Hello/Introduction - New to the Forum! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I just wanted to introduce myself being new to the forum and relatively new to being a home theater enthusiast. I had recently been saving a good bit of cash for an engagement ring that I didn't end up having to buy... so I decided to spend some on setting up the foundation of a decent home theater setup. I just purchased an Onkyo 616 receiver and Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker set up to go along with the Samsung Blu-Ray player and LG 42" tv I already had.

I did a lot of research before deciding on those components and one week in I'm just getting it all set and dialed in and so far I'm very pleased! I intend on adding some more speakers to complete the 7.2 set up and several additions/upgrades over time and found this forum would help me along as I continue and grow my setup! I'm getting increasingly interested in hi-fi and quality audio as well, including vinyl (which I have a decent old Panasonic radio/turntable set up). Anyway, I look forward to your help and guidance in the future!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Pics or it didn't happen tongue.gif
post #3 of 17 Old 07-24-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm in a smallish apartment, but here ya go! :)It's a start!
post #4 of 17 Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

I think next I need to add some cooling for the receiver. Maybe some soft lighting too?
post #5 of 17 Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaker stands would do those fronts wonders.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-24-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

I've been looking at some speaker stands on Amazon today actually (Gotta love Prime!). Any suggestions or DIY stand tips? I know I've read that the cheap-o metal ones can alter the sounds of the speakers due to the resonance they carry and heavier ones are better.

Also, I'm going to have to start working on acoustics of the room with that tile floor and all.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-26-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 283

Hey there, starting off your first theater with an Energy Take Classic system is far better than how most of us started out.  You definitely did your research and congrats on entering the fray of this hobby smile.gif  I think metal speaker stands are the only ones that would work for the classics; I doubt the resonance would be audible if you went that route. and most metal stands are hollow (for cable channeling) but if you can live without that, you can fill it with lead-shot or sand (provided the cable channeling hole at the bottom is securely plugged.)  An easy first step to treating the room is getting a nice, thick rug to put down in front of that front-soundstage. I'd say going as wide as you can.  I'd also suggest the shaggy style rug, but any rug will help curb floor reflections. Welcome to one of life's more amazing journeys!

post #8 of 17 Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! I've been doing a little more researching, especially liked the "best upgrade for your buck" thread and right now I'm going to focus on room acoustics. I'm probably going to get/make some speaker mounts for the fronts and surrounds and maybe a sub isolator. My mom is coming to visit next weekend so I'll have her help me get some heavy curtains and a nice rug (if I don't get anxious and do it be for then!).
post #9 of 17 Old 07-26-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I'd also suggest the shaggy style rug...

Yeah baby, yeah!

post #10 of 17 Old 07-26-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

So there are all kinds of random stuff around my office (engineering company) and I think I'm going to make some stands from these blocks:

They're about 8" tall so 4 stacked per side would be about perfect and the angled style would distinguish left and right and give it a unique look. I guess I can just use some thick MDF for base and top plates, but I'm going to look around to see if I can find something with a little flair for plates. I will post pics if/when I get them done!
post #11 of 17 Old 09-11-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Update on my starter setup.

Made up the ridiculous speaker "stands" for the Energy's and almost busted a gut moving them in. But then I caught the killer sale on the Andrew Jones BS-22's and center. I couldn't pass it up for $80 for the pair and 70 for center! So there they are, and front Energy's moed to the back to fill out the 7.1 system. Tv had to be raised in ghetto fashion on packing styrofoam for now. Still working towards some improved acoustics... Cant believe how much a rug can be!

post #12 of 17 Old 09-16-2013, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I can tell by the towel in the window you must be single. I know because I've done that in the past. Nice start. Going by your name are you in SC too?
post #13 of 17 Old 09-17-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post

I can tell by the towel in the window you must be single. I know because I've done that in the past. Nice start. Going by your name are you in SC too?

Single I am, as well as living at "The Beach" SC. Judging by YOUR name you must be a Clemson fan! GO GAMECOCKS!!!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 17 Old 09-17-2013, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Went to school at Coastal Carolina for a while and yes Go Tigers! Rent is due in November.lol
post #15 of 17 Old 09-30-2013, 05:03 PM

Liked: 13
looks sweet.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-08-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Yeah baby, yeah!

Why........that's a very nice shade of blue biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettokrawler View Post

Update on my starter setup.

Made up the ridiculous speaker "stands" for the Energy's and almost busted a gut moving them in. But then I caught the killer sale on the Andrew Jones BS-22's and center. I couldn't pass it up for $80 for the pair and 70 for center! So there they are, and front Energy's moed to the back to fill out the 7.1 system. Tv had to be raised in ghetto fashion on packing styrofoam for now. Still working towards some improved acoustics... Cant believe how much a rug can be!

Palmetto, nice set up, glad to see you implemented the front stands. If I may, try bringing the L/R speakers forward at least in line with the TV stand, then toe them in a bit so the axis would cross just behind your head. Also, bring the center speaker right up to the edge of the cabinet so there is no chance to get reflections off the cabinet from the speaker itself.

Give that a try and see if it adds some depth and detail to your set up.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #17 of 17 Old 10-09-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

The center is pretty much right in line with the front of the stand by default (it's fairly big!) but I'm going to bring the L/R's forward as well and give that a go. I had them toe'd in crossing right in front of me seating, but I'll open that up a little to meet just behind me now!

I also want to mount the TV on the wall for a cleaner look in the near future. My room layout kind of sucks (all very open with adjoining kitchen and dining area) but I'm getting it tuned in better slowly. I started on a AutoCAD drawing of the room and speaker here at work which I need to finish up and post on here for some more ideas.

Thanks again guys for the input!
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page