chairs. I had to take them back. I loved them I thought and they were very comfortable at first but they got crazy hot after about an hour! This happened every time so I took them back and went with real leather should be here in a few weeks. I'm glad I went with a local store instead of just ordering on the internet or I would have been stuck with them.
Ahhhh, don't say this. I am planning on buying blind off the Internet. I really don't have a choice as there are really not many places that even carry theater chairs nearby. I never thought about them being hot? We bought one of those foam beds a long time ago and took it back because of the same thing, just to hot, but is was comfy. I think now they make em allot cooler. I gotta find someplace local that sells something like this, but I don't think I am going to find it. I actually bought the same chair Gorilla has in his theater because I like it so much at one of the GTG's. I could get two or three more of them, that could possibly work.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 07-21-2014 at 03:48 PM.
post #113 of 131 Old 07-21-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Ahhhh, don't say this. I am planning on buying blind off the Internet. I really don't have a choice as there are really not many places that even carry theater chairs nearby. I never thought about them being hot? We bought one of those foam beds a long time ago and took it back because of the same thing, just to hot, but is was comfy. I think now they make em allot cooler. I gotta find someplace local that sells something like this, but I don't think I am going to find it.

What are you thinking of buying? I've sat in quite a few chairs now since we have some stores locally that carry HT seating.

So far Row One (they used to be Barcalounger or they merged or something) have been my favorites but I've only sat in the Manhattan style from Row One. The one I bought was a bit "shinier" looking than all the other chairs, I think that type of bonded leather just didn't breath very well.

I went in yesterday and literally sat in another Manhattan that had the non shiny bonded leather for an hour! Yeah, I'm a little OCD. After an hour it was much better than the seat I bought but it was still just a little warm so I figured I'd play it safe, spend more money (yikes) and get the real leather.

I like the Row One Manhattan because it is soft but doesn't get uncomfortable over long periods of time (well, other than getting hot) and it reclines further than the Pallisers. I've sat in many styles of the Pallisers and the Rhumba is my favorite but all of them I wish they reclined further.

I do wish the Manhattan had a higher back, but then there is the issue of blocking the surrounds so it's a trade-off.

I've done so much researching chairs in the last few weeks it's nuts.

post #114 of 131 Old 07-21-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey there's always craigslist

post #115 of 131 Old 07-21-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah I was on CL looking for 2 months or so. I went over to a guy's place that lived a mile away, he had the 4 seat curved middle loveseat configuration. I liked them but didn't love them. I'm very picky about seats for some reason.

post #116 of 131 Old 07-21-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What are you thinking of buying? I've sat in quite a few chairs now since we have some stores locally that carry HT seating.

So far Row One (they used to be Barcalounger or they merged or something) have been my favorites but I've only sat in the Manhattan style from Row One. The one I bought was a bit "shinier" looking than all the other chairs, I think that type of bonded leather just didn't breath very well.

I went in yesterday and literally sat in another Manhattan that had the non shiny bonded leather for an hour! Yeah, I'm a little OCD. After an hour it was much better than the seat I bought but it was still just a little warm so I figured I'd play it safe, spend more money (yikes) and get the real leather.

I like the Row One Manhattan because it is soft but doesn't get uncomfortable over long periods of time (well, other than getting hot) and it reclines further than the Pallisers. I've sat in many styles of the Pallisers and the Rhumba is my favorite but all of them I wish they reclined further.

I do wish the Manhattan had a higher back, but then there is the issue of blocking the surrounds so it's a trade-off.

I've done so much researching chairs in the last few weeks it's nuts.
Well I was going to do 5 seats. One row of 3 and maybe 2 in the back that do not recline. I really don't have the room to do two rows, but thought I could put in a pair of regular movie seats in the back for the kids along with a few high end nice seats for the adults in the front. I could just do a row of 4 and worry about a 2nd row riser later on and do something like you did with a riser build. I want something nice for sure, I was thing about $699 or so a chair?. I chatted with Jonathan about it and he said being a big guy I want something that sinks in nice. I have looked on the theater seat store and they have a million on them, I don't even know where to start. This week I am working on chairs and a screen. So my nerves are shot at this point. Does not help being a noob. My sheet rock is done, so It is getting close to time to get this stuff ordered.

My System

post #117 of 131 Old 07-21-2014, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Well I was going to do 5 seats. One row of 3 and maybe 2 in the back that do not recline. I really don't have the room to do two rows, but thought I could put in a pair of regular movie seats in the back for the kids along with a few high end nice seats for the adults in the front. I could just do a row of 4 and worry about a 2nd row riser later on and do something like you did with a riser build. I want something nice for sure, I was thing about $699 or so a chair?. I chatted with Jonathan about it and he said being a big guy I want something that sinks in nice. I have looked on the theater seat store and they have a million on them, I don't even know where to start. This week I am working on chairs and a screen. So my nerves are shot at this point. Does not help being a noob. My sheet rock is done, so It is getting close to time to get this stuff ordered.
If you like to sink in and recline far back the Row One Manhattan might be for you too. However, there is a Plaza model from row one that has a little taller back and compartments in the arms and it's cheaper! Under 1400 delivered for 2 chairs. I'll send you a link, I gotta go to my daughters swim lessons.

post #118 of 131 Old 07-23-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you like to sink in and recline far back the Row One Manhattan might be for you too. However, there is a Plaza model from row one that has a little taller back and compartments in the arms and it's cheaper! Under 1400 delivered for 2 chairs. I'll send you a link, I gotta go to my daughters swim lessons.
I have a lead on some chairs that are sold right here is Jersey, but unfortunately the place is up by NYC about a 2hr ride. They are Fushions. They seem pretty popular however they are a bit pricy for the Escape's that I like. They are $2600 bucks. They have the cheaper material and they are $300 bucks cheaper. I would like to ride up and sit in them, but that is a haul, not to mention a nightmare with traffic. I may roll the dice and just get them. The wife and I went to dinner last night then went on a hunt for theater chairs. The only ones we found were a curved set of 5 but they had big compartments in-between and the set was huge!! Way to big for my room. On the flip side they were so comfortable, my wife kept saying she loved how she sank in and she loved the power recline. If I had the room I would have bought that set. I would love to find them in a row of 3, but smaller.

http://www.rtheaters.com/FusionColle...cape-1019.html

These are what I want. They even have power headrest This guy is said to be great to deal with. Great CS

ambesolman likes this.

My System

post #119 of 131 Old 07-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Bass Enabler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm torn between those and either these Berkline Reno's or a very similar Octane XL700 in triple curved like that picture.

If you get them (or if you have sat in them) I'd like to know.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #120 of 131 Old 07-23-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm torn between those and either these Berkline Reno's or a very similar Octane XL700 in triple curved like that picture.

If you get them (or if you have sat in them) I'd like to know.
Sure thing. I may jet up there tomorrow if he has them on the floor to sit in. It's about 2 hours away, but the traffic just sucks in that area.

He also told me he has new model under the Escape called the Streamline, he is taking preorders for them now. Might be something else to look at. I will be sure to let you know what I find. These Escapes are so sweet.

My System

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Cerwin Vega Cv 5000 High Performance Power Amplifier , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , Pioneer Elite Vsx 53 Av Network Receiver 7 1 Channel 3d , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350
Gear in this thread - 212ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page